Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Mirrors - Pros and cons?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Mirrors - Pros and cons?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-20, 06:41 PM
August West

Bikes: Domane SLR7 Project One

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 105 Posts
I'm so used to using my Take A Look mirror I'd be totally lost without it. It would be like driving a car without mirrors. In fact I have 2. One mounted to my sunglasses and the other to my non tinted glasses I use for cloudy days. The area I ride in is wide open and I can generally see vehicles coming from a long ways away so it is very seldom I have one sneak up on me. That being said I also run a Varia 510. The two kind of compliment each other for me with the Varia being superior in areas with a lot of curves and hills that don't have long sight lines. And the Take A Look mirrors are dirt cheap which is something not very common in this sport.
Likes For August West:
Old 09-24-20, 06:41 PM
Random11

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Diverge, 2021 Cervelo Caledonia

Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked 378 Times in 197 Posts
Originally Posted by msdumo
Being a 70 yr old senior I find it difficult to turn my head and check for traffic...
I'm also 70 and use a bar end mirror. It works well for me. It also looks like it belongs on the bike, more or less. Vanity getting the better of me, I don't think I could put a big round mirror on my bike, but I'd be very uncomfortable riding the roads I do without the mirror.
Likes For Random11:
Old 09-24-20, 07:19 PM
400E

Bikes: Surly Disc Trucker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 14 Posts
A brand of helmet-mounted mirror I haven't seen discussed is from Monkey Mirrors. That's what I've been using the last couple years. Very tough and stays put.

I wouldn't feel comfortable riding without a mirror. I want to know who's coming up to pass me on the MUP! I get passed a lot.
Old 09-24-20, 07:46 PM
KJK

Bikes: 2022 Trek Domane SLR 7, 2017 Ridley Fenix SL Disc, 1982 Bianchi Super Leggera

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by jack pot
TAKE A LOOK attached to glasses don't leave home without it
What he said!
Likes For KJK:
Old 09-24-20, 08:03 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1138 Post(s)
Liked 1,182 Times in 687 Posts
Originally Posted by Grump215
72 yo starting back again after twenty years and 4 back operations. Found out real quick that I cannot do my racing bars. Installing flat bar tomorrow.
MY POINT- I have seen several riders use a rectangular mirror attached to the backside of their left hand. can't find commercially so I think they're hand made?
Any thoughts????
just found this...maybe it will fit the bill for you.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B088DFKVB9...dDbGljaz10cnVl

-scott
Old 09-24-20, 08:31 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,025 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by timgriffin2
I use a round Mirrycle on my left bar end. I love it and when I switched to a new bike really felt nervous the couple of times I rode the new bike without the mirror. I kept looking for it as I rode. It may look goofy to some but it provides a large view behind me so no surprises.
When I used a mirror this is the one I liked to use it, stopped when I was in college after I passed a really hot looking coed and spent too long looking in the mirror at her ass after passing her; ran into the back of a parked car. Had a couple more similar near misses, I don't look the way I used to so it'd probably be safe now but I'm not taking any chances.
Likes For Russ Roth:
Old 09-25-20, 02:06 AM
hedonist222

Bikes: BMC Roadmachine ONE

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
bar mirror
$5

sits on a cross pivot joint - so can turn it almost 360 degrees

Likes For hedonist222:
Old 09-25-20, 04:12 AM
Danhedonia

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 95 Posts
I have never used a mirror, and am curious to hear from people as to what benefits they get looking behind them? (Not saying I don't turn and look sometimes, I do). I just figure that all I'd get from it is seeing the truck actually hit me, vs. a quick and peaceful end? How does what you see change what you're doing?
Old 09-25-20, 05:04 AM
But its me 

Bikes: A few older US made Cannondales, a modern Soma Saga (no longer made, alas!), and one gifted crabon Specialized. Never enough.

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 39 Posts
Originally Posted by Danhedonia
I have never used a mirror, and am curious to hear from people as to what benefits they get looking behind them? (Not saying I don't turn and look sometimes, I do). I just figure that all I'd get from it is seeing the truck actually hit me, vs. a quick and peaceful end? How does what you see change what you're doing?
In today’s distracted driving environment, I find the mirror helps to give me time for defensive maneuvers. Bit like driving a car and watching the traffic around me for the same behavior. Also useful for those of us that ride at pokey speeds, to see who is passing me on the MUP. Pretty much back to my second line, in that I find a mirror as useful as when I begrudgingly drive the car. Without mirrors in the car, I would not be as safe.

Last edited by But its me; 09-25-20 at 10:10 AM.
Old 09-25-20, 05:15 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4736 Post(s)
Liked 1,532 Times in 1,003 Posts
Left turns?
Old 09-25-20, 05:44 AM
msdumo

Bikes: 96 Raleigh Grand Prix, 2002 Norco Avanti, 2017 Norco Malahat, 2021 VoltBike 750

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Left turns?
You got it. My routine bike ride has 2 left turns across a highway. I would probably be not here without mirrors.
Old 09-25-20, 06:22 AM
ropetwitch

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
Good suggestion!
Old 09-25-20, 06:25 AM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 555 Times in 322 Posts
there are no cons really
Likes For Flip Flop Rider:
Old 09-25-20, 06:36 AM
joesch

Bikes: 83 Colnago Super, 87 50th Daccordi, 79 & 87 Guerciotti's, 90s DB/GT Mtn Bikes, 90s Colnago Master and Titanio, 96 Serotta Colorado TG, 95/05 Colnago C40/C50, 06 DbyLS TI, 08 Lemond Filmore FG SS, 12 Cervelo R3, 20/15 Surly Stragler & Steamroller

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 601 Post(s)
Liked 781 Times in 498 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
+1 Both are very good mirrors and work very well. I use the 3rd Eye. Only gripe is that the clamp to the helmet visor is just OK, but I started making custom brackets for them years ago and now the mount is first class. (And much stronger than the mirror, so when the mirror snags something, it's just new mirror time. Brackets last until I go to a different style helmet and have to make another. I use the 3rd Eye with the screw clamp. Haven't tried any of their others.)

I've bought 2 EVTs, both at the week long Cycle Oregon when I've broken my 3rd Eye. (Last year, we had 4 straight days of rain. Much more than usual came inside the tent. There were a couple of accidents!). Field of view and usability are almost identical between the 3rd Eye and the EVT.

Edit: I;ve had enough bike crashes that I cannot turn my neck fully. I have to twist my upper body to take a look behind. Good mirrors are a huge asset.

Ben
+1 ; One optimization that I add to some helmet attached eye mirrors that have too much vibration is a dampener at the conection so I can get a more clear view.
Old 09-25-20, 06:38 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,678 Times in 827 Posts
Originally Posted by hedonist222
bar mirror
$5

sits on a cross pivot joint - so can turn it almost 360 degrees

I kludge-mounted a mirror in this position on my winter bike which I converted to drop bars last year. I use a take-a-look glasses mounted mirror, but all the bikes get bar mirrors also, and this position is really good. I will look for the one you have.
Old 09-25-20, 06:39 AM
joesch

Bikes: 83 Colnago Super, 87 50th Daccordi, 79 & 87 Guerciotti's, 90s DB/GT Mtn Bikes, 90s Colnago Master and Titanio, 96 Serotta Colorado TG, 95/05 Colnago C40/C50, 06 DbyLS TI, 08 Lemond Filmore FG SS, 12 Cervelo R3, 20/15 Surly Stragler & Steamroller

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 601 Post(s)
Liked 781 Times in 498 Posts
Originally Posted by Flip Flop Rider
there are no cons really
Some think them uncool or for older riders. Safety is better than cool looks! Why dont any racers use them?
Old 09-25-20, 07:08 AM
friday1970

Bikes: Optima Baron LR, '14 Nishiki Maricopa,'87 Trek 330 Elance, '89 Miyata 1400, '85 Peugeot PGN10, '04 Fuji Ace, '06 Giant Rincon, '95 Giant Allegre, '83 Trek 620, '86 Schwinn High Sierra

Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked 163 Times in 107 Posts
I have a "Life On" helmet mounted mirror bought from Amazon.
It's a helmet mounted mirror that uses double sided tape. Well, the tape came unglued on a humid night. However, I use velcro tape to securely mount the mirror to my helmet. No vibrations, and only a slight look to the left to see traffic behind me.
I'm so used to this mirror, I never feel safe without it anymore.
Old 09-25-20, 07:41 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,536 Times in 1,045 Posts
Originally Posted by joesch
Some think them uncool or for older riders. Safety is better than cool looks! Why dont any racers use them?
Probably for the same reason that they do not ride in bike lanes or stay as far right as practicable. Racers are usually not riding in unrestricted traffic with motor vehicles driven by the general public.

Last edited by I-Like-To-Bike; 09-25-20 at 07:56 AM.
Old 09-25-20, 07:49 AM
Rides4Beer

Bikes: SuperSix Evo | Revolt

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 733 Post(s)
Liked 815 Times in 414 Posts
Originally Posted by Rhondito
I have the round mirror attached to my helmet and I like it okay. I don't love it.
The game changer for me though was getting a Garmin Varia tail light with radar. It works with my Garmin bike computer, or you can download an app for it on your smart phone. Alerts you to cars approaching from behind, shows how close they are getting, and shows you how many. It's the single best bike accessory I've ever bought.
+1, best piece of gear I've bought, won't ride without it. The only time I look behind me is to double check when turning left.
Old 09-25-20, 08:04 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Originally Posted by But its me
... the mirror helps to give me time for defensive maneuvers...
This is it in ten words. Especially when riding the fine line between being in the single directional lane of traffic and being in the parked car door zone. The mirror tells me when the risks of drifting left are going up.
Old 09-25-20, 08:29 AM
hedonist222

Bikes: BMC Roadmachine ONE

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
When I hear a car approaching, I'll take a look to make sure they're driving right.

If driving erratically, the mirror affords me enough time to pull them over and punch them - repeatedly.

Originally Posted by BobbyG
I kludge-mounted a mirror in this position on my winter bike which I converted to drop bars last year. I use a take-a-look glasses mounted mirror, but all the bikes get bar mirrors also, and this position is really good. I will look for the one you have.
It's similar to these two

https://www.amazon.com/Zefal-95293-S...1043884&sr=8-8

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0859...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Likes For hedonist222:
Old 09-25-20, 08:37 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4236 Post(s)
Liked 2,949 Times in 1,808 Posts
These are what I use. They stay put pretty well, but, if you take them in and out too much, they tend to loosen up inside the joint and bounce around a lot.
Old 09-25-20, 08:48 AM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 527 Times in 349 Posts
I used to use what is called "Italian Road Bike Mirror". It provided the best non-vibration field of view of all the mirrors I have tried (including helmet and glasses mounted mirrors). It also was never knocked off axis and always stayed in the right place. The only drawback is it's set it based on your position on the bike. There is no pivot. As great as the FOV was, I always looked behind me prior to taking any lanes and/or hearing any vehicles behind me...much like the mirrors in a car...you always look over your shoulder before committing to a maneuver. Having said all of that, I stopped using a mirror because it became redundant. I'm not advocating not using a mirror at all. I'm just giving my perspective on using one and my decision to just look over my shoulder.
Old 09-25-20, 08:48 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,218 Times in 2,365 Posts
Originally Posted by friday1970
I have a "Life On" helmet mounted mirror bought from Amazon.
It's a helmet mounted mirror that uses double sided tape. Well, the tape came unglued on a humid night. However, I use velcro tape to securely mount the mirror to my helmet. No vibrations, and only a slight look to the left to see traffic behind me.
I'm so used to this mirror, I never feel safe without it anymore.
3M Double sided molding tape. It sticks on for years in every condition I’ve ever thrown at it including subzero temperatures, 105°F heat, and torrential downpours. I don’t have to deal with humidity that often but I have ridden in humid conditions and it’s still stuck in place.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 09-25-20, 08:58 AM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
It allows me to more easily and accurately monitor overtaking traffic so I can ride in what I feel is a safer manner.

I like to default to a position in the lane. Cleaner pavement, better sight lines. If someone approaches from behind, and it is safe and reasonable to share the lane, I can then drift right. If it is not safe to share the lane for any of a multitude of reasons, I'm already in it! No need to negotiate a merge or encourage a squeeze. I just hold my line and continue to monitor and verify that the driver is taking me into account... without having to continuously turn my head and look away from my direction of travel.

I'd rather not be surprised by unsafe overtaking, and frankly cannot remember a time that it has happened to me.

Also, left turns and lane changes are much easier to plan and facilitate with a mirror.

By monitoring behind in real time in the manner that only use of a proper mirror allows, I can also mitigate dangerous situations by adjusting my speed and position prior to any possible conflict situations, making things easier and safer for everyone.

No matter how one prefers to ride, I’d say it’s still going to be safer having this “driver verification” information available to you at split second notice.
Likes For AlmostTrick:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.