Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Bicycle Touring Pro Darren Alff-- MIA ?

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Old 09-24-20, 06:48 PM
2zweelabout

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Haven't seen any recent posts by him on his site.
Old 09-24-20, 07:27 PM
headwind15
Bikeable

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 73 Posts
Did you try to contact / email him?
Old 09-25-20, 06:24 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 744 Times in 554 Posts
I had never heard of him, but did a quick google search and see that he is still active on facebook or at least has posted there recently. https://www.facebook.com/darrenalff

Maybe his business site is slow/on hold due to the pandemic? Not too many folks are actively touring so I'd think business would be pretty slow.

Last edited by staehpj1; 09-25-20 at 06:27 AM.
Old 09-25-20, 06:49 AM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3185 Post(s)
Liked 2,020 Times in 1,158 Posts
Most of his tours were in Europe, where he has not been able to travel, so that puts a crimp on content. As well, I suspect as others have stated, that the CV crisis has him scaling back even his US based tours. He was as well in almost burn-out mode. I saw a video he did last year of the south of France into Spain where he announced he was stopping his video recording as he was just too tired to keep logging every day, he just wanted to bike.
Old 09-25-20, 11:37 AM
Nyah
QR-disc must die!!!

Bikes: '99 Trek 520, '20 Kona Sutra (FOR SALE 48cm), '21 Simon-Bikes mini-velo and a chromoly-framed folding bicycle with drop-bars and V-brakes, that rolls even while folded.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 147 Posts
People are now getting paid to bicycle tour? Where do I sign up?
Old 09-25-20, 12:50 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3426 Post(s)
Liked 1,441 Times in 1,122 Posts
Originally Posted by Nyah
Youtube.
https://www.youtube.com/user/bicycletouringpro
Old 09-25-20, 01:19 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Originally Posted by Nyah
He started touring roughly 15 years ago, maybe earlier. Started video recording maybe 5 years or so ?, posted on YT, developed a following, makes some money from that I assume, gets gear from companies to try and review, seems to get comped at hotels and the like, does some supported tours and provides a good video, so I'd bet that gets at least partly comped as well. Figured out a while back how to travel cheap, but he's doing something right as he's got 2 very expensive Co-Motion touring bikes. Sells books and how-to videos as well. I don't begrudge him anything, as his videos have been terrific to watch.
Likes For Steve B.:
Old 10-11-20, 12:01 AM
jlmonte

Bikes: Colnago Brain, Master Bi-Titanio, Vitus 979, Specialized Roubaix, Salsa Marrakesh, and a couple of Treks

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve B.
He started touring roughly 15 years ago, maybe earlier. Started video recording maybe 5 years or so ?, posted on YT, developed a following, makes some money from that I assume, gets gear from companies to try and review, seems to get comped at hotels and the like, does some supported tours and provides a good video, so I'd bet that gets at least partly comped as well. Figured out a while back how to travel cheap, but he's doing something right as he's got 2 very expensive Co-Motion touring bikes. Sells books and how-to videos as well. I don't begrudge him anything, as his videos have been terrific to watch.
I discovered The Bicycle Touring Pro while researching for my touring bike. I might add that after watching his early videos, I discovered Mr. Alf grew up in California, near me. Again from his videos, he went to film school. Afterwards, he was smart enough to guy a simple condo in a Utah resort area that created passive income and paid for itself while he traveled the world. He published a couple books, and used early Facebook Live to record training sessions with followers. He conducted a live discussion with Co-Motion bikes that was recorded and on YouTube. I believe he is a Cancer Survivor.

As a 20 something, he is down to earth with a Huell Howser quality about him. I am guessing that he is getting into bike packing, along with his year old stealth van. I surmise since travel advocacy is currently down, he is working on improving production quality for his future projects. Just a guess. He is quite an entrepreneur, and collaborator. I noticed he started using a drone to highlight a hotel, and traveled with a music composer to cross promote. When many young adults were struggling to find a job, he demonstrates creativity and resilience while in economic difficult times.
Old 10-11-20, 04:00 PM
PedalingWalrus

Bikes: Corvid Sojourner, Surly Ice Cream Truck, Co-Motion Divide, Co-Motion Java Tandem, Salsa Warbird, Salsa Beargrease, Carver Tandem

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked 435 Times in 227 Posts
I followed him. I am not in the know but my take is:

1. Burnt out - nothing wrong with it as long as you regroup and move on

2. May have fallen in love and reevaluated his direction
Old 10-11-20, 05:07 PM
Steve B.

Originally Posted by PedalingWalrus
I followed him. I am not in the know but my take is:

1. Burnt out - nothing wrong with it as long as you regroup and move on

2. May have fallen in love and reevaluated his direction
He did have some burn out issues on one of his last tours, this one thru southern France into Spain. He announced one day he was stopping his video of the tour and was just going to complete the ride to Barcelona, admitting he needed a break from his job, essentially. I commented on his YT channel that well, yes, he was burned out and needed a vacation. He would video every tour, multiple cameras and a drone at times and it was just hours each day. Then he needed to pause some days to charge the gear up. Then put into a town for a period to edit. It was a job, not a bike vacation and I think he finally came to realize he hadn’t actually had a bike vacation, probably in a decade and needed one.

I fully agree with jlmonte’s post, though I think Darren in now in his early 30’s. I admire his resiliency and perseverance, though sometimes question why he rarely wears tights or leg warmers in very cold conditions. As well he does not use padded shorts as far as I can tell, so has a remarkably tough and conditioned butt !. Power to you Darren, if you read this.
Likes For Steve B.: