Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

New Bike Shortage

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-20, 07:11 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,520 Times in 7,324 Posts
Originally Posted by Oneder
The 'made in america' stuff really means assembled in america. The parts are wholly or partly made in china.
Or possibly Canada.
Old 05-20-20, 07:17 PM
StarBiker

Bikes: Bianchi Grizzly, Cannondale F700,

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 807 Post(s)
Liked 154 Times in 123 Posts
Unless really scared because of what is going on (I sold a bike on CL on the 30th) CL in Florida is a bike buyers market. So is the OP in Florida, or do they reside there?
I would look on there.

And there was no mention of price. How much is the OP willing to spend?

People are funny, do they actually think on their own?

It took this for people to wash their hands, not bump into people, and for places to keep everything clean?

(I am very irritated with public places that are set up so I have to touch key pads, door handles, and sit at dirty tables, and ask a clerk to wipe a table off somewhere. Keep the place clean, or is that to much to ask?

Sorry for the rant.
Old 05-20-20, 07:17 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by Oneder
You can get custom frames in US and probably stock frames.
Gunnar, Co-Motion and IF are but a few. Isn’t Rodriguez another? Bike Friday, too. And IIRC, Thompson components are made in GA. Chris King in OR.
Old 05-20-20, 07:18 PM
StarBiker

Bikes: Bianchi Grizzly, Cannondale F700,

Quoted: 807 Post(s)
Liked 154 Times in 123 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Or possibly Canada.
Don't you make them in your back yard to save money?
Old 05-20-20, 07:32 PM
Wileyrat

Bikes: 2015 Ridley Fenix, 1983 Team Fuji, 2019 Marin Nail Trail 6

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 137 Posts
Originally Posted by viffer
But then I don’t think any phone company uses old school POTS anymore, they’ve all gone VOIP so I guess you’ll still have to do without a phone. 🙂
Off topic, but I'm a tech for one of the big three telcom providers in the US, and I can assure POTS is still around. I won't guarantee the equipment that takes it from digital to analog doesn't get here in a container on the same ships that most of our bikes arrive on.

Last edited by Wileyrat; 05-20-20 at 07:35 PM.
Old 05-20-20, 07:49 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4346 Post(s)
Liked 3,981 Times in 2,661 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Gunnar, Co-Motion and IF are but a few. Isn’t Rodriguez another? Bike Friday, too. And IIRC, Thompson components are made in GA. Chris King in OR.
Thomson makes some stuff in the U.S. Stems and seat posts.

Also tons of other awesome builders. Phil Wood, Paul, White Industries, Industry Nine, Hadley, Profile Racing, TiCycles, Wolf Tooth Components, Rolf Prima/Astral, Velocity, Wald, Wheels MFG, ODI, Oury, ESI, King Cage, Wheelsmith, Wickwerks...are all U.S. made component manufacturers though plenty of builders are also making stems and handlebars and other components as well.

If only Mr. Paul would re-make his old derailleur again we would be in business,
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 05-20-20, 08:33 PM
HerrKaLeun

Bikes: Giant Toughroad SLR1 and Motobecane Sturgis NX

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 168 Posts
Good, another US-supremacy thread. Must have lived under a rock the last 40 years if you discover NOW in 2020 that most consumer products (or most parts) are made elsewhere.

Production and capacity is planned out months if not years ahead. To be profitable they attempt to run factories at 100% (minus maintenance time). This current sale is just a bubble and manufacturers know there will be dry time coming up. They won't, and can't, just up production of those $500 bikes. The bikes in the store now were ordered last summer or fall.
Likes For HerrKaLeun:
Old 05-20-20, 10:27 PM
GamblerGORD53

Bikes: 2013 Custom SA5w / Rohloff Tourster

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 245 Posts
WTF....I agree, Taiwan is NOT CCP China. Not much except carbon, bearings and Walmart is made on the mainland actually, AFAIK. Velocity rims are made in USA. Tires in other SE Asia. Dyno lights in Germany. I just bought a SRAM 1/8 chain, made in Portugal.
There are LOTS of bikes and parts made in Europe. Most Dutch bikes without defaileurs will last a hell of a lot longer too. Rohloff is German of course. SA is made in Taiwan. Vivente was making good bikes in OZ, not sure about now.
But yah, toys and electronics are mostly made in mainland China.

Last edited by GamblerGORD53; 05-21-20 at 08:14 AM.
Old 05-21-20, 12:42 AM
Dwillems26

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Ogsarg
Just out of curiosity, but how long did you boycott American products after the swine flu epidemic (originated on U.S. Pig farms) of 2009?
highly doubt there coronavirus being first identified in China has anything to do with him wanting a USA made bike. Most people that look for USA made just want the reassurance of the quality and more importantly supporting their country's jobs.

For me, I know things are made in China, I know it's cheaper, but when I can I keep to USA made to support my own country. It never has anything to do with ethnicity or what's going on in the country at that time.

Edit: and yes, I know that the USA made sticker doesn't mean everything was made in the states.
Old 05-21-20, 01:42 AM
PDKL45

Bikes: Merida Speeder

Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 165 Times in 115 Posts
Originally Posted by Sunman54
Didn't realize the China aspect. What brands are made in China or perhaps would the question then be what brands are not made in China? I will not purchase a bike made in China. I've looked at Specialized, Trek, Fuji, Raleigh, Cannondale, and Scott. All online. Any made here in the USA or even Europe? I'd rather walk then support anything made in China. I know almost everything is made there. But have to start somewhere with not supporting a Country that gave us the Wuhan virus.
Most bikes from the brands you mention are made in Taiwan. Taiwan, known officially at the Republic of China, is not the "China" that you will not purchase from, so relax, you'll be fine. Look for the Made in Taiwan sticker and you'll be ideologically pure, especially with President Tsai Ing-wen's recent reelection.

I've seen this a few times in the forums now, people thinking that the majority of bikes are made in China. To be fair, the issue has been somewhat confused, after the Nixon years, when the US dropped official recognition of Taiwan (the Republic of China), in favor of official recognition of China (the People's Republic of China) in a move aimed squarely at isolating the USSR.

The two split apart in 1949, after the Nationalists were defeated by the Communists in the Chinese civil war, and retreated to the island of Formosa (Taiwan) where they built a thriving modern democratic state, which, along with Hong Kong, Singapore and South Korea, came to be known as one of the four Asian Tigers, highly developed industrialized nations in the East Asia-SE Asia region. These were countries whose economies boomed in the 1980s and 1990s as neighboring Communist economies stagnated under planned production quotas and the fall of the Soviet Union etc.

Taiwan came to lead the world in bicycle production in the 1970s, when US companies like Schwinn turned away from increasingly expensive Japanese original equipment manufacturers (OEM) to OEM companies based in Taiwan. Now, Giant, a company based in Taiwan, is the biggest bicycle manufacturer in the world. Other companies, like Merida, make their own products, as well as OEM products. Merida have a 49% stake in Specialized and thus manufacture Specialized bikes for the global market. Others, like Maxway, supply bicycle frames etc to so many companies that when you see two bicycles from different brands on the floor of a bike shop, they may have been made in the same factory in Taichung, Taiwan.

Last edited by PDKL45; 05-21-20 at 02:03 AM.
Likes For PDKL45:
Old 05-21-20, 06:33 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by veganbikes
Thomson makes some stuff in the U.S. Stems and seat posts.
I have one of each on my road bike. Chris King hubs and headset well.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 05-21-20, 08:16 AM
Ogsarg

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Quoted: 642 Post(s)
Liked 1,524 Times in 550 Posts
Originally Posted by Dwillems26
highly doubt there coronavirus being first identified in China has anything to do with him wanting a USA made bike. Most people that look for USA made just want the reassurance of the quality and more importantly supporting their country's jobs.

For me, I know things are made in China, I know it's cheaper, but when I can I keep to USA made to support my own country. It never has anything to do with ethnicity or what's going on in the country at that time.

Edit: and yes, I know that the USA made sticker doesn't mean everything was made in the states.
The OP specifically said "But have to start somewhere with not supporting a Country that gave us the Wuhan virus." You can speculate that wasn't the reason, but it sure sounds like it to me so just wondering if the same sentiment extends to any country where any pandemic originates.

Please don't mistake me for someone who has no concern where things come from. I work in manufacturing and thinks its very sad that so much of it has been lost to countries where labor and environmental regulations are mostly non-existent.
Old 05-21-20, 08:32 AM
Tacoenthusiast

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 223 Times in 84 Posts
Originally Posted by Dwillems26
Most people that look for USA made just want the reassurance of the quality
The reassurance of quality, sure it's low quality but at least we are reassured of that hahahaha

Production didn't just leave the USA for price reasons, there are/were quality issues too
Old 05-21-20, 09:11 AM
probe1957

Bikes: 2020 Scott Speedster 10 Disc

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by Tacoenthusiast
Production didn't just leave the USA for price reasons, there are/were quality issues too
Perhaps, but it was MOSTLY price. Over regulation and union labor adds considerable unnecessary costs.
Old 05-21-20, 10:13 AM
Robert C

Bikes: This list got too long: several ‘bents, an urban utility e-bike, and a dahon D7 that my daughter has absconded with.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 48 Posts
Didn't realize the China aspect. What brands are made in China or perhaps would the question then be what brands are not made in China?
Rodriguez Cycles are made in the US, they have been doing so for over forty years. For anything but standard sizes, they have a waiting list. My daughter has one of their bikes. All I can say is a great bike and great service.
Old 05-21-20, 10:54 AM
Dwillems26

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Ogsarg
The OP specifically said "But have to start somewhere with not supporting a Country that gave us the Wuhan virus." You can speculate that wasn't the reason, but it sure sounds like it to me so just wondering if the same sentiment extends to any country where any pandemic originates.

Please don't mistake me for someone who has no concern where things come from. I work in manufacturing and thinks its very sad that so much of it has been lost to countries where labor and environmental regulations are mostly non-existent.
My apologies. I didn't see that in post #3 .
Old 05-21-20, 11:05 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4346 Post(s)
Liked 3,981 Times in 2,661 Posts
Didn't realize the China aspect. What brands are made in China or perhaps would the question then be what brands are not made in China? I will not purchase a bike made in China. I've looked at Specialized, Trek, Fuji, Raleigh, Cannondale, and Scott. All online. Any made here in the USA or even Europe? I'd rather walk then support anything made in China. I know almost everything is made there. But have to start somewhere with not supporting a Country that gave us the Wuhan virus.

This was gross. I didn't even notice you wrote that. Blaming the people and area known as Wuhan in China for a virus that is global and has unknown origins is a pretty pathetic thought path. I get it, it is super easy to believe whatever oddball conspiracies that people tell you especially during a time of crisis but I highly suggest not doing that and just focus on helping end this thing.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 05-21-20, 12:43 PM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 699 Times in 436 Posts
I've been "on the bubble" about buying a hybrid-maybe one in the Trek FX line. A local dealer has 4 shops within a reasonable distance to drive. Called today (5/21) and was told there were no models of the Trek FX available in any of their stores. Maybe I'll find one when "isolation" ends and people who didn't really get much use out of them start to sell them off. Have a road and mtn.bike now, so don't really need one, but we all know how that goes!
Old 05-21-20, 01:51 PM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Sweet. There’s still the question of where the parts to build the bear are coming from (probably still China). And a $50 bear is still around 5 times more than what most people would care to pay. But it’s a nice bear...
Even though it's been said again and again on the Bike Forums, I guess that this needs repeating...[sigh]

Even though you get to customize, it's always cheaper to buy the complete bear that you want than it is to build your bear from parts. You do, however, gain the experience and satisfaction from doing it yourself. And that may translate into being able to do your bear maintenance going forward.
Likes For Phil_gretz:
Old 05-21-20, 02:03 PM
viffer
Live to Ride

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Phil_gretz
Even though it's been said again and again on the Bike Forums, I guess that this needs repeating...[sigh]

Even though you get to customize, it's always cheaper to buy the complete bear that you want than it is to build your bear from parts. You do, however, gain the experience and satisfaction from doing it yourself. And that may translate into being able to do your bear maintenance going forward.
My bear has been making some strange squeaky noises from its bottom end. I opened it up and stuck a greasy lubed finger into its inner workings but it seems to still have a problem elsewhere.

But I agree, everyone should learn how their bear works and care for it themselves if only to avoid the 4 week wait at the bear repair shop these days.
Old 05-21-20, 03:12 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
My bear has been making some strange squeaky noises from its bottom end. I opened it up and stuck a greasy lubed finger into its inner workings but it seems to still have a problem elsewhere.
Last time I had a greasy lubed finger inserted in my bottom end, i was having my prostate checked.
Old 05-21-20, 05:44 PM
PDKL45

Bikes: Merida Speeder

Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 165 Times in 115 Posts
Originally Posted by GlennR
Last time I had a greasy lubed finger inserted in my bottom end, i was having my prostate checked.
That's just Friday night for me, but I digress.

The world is facing a potential shortage of bikes, something even outlets like the NY Times have picked up on (https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/18/n...ronavirus.html). Other NY outlets are reporting the same thing (https://www.ny1.com/nyc/all-boroughs...ing-for-a-bike).

Even if most bicycles are made in Taiwan, the raw materials and semi-finished products used by bike companies often come from elsewhere, including, but not limited to mainland China. In this regard, the global shipping industry, like many other industries, is grappling with the new normal and has seen large disruptions. It's not just one thing affecting bicycle availability, it's a range of things, not least of them disruptions to the global transport of materials and finished goods.

The bike industry works a year or so ahead of itself, and so even while we may see some new products and innovations in 2020, like the new 2021 Specialized Diverge, those bikes were probably being manufactured, assembled and packed last year and into the start of this year, to be in stores by May 2020. I think we'll see a shortage of model year 2021 and 2022 bikes, as the global economy and all of the small things that have to come together for bicycles to be produced and available shake themselves out and get rearranged to meet current challenges. Taiwan is relatively unaffected by the virus and it will be interesting to see if they are able to get factories up and running at capacity this year to produce the model year 2022 bikes due to be released in the northern hemisphere late spring-early summer of 2021.

I think the best thing to do right now is hunker down with the bike you have and wait for brighter days. If you were ever thinking of selling any excess bikes you own, now would be a good time to do so.
Old 05-22-20, 06:01 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Their are so many bikes on Craigslist, Facebook Marketplace and other local sites right now, that I think that we'll scrape by somehow.

A shortage of bikes has never been my problem...
Likes For Phil_gretz:
Old 05-22-20, 07:12 AM
texaspandj

Bikes: '85, '86 , '87 , '88 , '89 Centurion Dave Scott Ironman.

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Quoted: 1605 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 379 Posts
Originally Posted by GlennR
What about the time before that?
Old 05-22-20, 07:31 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Originally Posted by texaspandj
What about the time before that?
I'm disappointed you don't remember

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.