Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

The Water Cooler, Scuttlebutt, Chit Chat Thread

Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

The Water Cooler, Scuttlebutt, Chit Chat Thread

Old 03-16-20, 10:18 AM
hubcyclist

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh RX 1.0, 2018 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 631 Times in 336 Posts
How about some positive news? My son is almost 9 and hasn't ridden a bike without training wheels. He never really took to using a balance bike or anything else and I try not to push him because I don't need him to be into everything I am (spoiler warning, he's not into anything I like lol). Aside from begging me to buy him a Trek a couple of years back, he hasn't been interested in riding. The downside of him being older is that he's gotten so apprehensive about trying to ride with no training wheels and fear of falling. We watched the a cycling weekly video of teaching kids to ride in 45 mins and we went out and tried it the past 2 days. Yesterday he was riding unassisted, although still needs me by his side and is still struggling with control, but he's getting there. We're trying to do it a little every day so he can keep the momentum going.
Old 03-16-20, 12:17 PM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4196 Post(s)
Liked 2,913 Times in 1,781 Posts
My son started with a balance bike at 2 or so. Now he's 5 and only rides with training wheels (on his sister's old 16" bike) or if I hook his bike (without training wheels) to my bike via the followme tandem coupling. He seemed to have the balance thing down, but lost it when he outgrew the balance bike. I'm considering taking the pedals and trainining wheels off his sister's bike and have him use that as a balance bike. My daughter was afraid for the longest time but then one day I just turned around and she was going down the driveway by herself. I think it's just something they've got to discover on their own. Glad your son did. Both of my kids love watching me ride myself to bits on zwift from the couch. My son often heckles me ("Daddy, why are all those people passing you?" "Daddy, why are you going so slow") withing meaning to - I think.
Old 03-16-20, 02:06 PM
hubcyclist

Yeah, it's crazy how just 2 days of really focused work got him to finally flip the switch, it was mostly him getting over his anxiety and find his confidence. I took him out today and he was zooming around the high school parking lot and bike path near our house. I got quite the run workout, which isn't ideal because I wear allbirds shoes, which look cool but aren't made for running, especially with my pronation issues. I need to start bringing my bike out, I guess. He doesn't have the starting off thing down yet but I can help him and then get on my own. I've actually got a trainer that works with his 20" bike and he's tried zwift before so maybe tomorrow when it's rainy he'll choose to ride online for a bit. This is kind of his P.E. since he's probably not going to be in school until the end of April
Old 03-17-20, 08:01 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 675 Times in 427 Posts
Two of our nephews have become huge mountain bikers.When they can't ride, they watch downhill videos on YouTube or RedBull. They are 6 and 8. We are delivering their new, real mountain bikes to them this weekend. My LBS was happy to share my discount with my brother in law, so he got a good deal on two Scott bikes that they will likely outgrow in a year or two. But they are so mountain bike crazy, he was willing to get them the bikes.
Likes For topflightpro:
Old 03-18-20, 02:16 PM
hubcyclist

My son's been killing it, I mentioned in training status he rode for 5 miles yesterday and today we went out for a bit with my wife as well, so our first full family ride, but only for like 20 mins. He did take a turn pretty fast and ended up crashing into a fence but he brushed it off relatively quickly. He's 4ft4in so he's kind of on the high end for the 20" bike so I'm starting to look at 24" bikes. He's saying he wants a drop bar, which I'm happy to oblige if I can find a decent deal, not a lot either used or new out there. If he went with a MTB I may feel the need to get myself one so I can hit the trails lol

In addition to everything else, I'm still messing around with my python/django coding and building a PMC website. It's pretty close to fully functional, I've made user profiles, have functionality to upload and analyze fit files, and I have a PMC chart going. And today I put the final touches on the ability to download selected strava rides, although at the moment I haven't integrated the strava rides into the ride analysis (right now all my analysis is done from fit files). I've got some automated stuff going like refreshing the strava token and can refresh PMC stats daily. So it's pretty close to being good enough for public consumption, just want to polish it up a bit as far as visualizations (right now using bokeh) and web design. It's pretty fun that in just 2 months I went from zero knowledge of python to having a pretty complete website
Likes For hubcyclist:
Old 03-18-20, 03:29 PM
Flatballer
No matches

Bikes: two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1398 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 250 Posts
My work finally made the call today to institute suggested work from home for everyone. I'm just happy we all have jobs. Hopefully I can keep my people motivated to get projects out the door while they're home, but honestly, I don't care that much these days. I'm just happy to have a job. So many people are hurting or about to be. I'm glad I can do my work easily from home. Plus no commute.

Be safe out there folks. It's crazy.
Likes For Flatballer:
Old 03-18-20, 05:17 PM
Wylde06

Bikes: Cannondale Six13

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 21 Posts
Started the new job last monday..email went out tuesday to work from home.

Not fun when you dont have much to do yet. I have some stuff to do, but I'm still training with others in the office...at least I'm salary now?
Likes For Wylde06:
Old 03-18-20, 05:43 PM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Bikes: Affirmative

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
My cousin's business in vegas, which relies on trade shows and realtors, has basically died :-|

Also my last employer, which mostly does work with ski slopes and resorts, also sounds a bit touch and go.

I am glad I am in school right now...
Old 03-18-20, 05:50 PM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Also my younger bro and his family are currently quarantined. He is a priest, and one of his parishioners may have given it to him. They're waiting for the lab results in the meantime. They're in their early 30's and in good health so I doubt it's dangerous for them, just a bummer.
Old 03-18-20, 09:30 PM
Cypress
Globo Gym lifetime member

Bikes: Fast ones

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 410 Post(s)
Liked 614 Times in 306 Posts
Originally Posted by TheKillerPenguin
Also my younger bro and his family are currently quarantined. He is a priest, and one of his parishioners may have given it to him. They're waiting for the lab results in the meantime. They're in their early 30's and in good health so I doubt it's dangerous for them, just a bummer.
Sounds like crotchslaps all ‘round, mang. Summoning good voodoo for you and the fam.
Old 03-18-20, 10:02 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8191 Post(s)
Liked 8,849 Times in 4,396 Posts
Are they sick?
Old 03-18-20, 10:09 PM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

They are, but it sounds relatively mild for them. They're getting the results tomorrow hopefully! If they do in fact have covid-19 I imagine the worst part will be the extended quarantine.

Last edited by TheKillerPenguin; 03-18-20 at 10:19 PM.
Likes For TheKillerPenguin:
Old 03-18-20, 10:35 PM
Flatballer
No matches

They are, but it sounds relatively mild for them. They're getting the results tomorrow hopefully! If they do in fact have covid-19 I imagine the worst part will be the extended quarantine.
Not that much different than the rest of us at this point though. I've gone for walks with the family but other than that we haven't left the house since Friday. And don't have any plans to for a while. We'll need supplies in about another week maybe. Everything around here is just stay home, only go out if you absolutely have to. Nothing not essential is open.

Even the liquor stores closed. I can still get beer at special grocery stores, so I'll survive. We don't drink liquor, but I know people were stocking up.

If this goes on for 18 months like they're saying is a possibility, everything is going to come apart at the seams.
Old 03-19-20, 06:15 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 675 Times in 427 Posts
For me, work has been incredibly busy, but also incredibly slow. So much to do, and not getting the responses I need. I feel like I"m trying to back bread; I have all the ingredients except flour, and nobody knows where any flour is.
Old 03-19-20, 10:20 AM
cmh

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Liked 327 Times in 161 Posts
I'm fully stocked up on flour. (Running a little low on TP and I'm kinda worried about that.)
Old 03-19-20, 10:22 AM
cmh

Liked 327 Times in 161 Posts
Glad your family was able to get tests KP. People I know that have been sick haven't been able to get a test. Partly because the symptoms are only partial (coughing but no fever), but come on...
Old 03-19-20, 10:24 AM
wktmeow

Bikes: CAAD 10

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 229 Times in 111 Posts
This is why I dont believe the numbers being reported. I think it has become far more wide spread than the official numbers let on.
Old 03-20-20, 11:26 AM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3374 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
Originally Posted by wktmeow
This is why I dont believe the numbers being reported. I think it has become far more wide spread than the official numbers let on.
In the OC (1.38M) which I know, you know where it is. 0 cases < 18. 0 deaths.
Lots of restrictions.
Old 03-20-20, 11:45 AM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
I don't really understand why people are throwing around numbers right now. This hasn't peaked yet, its going to get worse, how worse depends really. So much negative information on social media exacerbating it.

It looks like one of my wife's cousin's family has it in Illinois. A 101 fever isn't good enough so no one is getting tested.
Old 03-21-20, 04:27 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts
My wife is a big baker, and I'm the cook in the family.

As flour disappeared from the store we were pondering about all the flour in the trash when people realize they don't really know how to bake bread. I mean, we're a culture that's been pushing home delivery meal services. For sure one of the big post coronavirus changes in our culture will be that people will learn to cook. Cooking classes...that's the market sector to invest your money.
Likes For gsteinb:
Old 03-21-20, 04:50 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts
Originally Posted by furiousferret
I don't really understand why people are throwing around numbers right now. This hasn't peaked yet, its going to get worse, how worse depends really. So much negative information on social media exacerbating it.

It looks like one of my wife's cousin's family has it in Illinois. A 101 fever isn't good enough so no one is getting tested.

I read an interesting best case / worse case column this morning

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/20/o...-outcomes.html

points to that not really knowing thing. prepare for the worst, hope for the best.
Old 03-21-20, 07:18 AM
Flatballer
No matches

Originally Posted by gsteinb
I read an interesting best case / worse case column this morning

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/20/o...-outcomes.html

points to that not really knowing thing. prepare for the worst, hope for the best.
Very good article, thanks. And nice of the NYT to allow their virus coverage out from behind the paywall.
Likes For Flatballer:
Old 03-21-20, 09:58 PM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

Bikes: Tarmac, Why Cycles R+, Evil The Calling

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 87 Posts
I've been skiing a lot in the last week. And a lot more this year than ever before. All the resorts are closed so I'm touring and getting to spend good conversation time in small groups. Here's a good little anecdote about not spreading it around.

https://backcountrymagazine.com/stor...e-of-covid-19/
Old 03-22-20, 09:14 AM
UmneyDurak
RacingBear

Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 36 Posts
My company has been WFH for last two weeks. Until this week it wasn't enforced. So if your manager was OK with it could come in. After SIP went out for the county no more of that either.
Grabbed two monitors and my ergo keyboard/mouse and been WFH all week. Honestly not that much different than being in the office. Only downside is I can't just walk down few cubicles and talk to a coworker about technical question and whatnot, and ******g Comcast keeps going down. So I have to hot spot. Only thing that would have made this better if I could take desktop home instead of remote desktop in to it over VPN.
Old 03-22-20, 09:26 AM
Flatballer
No matches

Originally Posted by UmneyDurak
My company has been WFH for last two weeks. Until this week it wasn't enforced. So if your manager was OK with it could come in. After SIP went out for the county no more of that either.
Grabbed two monitors and my ergo keyboard/mouse and been WFH all week. Honestly not that much different than being in the office. Only downside is I can't just walk down few cubicles and talk to a coworker about technical question and whatnot, and ******g Comcast keeps going down. So I have to hot spot. Only thing that would have made this better if I could take desktop home instead of remote desktop in to it over VPN.
I've got four direct reports. One just came back from Dubai and I have to figure out how to get her desktop set up at home. I think IT can install the VPN client not I'm not 100% yet.

Other guy I don't trust to not goof off and I have to keep a serious eye on (he's on an improvement plan for poor productivity and stealing time), also has a desktop he was figuring out how to take home on Friday. He managed to do basically nothing for about 5 hours before calling IT with a computer issue to finally try to fix it. I'm trying to cut people slack right now though so I didn't make a thing of it.

Other two have laptops and took docking stations and monitors and stuff, and are my better employees. I'm considering retrieving my entire setup, but right now I have the laptop and one monitor, no docking station. If this goes on I'll have to get a more permanent set up though.
Likes For Flatballer:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.