Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Yet another thing to worry about

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 03-07-20, 08:33 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts

You're just riding loops, getting some miles in. Meanwhile, an old lady has misplaced her ring and reports a burglary. Google is happy to provide the data to police *for everyone*, no questions asked, and because you rode by her house now they want *all* of your data from Google. And Google will give it to them.

Personally rather than panicking like this kid, I'd call the investigators and give them the location data for that day, which would obviously show just a ride-by. But this is something to keep in mind on those care-free bike rides.
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...e-him-n1151761
Old 03-07-20, 08:40 AM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3185 Post(s)
Liked 2,020 Times in 1,158 Posts
Presumably you don't like being tracked by your phone ?, Put it in airplane mode while you ride ?
Likes For Steve B.:
Old 03-07-20, 08:41 AM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 838 Post(s)
Liked 1,414 Times in 801 Posts
One easy way around this, do not use a tracker app. There are certainly other, accurate, inexpensive ways to keep a log of miles.
Likes For delbiker1:
Old 03-07-20, 09:04 AM
CoffeedrinkerNC

Bikes: Trek Verve 2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve B.
Presumably you don't like being tracked by your phone ?, Put it in airplane mode while you ride ?
Airplane mode doesn't guarantee that your phone stops tracking you. Airplane mode only turns off cell service and wifi, satellite and blue tooth are still operating.
Likes For CoffeedrinkerNC:
Old 03-07-20, 09:06 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7628 Post(s)
Liked 3,452 Times in 1,823 Posts
I have been telling people for many years that if Big Brother wants anything of yours, .... end of story. Location, records of any sort, travel routes, "personal and protected" communications of any sort .... and Big Business can do pretty much the same, thanks to our compliance.

I realized that my choices were steadily increasing paranoia ... or simply not caring. I track my rides with GPS .... and if some government agent wants to laugh at my pathetic pace, let him (her.)

There are ways to be on the grid less, and ways (pretty extreme) to be pretty much undetectable ... but I am not interested in spending a good part of my life hiding my life. The government wants to know what I bought at the hardware store? They will anyway, so why worry?

it ain't right, but it is real.
Old 03-07-20, 09:39 AM
wphamilton

Presumably you don't like being tracked by your phone ?, Put it in airplane mode.while you ride ?
I don't mind at all - in fact the only reasons I bring my phone are for tracking and receiving messages.

Airplane mode isn't the answer. Turn off location services if you don't want tracking. Location sharing, location history

And if you trust Google enough, dig through the google account settings to "web & app activity" and turn that off (and NOT just "Location History", which won't do the trick)
Likes For wphamilton:
Old 03-07-20, 09:50 AM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3185 Post(s)
Liked 2,020 Times in 1,158 Posts
Originally Posted by CoffeedrinkerNC
Airplane mode doesn't guarantee that your phone stops tracking you. Airplane mode only turns off cell service and wifi, satellite and blue tooth are still operating.
BlueTooth has a limited range of maybe 50ft. They can use BT to track you inside stores. The only satellite connection is one-way from the satellite to the device with GPS. There’s no “phone to satellite” connection unless it’s a sat phone you are using.
Likes For Steve B.:
Old 03-07-20, 09:57 AM
wphamilton

Originally Posted by Maelochs
I have been telling people for many years that if Big Brother wants anything of yours, .... end of story. Location, records of any sort, travel routes, "personal and protected" communications of any sort .... and Big Business can do pretty much the same, thanks to our compliance.
You and me both - I've been saying it since the Usenet days. Everyone thought they were anonymous, but later on there was an archive database on-line with every Usenet message you ever wrote, under any pseudonym. With your real name attached.

I am employed by one of those Big Businesses where data is the currency, more of an asset than any currency. Personal opinion, it's accelerating and there's not anything we can do about it in our current environment. I would like to see an app though that would detect a bike ride and firewall that data from Google. It should be technically possible.
Old 03-07-20, 10:02 AM
wphamilton

BlueTooth has a limited range of maybe 50ft. They can use BT to track you inside stores. The only satellite connection is one-way from the satellite to the device with GPS. There’s no “phone to satellite” connection unless it’s a sat phone you are using.
Cell tower pings can locate you, just not as well as GPS. Also wifi, if there are enough wifi networks wherever you are. I think* Google gets that location information also, even if GPS is turned off, if the service is enabled.

If your phone is collecting this data, Google doesn't necessarily need to have it real time. It can upload any time you have a network connection, WiFi or cell data.

*99% sure of it. If you look back in location history and see sudden jags in the track - like miles away - it's when the algorithm messes up, gps was lost and it only had a ping off some further away cell tower.
Likes For wphamilton:
Old 03-07-20, 10:17 AM
FBOATSB

Bikes: Old Stuff

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 514 Times in 343 Posts
Originally Posted by wphamilton
Personal opinion, it's accelerating and there's not anything we can do about it in our current environment.
Exactly this. In my opinion, if you have generated electrons and fling 'em out all over cyber space, they're out there for anyone with the tech or a warrant to harvest them for their own use.
Likes For FBOATSB:
Old 03-07-20, 10:19 AM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 421 Posts
There is an off button
Old 03-07-20, 10:33 AM
CoffeedrinkerNC

The phone stores it's GPS data until it connects back to the internet and reports your data to the mothership.
Old 03-07-20, 10:34 AM
CoffeedrinkerNC

Originally Posted by trailangel
There is an off button
But then people would have to unplug from social media......
Likes For CoffeedrinkerNC:
Old 03-07-20, 10:44 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
I don't play with my smartphone while riding, I don't use strava and I don't use any cycling apps . My phone is turned off and in my pocket while riding my bike. Good luck tracking my down.
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 03-07-20, 10:47 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 642 Times in 363 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs

I realized that my choices were steadily increasing paranoia ... or simply not caring. I track my rides with GPS .... and if some government agent wants to laugh at my pathetic pace, let him (her.)

There are ways to be on the grid less, and ways (pretty extreme) to be pretty much undetectable ... but I am not interested in spending a good part of my life hiding my life. The government wants to know what I bought at the hardware store? They will anyway, so why worry?

it ain't right, but it is real.
I picture the poor schlub in some basement HHS cubical dying a slow death of boredom while listening in on our Echo Dot.
Old 03-07-20, 11:14 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by trailangel
There is an off button

It's impossible to ride a bike with a smartphone turned off.
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 03-07-20, 11:32 AM
skidder
Pennylane Splitter

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1748 Post(s)
Liked 1,421 Times in 972 Posts
Originally Posted by wphamilton
You're just riding loops, getting some miles in. Meanwhile, an old lady has misplaced her ring and reports a burglary. Google is happy to provide the data to police *for everyone*, no questions asked, and because you rode by her house now they want *all* of your data from Google. And Google will give it to them.

Personally rather than panicking like this kid, I'd call the investigators and give them the location data for that day, which would obviously show just a ride-by. But this is something to keep in mind on those care-free bike rides.
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...e-him-n1151761
IF you're just doing loops, just enjoying a 'care-free' bike ride, just turn the phone off or don't even bring it with you. I do loops all the time during the week and I don't bring a phone with me.
Old 03-07-20, 11:42 AM
MattTheHat 

Bikes: 2021 S-Works Turbo Creo SL, 2020 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 3,982 Times in 1,415 Posts
Originally Posted by skidder
IF you're just doing loops, just enjoying a 'care-free' bike ride, just turn the phone off or don't even bring it with you. I do loops all the time during the week and I don't bring a phone with me.
Or use it and don’t worry about it. It seems like it would be difficult to be convicted of robbing a house you were riding loops around.
Likes For MattTheHat:
Old 03-07-20, 11:44 AM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,313 Times in 706 Posts
People worry about big brother watching them and then post their lives on Facebook and Instagram?
I recently read an article about a reporter who used FOI to see what a facial recognition company had cached. Turned out to be a number of selfies she had posted across social media for years.
Just turn the phone off if being tracked bothers you. Capture your data with an old fashioned bike computer.
Likes For Happy Feet:
Old 03-07-20, 12:26 PM
rseeker

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked 149 Times in 104 Posts
I don't care to be tracked, so I don't bring a phone. The idea of leaving a trail of blinking red dots gives me the creeps. I ride in part to disconnect from "all that".
Old 03-07-20, 12:53 PM
REDMASTA

Bikes: Bare Rum Sword Knuckle Runner

Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 64 Posts
i don't use my personal phone for illegal activity.
Old 03-07-20, 12:56 PM
phughes

Quoted: 1018 Post(s)
Liked 1,246 Times in 719 Posts
Turn off location history for Google. I have never had it enabled. In fact, I have basically everything Google related disabled.
Likes For phughes:
Old 03-07-20, 12:56 PM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 838 Post(s)
Liked 1,414 Times in 801 Posts
George Orwell was quite the prophesizer.
Likes For delbiker1:
Old 03-07-20, 01:37 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7628 Post(s)
Liked 3,452 Times in 1,823 Posts
Originally Posted by REDMASTA
i don't use my personal phone for illegal activity.
Lol .... buying burner phones for bike rides .... "You can never be too safe .... "
Old 03-07-20, 01:51 PM
hillyman
WALSTIB

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 384 Times in 183 Posts

I've got the problem solved with tin foil

Likes For hillyman:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.