Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Grant Petersen: So Fun to Read, but Rivendell Doesn't Appeal To Me

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Grant Petersen: So Fun to Read, but Rivendell Doesn't Appeal To Me

Old 09-22-20, 12:32 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Originally Posted by 70sSanO
I don’t care much one way or the other about Grant Peterson’s designs. I don’t tour and it obvious that neither do you.

You don’t have any clue about the people here who have ridden thousands of miles through all sorts of weather on those exact same bikes. What comfort and efficiency do you think is appropriate riding across states, even the country?

Do real touring in your kit first and then report back.

John

I have toured long miles and share BoraxKid's cringing reaction at the idea of covering any distance on a bike & riding position like that.

Perhaps those people that (I also) don't have a clue about could chime in with their experience while, for example, being 25 miles out from the nearest resupply, in a 15+ mph headwind in late afternoon.

I did, however, consider the idea of doing a tour on a push scooter since the slower you go, the more you see.
Old 09-22-20, 12:34 PM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
Nostradomus.. mass hypnosis.. mooks... half price day at the hyperbole store.
Likes For Happy Feet:
Old 09-22-20, 12:34 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
Originally Posted by BoraxKid
And yet there's nothing revolutionary about it, even by 1987 standards. Your emperor is naked.
Lol. Ok.
Likes For tyrion:
Old 09-22-20, 12:38 PM
Happy Feet

He was trying to gain notoriety for his flailing boutique bike business, so he made a bunch of "controversial" statements into a book to help move his merch. He didn't predict anything (despite the claims of some people in this thread), he just published a book in which he regurgitated what others were already saying. Take GP off your pedestal and recognize him for what he actually is; that's the whole point of this thread. The guy is a decent businessman who found a way to keep his niche-market business alive, nothing more, nothing less.
Again.. so much inside knowledge of a guy you had never heard of four days ago.
Likes For Happy Feet:
Old 09-22-20, 12:40 PM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: '12 Schwinn, '13 Norco

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,176 Times in 795 Posts
He was trying to gain notoriety for his flailing boutique bike business, so he made a bunch of "controversial" statements into a book to help move his merch. He didn't predict anything (despite the claims of some people in this thread), he just published a book in which he regurgitated what others were already saying. Take GP off your pedestal and recognize him for what he actually is; that's the whole point of this thread. The guy is a decent businessman who found a way to keep his niche-market business alive, nothing more, nothing less.
Pedestal . . .

I am no GP customer or disciple. I found GP's book in a Goodwill for less than $5.00. Since I'm at best the 2nd owner of that book, GP and his publisher haven't gained a cent from me. I found that particular book an interesting read, and some of his ideas in that book just reinforced what I already believed. Which is, no matter how you gear up, "Just Ride".

Last edited by FiftySix; 09-22-20 at 12:49 PM. Reason: video
Old 09-22-20, 01:08 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
You seemed to miss several important points. No one is upset that Petersen is marketing to mooks who think his bikes are pretty. People in this thread were just discussing the guy's obvious hypocrisy and some of the ridiculous statements he made. Then his stans came in and started claiming Petersen is some kind of Bike-strodamus, despite trends predating his every "prediction." I don't think anyone was getting "unhinged" or saying that Petersen ever hurt anyone. Were you replying to the right thread?

Pretty funny because I'm pretty sure I'm the one who brought up the contradiction between his writing and his product and I'm also a stan by your count because I recognize that he was writing the book at a time when it was very counter to the trends in the industry.

No one was claiming he invented the touring bike or the wide-tired drop bar bike, just that he was an early proponent and producer of multi-function drop bar wide tires. I'm pretty sure Just Ride is actually a compilation of stuff he had been writing for years before 2012.

I'm not saying he's some kind of genius or messianic figure, just that I think you're full of crap when you dismiss everything he wrote as crap.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 09-22-20, 01:08 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18394 Post(s)
Liked 15,467 Times in 7,308 Posts
Originally Posted by woodcraft
I have toured long miles and share BoraxKid's cringing reaction at the idea of covering any distance on a bike & riding position like that.

Perhaps those people that (I also) don't have a clue about could chime in with their experience while, for example, being 25 miles out from the nearest resupply, in a 15+ mph headwind in late afternoon.

I did, however, consider the idea of doing a tour on a push scooter since the slower you go, the more you see.
I crossed the country with a 76 year old fellow who turned 77 during the trip. He had a bad back and inverted his drop bars so he was practically sitting straight up. When the trip ended he started riding home to the Philadelphia ‘burbs until his wife made him pack it in.

The guy had been in the RCAF and spent two years in a Nazi POW camp during WWII, so maybe that made him extra tough. Or maybe it’s not as bad as you might imagine. My touring position is not an aggressive one, and I travel with relatively large front bags. Just finished a 440 mile tour on Sunday that featured several days of moderate to strong headwinds and a good amount of nasty hills.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 09-22-20, 01:11 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
I don't think anyone was getting "unhinged"

this simple, sanctimonious capitalist
marketing to mooks
the guy's obvious hypocrisy
asinine ad copy
turn trollposting into a career
asinine takes on cycling
overpriced, ugly steel frames fitted with inferior components
pointless ego embrocation
You should totally demand to speak to the manager.
Old 09-22-20, 01:18 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by Germany_chris

No $400 in racks isn't too much if your thing is riding with crap on your bike no matter how much you hem haw and justify a stiff frame and good racks are required if you want to spend more than a day or two on your bike.
Hey! Nothing that goes on my $400+ Riv racks or in my $500+ panniers is “crap.”

Likes For indyfabz:
Old 09-22-20, 01:27 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
I crossed the country with a 76 year old fellow who turned 77 during the trip. He had a bad back and inverted his drop bars so he was practically sitting straight up. When the trip ended he started riding home to the Philadelphia ‘burbs until his wife made him pack it in.

The guy had been in the RCAF and spent two years in a Nazi POW camp during WWII, so maybe that made him extra tough. Or maybe it’s not as bad as you might imagine. My touring position is not an aggressive one, and I travel with relatively large front bags. Just finished a 440 mile tour on Sunday that featured several days of moderate to strong headwinds and a good amount of nasty hills.

Maybe so. At least you and he have drop bars so that brings your hands in, what, a foot?
Old 09-22-20, 01:30 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Not the same thing, but I used to do plenty of long rides on my FX 3 (125-168 miles in a day). I don't find the aero aspect of it makes much difference even at 20 mph, it's more noticeable in limiting the top speeds than it is in wearing me out at normal cruising speeds. I also think it makes up for any fatigue factor in fighting aero forces by being a posture that's slightly easier to maintain and, for me, being a better set up to climb hills. My real reasons for switching to drop bars is because it's a little bit easier on the hands and I really enjoy squeezing out that extra 1-2 mph at the top end of the range on the flats.

Aero generally isn't really that effective against headwinds for the simple reason that they usually are at least slightly perpendicular to the direction your heading--i.e., also a bit of a crosswind. We're streamlined for the air hitting us directly in the face, not the one hitting you in the cheek..
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 09-22-20, 01:33 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Well, so much for the rumor you're growing mushrooms in one of those bags. Heard you needed them for your roadside risotto.
Old 09-22-20, 02:04 PM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, a Karate Monkey, a Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 1,294 Times in 647 Posts

Here's my silly piece of junk with it's dumb racks and one set of panniers

I also think kit is super important to ride your bike so I ride in my SPD SL flip flops
Likes For Germany_chris:
Old 09-22-20, 02:35 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6929 Post(s)
Liked 10,931 Times in 4,668 Posts
My name is not Dunning-Kruger, it's BoraxKid.
That one seems to have gone right over your head.

And yet there's nothing revolutionary about it, even by 1987 standards. Your emperor is naked.
I'm guessing that you were not around, or at least were not riding bikes, in 1987.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 09-22-20, 02:35 PM
BoraxKid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 72 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Aero generally isn't really that effective against headwinds for the simple reason that they usually are at least slightly perpendicular to the direction your heading--i.e., also a bit of a crosswind. We're streamlined for the air hitting us directly in the face, not the one hitting you in the cheek..
This is just nonsense now. Anything that reduces the area you are presenting to the wind helps to reduce drag. That's just basic science. Whether or not you can perceive any advantage is irrelevant, the maths and the power numbers will always prove that there is an advantage to being more aerodynamic. If you want to spend extra effort to go the same speed, go ahead and do your thing, but don't spread mis-information about basic science.
Old 09-22-20, 02:43 PM
Happy Feet

This is just nonsense now. Anything that reduces the area you are presenting to the wind helps to reduce drag. That's just basic science. Whether or not you can perceive any advantage is irrelevant, the maths and the power numbers will always prove that there is an advantage to being more aerodynamic. If you want to spend extra effort to go the same speed, go ahead and do your thing, but don't spread mis-information about basic science.
You should write a book about it.
Likes For Happy Feet:
Old 09-22-20, 02:48 PM
indyfabz

It sounds like that old timer would have had a better trip if he could have gotten into a better position on his bike; he probably could have put up a better fight against the wind. Was he a prisoner or a guard at that camp? Did he sprechen good Deutsch?
He did just fine. And I can see you don’t know what the RCAF is. Not surprised.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 09-22-20, 02:50 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by Germany_chris

Here's my silly piece of junk with it's dumb racks and one set of panniers

I also think kit is super important to ride your bike so I ride in my SPD SL flip flops
Wow! I have a set of Beckman panniers post his split with Bruce. Did we discuss that in Touring? Someone stole my Beckman racks and the bike they were attached to. BTW...Love that paint.

Last edited by indyfabz; 09-22-20 at 02:54 PM.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 09-22-20, 02:52 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

It sounds like that old timer would have had a better trip if he could have gotten into a better position on his bike; he probably could have put up a better fight against the wind. Was he a prisoner or a guard at that camp? Did he sprechen good Deutsch?

That's just sick. You really are flailing.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 09-22-20, 02:57 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

See, this is why you shouldn't keep talking. The point is that streamlining really isn't reducing your exposure your exposure to wind from the side. I get that there might be some small mathematical effect for the portion that's coming from the front but if I can't perceive it, it's because it's too small to matter unless I'm actually racing. I'm still going to cover the same number of miles in roughly the same amount of time. I'm not exactly sweating out the issue of whether it takes a minute or so longer to cover 100 miles.

Headwinds suck, aero or no.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 09-22-20, 02:59 PM
indyfabz

That's just sick. You really are flailing.
IKR. Stu lived to age 91 and had chunks of guys like BK in his stool.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 09-22-20, 02:59 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

He did just fine. And I can see you don’t know what the RCAF is. Not surprised.

He knows, he just thinks it's funny to accuse an old man who suffered being a POW with treason.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 09-22-20, 03:08 PM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1576 Post(s)
Liked 1,181 Times in 601 Posts
IKR. Stu lived to age 91 and had chunks of guys like BK in his stool.
Sounds like quite the fellow, indy. D'you recall what part of this chunk of ice he was from?
Old 09-22-20, 03:19 PM
BoraxKid

if I can't perceive it, it's because it's too small to matter

No, that's not how this works. Whether or not you want to admit it, aerodynamics have application beyond racing, because air resistance is a real thing. Regardless of how you feel in the moment, in a non-aero position, you will exert yourself more than if you were in an aero position on your bike. That might be fine for you, depending on what your goals are, but over time, you will fatigue faster and it will take you significantly longer to reach your destination. A fun ride becomes a tedious chore when you're needlessly plowing into the wind. This is why the club I rode my first brevets with advocated for using drop bars, butterfly bars, or even clip-on aero bars; no one was racing, yet everyone recognized that getting the most return on your expended effort meant getting out of the wind, because air resistance matters at all speeds. Even when the wind is not coming directly from the front, there is still a huge advantage to be gained from presenting a smaller cross section.
Old 09-22-20, 03:21 PM
BoraxKid

He knows, he just thinks it's funny to accuse an old man who suffered being a POW with treason.
I never accused anyone of treason. Please stop telling lies about me.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.