Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Winter is upon us

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Winter is upon us

Old 11-08-19, 10:17 AM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 944 Post(s)
Liked 1,974 Times in 565 Posts
Originally Posted by FiftySix
Great pic.

So 20th century, the time before color photography was common.
Nah. Back in 1999, the world was black and white.

Likes For Biker395:
Old 11-09-19, 01:22 PM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: '12 Schwinn, '13 Norco

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,176 Times in 795 Posts
Originally Posted by Biker395
Nah. Back in 1999, the world was black and white.

Calvin & Hobbes. My favorite comic strip of all time.
Old 11-09-19, 03:04 PM
GadgetGirlIL

Bikes: 2003 Litespeed Vortex, 2017 All-City Mr. Pink, ~1997 Trek Multitrack 700

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 57 Posts
Originally Posted by CyclingBK
Thanks! So, what the consensus on temperature for

Ok, it’s cold but let’s do this

vs.

Nahhhhhhh

35* or so?

Or, if the wind isn’t too bad, is below 32 something you guys take on?
I've started rides where the temps were ~17-18 degrees. I've had rides where the temps never got above freezing. Sunshine makes everything feel warmer. I did a 200K brevet last December where the temp was 18 degrees at the start but it got into the mid 30s with full sun by the turnaround. Temps did drop back below freezing when the sun went down. Not a fast rider so that ride took me about 12.5 hours to do - we had a nice hot lunch at the turnaround.

Bar mitts, winter cycling boots, and my fleece headband that completely covers my ears were game changers when dealing with the cold. The fleece headband and all my other layers are things repurposed from hiking and snowshoeing.
Old 11-09-19, 03:19 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8252 Post(s)
Liked 8,962 Times in 4,447 Posts
Originally Posted by GadgetGirlIL
I've started rides where the temps were ~17-18 degrees. I've had rides where the temps never got above freezing. Sunshine makes everything feel warmer. I did a 200K brevet last December where the temp was 18 degrees at the start but it got into the mid 30s with full sun by the turnaround. Temps did drop back below freezing when the sun went down. Not a fast rider so that ride took me about 12.5 hours to do - we had a nice hot lunch at the turnaround.

Bar mitts, winter cycling boots, and my fleece headband that completely covers my ears were game changers when dealing with the cold. The fleece headband and all my other layers are things repurposed from hiking and snowshoeing.
Do you use a balaklava or cover your face when it's below freezing? I never have but I haven't done sub freezing rides for a while. Sometimes it's hard to speak when my face gets cold.

For those who don't wear cycling boots, how do you keep your feet warm? I guess some people use flat pedals and regular winter boots?
I've used my regular Shimano shoes with wool socks and neoprene toe covers and sometimes put the chemical warmers inside the covers.
Old 11-09-19, 03:23 PM
GadgetGirlIL

Originally Posted by big john
Do you use a balaklava or cover your face when it's below freezing? I never have but I haven't done sub freezing rides for a while.

For those who don't wear cycling boots, how do you keep your feet warm? I guess some people use flat pedals and regular winter boots?
I've used my regular Shimano shoes with wool socks and neoprene toe covers and sometimes put the chemical warmers inside the covers.
No, I don't cover my face. I will sometimes start with a neck gaiter, but that usually gets taken off pretty quick because that seems to be the first place I overheat. Last weekend I started out at 26 degrees with the neck gaiter and it was off within 4 miles.

But what I will do for temps in the mid 20's and lower is to put a thin layer of Vaseline on my exposed skin. I do this biking, hiking, and snowshoeing.
Old 11-09-19, 03:27 PM
big john

No, I don't cover my face. I will sometimes start with a neck gaiter, but that usually gets taken off pretty quick because that seems to be the first place I overheat. Last weekend I started out at 26 degrees with the neck gaiter and it was off within 4 miles.

But what I will do for temps in the mid 20's and lower is to put a thin layer of Vaseline on my exposed skin. I do this biking, hiking, and snowshoeing.
Thanks. What brand of boots do you have? I've been thinking of moving back to the mountains and I might want to look into the cycling boots, maybe the SPD style so I can use them on the mtb, as well.
Old 11-09-19, 03:29 PM
GadgetGirlIL

Originally Posted by big john
Thanks. What brand of boots do you have? I've been thinking of moving back to the mountains and I might want to look into the cycling boots, maybe the SPD style so I can use them on the mtb, as well.
Lake MXZ 303 - Pricey but have kept me very comfortable since December 2017 when I invested in them. I was able to use a 20% off coupon from an online store to help reduce the price somewhat.

Also, order your boots 2 sizes larger than your regular cycling shoe size. You want to have room for thicker socks.
Old 11-09-19, 03:42 PM
big john

Lake MXZ 303 - Pricey but have kept me very comfortable since December 2017 when I invested in them. I was able to use a 20% off coupon from an online store to help reduce the price somewhat.

Also, order your boots 2 sizes larger than your regular cycling shoe size. You want to have room for thicker socks.
My regular cycling shoe size is 49. Might be a problem. I have heard good things about the Lakes. Thanks again.

So I looked and Lake does make bigger sizes, all the way up to gunboat.

Last edited by big john; 11-09-19 at 03:55 PM.
Old 11-10-19, 08:23 AM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
The fleece headband and all my other layers are things repurposed from hiking and snowshoeing.
Same here. I have lots of equipment from the hiking, snow shoeing, skiing world. Yesterday was cold for me as I have not yet acclimated to winter temps. It was just above the freezing mark and stayed there for the length of the ride. One of my most successful prieces of equipment is a tiny puff jacket weighing about 8.5 ounces, just a bit more than a tee shirt. The one I have is from Montbell, a Japaneese company that makes mountaineering equipment. https://www.montbell.us/products/dis...01354&gen_cd=1 These days similar jackets are made or sold by many other companies such as REI and LL Bean and current prices would be about $150 to $200 and more for down insulation. I have fleeced booties but at freezing temps they are ot quite warm enough. Today I'm headed to a bike shop to supplement the booties with the addition of neoprene toe covers.