Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Hybrid Attire

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Hybrid Attire

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-16, 01:59 PM
dj62249

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hybrid Attire

Hello, I've just got back in to cycling last year after about 20 years.

I went for a hybrid because I previously had a mountain bike as a kid and thought I'd build up fitness with a heavier hybrid bike for the first couple of years, then buy a lighter road bike further down the line. I also use it for fair weather commuting.

Until now, I've just been wearing baggy's, but am now starting to think about proper kit. My question is, is it "normal" to wear full lycra on a hybrid or is it kind of frowned upon in the cycling community and/or thought of as unnecessary? Thanks.
Old 03-19-16, 02:13 PM
NYMXer

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix EVO w Hi-Mod frame, Raleigh Tamland 1 and Giant Anthem X

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
I think that you should wear whatever is the most comfortable for you so that the ride is enjoyable and maybe you get a few extra miles in as a result.
When I ride w/ the GF on my hybrid or even cruiser. I still wear cycling shorts and top but sometimes wear a tee shirt too.
Welcome back to the two wheeled world, enjoy!
Old 03-19-16, 03:57 PM
Jarrettsin

Bikes: 2016 Trek FX7.4

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
I wear a mix of cycling and non-cycling gear! I wear what I like and works for me. And could not give a rats tush what anyone thinks.
Old 03-19-16, 08:11 PM
JonathanGennick 

Bikes: Priority 600, Priority Continuum, Devinci Dexter

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 685 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 37 Posts
It is probably not "normal" in the sense of being typical, but I like NYMXer's answer and agree that you should wear whatever makes you comfortable and helps you to enjoy the ride.
Old 03-19-16, 08:28 PM
karentheround

Bikes: Trek 7.4 FX

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I started out wearing sweats and a t-shirt, but found the baggy sweatpants got caught on the seat, so I got a pair of padded Lycra/spandex/whatever-they-are tights, and I was surprised at how much I like them. I wear them with a generic wicking t-shirt that someone would wear for any kind of workout, and sneakers. Not sure how I look from an aesthetic standpoint, but I'm comfortable.

I did a fundraising ride today with dozens of other riders. Some were in full Tour de France gear, others in warm-weather street clothes, and plenty fell somewhere in between. Wear what works for you and you won't go wrong.
Old 03-20-16, 04:43 AM
FrozenBiker 

Bikes: FX Sport 4 Carbon, Nishiki Hybrid (1x9 mod), Raleigh Sport Comfort

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 60 Posts
Originally Posted by dj62249
Until now, I've just been wearing baggy's, but am now starting to think about proper kit. My question is, is it "normal" to wear full lycra on a hybrid or is it kind of frowned upon in the cycling community and/or thought of as unnecessary? Thanks.
Not sure, but you could skim through some of the spandex debate threads to find that answer.
I'm not saying that you should care what they say, but just that the answer to your question may be there.
I used to wear those shorts years ago. Now I use basic cotton shorts from Target that have pockets
Old 03-21-16, 12:13 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Last time I wore the tight fitting cycling togs and cleated shoes was when I rode a road bike with toe clips in the 1970s-'80s. Now I ride a comfy hybrid and usually wear baggy shorts in temps down into the 40s, and whatever shoes I like with platform pedals. The only cycling oriented clothes I have at the moment are a poly blend wicking baselayer undershirt (very comfy at all temps), and occasionally a casual fit solid color Garneau jersey for warmer days. The casual looking cycling jerseys are handy for the rear pockets to stow tissues and inhaler for allergy season. Otherwise I wear the wicking baselayer undershirt with casual pullover shirts.

The wicking baselayer alone is so comfortable I'd buy one or two more before I'd buy shorts with a chamois crotch pad or another cycling jersey. Even in warm weather it's more comfortable than the plain cotton a-shirts I usually wore under cotton pullover and button down dress shirts.

I was reluctant even to spend money on casual fitting cycling jerseys, but over last summer and our unusually warm fall and winter I was sweating and uncomfortable in cotton t-shirts and casual shirts with collars. By the time I'd bicycle to meet friends for a visit to a museum or a show I looked and smelled like a soggy dog. So the sports oriented poly/blend wicking fabrics may be helpful to some folks, and they don't need to look bike-ish. There are plenty of casual looking shorts and shirts that don't look like you just climbed off the saddle.

If I consistently rode faster on a road bike -- at least 15 mph or better -- I might consider snug fitting shorts and jerseys again. It did help when I was younger and faster to reduce wind resistance. But my average speed is 10-12 mph and the looser fitting clothing isn't a real factor, especially since my upright riding position would offset the small gains in skintight clothing.

Last edited by canklecat; 03-21-16 at 12:16 AM.
Old 03-21-16, 03:31 PM
MaxBuck

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My question is, is it "normal" to wear full lycra on a hybrid or is it kind of frowned upon in the cycling community and/or thought of as unnecessary? Thanks.
I wouldn't dream of wearing Lycra cycling clothing, aside from the shorts maybe, even if riding my drop-bar racing bike.

If you saw me, you'd understand. Wear what you like.
Old 03-21-16, 03:54 PM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
Hello, I've just got back in to cycling last year after about 20 years.

I went for a hybrid because I previously had a mountain bike as a kid and thought I'd build up fitness with a heavier hybrid bike for the first couple of years, then buy a lighter road bike further down the line. I also use it for fair weather commuting.

To be a Fred or to be a poseur. That is the question. Go out wearing retro Bell helmet, cutoff jean shorts, and cotton sweatshirt and you are a Fred. Full pro team replica kit and you look like some sort of poseur or Tour de France wannabe.

I say go for it. Plenty of club fit jerseys that are fine, and cycling shorts are mostly about comfort. You probably don't need a race fit jersey, or replica pro team kit, but if you want to go that route, you should wear it proudly.
Old 03-22-16, 11:51 AM
goraman

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In the winter may I suggest a full gorilla suit or bear costume.
With biking cloths over it and a huge over size nut case helmet.
In the summer a Toga.
It will insure drivers will see you, other cyclists will not be able to call you a Fred.
If you do this long enough it may even qualify you for section 8 housing.
If your bike is stolen everyone will know who it belongs to as well.
Old 03-22-16, 01:00 PM
AU Tiger

Bikes: 2018 Fuji Jari 1.5, 2017 Kona Fire Mountain

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 36 Posts
In warmer temps I wear athletic shorts and a good wicking top. Unless I'm doing a long ride (25+ miles), in which case I like to wear padded biking shorts.

In cooler temps I like long spandex pants (often sold as running pants) -- I personally prefer Russell brand (available at Wal-Mart), but other brands such as Champion and Starter make good stuff also. You can also find good long-sleeve tops from those brands which are a blend of polyester and spandex. I also wear a base layer under my shirt in cooler weather. Champion makes one that I really like a lot. And on windy days, a biking jacket is nice for breaking the wind. Good ones have a vent in the back to let the heat out without letting wind in.

I think the biggest thing to keep in mind is that polyester is better than cotton because it wicks moisture. Cotton gets very heavy with sweat. And like several folks have already said, don't worry about what others think -- wear what is comfortable to you.
Old 03-23-16, 08:41 AM
raqball

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 377 Post(s)
Liked 221 Times in 121 Posts
Originally Posted by Jarrettsin
I wear a mix of cycling and non-cycling gear! I wear what I like and works for me. And could not give a rats tush what anyone thinks.
This is me as well.. I wear what's comfortable and I do not like tight fitting clothing. Me? I wear bibs then a loose fitting regular sports type shirt over top and regular old lightweight gym type shorts.

I generally ride about 30-40 miles a day mainly in city traffic..
Old 03-23-16, 09:00 AM
NYMXer

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix EVO w Hi-Mod frame, Raleigh Tamland 1 and Giant Anthem X

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by goraman
In the winter may I suggest a full gorilla suit or bear costume.
With biking cloths over it and a huge over size nut case helmet.
In the summer a Toga.
It will insure drivers will see you, other cyclists will not be able to call you a Fred.
If you do this long enough it may even qualify you for section 8 housing.
If your bike is stolen everyone will know who it belongs to as well.
I will never understand the need for people to post nonsense when the topic of the thread is about looking for help or advice. Here we have a sincere question for someone getting back into a sport they love but for whatever reason, have been out a long time and looking to find what is acceptable. So, yeah, your post helped a lot......
Old 03-23-16, 09:09 AM
goraman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was injecting humor into the whole idea that there is a sense of bicycle fashion.
People are worried about looking like a Fred....
Or a poser.
The whole idea people give a Ratz Butt what you are wearing when riding your bike needs to be put in check.
I'm not the one taking this to seriously, seems you are.
Old 03-23-16, 09:13 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,245 Times in 623 Posts
Wear WHAT you want....Just Ride.

Old 03-23-16, 09:16 AM
NYMXer

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
I was injecting humor into the whole idea that there is a sense of bicycle fashion.
People are worried about looking like a Fred....
The whole idea people give a Ratz Butt what you are wearing when riding your bike needs to be put in check.
I'm not the one taking this to seriously, seems you are.
I think the OP was sincere with his question and seeking qualified help. As a fellow cyclist and member here, I try to offer help when I think I have an answer. I would never consider posting something like you did, whether in jest or an effort to mock the OP's question.
This is not serious to anyone but the OP, hence why he posted the thread and asked for out input. Sad that you thought it necessary to poke nonsense at it.
It's a free world and you can post as you please, all I'm saying is that I don't understand why anyone would post a ridiculous response like yours on a honest request for advice. There are many other threads where that might have been acceptable and funny, I didn't think this one was one of those. So, rather than reconsider your actions, you choose to defend them, that says a lot.
Old 03-23-16, 09:21 AM
raqball

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 377 Post(s)
Liked 221 Times in 121 Posts
Originally Posted by NYMXer
I think the OP was sincere with his question and seeking qualified help. As a fellow cyclist and member here, I try to offer help when I think I have an answer. I would never consider posting something like you did, whether in jest or an effort to mock the OP's question.
This is not serious to anyone but the OP, hence why he posted the thread and asked for out input. Sad that you thought it necessary to poke nonsense at it.
It's a free world and you can post as you please, all I'm saying is that I don't understand why anyone would post a ridiculous response like yours on a honest request for advice. There are many other threads where that might have been acceptable and funny, I didn't think this one was one of those. So, rather than reconsider your actions, you choose to defend them, that says a lot.
I have to agree and it's one of the reasons I stopped coming to this forum over a year ago. My post above is the 1st one I've made in a long time here..

The name calling, Fred or poser is ridiculous in my opinion as is the constant put down and shaming that happen here ALL the time.. People should wear what they want and ride...

The OP wanted serious opinions and hopefully he/she got the answer..
Old 03-23-16, 09:38 AM
goraman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by raqball
I have to agree and it's one of the reasons I stopped coming to this forum over a year ago. My post above is the 1st one I've made in a long time here..

The name calling, Fred or poser is ridiculous in my opinion as is the constant put down and shaming that happen here ALL the time.. People should wear what they want and ride...

The OP wanted serious opinions and hopefully he/she got the answer..
My post was tong in cheek, the idea the op need be concerned at all what people will say about what he wares is a black eye to the cycling community as a whole.
This is just stupid grade school bullying carried into adulthood.
It's riding a bike my son has been doing this since he was 4 , what's the big deal?
Dress like Pee Week Herman if you like.
Unless it's a tweed ride and your concern is bow tie vs. Bolo tie vs. Narrow vs. Wide tie there is no reason to be a Fashion istana to go for a bike ride.

Last edited by goraman; 03-23-16 at 09:48 AM.
Old 03-23-16, 09:44 AM
NYMXer

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
This is just stupid grade school bullying carried into adulthood.
How ironic, so was your gorilla suit post, yet.... here you are still defending it. I guess you just can't let yourself see that post for what it really is
Old 03-23-16, 11:29 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
MTB shorts are a good alternative if you don't want to be seen in lycra. They carry the padding in mesh underoos like swim trunks.
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 03-23-16, 11:37 AM
NYMXer

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
I am still sort of a beginner, and in August when I joined a cycling club, I still wore regular gym shorts over my riding shorts. It bothered a few people, but I didn't care because I was not ready yet to stand in front of everyone with private parts semi exposed without cover.
Now, my modesty went away for comfort since with shorts on, I was sliding around the seat too much. Funny how your priorities change over time, haha

To the OP, wear whatever makes you comfortable. You can always change your mind the next time you go out. It's a bike ride, not a fashion show and no extra points for wearing a clean kit.
Old 03-23-16, 11:56 AM
goraman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If anyone is wondering where I am comming from on this there is another thread where everyone was defining a Fred and posers and all the stereo types in the community .
Read my comments there and just many you will get my position.

If you need some kind of self heroism to get you through the day Merry Christmas Enjoy!
I don't give a rats butt what you or others think of me.

I do think it is sad the op had to even ask the question and I use humor and sarcasm, It's just me.
I don't hang with thin skinned whiners, and no I don't drink, last time was over 2 years ago.

You win,
I'm an ars!
Have a nice day.

!

Last edited by goraman; 03-23-16 at 12:07 PM.
Old 03-23-16, 12:40 PM
sail

Bikes: Yep

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
I either wear or have in my bag a bright green cycling jacket for cold, wind, rain and visibility.
Old 03-23-16, 08:14 PM
yashinon

Bikes: Trek Domane

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
This sort of falls in line with the topic:

Why I Rode Cross-Country Without a Chamois | Bicycling

I do wear a cycling jersey and cycling tights with padding during summer months. Call me a Fred if you want!
Old 03-24-16, 05:49 AM
Jarrettsin

Bikes: 2016 Trek FX7.4

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by raqball
This is me as well.. I wear what's comfortable and I do not like tight fitting clothing. Me? I wear bibs then a loose fitting regular sports type shirt over top and regular old lightweight gym type shorts.

I generally ride about 30-40 miles a day mainly in city traffic..
Yes I ride in NYC one MAMIL (middle aged man in Lycia) won't even turn a head.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.