Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Alternatives/recommendations re: EA70, Wing Pro Compact, Ergonova?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-09, 02:25 PM
jhmiller

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm looking to replace the ITM SuperOver 330 that came stock with my Litespeed. The reach is a bit long for my 5'7" height, and the 154mm drop is too deep. Worst are the big looping drops -- if the brifters are mounted high enough to be comfortable on the hoods, I can't comfortably reach the levers while in the drops.

So I'm looking for a reasonably priced "compact" bar with a flat lead-in to the hoods. So far the candidates are the Easton EA70, the FSA Wing Pro Compact, and the 3T Ergonova Pro. I also looked at the Deda Supernatural, which is apparently the Newton retuned to complement Shimano hardware, but it's significantly more expensive than the other three; I'm also suspicious of Deda's 209g weight claim for an alu bar.

Any other bars I should consider with similar specs and in this price range (call it $40-80)? Input on these bars?
Old 06-29-09, 05:30 PM
n00bL35
=microburst=

Bikes: Giant OCR3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've heard that the FSA is the best bar, compared to the 3T and the Easton. This was according to Competitive Cyclist, and they sell all those brands. I'm checking out the FSA Omega, which is the same as the Wing Pro, but can be found for about $32.
Old 06-29-09, 05:42 PM
Maaku

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Just FYI, the EA70 flares out at the ends, meaning it's narrower where the hoods are and wider at the ends of the bars. Ex) my 42cm are 40cm at the hoods and 42 at the drops. I like the flare because I normally ride 40cm and I usually stay on the hoods most of the time. But when I need to do a hard sprint in the drops it's great to have the added control of a wider bar width.
Old 06-29-09, 05:54 PM
dsellinger
slowest!

Bikes: Felt, Atala, Kona

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You can pickup a Dimension flat top shallow reach for $30. A little heavier then others (mine was 340g), but I like the shape.
Old 06-29-09, 06:03 PM
Georgebowen

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I picked up near new EA70 wing bar on ebay for $35 shipped. Feel great to me, but I dont have much of a refferance. Lighter than my original Specialized bars and feel stronger.
Old 06-29-09, 06:12 PM
Tortuga!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nashbar had the FSA Wing for $25 last week. I think 42cm was the only size, though.
Old 06-29-09, 06:13 PM
Jynx

Bikes: 2006 Cannondale CAAD8

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Round Top:
3T Ergosum
FSA Omega

Flat Top:
3T Ergonova
FSA Wing Compact

Buy your bike parts here
Old 06-29-09, 08:29 PM
entukay

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have ea70's they're fine, not really a compact bar, but definitely not big and swoopy. They're pretty comfortable, they're just "standardish" bars.
Old 06-29-09, 11:17 PM
dmp
'84 and '09 Pinarellos

Bikes: '84 Pinarello Record Equipe rebuilt with Campy Chorus/ Record; 2009 Pinarello Paris/ Campy SR 11sp; Litespeed Tuscany w Campy SR 11 speed

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
The EA70's work really well with Campy levers.
Old 06-30-09, 12:57 AM
jhmiller

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Maaku
Just FYI, the EA70 flares out at the ends, meaning it's narrower where the hoods are and wider at the ends of the bars. Ex) my 42cm are 40cm at the hoods and 42 at the drops. I like the flare because I normally ride 40cm and I usually stay on the hoods most of the time. But when I need to do a hard sprint in the drops it's great to have the added control of a wider bar width.
Exactly the sort of input I was looking for. I like the idea of wider drops, probably good for stability. I've heard the EA70 can be a bit flexy, though, even for smaller riders -- and at 150 pounds cycling is one of the few sports where I'm almost in the middle of the size range.

Leaning towards the FSAs, I think, based largely on that Competitive Cyclist review. Anybody have any bad experiences with those?
Old 06-30-09, 08:10 AM
Saddle Up
I Love My Dream

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I'm 150 lbs and run the EA70 Wing bar with Easton's 2 bolt EA70 stem on my fixed gear road bike and don't notice flex. The downward slope puts your wrists at a very natural position and angle when riding on the hoods. My favourite road bar.

Old 06-30-09, 09:54 AM
Surferbruce

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
FSA Wing Pro and don't look back.
Old 06-30-09, 10:33 AM
intence

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm using the Omega's right now, they also flare out a bit. No complaints, it's basically the wing pro without the flatter top section. AEBike had a pretty good price on them when I bought mine.

I also want to give the Ergosum a try. PBK has them in stock (only a few in each size) since they seem to be a bit hard to find. They also had the Deda Zero100 and Newton Shallow which might work.

The Wing Pro and Omega's I believe come in a non-compact version, so if you go that route, get the compact.

I've liked the Omega's, I have small hands (relatively short fingers). I would have liked slightly more drop but other than that the Omega's have been great.
Old 07-26-09, 07:22 AM
xfimpg

Bikes: RichardZEP

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Saddle Up
I'm 150 lbs and run the EA70 Wing bar with Easton's 2 bolt EA70 stem on my fixed gear road bike and don't notice flex. The downward slope puts your wrists at a very natural position and angle when riding on the hoods. My favourite road bar.

Hi
I don't see a cycling computer...? Is it possible to mount one?
I imagine the stem would be the next place, if you don't mind looking at it at a 45 degree angle.

EDIT: Correction! I would use plastic tie-wraps instead of the clip that came with it.

Last edited by xfimpg; 07-26-09 at 10:39 AM.
Old 07-26-09, 07:49 AM
Soil_Sampler
A little North of Hell

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
https://aebike.com/page.cfm?action=li...d=12353&type=T