Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

What is your solution for riding in a spot with low reception?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

What is your solution for riding in a spot with low reception?

Old 08-03-20, 01:07 PM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1242 Post(s)
Liked 1,318 Times in 671 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
Back when I was squandering my youth, I spent the better part of many summers just bumming around the country in my pickup truck with a bunch of camping and backpacking gear...Completely out-of-touch for a month (or longer) at a time. It never occurred to me that being disconnected, and unreachable, would be a problem -- rather, it was great. Most of my friends didn't have as much free time, so I would often end up meeting someone in the middle of my travels. Sometimes a person would fly into a city, so I would plan to be nearby and would go to the airport; once, my sister was meeting me in Alaska during the middle of my trip, and so on the appointed day I packed out of the Denali NP backcountry, caught a ride to the train station, and fifteen minutes later the train rolled up and she hopped right off. Once, a friend and I were each travelling, and we made plans to meet at a certain state park that neither of us had ever visited; on the planned date, I showed up, picked out a campsite, started reading a book, and an hour later (and weeks after we had last spoken), my friend drove up.

Somehow, we accomplished all of this without phone contact. We also managed to repair our vehicles, treat our wounds, procure food, etc.

I sometimes share some of these stories with my students, who are all 18-22 yrs old and treat their cell phones as appendages. When I suggest that they are not necessary for modern life, they look at me as if I've suggested that they don't need oxygen.
I notice all these posts about people and all their amazing bold adventures are in the past tense. It is almost negligent not to use current satellite tracking technology when out in isolated areas. If you don't show up when you are supposed to who is going to be tasked with finding you and how extensive will the search be? We had an instance in the Pacific North West where a gravel rider crashed and a major search resulted in attempt to find him. There also seems to be a lot of baggage about youth and the apparent addiction to smartphones, these are two different discussions.
Likes For Atlas Shrugged:
Old 08-03-20, 01:33 PM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2970 Post(s)
Liked 1,177 Times in 768 Posts
Originally Posted by velopig
It is almost negligent not to use current satellite tracking technology when out in isolated areas.
No it's not. People did it for years and year and years.

https://www.outsideonline.com/206064...more-dangerous

https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...fbf_story.html
Old 08-03-20, 01:54 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,936 Times in 1,900 Posts
if you have an ex, no cell needed. They'll know where you are at all times phone or no phone. it's built in the Ex app.
Old 08-03-20, 02:25 PM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
What a bunch of judgemental idiots! Nothing wrong with being able to communicate and have help available should something get out of hand. I enjoy long solo hikes and bike tours sometimes in fairly remote areas. Also, I have people who care about me and enjoy a check-in on a regular basis for this I use a SPOT satellite communicator to send a breadcrumb trail, to allow for all ok messages daily and an emergency button linked with worldwide emergency services should that be required.
Good stuff lol
Old 08-03-20, 02:27 PM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
Have a plan, look at a map. Look at the sun, easy to figure out east and west from there. Unless you wake up face down in the grass from excess drinking, can figure out north and south from there from the campsite. Got a compass? Your phone will have one. Paper maps never need charging. Get some topos, Delorme makes one for every state in the US. Pack a sandwich or 3. Done lots of bikepacking all over New England, sometimes you miss a road or a town on a map? It happens. Bridge out, bridge missing, bridge closed, road doesn't exist( cept on a map) Road ends in a reservoir ( Like the Quabbin in MA) pavement runs right into the water. Roads are flatter next to the rivers and RR tracks. Live a little.
Old 08-03-20, 02:43 PM
Chad991

Bikes: Lynsky Helix Pro

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 31 Posts
Bring a map and ride.....problem solved
Old 08-03-20, 02:44 PM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1242 Post(s)
Liked 1,318 Times in 671 Posts
Originally Posted by HD3andMe
So. Much. Fear.

Many folks have a more realistic approach to life.

For instance, I spent four hours out of cell service riding on Saturday and three hours on Sunday. Like other normal folks, not once did I fret because I was out of cell range. It was no big deal, despite some hand-wringers imagining that it's "almost negligent."
I am not talking about living dangerously by ordering a cappuccino after noon!

My point is when in a remote area sometimes for days and something happens getting found is a simple matter compared to mobilizing a extensive search and rescue effort. Nobody here is fretting it just makes sense.
Likes For Atlas Shrugged:
Old 08-03-20, 02:50 PM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 588 Posts

My point is when in a remote area sometimes for days and something happens ...
There's a difference between being in a remote area for days vs. riding around town in the 12-million-person metro area where I live. For the former, I might bring a phone. For the latter, probably not. Come to think of it, every third cyclist I pass on the paths these days has their nose glued to their phone anyway. There are plenty of phones available if needed.
Old 08-03-20, 02:56 PM
cometphoton

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DreamRider85
A lot of lot rides are in country rodes and often times there’s no cell phone service. What is your plan?
Cell phone booster. I would add a link but I am new and I must post 10 things first.
Old 08-03-20, 02:58 PM
cometphoton

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cell PHONE BOOSTER

The booster is a cradle and you just put the phone into it. The other is to add an antenna.
Old 08-03-20, 02:59 PM
cometphoton

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cell PHONE BOOSTER

The booster is a cradle and you just put the phone into it. The other is to add an antenna.
Old 08-03-20, 03:05 PM
Troul 

Originally Posted by Reflector Guy
There's a difference between being in a remote area for days vs. riding around town in the 12-million-person metro area where I live. For the former, I might bring a phone. For the latter, probably not. Come to think of it, every third cyclist I pass on the paths these days has their nose glued to their phone anyway. There are plenty of phones available if needed.
You actually trust society that much? I have some ocean front property in Ohio that you might be interested in??
Old 08-03-20, 03:11 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10394 Post(s)
Liked 11,844 Times in 6,062 Posts
Originally Posted by Troul
You actually trust society that much? I have some ocean front property in Ohio that you might be interested in??
At the very least, someone will stop to take a selfie by your mangled bike, and you can ask them to send a copy to your next of kin.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 08-03-20, 03:11 PM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 588 Posts
Oh, I wouldn't actually borrow one of those other people's phones. I have no one to call...
Old 08-03-20, 03:14 PM
Troul 

Originally Posted by genejockey
At the very least, someone will stop to take a selfie by your mangled bike, and you can ask them to send a copy to your next of kin.
Witnessed someone take a spill on there skateboard & a driver do just that, take a picture of it rather up close & proceed to drive away. I went over to the injured person & asked if they needed assistance.
Old 08-03-20, 03:16 PM
Troul 

Originally Posted by Reflector Guy
Oh, I wouldn't actually borrow one of those other people's phones. I have no one to call...
but what if your running late for your Kroger curbside order pick-up time!?
Old 08-03-20, 03:21 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Originally Posted by HD3andMe
Nope, you're wrong again.

When you claim that "it is almost negligent not to use current satellite tracking technology when out in isolated areas" along with your other fearful comments, you're definitely fretting. It's sad.
Eh. I, and I think a lot of others, are inclined to see it as a nice insurance policy that we didn't use to have, but now do. The key is putting it in perspective - I wouldn't skip a ride because my phone is discharged, but my having it makes my wife feel more comfortable with my riding.

Likes For genejockey:
Old 08-03-20, 03:23 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Witnessed someone take a spill on there skateboard & a driver do just that, take a picture of it rather up close & proceed to drive away. I went over to the injured person & asked if they needed assistance.
Like the videos of injured/trapped animals or people - many times, another pair of hands would have been more useful than recording it.

Old 08-03-20, 03:26 PM
downhillmaster

Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts

My point is when in a remote area sometimes for days and something happens getting found is a simple matter compared to mobilizing a extensive search and rescue effort. Nobody here is fretting it just makes sense.
Yeah, uhh...
Not buying it.
Why in the world would anyone so obviously afraid of being stranded on a bike ride ever go on solo multi day rides in remote areas?
You keep rocking your Direct TV satellite receivers though bro
Likes For downhillmaster:
Old 08-03-20, 03:28 PM
Drew Eckhardt 

Bikes: 97 Litespeed, 50-39-30x13-26 10 cogs, Campagnolo Ultrashift, retroreflective rims on SON28/PowerTap hubs

Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by DreamRider85
A lot of lot rides are in country rodes and often times there’s no cell phone service. What is your plan?
I use a GPS bike computer and am fully equipped to handle mechanical problems.
Likes For Drew Eckhardt:
Old 08-03-20, 03:44 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

This thread and the CO2 inflater thread make an interesting juxtaposition. One of the times I've made the Call Of Shame was when the limited practice I'd done with my CO2 inflater months before turned out to be inadequate on the road, and I was left with a still-flat tire and two empty cartridges. Now I ALWAYS carry a pump.

Old 08-03-20, 03:56 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6932 Post(s)
Liked 10,932 Times in 4,669 Posts
I notice all these posts about people and all their amazing bold adventures are in the past tense. It is almost negligent not to use current satellite tracking technology when out in isolated areas. If you don't show up when you are supposed to who is going to be tasked with finding you and how extensive will the search be? We had an instance in the Pacific North West where a gravel rider crashed and a major search resulted in attempt to find him. There also seems to be a lot of baggage about youth and the apparent addiction to smartphones, these are two different discussions.
Umm, has it occurred to you that cell phones often don't work in "isolated areas"?

And while I have seen plenty of older people who can't seem to put down their cellphones, I (and perhaps others) am referring to young people who seem to regard them as necessities rather than luxuries...Which is understandable (if regrettable), given that they can't remember a world without such devices. (And yes, I am presuming that the OP is a younger person.)
Old 08-03-20, 04:06 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
If there's no cell service, how can I update my social media with selfies? After all i'm an interweb "influencer" with millions of followers who can't live without my online posts.
Likes For GlennR:
Old 08-03-20, 04:14 PM
Troul 

I need to always one-up others with my check-ins, so how would that ever be possible without a smart device**********?? Think of the social media, won't someone think of the social medias!?
Old 08-03-20, 04:48 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3646 Post(s)
Liked 5,378 Times in 2,730 Posts
Originally Posted by cometphoton
Cell phone booster. I would add a link but I am new and I must post 10 things first.
All sound like a good ideas. Will they work from a basement?
Likes For shelbyfv:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.