Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Miyata XO

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-09, 10:36 PM
bikegeekmn
bikegeekmn

Bikes: Miyata710, 04' Fisher Cake, '63 Raleigh 3-speed sport, Giant FCR1, 89''Mita Quick Cross, Lotus Grand Prix Luxe, Nashbar Al. DT shifter road bike,

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Miyata XO

Does anyone know if there's any reason the Miyata XO-quickcross from 90' could'nt be set up as a cyclocross bike.The bike was sold as a hybred so it's not it's intended use ,my only real concern is overtaxing the alumitech frame(aircraft adhesive glued lugs-and bolted seat stays).CV seems to have a lot of miyata folks, so hopefully some of you have a working knowledge of 90s glued tubes.
Old 10-04-09, 11:32 AM
Allan Pollock

Bikes: 1987 Marinoni ; 1994 Miyata 621; 1973 Raleigh Superbe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As far as I know, Miyata used the same frame for their cyclocross bike, the alumicross. I've never owned one (I came annoyingly close...a flipper bought one out from under me) but I would think that they're strong enough.

Allan
Old 10-04-09, 01:01 PM
old and new

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If you're that concerned with cylecross, focus on a cyclecross bike. Miyata made them too, almost the same bike though. I can't figure out your "intended as such" .

Having owned Miyata bonded frames over some nineteen years, I've not had failures, then again I've not beaten on them nor have I crossed or racked-up all that many miles on any given bike. Although one had be raced for two seasons.

I've read of failures, these failures seem to exist only in the imaginations of certain individuals here in the forums for instance. Yet, no one can vouch for such failures. It seems they've "heard of" or someone said or read. Frankly, the first time I even heard negative things about Ti and Al. bonded frames in regards to vulnerability was in another forum, again, the person only had "heard" and he liked his bike.

My only complaint of these bonded-lug frames and in early Vitus Al. bikes is that changing the headset and related races down below can be problematic, they freeze. These days newly designed headsets are favored for that and other reasons.

I also don't understand the "XO" bit. they were another brand.

If you're in the possition to buy one or own one ... they are fine bikes.
Old 10-04-09, 01:42 PM
Oldpeddaller

Bikes: 1970 Holdsworth Mistral, Vitus 979, Colnago Primavera, Corratec Hydracarbon, Massi MegaTeam, 1935 Claud Butler Super Velo, Carrera Virtuoso, Viner, 1953 Claud Butler Silver Jubilee, 1954 Holdsworth Typhoon, 1966 Claud Butler Olympic Road, 1982 Claud

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by old and new
If you're that concerned with cylecross, focus on a cyclecross bike. Miyata made them too, almost the same bike though. I can't figure out your "intended as such" .

Having owned Miyata bonded frames over some nineteen years, I've not had failures, then again I've not beaten on them nor have I crossed or racked-up all that many miles on any given bike. Although one had be raced for two seasons.

I've read of failures, these failures seem to exist only in the imaginations of certain individuals here in the forums for instance. Yet, no one can vouch for such failures. It seems they've "heard of" or someone said or read. Frankly, the first time I even heard negative things about Ti and Al. bonded frames in regards to vulnerability was in another forum, again, the person only had "heard" and he liked his bike.

My only complaint of these bonded-lug frames and in early Vitus Al. bikes is that changing the headset and related races down below can be problematic, they freeze. These days newly designed headsets are favored for that and other reasons.

I also don't understand the "XO" bit. they were another brand.

If you're in the possition to buy one or own one ... they are fine bikes.
Hi old and new, Any further info on the head set replacement issues? My Vitus 979 has a Chorus 1" head set that keeps going stiff. My LBS had a look, sorted it but told me it needs the head set replaced - and sure enough, it's started to become stiff again as they promised. I've now found a NOS Record 1" head set to fit and hope this will cure it. I was going to use my "home made" threaded rod with shaped washers to press the new cups in. Anything in particular I should be looking out for/ wary of when I get around to fitting it? Thanks
Old 10-04-09, 04:54 PM
miamijim

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 78 Posts
I see no reason why it couldnt. If you go through the specs you'll find the primary difference bewteen the Alumicross and Quickcross to be the handlebar desgin. The Alumicross has a drop bar while the Quickcross bar is a flat mountain bar. For all intents and purposes the Quickcross is a down spec'd version of the Alumicross. Heck, both bikes were equipted with identical tires.

In regards to failure of bonded Miyata frames, I happen to have seen one first hand. If I remember correctly the seat tube sperated from the BB shell on a Carbon Tech 7000. Aside from that single failure I dont recall seeing or hearing of any other issue with a bonded Miyata frame.

This a factual failure I have first hand knowledge of as I'm the mechanic who swapped out the frame under warranty.

Last edited by miamijim; 10-04-09 at 05:36 PM.
Old 10-04-09, 05:23 PM
Fred Smedley

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I like my Quickcross, I did convert to a Road dropbar and barend shifters. As my intended use is as a utility bike and not a cross bike I could not comment on that.
Old 10-04-09, 06:46 PM
bikegeekmn
bikegeekmn

Bikes: Miyata710, 04' Fisher Cake, '63 Raleigh 3-speed sport, Giant FCR1, 89''Mita Quick Cross, Lotus Grand Prix Luxe, Nashbar Al. DT shifter road bike,

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Sweet.Thanks guys I had sold one a few years ago and may get to own it again soon(fingers crossed).I also had heard of frame failures but never had first hand knowledge of one.I've got a lot of ideas(and parts) for how to get this thing sweet again.My intensions are to build it for fast trail riding(it will lead a hard life) ,I do'nt want to build it , have it fail and then hear "I told you so"or at least learn it was foolish to use the bike for something it was'nt intended for.My recollection may be off but I had thought the top tube had an "xo" on the top tube it could have been a QC however.I have always thought highly of all Miyatas so I was pretty sure it would'nt be a problem.I suppose after this post now it will fail(fingers stay crossed).
Old 12-05-09, 09:22 PM
hxzero
Needs to Ride More

Bikes: 1996 Bianchi EL/OS, 1991 Miyata QuickCross

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hello, I didn't want to start a new thread, so I figured this would be a nice place to put my question in.

I'm looking into a 1990 Miyata Quickcross, all original, looks to be in great condition. I plan on maybe switching out the stock bars for On-One Marys and slapping on some fenders to use it as a commuter. The seller wants $90, should I jump on it?