Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Chain slipping from chainring after conversion to apex 1x11

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 09-26-20, 11:06 AM
nioann

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello everyone,
I have a cboardman hybrid pro. The bike was originally set up with a 10 speed 11-28 cassette and two chainrings 50/34 at the front. These were very worn after many years of use, so I decided to convert the bike to 1x11 drivetrain. I got a mechanic to swap the cassette, shifter and rear derailleur with the SRAM apex 1 and the two front chainrings with a single 46T FSA Pro combat chainring, that is compatible with my current five bolt crankset. I also used the 114 links chain that is used for the SRAM apex 1. Note that the full apex 1 drivetrain has a 44T front chainring. The new single chainring has been positioned where the old small chainring was, with spacers. The tension on the chain seems fine to me and the mechanic.

The problem is that now the chain slips off the front chainring when the torque is high, e.g. corners or staring on a high gear. Reinstalling the front derailleur didn't help at all. Also the chainring has scratches and broken teeth after 45 mins of riding in the city, which doesn't seem right to me.

The mechanic is trying to be helpful but seems a bit puzzled, so I'd be very helpful of any help on what should we try.

Thanks!
Old 09-26-20, 11:31 AM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,269 Times in 1,439 Posts
Originally Posted by nioann
The new single chainring has been positioned where the old small chainring was, with spacers.
The problem is that now the chain slips off the front chainring when the torque is high, e.g. corners or staring on a high gear.
Also the chainring has scratches and broken teeth after 45 mins of riding in the city, which doesn't seem right to me.
At first blush, this sounds like a chainline problem, which is not uncommon when going from a double to a single. This article might help.

Last edited by Rolla; 09-26-20 at 11:35 AM.
Old 09-26-20, 01:36 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Get yourself a narrow-wide chainring. If you have a 46T FSA Pro Road chainring (as the internet cannot locate a Pro combat chainring) then it's pinned and ramped for shifting-- which is basically the worst option. USAMade can have you sorted on the cheap. Plenty of other options if you want to spend more.
Old 09-26-20, 03:17 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
Get yourself a narrow-wide chainring. If you have a 46T FSA Pro Road chainring (as the internet cannot locate a Pro combat chainring) then it's pinned and ramped for shifting-- which is basically the worst option. USAMade can have you sorted on the cheap. Plenty of other options if you want to spend more.
The ramps are probably what appear to be broken teeth.
Likes For dsbrantjr:
Old 09-26-20, 06:43 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6882 Post(s)
Liked 10,873 Times in 4,637 Posts
Along with a new chainring, you may also want to get a new mechanic.
Old 09-27-20, 12:34 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Good lord, I skimmed right over the part where a mechanic had looked at this. Yikes.
Old 09-27-20, 12:45 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,732 Times in 3,262 Posts
Where does the plane of the front ring hit the cassette? If you have your bike in a stand you can just turn your front wheel to look through the spokes and sight across the chainwheel to the cassette. Should be about the middle of the stack, maybe one cog either way at most.

And a couple other questions........
  • Which side is it falling off?
  • You aren't shifting gears while in those high torque situations where the chain falls off are you?
Likes For Iride01:
Old 09-27-20, 01:47 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1726 Post(s)
Liked 1,350 Times in 705 Posts
Drisotope has it right. You need a narrow wide ring. To be on the safe side add a chain guide. Done this conversion a few times at the shop and it works well with the narrow wide and chain guide.
Old 10-19-20, 06:34 PM
nioann

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you for all the pointers!

Sorry for the late reply, I was out of London so couldn't check the bike.

If anyone knows a good mechanic in London I'd be grateful for the recommendation.

I don't have a stand, but as far as I can tell, the chainring is not far off from the middle of the cassette. The mechanic said it's placed where the old small chainring was placed.

I went for a ride yesterday, and unfortunately in addition to the chain falling off at high gears, it also doesn't change to the two lowest gears while climbing.

The chain always falls outwards, towards the pedal.

Is it possible that both the gears not changing the chain falling off caused by a short chain? I have a 114 sram apex chain that is meant for a 44T chain ring, while the one I have is 46T.

I'll definitely try the chainring suggested, if anything else can't help.

Thanks again for all the help!
Old 10-20-20, 11:59 AM
dsaul

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 712 Post(s)
Liked 793 Times in 471 Posts
This is a single narrow/wide chainring installed on an Apex double crankset. It is installed in the outer position with the proper chainring bolts for a single chainring. The 1x11 drivetrain shifts perfectly and the chain never comes off the chainring. Installing the ring in the inner position is wrong and adding spacers makes it worse, so I'm not surprised that your chain falls off to the outside. Your shifting problem is most likely the result of a poorly adjusted rear derailleur.

Likes For dsaul: