Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

So expensive

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

So expensive

Old 09-08-20, 08:08 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 978 Post(s)
Liked 577 Times in 435 Posts
Originally Posted by ryan_rides
So... I bought my first ever bike with brakes and gears this year. I started cycling through BMX. Then I transitioned into riding single speed Fixed gear/track bikes. Never ran brakes on any of my bikes (except when I was a bike Messenger in downtown Miami). I've been hit 13 times in my life. Twice this year. Once in February and again in July. The accident in July totally destroyed my track bike. It was also a hit and run. A few of my friends helped me get a new 2021 Specialized Allez. The basic model. My LBS had it in stock at the time and I really needed another bike asap because I dont own a car. Getting a bike online worth buying was almost impossible. I love cycling and I get miles in. I'm not new to cycling by any means. I am new to having to spend SO damn much to upgrade these parts to gain speed. My bike is heavy. Easily weighsf 4 pounds more than my previous bike. I really want to get an entire new groupset(one by sram-rival) and new lighter and better wheels but that in itself is $2,000 +++++. So I'm forced to wait longer for more gains in speed and performance bike wise because I have to save so much more money. Is it worth getting not as expensive parts first? Or waiting to get the best?
It is most likely always more expensive to upgrade than to replace entirely. I did the math 2 times so far and always ended up buying a new bikes instead of upgrading them. If you find it too expensive already, I'd suggest to stay with your current setup & enjoy it.

It's worth getting more expensive parts if you keep the bike for a long run, which is impossible to know when you start cycling. Don't worry, road bikes don't depreciate as much as other goods (cars, for instance...).
Old 09-08-20, 10:54 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
So what you all are saying is that I should save my money and just buy the Specialized Allez Sprint Disc? By no means will I choose to remain to ride a bike with crappy parts and not upgrade them. That’s ridiculous. I’m not disagreeing with the fact that a power meter can help me train. Why would I put a power meter on a bike with Shimano Claris? Would you take your Toyota Yaris to a dyno?
Then you definitely don't want SRAM!
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 09-08-20, 11:06 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
So what you all are saying is that I should save my money and just buy the Specialized Allez Sprint Disc? By no means will I choose to remain to ride a bike with crappy parts and not upgrade them. That’s ridiculous. I’m not disagreeing with the fact that a power meter can help me train. Why would I put a power meter on a bike with Shimano Claris? Would you take your Toyota Yaris to a dyno?
I don't have a power meter so I don't speak for those who do, but ... if my serious intent was to improve my power (speed) I'd have no issue with training on a bike with Claris and a power meter would be a useful tool. Certainly more useful than upgrading to 105 or Ultegra to get faster more quickly.
Likes For wphamilton:
Old 09-08-20, 01:01 PM
drewtk

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by wphamilton
I don't have a power meter so I don't speak for those who do, but ... if my serious intent was to improve my power (speed) I'd have no issue with training on a bike with Claris and a power meter would be a useful tool. Certainly more useful than upgrading to 105 or Ultegra to get faster more quickly.
Agreed. OP could get a pedal based power meter, which can then be moved to any other bike.
Old 09-11-20, 02:23 PM
JayKay3000

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 50 Posts
Funny that I'm often adding weight for my training rides. I am the engine and weight is just a number to be crushed by better fitness
Old 09-11-20, 03:48 PM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
Originally Posted by JayKay3000
Funny that I'm often adding weight for my training rides. I am the engine and weight is just a number to be crushed by better fitness
Uhhh.

No.
Old 09-11-20, 04:04 PM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1974 Post(s)
Liked 1,298 Times in 630 Posts
Originally Posted by JayKay3000
If you're not getting enough resistance while climbing on a lightweight bicycle, pedal harder.
Likes For HTupolev:
Old 09-11-20, 04:17 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12735 Post(s)
Liked 7,635 Times in 4,050 Posts
So... I bought my first ever bike with brakes and gears this year. I started cycling through BMX. Then I transitioned into riding single speed Fixed gear/track bikes. Never ran brakes on any of my bikes (except when I was a bike Messenger in downtown Miami). I've been hit 13 times in my life. Twice this year. Once in February and again in July. The accident in July totally destroyed my track bike. It was also a hit and run. A few of my friends helped me get a new 2021 Specialized Allez. The basic model. My LBS had it in stock at the time and I really needed another bike asap because I dont own a car. Getting a bike online worth buying was almost impossible. I love cycling and I get miles in. I'm not new to cycling by any means. I am new to having to spend SO damn much to upgrade these parts to gain speed. My bike is heavy. Easily weighsf 4 pounds more than my previous bike. I really want to get an entire new groupset(one by sram-rival) and new lighter and better wheels but that in itself is $2,000 +++++. So I'm forced to wait longer for more gains in speed and performance bike wise because I have to save so much more money. Is it worth getting not as expensive parts first? Or waiting to get the best?
If you get hit a couple times a year, I wouldn't splurge that much. Besides Florida is too flat to worry about bike weight.
Old 09-11-20, 04:22 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Originally Posted by seattle forrest
then you definitely don't want sram!
ouch
Old 09-12-20, 07:15 AM
Zaskar

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 479 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 156 Posts
First ever bike with brakes? You can't race in any sanctioned BMX race without brakes... nor would you want to. Even if you're not racing, BMX - flatland, ramps, track - doesn't work without a free hub/wheel. So, you're saying this is your first road bike without brakes?

Forget about a power meter.
Don't upgrade your current bike.
Ride the current bike until you can afford to replace it - the entire bike.
Consider a used bike - later
Bike weight doesn't matter nearly as much as we hear, read, are told by bike manufacturers - especially in South Florida.
Body weight does matter... it also costs less to reduce

I have a lot of bikes. The two I ride the most (on the road) are:
- New Scott Foil with carbon everything and an SRM power meter.
- 1997 single speed aluminum Klein with some steel parts.

On rides under 50 miles, my average pace is virtually the same. As one of those skinny guys who got paid to ride his bike once said "It's not about the bike".
Old 09-12-20, 07:52 AM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
Originally Posted by GlennR
ouch
The truth hurts, but lies are worse.
Likes For noodle soup:
Old 09-12-20, 01:07 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Originally Posted by noodle soup
The truth hurts, but lies are worse.
I've found that most of the problems are due to poor setup.

I've had 4 bikes with Sram and my son has 3. Three with Rival 10 speed, 1 with Rival CX1, Force 10 speed, Red 22 and Red eTap and never had a problem.must be over 60,000 trouble free miles.

So either i'm doing better than everyone else or some people don't know how to setup a bike.
Likes For GlennR:
Old 09-12-20, 02:18 PM
Princess_Allez

Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 40 Posts
If your friends are on Tarmacs and have years of experience on you, buying an Allez Sprint won't help. Train on the current bike until you can afford the Sprint, then you'll be on pace with them.
Old 09-12-20, 02:55 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by GlennR
I've found that most of the problems are due to poor setup.
Either that, or a quality control issue. People say yaw derailleurs are harder to set up correctly, so more bikes with poor setup wouldn't be a surprise. But you're not the only one who it's worked satisfactorily for, proving that it can be done.
Old 09-12-20, 10:35 PM
ryan_rides

Bikes: 2018 Aventon Cordoba 2021 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by Zaskar
First ever bike with brakes? You can't race in any sanctioned BMX race without brakes... nor would you want to. Even if you're not racing, BMX - flatland, ramps, track - doesn't work without a free hub/wheel. So, you're saying this is your first road bike without brakes?

Forget about a power meter.
Don't upgrade your current bike.
Ride the current bike until you can afford to replace it - the entire bike.
Consider a used bike - later
Bike weight doesn't matter nearly as much as we hear, read, are told by bike manufacturers - especially in South Florida.
Body weight does matter... it also costs less to reduce

I have a lot of bikes. The two I ride the most (on the road) are:
- New Scott Foil with carbon everything and an SRM power meter.
- 1997 single speed aluminum Klein with some steel parts.

On rides under 50 miles, my average pace is virtually the same. As one of those skinny guys who got paid to ride his bike once said "It's not about the bike".
No. I never raced BMX. I rode street and parks and no, you dont need brakes on a BMX bike to ride lol. Obviously my Fitbikeco and WethePeople BMX had freewheels. No freecoasters though. Never got bought one and never got used to them.
I do think bike weight matters. And if it doesn't then why do poeple, like yourself, own full carbon bikes? Why dont you go to your local Walmart, buy a beach cruiser, slap Di2 on it and call it a day? Bike weight does matter a lot. The sport wouldn't be where it is today. I'm not saying that I need a sub 15lb bike. But plus 20lbs is not okay for me. Also, I'm losing weight. A few months ago I weighed 190lbs and now I'm at 180lbs. My goal is to be close to 170lbs. I do agree with just replacing the whole bike. I've looked around more and seen that I can get a Tarmac SL6 comp with Ultegra for $3,500ish. My roomate is getting the New 2021 Bianchi Aria which is around the same price I think. It's just that I have to save up so much and ride this clydesdale of a 2021 Allez that weighs 20 plus pounds for longer than I want to.
Old 09-12-20, 10:37 PM
ryan_rides

Originally Posted by Princess_Allez
If your friends are on Tarmacs and have years of experience on you, buying an Allez Sprint won't help. Train on the current bike until you can afford the Sprint, then you'll be on pace with them.
That's where youre wrong though. I'm not a weak cyclist. This is my first road bike. Been on the TRACK BIKE. Been droppin' roadies before I was one
Old 09-12-20, 11:24 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
If you're that strong, the bike weight shouldn't matter. If you think 3lbs of bike weight is why other riders are ahead of you, then the upcoming reality check is going to be a harsh one... and from the sound of it, expensive.
Old 09-12-20, 11:57 PM
Kimmo 
bike whisperer

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1523 Post(s)
Liked 716 Times in 508 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
Where does all this SRAM hate come from? Is it the nasty shift feel? Because aside from this inherent drawback of their escapement, the gear I've seen and used has appeared to be pretty good stuff, employing a few nice innovations, not least of which is the longer cable pull for better indexing consistency, and the Yaw FD which eliminates the need for trimming. The RDs were more accurate and elegant than Shimano's pre-shadow designs, GXP cranks look sleeker than HT2 cranks and still take standard rings, and you can have BB30 or BB386. While Shimano's 2nd-gen 10s groups were confounding their owners with that wing-and-a-prayer signal-to-noise ratio thanks to the tiny cable pull coupled with under-tape cables, SRAM riders were like, lol. Except anyone stuck with a 1st-gen RED FD, of course...

So yeah, it really seems like SRAM don't get a fair shake, to me. Was it the epic RED FD fail too? It's that still an albatross despite the supreme compensation of Yaw?

Last edited by Kimmo; 09-13-20 at 12:01 AM.
Old 09-13-20, 12:12 AM
ryan_rides

Originally Posted by DrIsotope
If you're that strong, the bike weight shouldn't matter. If you think 3lbs of bike weight is why other riders are ahead of you, then the upcoming reality check is going to be a harsh one... and from the sound of it, expensive.
I guess every rider in the Tour should ride walmart bikes then.
Old 09-13-20, 12:43 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Walmart has some decent bikes now. And even the lanterne rouge in the TdF would drop me like a rock on my 18 lb bike. There's no substitute for youth, a natural engine cultivated to optimal form, and getting aero. Five lbs here or there won't matter nearly as much as those factors.
Old 09-13-20, 01:03 AM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1974 Post(s)
Liked 1,298 Times in 630 Posts
The point that people are making here isn't that bicycle quality doesn't matter at all, it's that you don't seem to understand how your priorities correlate to performance.

A Walmart beach cruiser is vastly slower than a high-end road bike, but weight is actually pretty far down on the list of reasons why. Posture, rolling resistance, and *actually working properly* are all more significant in most situations.
The weight difference between an Allez and a Tarmac SL6 Comp is a little over 2lbs. For a 180lb cyclist, that's going to cost roughly 1% in climbing speed up a steep hill, and be negligible in most flat and downhill situations. That's not to say that a Tarmac SL6 Comp isn't a better bike than a base Allez, but it's important to understand why and how.

The tricky thing with weight is that its actual performance impacts are disproportionately small compared with how easy it is to feel its presence. It matters, but much less than people think if they're gauging everything by tactile noticeability.

Wont run Latex tubes cause I dont want flats.
Latex tubes require more care for installation, but in my experience, if anything they get fewer flats on the road than butyl does.
Likes For HTupolev:
Old 09-13-20, 01:14 AM
rivers

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 79 Posts
Again, the bike weight doesn't matter, especially on flat terrain. I had the same speed to work (16 mile commute on flat to rolling-ish terrain) on my 22 lb CX bike as I did on my 16 lb carbon aero bike this week. It's the engine, start working on that. Or, if it's your first bike ever with brakes and gears, make sure the breaks aren't rubbing, and maybe learn to use the gears properly? Just a thought.
Old 09-13-20, 08:35 AM
hubcyclist

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh RX 1.0, 2018 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 631 Times in 336 Posts
my man, just to reiterate my post above, I accomplish 99.999% of what most cyclists can on an allez with Claris (and I do have a power meter on it). Someone I know locally has a carbon frame, custom carbon wheels from a local builder, and is a really good masters crit racer. We ride the same loops around the same average power, and our times are generally the same. You’re attributing way too much to gear like it’ll help you leaps and bounds, But pros use gear for marginal gains, and all the entry level stuff is good enough to ride with and compete against other people.
Old 09-13-20, 08:44 AM
rubiksoval

Do you think if you got a Tour de France rider's bike, and they got a bike from Walmart, that they still wouldn't drop you out of the parking lot?
Likes For rubiksoval:
Old 09-13-20, 08:46 AM
rubiksoval

Originally Posted by hubcyclist
But pros use gear for marginal gains,
Most importantly, pros get paid to ride certain gear.

And they get paid what they get paid because of their ability to ride anything faster than everyone else.
Likes For rubiksoval:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.