Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Apparently I can still bunny hop - Peugeot City Express Shakedown Run

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-24, 12:50 PM
SoCaled 

Bikes: Cuevas Custom, Cimmaron, 1988 "Pinalized Rockma", 1984 Trek 510, Moulton custom touring, Raleigh Competition GS, Bridgestone Mb-2 & 3, 1980's Peugeot - US, City, & Canyon Express (6)

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 3,777 Times in 1,850 Posts

Just swapped the wheels on one of my Peugeot ATB's. Decided to take it out to run some errands, to see how everything was working. My store trips are always a bit more "adventurous" than just going for a ride. I have to go on roads and intersections I would normally avoid, if given the choice. Everything started as usual, bike lane for first part of the trip, adjacent curbside parking gets crowded as I enter town. I always keep to the outside of the bike lane and keep my eyes peeled, but this ride was a bit, extra. I had at least 20 people open their door in front of me in a span of 4-5 blocks, I had to just laugh, about a 50/50 split between folks getting into and out of there cars, almost all made eye contact before opening the door! I get through that area, to a section where there are now no cars parked along the bike lane, so clear sailing? Felt a rumble and a breeze as a Garbage truck passes me, by inches, while making a hard cut into the bike lane I am occupying, instantly decelerating in front of me to make a right turn. Rocks and sand kicked up at me and I was being pinched between the truck and the sidewalk, I had no where to go (forward) and no chance of stopping before hitting the side of the truck. Instinct took over and (much to my surprise) I leaned to the right and bunny hopped the curb, onto the sidewalk, to safety.

Bunny Hop machine
Old 04-09-24, 01:15 PM
Maxey

Bikes: 2022 Ibis Ripmo AF, 2022 Cannondale Synapse, 2022 Ritchey Outback, 197(?) Manufrance Touring

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 84 Posts
Well done! I have no idea how you can bunny with hop platform pedals -- I can only do it when I'm clipped in.
Old 04-09-24, 01:41 PM
juvela

Mentioned: 415 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3815 Post(s)
Liked 3,345 Times in 2,182 Posts
-----

must be all that practice time you put in with Al Jarvis & his "Make Believe Ballroom"

-----
Old 04-09-24, 03:08 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4513 Post(s)
Liked 6,392 Times in 3,676 Posts
Originally Posted by SoCaled
Just swapped the wheels on one of my Peugeot ATB's. Decided to take it out to run some errands, to see how everything was working. My store trips are always a bit more "adventurous" than just going for a ride. I have to go on roads and intersections I would normally avoid, if given the choice. Everything started as usual, bike lane for first part of the trip, adjacent curbside parking gets crowded as I enter town. I always keep to the outside of the bike lane and keep my eyes peeled, but this ride was a bit, extra. I had at least 20 people open their door in front of me in a span of 4-5 blocks, I had to just laugh, about a 50/50 split between folks getting into and out of there cars, almost all made eye contact before opening the door! I get through that area, to a section where there are now no cars parked along the bike lane, so clear sailing? Felt a rumble and a breeze as a Garbage truck passes me, by inches, while making a hard cut into the bike lane I am occupying, instantly decelerating in front of me to make a right turn. Rocks and sand kicked up at me and I was being pinched between the truck and the sidewalk, I had no where to go (forward) and no chance of stopping before hitting the side of the truck. Instinct took over and (much to my surprise) I leaned to the right and bunny hopped the curb, onto the sidewalk, to safety.

Bunny Hop machine
Glad you pulled that off, could have been a much different outcome.

Looks like you were on the perfect bike from here, great work on this.
Likes For merziac:
Old 04-11-24, 09:08 PM
SoCaled 

Bikes: Cuevas Custom, Cimmaron, 1988 "Pinalized Rockma", 1984 Trek 510, Moulton custom touring, Raleigh Competition GS, Bridgestone Mb-2 & 3, 1980's Peugeot - US, City, & Canyon Express (6)

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 3,777 Times in 1,850 Posts
Originally Posted by juvela
-----

must be all that practice time you put in with Al Jarvis & his "Make Believe Ballroom"

-----
I don't usually bunny hop at the car hop, but when I do, I am happy to do it to the sounds of the "Make Believe Ballroom".
"The Hep Parade of '49 . . ." I'm in!

Irving Ashby - Nat Cole - Joe Comfort

image from - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0041620.../rm1818812673/
Likes For SoCaled:
Old 04-12-24, 08:19 AM
Breadfan

Bikes: Niner RLT 9, 1972 Nishiki Road Compe, Jamis Renegade, Specialized Roubaix

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 39 Posts
Originally Posted by Maxey
Well done! I have no idea how you can bunny with hop platform pedals -- I can only do it when I'm clipped in.
Huh? We used to bunny hop trash cans on our BMX bikes and rat trap pedals! Same as a skateboard, you just do it.
Old 04-12-24, 08:58 AM
Maxey

Bikes: 2022 Ibis Ripmo AF, 2022 Cannondale Synapse, 2022 Ritchey Outback, 197(?) Manufrance Touring

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 84 Posts
Originally Posted by Breadfan
Huh? We used to bunny hop trash cans on our BMX bikes and rat trap pedals! Same as a skateboard, you just do it.
Well there you go -- you were a BMX rider and I, unfortunately, never really had the opportunity to ride BMX bikes -- they didn't even really exist when I was a kid, and as a young adult, moved straight into mountain bikes when they came out. One thing I did notice, however, is that when I started riding mountain bikes back in the '80s, the guys who had a BMX background were better riders when it came to the technical riding, including bunny hopping, of course.