Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Still a bike shortage when buying at the LBS ?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Still a bike shortage when buying at the LBS ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-20, 08:59 AM
xroadcharlie

Bikes: 2018 Giant Sedona

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 95 Posts
The subject of bike availability was on the local news today here in Windsor Ontario. One of the popular bike shops they visited had only 2 bikes left. A Fatbike and an expensive single speed road bike. The local Canadian Tire however is getting regular shipments and are busy building bikes about 2 days per week. The last time I went they had a couple dozen different style decent bikes out and building more in the shop. When I asked the salesperson she said if you want one, You better buy it now because they won't last long.

Canadian tire is a Canadian big box/hardware store. I've bought 2 bikes from them in the past. They seemed to be OK for the most part. The chrome plated heavy steel rims on my mountain bike however would not allow the bike to stop if they got wet. There probably better then the some cheap ones on Amazon. They more kids bikes too.
Old 09-08-20, 09:36 AM
feejer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
I recently put an order in at a local Trek dealer for a Verve 2 for the wife and a 920 frameset for me. Neither will be available until Jan or Feb. We knew nothing about the bike shortage. So I decided to rebuild her old 90's hybrid just to have something different for her to ride this year, and that's where I got to learn about the massive parts shortage as well. This is one tough year for bikes! We ordered her a S and M size Verve, and they will refund one or both depending on if she likes either one, since they know they could turn around and sell them that same day if they wanted to. My 920 frameset is non refundable, but that's not a big deal since I know that's the bike I want to build. So next year we'll have some new bikes, at least that's something to look forward to and possibly build over the winter months.

Last edited by feejer; 09-08-20 at 09:40 AM.
Old 09-08-20, 09:51 AM
Charliekeet

Bikes: S-Works Stumpjumper HT Disc, Fuji Absolute, Kona Jake the Snake, '85 Cannondale SR900

Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked 217 Times in 142 Posts
Originally Posted by grayEZrider
So there is a silver lining to having N+1 disease! But I'm also lucky, having jumped the gun early for my upcoming 70th birthday by months and got my new Canyon Endurace just before this mess.
Yup, I’ve been feeling good about having extra parts and rideable bikes on hand lately! My kid’s MTB head tube cracked and I was like no prob, we’ve got this other one you can ride for now. Would’ve been out of luck for remainder of the summer.

My younger guy moved up to a 24-inch and I cannot tell you long it took me to locate and purchase even a quality secondhand one of those. Hours of driving too.

Congrats on the Canyon! I’m envious
Old 09-08-20, 09:52 AM
davei1980
Very Slow Rider

Bikes: Jones Plus LWB, 1983 Centurion Japanese CrMo bike

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 101 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Why not just buy online? I get the idea that you want to support local business, but when the local business literally cant fulfull your order, it seems quite reasonable to buy elsewhere. Shimano hydraulic brakes in road and mtb are available across the internet.
That is a really good point. This was back in May and, at that time, Shimano was only supplyng certain parts to manufacturers. You couldn't get the brakes I wanted, not online, not anywhere.

Things have loosened up now, you're right, and I could go back and order them, if I wanted. Also, my LBS made me a great deal on a different set, and I feel like they should be able to capitalize on this temporary situation and I feel bad they have limited capacity to stretch to meet peak demand, so when they offer creative solutions instead of stonewalling me, then I'll go there.
Old 09-08-20, 10:43 AM
prime winner

Bikes: Trek Verve 2

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by prime winner
I'm looking to buy a new hybrid and was wondering what to expect when I start looking around the area bike shops. Are new bikes still slim pickings at the LBS? I know I can find out easily by calling them after the holiday, and I will, just would like to know what's going on in other areas before I commit to any kind of time frame. I read in another thread that someone ordered a bike and the scheduled delivery was something like April 2021.

If it matters, I'm hoping to get a Trek FX 3.
So I went to the bike shop on my lunch break a little while ago and they had several FX 2's in stock (none in my size of Large), but they did not have any FX 3's. The guy checked how long it would take to get one if ordered and the info showed him a date in mid-late April. Luckily he said they had a FX 3 Large scheduled to come in around mid October and I was able to put a deposit on it. Thats not bad considering some dates I've read about.
Old 09-08-20, 11:38 AM
timgriffin2

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Sirrus 3.0

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 32 Posts
I recently picked up a new Sirrus 3.0 from a local Specialized dealer. They can't keep bikes in stock and sell them as soon as they hit the floor if not before they're built yet. I was shocked to see so many $5k+ e-Bikes being sold. It seemed to be mostly middle aged couples buying the e-Bikes in pairs.
Old 09-08-20, 12:58 PM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Originally Posted by jay4usc
I would wait too for the used market. Once the gyms open up again the used market should start to get busy
Yeah, there will likely be a bike glut for a while, and then good, slightly used bikes at decent prices for some time as people finally get fed up with those unused bikes taking up space in their garages.
Old 09-08-20, 05:31 PM
Erzulis Boat 
Le Crocodile

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Liked 787 Times in 311 Posts
One of the LBS in Santa Barbara, California, claims to be back ordered by 2000 bicycles. I had the employee repeat the figure. Yep, 2000. I don't believe it, even though she had no reason to lie.
Old 09-08-20, 07:27 PM
bgraham111

Bikes: 1996 Specialized Hardrock Sport FS, 2011 Fuji Newest 1.0, 2015 GRC-Single Gecko, 2016 Waterford RS-22

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd like to add a touring bike the to stable. A LHT or maybe a Salsa Marrakesh. I'll be waiting a while it seems...
Old 09-08-20, 09:19 PM
MyRedTrek

Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 27 Posts
I hadn't heard about this since I hadn't been in the market for another bike but called a couple of places and they confirmed they had issues getting bikes. But why is this shortage not impacting Boxmart-level bikes? At least around here they seem to have plenty. Why wouldn't they be affected by the same issues as more upscale bikes?
Old 09-09-20, 06:45 AM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 588 Posts
Originally Posted by MyRedTrek
I hadn't heard about this since I hadn't been in the market for another bike but called a couple of places and they confirmed they had issues getting bikes. But why is this shortage not impacting Boxmart-level bikes? At least around here they seem to have plenty. Why wouldn't they be affected by the same issues as more upscale bikes?

It is, for the most part. Your area might be some sort of exception; many people here have reported seeing empty racks at Walmart with the exception of stuff like tiny pink kid's bikes.
Likes For Reflector Guy:
Old 09-09-20, 07:55 AM
MyRedTrek

Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by Reflector Guy
It is, for the most part. Your area might be some sort of exception; many people here have reported seeing empty racks at Walmart with the exception of stuff like tiny pink kid's bikes.
Interesting. I asked a Facebook friend who's into triathlons and riding events - she says while most of their races have been cancelled due to covid her circle of biking buddies haven't had problems getting bikes. She's in south Florida.
Old 10-01-20, 03:59 PM
GreatDane84

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Looked for a Trek Domane SL6 at my LBS. Was told it it was a 6 month wait. Found multiple bikes at the Trek corporate bike shops in Manhattan. Had my new bike in less than a week and love it.
Old 10-01-20, 04:24 PM
jay4usc
Live Healthy

Bikes: Wabi Classic

Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by MyRedTrek
I live in SoCal with multiple bike shops in each city and all the shops were empty. The only bikes I saw on the racks were in for repairs. Most have restocked since September. Back in August I couldnt find any 700x28 60mm presta tubes locally and had a difficult time looking for them online. Backcountry and Biketiresdirect were the only online stores that had them in stocked.
Old 10-01-20, 06:18 PM
Milton Keynes

Local Walmart had plenty of bikes for a while, I never really paid much attention to them. Then one day the racks were completely empty. I thought maybe it had something to do with the shortage, but they're just rearranging the entire store.
Old 10-01-20, 06:47 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,971 Times in 1,918 Posts
They were just reshaping the objects
Old 10-01-20, 06:58 PM
August West

Bikes: Domane SLR7 Project One

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 105 Posts
LBS mgr says they have 400 bikes on backorder and what comes in is just a trickle. Said he talked to Salsa recently and they said "you know the bikes that were originally scheduled to arrive in Apr 2021? Well, think Aug 2021 now."

I have a deposit on a mtn bike that I'm hoping for early 2021 but wasn't positive on the size. The mgr called last week and said they had higher end CF model arrive in the same size and I could come in a give a ride to check size. Said he'd give a little better deal on it if I wanted it instead of the one I have on order. In the the 1.5 hours it took me to get ready and drive down there, somebody walked in off the street, saw it and paid MSRP for it. I did get to give it a ride to check size but sucks because I would have bought it. The demographic of the small town I live in doesn't normally lean toward $4300 mtn bikes and I can't believe it moved in under 2 hours but shows where the market currently is.
Old 10-01-20, 07:54 PM
ramzilla

Bikes: Vintage Japanese Bicycles, Tange, Ishiwata, Kuwahara

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 700 Post(s)
Liked 322 Times in 252 Posts
Used bike prices are also very high and, most of the stuff being advertised is low quality stuff.
Likes For ramzilla:
Old 10-01-20, 10:59 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2581 Post(s)
Liked 5,639 Times in 2,921 Posts
All the LBS which carried Bianchis did not have the model I wanted and that’s not even taking size into account. So I had to resort to the interweb and after extensive searching found the last one in my size in the U.S. and had it shipped cross country. The shortage is very real just like its cause.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 10-02-20, 02:19 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 3,114 Times in 1,683 Posts
lbs a block away just got a bleep ton of fuji bikes dropped off last week. not sure if anything else dropped (they carry bianchi and cannondale as well) since but shop went from no prospects to
how you doin'? in the span of a week.
Likes For diphthong:
Old 10-02-20, 08:00 AM
billyymc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 125 Times in 58 Posts
Been in two LBS in the past week, both were nearly bare of bikes. One of them sells new and used, and pretty much only had a few BMX bikes left.

Last week I ordered an Ibis mountain bike from JensonUSA - projected delivery is March / April of 2021.
Old 10-02-20, 08:41 AM
billridesbikes

Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 418 Times in 250 Posts
Was in my LBS for a tube and light wheel true last Friday. She said she had gotten 10 new bikes in on Monday and already sold five, so sales still seem pretty brisk. But it wasn’t as bare as May/June when there where only a few high end $6K Electric Cargo bikes left.

I’ve seen some folks here say, ‘Next year there will be many lightly used bikes for sale’. But that isn’t clear to me. The virus will still be surging this winter and into the spring, the US death toll nearing 500,000 by end of 2021. If there is a vaccine later this year most won’t be able to get it until summer or fall ‘21. I don’t see people rushing back to crowded subways or buses or buying extensive gym memberships. Businesses are beginning to go bankrupt at a fast rate as federal assistance ends, job furloughs are becoming permanent and number of people 30 days or more behind on their mortgage is at a record high, unemployment will probably remain very high for the next couple years. That humble bicycle purchased in ‘20 might be looking like a good investment in ‘21.
Old 10-02-20, 08:58 AM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 588 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
All the LBS which carried Bianchis did not have the model I wanted and that’s not even taking size into account. So I had to resort to the interweb and after extensive searching found the last one in my size in the U.S. and had it shipped cross country. The shortage is very real just like its cause.
I have a Bianchi on order and am hoping for November.... Will be interesting to see if that sticks or gets pushed back. Just in time for winter I suppose! Interestingly, though, they have already charged my credit card.

It is interesting how some bike stores keep their websites up to date with quantity on hand (all brands, not specifically Bianchi). A certain model will be listed as "in stock", but its only available on one size, like 48cm or 61 cm. Really big or small. The more-common "normal height" sizes are still out of stock.
Old 10-02-20, 02:23 PM
Ogsarg

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 643 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 551 Posts
Originally Posted by prime winner
, just would like to know what's going on in other areas before I commit to any kind of time frame..
How does bike availability in other areas impact your decision to commit? If you're looking to buy from a local store, it only makes sense to find out from them what the situation is.
Old 10-02-20, 03:15 PM
Milton Keynes

Originally Posted by ramzilla
Used bike prices are also very high and, most of the stuff being advertised is low quality stuff.
Yeah, I've been seeing Walmart Roadmaster bikes being offered on the local bicycle buy/sell/trade group for around $125. I think that's about what they cost new.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.