Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Eroica California , Sept 22. 2024. No Complaining Thread.

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Eroica California , Sept 22. 2024. No Complaining Thread.

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-24, 12:46 AM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4682 Post(s)
Liked 5,803 Times in 2,286 Posts
Originally Posted by Manny66
Myself and Bert ,the Rancho Cucamonga Vintage ride organizer, were discussing doing the Cino-Eroica double this year . Starting in Los Angeles and making the road trip to Cino ,and then back to L.A. area in time for Eroica California in Cambria. Its alot of driving ,but road tripping thru Utah and Idaho doesnt sound like a bad idea at all.
I approve of this message.
Old 03-13-24, 01:06 PM
cottercrank

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
Not complaining

Yes finally. This is going to be my first Eroica, so I'm not complaining but grateful.
Likes For cottercrank:
Old 03-13-24, 04:23 PM
cyclic_eric

Bikes: 1984 Gitane TdF, 1986 Look Équipe, 1983 Colnago Super

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 80 Posts
Originally Posted by cottercrank
Yes finally. This is going to be my first Eroica, so I'm not complaining but grateful.
Anyone riding a cotter pin crank at Eroica deserves bonus points.
If you haven't posted there, please make one in the Introductions section. Once your post-count hits 10, you can share pics of your bikes, which is fun.
I'm either riding this early 80's Colnago, or a Peugeot from the same decade. I'll need to switch to toe clips and straps by then.

Likes For cyclic_eric:
Old 04-13-24, 04:14 PM
bobaguilar

Bikes: Orbea Orca M21i Team, Orbea Avant M20D, 1981 SR Semi-Pro

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Any updates on this ride for 2024? Still hoping for registration to open.
Old 04-13-24, 09:51 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4513 Post(s)
Liked 6,392 Times in 3,676 Posts
Originally Posted by bobaguilar
Any updates on this ride for 2024? Still hoping for registration to open.
Not sure and don't think so but there will be a Classic Rendevous West in Davis Calif. Oct 19.

Show, swap and ride, this may be a good alternative that just might be a better option.

Doing both would be ideal and I would encourage anybody that can to do so.
Old 04-14-24, 07:02 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,831 Times in 1,997 Posts
Both seem to be pretty low key at this point-

I found this for the CR West event

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...bike-show.html

the above is minimal but there is a location, date and time.

Eroica California- they have placed a date but
not much beyond that it appears as of 4-14-2024

Chuck Schmidt pulled the plug on his Velo Rendezvous when there was a lack of pre- registrations. Understandable. California locals are pretty low excitement, spur of the moment folk? The way of things perhaps.
Old 04-14-24, 07:43 PM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked 2,531 Times in 1,059 Posts
Other Eroica events being help at roughly the same time frame have only recently had registration open. I am cautiously optimistic that we Eroica CA will open up soon. If not, maybe I'll just go to Cambria and do some rides on my own or with whoever else shows up. Hey, Faux-roica a few years back was a blast.

The only qualification for riding with me is the ability to tolerate my going kind of slow on the flats and very slow on climbs.
Old 04-14-24, 09:31 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2339 Post(s)
Liked 2,833 Times in 1,545 Posts
Originally Posted by Manny66
Myself and Bert ,the Rancho Cucamonga Vintage ride organizer, were discussing doing the Cino-Eroica double this year . Starting in Los Angeles and making the road trip to Cino ,and then back to L.A. area in time for Eroica California in Cambria. Its alot of driving ,but road tripping thru Utah and Idaho doesnt sound like a bad idea at all.
at first I thought you were riding to Cino an back....which has not been unheard of, but from a closer start

Likes For squirtdad:
Old 04-15-24, 08:59 PM
Manny66 

Bikes: 1973 Colnago Super, Litespeed Classic , Automoto , Pinarello Gavia TSX,Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra,Eddy Merckx EMX-5 , 1982 Moser SL, Concorde TSX, Vitus 979 KAS. Diamant SLX,60's Meteor

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked 947 Times in 327 Posts
Originally Posted by squirtdad
at first I thought you were riding to Cino an back....which has not been unheard of, but from a closer start
Thats alot of cycling for me,, unless there's Beer stops along the way, but then it would take a a few months to complete .
Likes For Manny66:
Old 04-23-24, 12:55 AM
bobaguilar

Bikes: Orbea Orca M21i Team, Orbea Avant M20D, 1981 SR Semi-Pro

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I do not know if there will be an official Eroica California in 2024. My sister, my brother-in-law, and I still plan on riding our vintage bikes in Cambria on September 22, 2024 regardless. We have already rented a house near last year's starting point, and have decided to do our own ride if there is no organized ride. If anyone one else wants to join us, that would be even better.
Our rides are:
1981 SR Semi-Pro
1983 Nishiki Olympic 12
​​​​​​​1986 Nishiki Olympic
Old 04-23-24, 09:20 AM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4682 Post(s)
Liked 5,803 Times in 2,286 Posts
I do not know if there will be an official Eroica California in 2024. My sister, my brother-in-law, and I still plan on riding our vintage bikes in Cambria on September 22, 2024 regardless. We have already rented a house near last year's starting point, and have decided to do our own ride if there is no organized ride. If anyone one else wants to join us, that would be even better.
Our rides are:
1981 SR Semi-Pro
1983 Nishiki Olympic 12
1986 Nishiki Olympic
That's exactly what happened in 2021. COVID upswing cancelled the ride just a few weeks before it was scheduled (not a complaint, right decision IMO). Many had already made reservations, rides were organized, and all had a great time.
Old 04-23-24, 10:15 AM
Caliwild

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked 692 Times in 288 Posts
Our rides are:
1981 SR Semi-Pro
1983 Nishiki Olympic 12
1986 Nishiki Olympic
Sounds like a great idea! I was just up in Cambria last weekend. Riding along the coast was amazing, as there is a road closure up in Big Sur so there are hardly any cars on the road. Tons of elephant seals on the beaches with their little pups playing in the water. Did almost 40 miles along the coast and was distracted by the views the whole time...
Likes For Caliwild:
Old 04-23-24, 10:23 AM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 2,296 Times in 1,283 Posts
That is a very nice place to ride . I have gone up there and ridden even in light rain and not been disappointed. You can ride as far as you like and there are great views around every corner and over every hill.
Old 04-23-24, 02:07 PM
mhespenheide 

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse, LeMond Victoire, Bianchi Campione d'Italia, Kona Hei Hei, Ritchey Ultra, Schwinn "Paramount" PDG, '83 Trek 640

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 211 Posts
Originally Posted by Caliwild
Sounds like a great idea! I was just up in Cambria last weekend. Riding along the coast was amazing, as there is a road closure up in Big Sur so there are hardly any cars on the road. Tons of elephant seals on the beaches with their little pups playing in the water. Did almost 40 miles along the coast and was distracted by the views the whole time...
There was a time about 10 years ago now when there were closures on both the south end of Big Sur and the central/northern section -- but you could take some very small very windy back roads to get into the section between the two closures. I went in, camped, and rode every day for a week. It was amazing.
Likes For mhespenheide:
Old 04-23-24, 04:22 PM
obrentharris 

Bikes: Indeed!

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1508 Post(s)
Liked 3,481 Times in 1,133 Posts
Originally Posted by mhespenheide
There was a time about 10 years ago now when there were closures on both the south end of Big Sur and the central/northern section -- but you could take some very small very windy back roads to get into the section between the two closures. I went in, camped, and rode every day for a week. It was amazing.
Alas, that very windy back road, Nacimiento Ferguson Road, unfortunately suffered huge amounts of damage itself this past winter and is closed.
Brent

Old 04-24-24, 01:03 AM
mhespenheide 

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse, LeMond Victoire, Bianchi Campione d'Italia, Kona Hei Hei, Ritchey Ultra, Schwinn "Paramount" PDG, '83 Trek 640

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 211 Posts
Originally Posted by obrentharris
Alas, that very windy back road, Nacimiento Ferguson Road, unfortunately suffered huge amounts of damage itself this past winter and is closed.
Brent
That just sounds like a good excuse to take a classic NORBA-era mountain bike back there and explore. ...assuming you can get through Fort Hunter-Ligget, that is.