Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

shimano 8x3 rear derailleur

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

shimano 8x3 rear derailleur

Old 05-29-20, 09:29 AM
fishroombum

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Shimano SORA 8x3 Front derailleur bottom

Hello everyone,
I just picked up a Specialized Sequoia, looks to be about 13-14 years old? This is a bike for my 15 year old daughter.

I took it into a local shop, had them clean it up. The mechanic told me I needed to find the following replacement part: 8 x 3 Rear Derailleur, bottom loading. Looking at the part it is stamped with Shimano SANO FD-3304. I’m not a knowledge bike person so this was further confusing when I looked it up and it referenced a Front Loader. At this point I’d say, forget finding the exact replacement part. How about just finding something as good or better, maybe something more modern and easier to locate?

My objective is to find a replacement 8x3 derailleur, bottom loading part. Preferably I just find a “new” replacement part that has no wear. Can some recommend which part I can buy for this bike? So long as the replacement part is as good or better and is compatible, we will be happy.

Thanks to anyone that’s willing to help out!
Fishroombum

Last edited by fishroombum; 05-29-20 at 03:43 PM. Reason: .
Old 05-29-20, 09:34 AM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds.

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1774 Post(s)
Liked 1,231 Times in 852 Posts
FD is a FDER
RD would be a rear.
I think you mean bottom pull?
Old 05-29-20, 12:27 PM
AeroGut

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 141 Posts
Any shimano road triple front derailleur should work. Over the years, the Sora, Tiagra, 105 and Ultegra groups all had a triple option at one time or another, so look for any of those, but make sure it is the triple version. For example, the readily available Sora FD-R3030 should work fine. It is labeled as "9-spd" because that's the current Sora setup, but that doesn't affect the derailleur design.
Avoid the mountain bike front derailleurs - names like Alivio, Acera, Deore.
Likes For AeroGut:
Old 05-29-20, 12:51 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,732 Times in 3,262 Posts
Wow how fast a word sidetracks a thread. As your subject line says rear derailleur, you say the mechanic said rear derailleur but used a phrase I've never heard used for front or rear DR's that sort of lends itself with front derailleurs more so than rear, AFAIK I sort of take bottom loading as meaning bottom pull. Then you ask about a front derailleur that you found.

So to keep everything clear, you might need to re-state what it is you need. A front derailleur (FD) or rear derailleur (RD). Not getting on you for not knowing terminology, but you need to keep this thread going in the right direction.

Last edited by Iride01; 05-29-20 at 12:54 PM.
Old 05-29-20, 03:37 PM
August West

Bikes: Domane SLR7 Project One

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 105 Posts
I'm guessing it is front since the lower end Shimano 3 speeds of that era had a design issue where the spring pressure would be lost due to a tab breaking off. I had a 2003 Jamis with an 8 x 3 TIAGRA group that suffered this fate. Luckily, replacements are cheap and easy to install.
Old 05-29-20, 03:55 PM
fishroombum

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I appreciate the help everyone. I called the bike mechanic back and we got the story straight. I apologize for any confusion. I told him about the FD-3034 stamp on the back of the part and the Shimano SORA sticker and he agreed, this is a Front Derailleur 3x8 bottom. I updated the subject of the thread to reflect the correct "objective". I apologize for any confusion. Six kids, this is just one of many things I'm working on right now.

That said...
AeroGut (thank you) mentioned that the: Sora FD-R3030 should work as a replacement. If that's an option I'm happy with that.

Also, if there's something that's more efficient and maybe a better product, I'd be more inclined to invest in the better product.

Thanks everyone,
FRB
Likes For fishroombum:
Old 05-29-20, 09:11 PM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 456 Times in 358 Posts
For a better product look for 105 or Ultegra, but FDs are pretty simple. A pain to set up though.