Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Listening to Music via Headphones?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Listening to Music via Headphones?

Old 05-09-20, 05:41 PM
Bigbus
Very Senior Member

Bikes: Giant Quasar & Fuji Roubaix

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 343 Times in 244 Posts
Originally Posted by phughes
Don't do it. Your cantilever brakes will go out of adjustment, your helmet will disappear, and your carbon fiber bike will burst into flames.
Learn something new everyday... My take-away from that is don't use cantilever brakes and steer clear of carbon fiber bikes unless you want to get burned.
Likes For Bigbus:
Old 05-09-20, 06:09 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18394 Post(s)
Liked 15,466 Times in 7,307 Posts
I have a cat, but I like dogs. Never ridden a crabon fibre bike. Tour with cantilever brakes. Like listening to bird songs and insects when I ride.

Last edited by indyfabz; 05-09-20 at 06:13 PM.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 05-09-20, 06:37 PM
Oneder
Banned.

Bikes: Wahoo of Theseus, others

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 46 Posts
Originally Posted by Camilo
safe volume
Unfortunately many people can't seem to manage this.
Old 05-09-20, 08:20 PM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,285 Times in 741 Posts
Originally Posted by Bigbus
Learn something new everyday... My take-away from that is don't use cantilever brakes and steer clear of carbon fiber bikes unless you want to get burned.
It's only an issue if you listen to music via headphones. If you don't do that, the cantilevers will be fine, and the carbon fiber won't burst into flames.
Likes For phughes:
Old 05-09-20, 09:15 PM
Bigbus
Very Senior Member

Originally Posted by indyfabz
I like listening to bird songs and insects when I ride.
I prefer country, but sometimes classic rock. I'll have to download some bird and insects and try that....
Old 05-09-20, 09:16 PM
Bigbus
Very Senior Member

It's only an issue if you listen to music via headphones.
Shucks, you had me worried there. Good thing I only use ear buds...
Likes For Bigbus:
Old 05-10-20, 07:27 AM
adlai

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 34 Posts
Originally Posted by Tophy_Dee
Safe or unsafe? I’ve seen some other cyclists with air pods and other headphones on and though what a great idea to listen to some tunes while riding. But then I realized maybe it’s not such a good idea? Can’t hear if cyclists are coming up behind or if there’s cars or sirens. Basically can’t hear anything at all!

What are your thoughts on this and if you do listen to music, any tips to be able listen and keep safe at the same time?
I do it all the time. Often that is really helpful for getting through a miserable ride.

Fact is that if a car is coming up behind you unsafely, there is nothing you can do. With headphones you still can see what is in front of you and that is safe enough.
Old 05-10-20, 09:02 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by adlai
I do it all the time. Often that is really helpful for getting through a miserable ride.

Fact is that if a car is coming up behind you unsafely, there is nothing you can do. With headphones you still can see what is in front of you and that is safe enough.
FWIW, see my preceding post (link) on this thread in reply to this question:
Originally Posted by MattTheHat
Can someone...anyone...explain how knowing a car is behind you makes any difference whatsoever? Please?

I've asked this in other threads and never gotten a response. In other words, what do you do with the information? What do you do differently?

Are you pulling off the road or something? It seems to me that if you do anything differently based on whether or not a car is behind you is just a recipe for disaster, because you're going to eventually get it wrong,,.
Old 05-10-20, 09:13 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by Bigbus
I prefer country, but sometimes classic rock. I'll have to download some bird and insects and try that....
During a 2016 tour in MT I hung out here for about 20 min. soaking it all in. During that time I did not hear one manmade sound. Not even an airplane. Just the sounds created by the wind and those created by birds and insects. I didn't want to leave.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 05-10-20, 10:11 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Nirvana
Old 05-10-20, 10:17 AM
phughes

Okay, I will give a serious response to this. We are not dogs, our sense of hearing is not the same, we cannot discern location well from sound, as dogs, and most animals can. While I believe you should be able to hear sounds around you, such as horns and emergency vehicles, I also do not believe you can use sound to pinpoint a car coming up behind you too close to the edge of the road to be safe. Sure, you may hear a car coming up behind you, but so what? where I ride, that occurs almost every second, so what do you do, pull over and stop? The entire argument is ridiculous.

I also do not believe one should blast music loudly in earphones, for many reasons, one of which is to not shot yourself off from noises you do need to hear, like the above mentioned emergency vehicles, sirens, and horns. I have used earphones to listen to audiobooks on tour, but I could hear other noises easily.

If you want to know what is behind you, and whether or not it is a danger, use a mirror. Until you learn echo-location, or develop a dog's sense of hearing, relying on your ears is not an option.

To believe you can know a car is coming up too closely based on hearing is ridiculous. Ride in a town with heavy traffic, all you have a cars, and you will hear all of them. Which one is a danger? Based on hearing, you will not be able to know. You need to see. The only real issue is that many who wear earphones, are simply inattentive to the world around them, that is another issue entirely.
Likes For phughes:
Old 05-10-20, 10:27 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by GlennR
Nirvana
Yeah. I’ve ridden that 23 mile stretch 3 times. Maybe a total of 8 cars. Far more free range cattle. One year I got dogged by what I later discovered was a common snipe.
Old 05-10-20, 10:30 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

Yeah. I’ve ridden that 23 mile stretch 3 times. Maybe a total of 8 cars. Far more free range cattle. One year I got dogged by what I later discovered was a common snipe.
This is my spot. not as secluded but it's a peaceful spot in the middle of the suburbs.

That is until someone passes with a radio playing.

Last edited by GlennR; 05-10-20 at 10:34 AM.
Likes For GlennR:
Old 05-10-20, 10:32 AM
indyfabz

Ride in a town with heavy traffic, all you have a cars, and you will hear all of them. Which one is a danger? Based on hearing, you will not be able to know. You need to see.
In my big city you can stand a very good chance of getting a close pass if you can hear rap blasting from the vehicle approaching from behind and you’re riding a narrow street.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 05-10-20, 10:41 AM
phughes

In my big city you can stand a very good chance of getting a close pass if you can hear rap blasting from the vehicle approaching from behind and you’re riding a narrow street.
I know what you mean, but as long as their bass is loud enough, the sound waves will vibrate your bike enough to slightly levitate your bike so it will simply move to the side like a hockey puck if they hit you, so you won't get hurt.
Old 05-10-20, 02:09 PM
MattTheHat 

Bikes: 2021 S-Works Turbo Creo SL, 2020 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 4,023 Times in 1,425 Posts
During a 2016 tour in MT I hung out here for about 20 min. soaking it all in. During that time I did not hear one manmade sound. Not even an airplane. Just the sounds created by the wind and those created by birds and insects. I didn't want to leave.
They call it Big Sky Country for good reason. Look at that sky! Beautiful.
Likes For MattTheHat:
Old 05-10-20, 02:51 PM
Bigbus
Very Senior Member

This is my spot. not as secluded but it's a peaceful spot in the middle of the suburbs.

If they were wearing proper ear buds you wouldn't be disturbed... Just saying. I realize that there is at least one, possibly two people out there somewhere that don't like country music, and for their sake, I wear ear buds.
Likes For Bigbus:
Old 05-10-20, 03:55 PM
BobsPoprad

Bikes: Lemond Poprad, Cervelo Soloist, Cannondale F4, RANS Velocity Squared

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 45 Posts
Used to. Not anymore. Most, if not all, of the reasons have been stated.
Old 05-10-20, 04:05 PM
adlai

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 34 Posts
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
FWIW, see my preceding post (link) on this thread in reply to this question:
well also a lot of riders are jerks while riding, taking up the entire center lane.

sure, you have the right, but if some guy messes up you’re screwed.

I always ride as far to the right as I can. So that even if the car isn’t paying attention perfectly, he won’t hit me.

So it makes no difference if I detect a car behind me because I am always as far to the right as I can be. Any further and I’ll be in grass.
Likes For adlai:
Old 05-10-20, 04:55 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by adlai
well also a lot of riders are jerks while riding, taking up the entire center lane.

sure, you have the right, but if some guy messes up you’re screwed.

I always ride as far to the right as I can. So that even if the car isn’t paying attention perfectly, he won’t hit me.

So it makes no difference if I detect a car behind me because I am always as far to the right as I can be. Any further and I’ll be in grass.
Well, "Take the Lane" vs "As Far Right as Possible" is another popcorn subject as divisive as Listening to Music via Headphones.
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
I’m decades-long, year-round cycle commuter in Boston, lucky to have a reverse commute from downtown to a outlying suburb…

Riding venues for me are situational, and I use my judgement.
Originally Posted by Maelochs
Doesn't really seem that a lot else needs to be said.
Old 05-10-20, 05:20 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Just pass the person already!
Seriously though, if the person is walking/jogging/running/cycling in a reliable line, just pass them. There is no need to have everyone acknowledge you on MUPs.

That's the point, though, they appear to be staying in a reliable line and then just dart out in front of you just as you close. This is not common, but I've had a couple of very close calls.
Old 05-10-20, 05:30 PM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 821 Post(s)
Liked 1,955 Times in 941 Posts
To the OP: Have you ever been hit by a vehicle? There is usually a couple of seconds once you hear the vehicle to move over closer to the roadside if one is available. I use those few seconds for that purpose. Some of us do not have good hearing to begin with. I count on those few seconds for my safety. So what is most important in your life - music, or the possibility of avoid getting hit?
Likes For CAT7RDR:
Old 05-10-20, 05:50 PM
Pugs2xLove

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 89 Times in 66 Posts

That's a sharp bike. I like the all black color with red letters.
Old 05-10-20, 05:52 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Originally Posted by Pugs2xLove
That's a sharp bike. I like the all black color with red letters.
Thanks... I didn't plan it but glad it worked out looking like a uniform paint scheme.
Old 05-10-20, 10:57 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
That's the point, though, they appear to be staying in a reliable line and then just dart out in front of you just as you close. This is not common, but I've had a couple of very close calls.
The "you" I'm writing about is not the above poster, just a general you. I happen to agree with what is quoted.

To me, if you're on a MUP that has pedestrians on it, you should only be traveling at a speed similar to other pedestrians, the fastest of which are runners. In other words, same speed as the other users.

I don't bother hailing people I'm passing. For one thing, the MUPs I generally ride on are alongside pretty busy roads, so the road noise covers my voice, unless I yell at the top of my lungs. I don't like doing that. Even then, they can't hear if listening to their ear buds (which they have every right to do btw - for chrissakes, they're out for a walk, why shouldn't they?) Not to mention, pets on leashes and kids who are, well, kids. All have every right to be on the trail and all have the right to expect you to be safe.

Like the poster above, I've had people dart in front of me whether I call out or not. The safe thing is just pass at a speed that you can stop or swerve, just as if you were a runner on the path passing walkers.

That is very slow, by the way. Sometimes you actually have to slow to their speed and follow until you can get by safely (at that point you can probably talk to them in a conversational manner to get their attention if need-be).

So I just behave as if I'm just another user at the same speed - I SLOW THE F DOWN to a safe speed, and just pass safely at the speed to make the pass reasonably quickly, but as safe as need be. No need to call your pass in those circumstances, just be safe. If someone yells at you for not calling out, you could stop and explain why you didn't or just give a friendly wave and continue on.

MUPs are MULTI USE. Live with it. Be safe. If you don't like it, get on the street.

If I have a good sight line and see no other users, I go as fast as I want until I do, or until I lose the sight line.

Last edited by Camilo; 05-10-20 at 11:06 PM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.