Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

New Commuter!

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

New Commuter!

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-20, 09:26 AM
kellichou
Pedal Stompin'

Bikes: 2014 Metrofiets w/EBO e-assist; 2007 Trek 7300; 1986 Peugeot road bike w/downtube shifters

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
New Commuter!

I've been commuting to work the past 3 years, but now with my kiddo going to a new school, I'll be taking drop-off instead of pick-up. Before I had my hybrid bike with panniers, and I would just ride back to my vehicle (8.5 mi/13.6 km each way), put the bike on a rack, then go pick up my offspring in the car. But now, with taking her to school in the mornings and my spouse will pick up, I needed a way to take the kid with me. And e-assist will be very nice for a 10.5mi/16.8km each way commute.

The GoCargo has a 48v single battery, with attachment points for a second battery later. It has a 750W motor (Bafang I think?). It has a throttle, and pedal assist from levels 0 to 5. Shimano 7 speed derailleur. I got clipless pedals so I can use my cycling shoes, and while the stock saddle is surprisingly good, I'm tempted to switch over my beloved Brooks Imperial B17S saddle.

It has fairly fat tires, Kenda Juggernaut 26" x 2.6", although I'm a fan of Schwalbe Marathons, so I will probably switch to those when the current tires wear out. I got an extra charger, so I can keep one at work just in case I need to charge during the day. My bike is 76 lb (34 kg) before adding all the extras to it, so the pedal assist is very helpful.

Got the Yepp seat and EasyFit adapter to attach it to my rack used (yay). The yellow bag behind the child seat is a 21L Ortlieb RackPack bag. I also have Ortlieb classic back roller panniers, which I can use for when I want 100% waterproof assurance for cargo, which were my go-to panniers when I was commuting solo on my regular bike.

Now my only issue is that my 4 year old is terrified to ride on it, even with the kid seat. She has ridden in a trailer on my regular bike, and she has no problem with that, but this one she does. I'm hoping before long she's a speed demon and loves riding. I do know that, since I love to ride year-round, I will have to get creative with wind-blocking and other methods to keep her cozy, warm, and dry on our commutes.

After a couple of weeks of cajoling and bribing, I (feel terrible BUT) strapped her in the seat and did a 2 block ride. She shrieked the whole time, which was horrible, but hopefully she'll start to realize that riding on the bike isn't so bad. It could be developmentally appropriate resistance, too, as most 4 year olds want to increase their autonomy, especially in sh*tty times like this pandemic. I was unprepared for resistance to her wanting to ride with me!

Side view of my new commuter.

Back view of my new commuter.
Likes For kellichou:
Old 08-02-20, 09:38 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
I had some issues with my kid and the bike seat. He liked them at 2-3 but got scared in his middle 3's. Something about not being in control of the tipping, I think. He's been pretty uninterested in the tandem... he's six now and would do fine if he'd get over it.
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 08-02-20, 10:18 AM
kellichou
Pedal Stompin'

Bikes: 2014 Metrofiets w/EBO e-assist; 2007 Trek 7300; 1986 Peugeot road bike w/downtube shifters

I'm glad I'm not the only one! I totally get it from their perspective--it is ceding a lot of control to ride as a passenger like that. Breaks my heart when she says she wants to go in the car. Here's hoping she comes around!

Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
I had some issues with my kid and the bike seat. He liked them at 2-3 but got scared in his middle 3's. Something about not being in control of the tipping, I think. He's been pretty uninterested in the tandem... he's six now and would do fine if he'd get over it.
Old 08-02-20, 10:45 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
I played a lot of games with him. There was one spot at the bottom of the hill near his daycare he told me once there was a bear monster, after that I always told him we were escaping the bear monster going up that last pitch. He didn't seem to mind speed at all, it was the getting on and off that was the problem. Especially since my bike at the time had a level top tube that was a size or two too big and I had to do a big cheerleader kick to get on. See if maybe she wants to have the seat closer to you, or get on after you? At 3 she can use the handlebars and doesn't really need the seat unless she's going to sleep on you.
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 08-07-20, 09:38 PM
kellichou
Pedal Stompin'

I am happy to report, that, after some effort from my spouse and I to get the 4 year old back on the Yepp seat on the bike, the kid LOVES IT! We have been working up to longer rides, and I did an 11 mile loop the other day (which is perfect, cause it'll be 10.5 to get her to school). YAY!
Likes For kellichou:
Old 08-08-20, 09:49 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,676 Times in 827 Posts
Originally Posted by kellichou
I am happy to report, that, after some effort from my spouse and I to get the 4 year old back on the Yepp seat on the bike, the kid LOVES IT! We have been working up to longer rides, and I did an 11 mile loop the other day (which is perfect, cause it'll be 10.5 to get her to school). YAY!
Great news! because my mother used to ride my younger brother around on a kid's bike seat and he is now a successful lawyer. I'm not saying there is a connection, but I'm not saying there isn't.

This was circa 1972 and I remember the old metal bike seat so well. I looked up "Old Metal Child's Bicycle Seat" on the internet and immediately found photo of the exact seat...exactly! It looks even more dangerous than what I remembered as a kid...no straps, no helmets and also the threat of tetanus.

Likes For BobbyG: