Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Vintage MTB To Upright Bar / Urban Bike Conversions

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Vintage MTB To Upright Bar / Urban Bike Conversions

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-20, 04:08 PM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 614 Post(s)
Liked 565 Times in 429 Posts
Originally Posted by bOsscO
Great work Clyde! Other than the giant steerer (strictly my opinion and I understand why you want/need it) she's a beaut.
I know what you mean.

Yeah, I hate the concept. Clearly, given my body proportions, a custom frame with a taller head tube and appropriately sized TT/ST for standover is really what's needed.

But, for a factory frame of the "old school" type MTB format, this one's pretty close, once the steer+stem+bars changes were made.

Last edited by Clyde1820; 09-25-20 at 04:16 PM.
Old 10-01-20, 11:32 AM
bOsscO
bOsscO

Bikes: 2024 Spec Crux, 2015 Norco Search S1, 93 Mongoose IBOC COMP

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked 355 Times in 212 Posts
I got my LBS to press the new headset (Cane Creek 40) in to the headtube, install the fork/spacers and stem. Picked it up yesterday as I was in the area and brought it home.
Good timing as I'm just about finished cleaning up the old drivetrain. I wanted to check it's general stance so I installed the seatpost and saddle, handlebars, and original wheels (please ignore the 1.5" slicks...they're what came mounted when I got this bike).

Loooooong headtub ate up almost all of the uncut fork steerer.

What do you think; looks ok so far?
Likes For bOsscO:
Old 10-01-20, 11:51 AM
DQRider 
Old Boy

Bikes: Mostly 1st-generation, top-of-the-line, non-unicrown MTBs/ATBs: All 1984 models: Dawes Ranger, Peugeot Canyon Express, Ross Mt. Whitney (chrome), Schwinn High Sierra, and a 1983 Trek 850.

Mentioned: 134 Post(s)
Quoted: 984 Post(s)
Liked 1,715 Times in 611 Posts
I got my LBS to press the new headset (Cane Creek 40) in to the headtube, install the fork/spacers and stem. Picked it up yesterday as I was in the area and brought it home.
Good timing as I'm just about finished cleaning up the old drivetrain. I wanted to check it's general stance so I installed the seatpost and saddle, handlebars, and original wheels (please ignore the 1.5" slicks...they're what came mounted when I got this bike).
Loooooong headtub ate up almost all of the uncut fork steerer.
What do you think; looks ok so far?
Very nice, comfy geometry. I imagine it's pretty light as well. I hope your LBS didn't charge you much for pressing that headset in. You know you can make your own headset press for very little money? Mine at home looks like this:

... except I'm using all large fender washers instead of the ball-bearing thingy that this one uses. I've built over twenty bikes with it and it still works like a charm every time.

Roulez pour la joie, jamais pour la douleur.

USMC 1981-1991 Semper Fi!
Likes For DQRider:
Old 10-01-20, 01:07 PM
bOsscO
bOsscO

Originally Posted by DQRider
Very nice, comfy geometry. I imagine it's pretty light as well. I hope your LBS didn't charge you much for pressing that headset in. You know you can make your own headset press for very little money? Mine at home looks like this except I'm using all large fender washers instead of the ball-bearing thingy that this one uses. I've built over twenty bikes with it and it still works like a charm every time.

Thanks; comfy is the plan for this bike. Will admit a few of your builds helped inspire me on this one. That Dawes
Although the aluminum frame and original wheels are light, I don't think much else will be. Hoping for final build to be sub-15kg.
Headset installation was free with purchase of headset as they had to order it in. This shop is also a sponsor of our local road club (of which I'm a member) so we get pretty good discounts on both labour and materials. No complaints from me.
Old 10-01-20, 02:10 PM
romperrr 
Pedal to the medal

Bikes: 1991 Team Miyata Track, 1992 Lemond Alpe d'Huez, 19?? Schwinn High Serra, 1982 Trek 614, 198X Raleigh Alyeska

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked 200 Times in 129 Posts
Very nice, comfy geometry. I imagine it's pretty light as well. I hope your LBS didn't charge you much for pressing that headset in. You know you can make your own headset press for very little money?
I too have made a DIY headset press similar to yours. Works great! One thing I'm wondering though, and perhaps you could advise, is how to press the crown race into a fork?

Many thanks!
Old 10-01-20, 03:32 PM
bOsscO
bOsscO

Originally Posted by romperrr
I too have made a DIY headset press similar to yours. Works great! One thing I'm wondering though, and perhaps you could advise, is how to press the crown race into a fork?
Think you use a BFH no?

Old 10-01-20, 03:46 PM
2cam16

Bikes: TRIMMED DOWN THE HERD

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1091 Post(s)
Liked 936 Times in 601 Posts
Originally Posted by romperrr

Many thanks!
PVC pipe of the correct size and hammer it down.
Old 10-02-20, 05:58 AM
J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Brompton

Quoted: 1385 Post(s)
Liked 677 Times in 457 Posts
Originally Posted by Clyde1820
Not quite done, yet, and there are the derailleur/shifter parts to get ordered once they're available, but ...

Here are a few photos of the bike, so far.

Will likely need to lop off an inch of the seatpost, as it's currently bottomed-out yet is too tall for me. Will need to order a PitLock seatpost collar to fit this seat tube (which I'd incorrectly measured; my bad). Will be ordering cable hangers front and rear (would like the Paul Funkey Monkey, but we'll see). And, still waiting for QBP to report to the shops that they've got the MicroShift front and rear derailleurs available for ordering. Possibly, to eventually have rain fenders; haven't decided yet.

Intended as my daily rider, around town and for longer (for me, <30mi) rides.

Photos of the bike, as of today. Wish the cranks, seatpost, saddle's frame, and fork could have been available in silver, but that was not to be. Otherwise, I like how it's turning out so far.

^ 1996 Trek 970 ZX frame, OXIII triple-butted steel. Will ultimately have MicroShift FD-M622-B 2x11spd front derailleur, MicroShift RD-M665L rear derailleur, MicroShift CS-H113 11-46T cassette, and MicroShift SL-M11 2x11 "thumbies" shifters. Brakes are the original Shimano Deore LX front and rear, with LX levers. Frame completely taken down, degreased, scrubbed and waxed.

^ Uncut steerer tube and unbranded riser bars, FSA Orbit MX headset, Shimano Deore brake levers, and (currently) the old 3x8spd "thumbies" shifters. Currently retaining the original System2 stem, but that might change depending on riding position adjustments.

^ Chris King "ThreadFit" bottom bracket, with Shimano Deore XT M8000 2x11spd crank in 34/24T and 165mm arms.

^ Kinekt seat post with Brooks B67 Aged saddle.

^ Surly Troll fork, with uncut steerer. (Likely to remain uncut, given the riding position and my tall torso.)

^ Custom wheelset -- Built up by John at R&E Cycles in Seattle, WA. Velocity CliffHanger 26 rims, polished, with DT Swiss Champion 14g spokes, DT Swiss brass nipples, White Industries MI5 hubs, and ReneHerse Rat Trap Pass 26x2.3in tires. Engraved, inside the rims, by the R&E builder. Dang, but these are beautiful in person.

^ White Industries MI5 9x100mm front hub, with PitLock security skewer.

^ White Industries MI5 10x135mm rear hub, with PitLock security skewer. Shimano 11sp carrier.
Clyde, I wanted to take the opportunity to cheer you on for this build. Such an excellent selection of components! I will however mirror other's sentiments about the outrageously-long steerer tube. I'm sure that functionality of that setup might be fine, but leaving it oversized like that ruins the overall aesthetic of the bike. I'd like to make a suggestion. Perhaps a pair of these would balance it out:
https://www.danscomp.com/sunday-nigh...xoCPg8QAvD_BwE

I also wanted to add this link: https://www.pinkbike.com/forum/listc...hreadid=170526 , which discusses a lot of custom options.

Last edited by J.Higgins; 10-02-20 at 06:03 AM.
Old 10-02-20, 06:43 AM
DQRider 
Old Boy

Bikes: Mostly 1st-generation, top-of-the-line, non-unicrown MTBs/ATBs: All 1984 models: Dawes Ranger, Peugeot Canyon Express, Ross Mt. Whitney (chrome), Schwinn High Sierra, and a 1983 Trek 850.

Originally Posted by 2cam16
PVC pipe of the correct size and hammer it down.
Yeah, what he said...
I have a short length of 2x4" wood that I've carved out for the purpose. Put that in a bench vice, set the crown of the fork on top of that, and then seat the race with PVC pipe (put a cap on the impact end) and a mallet. I learned all this stuff from YouTube.

Likes For DQRider:
Old 10-02-20, 07:12 AM
robertj298 

Bikes: 1983 Univega Super Strada, 1986 Panasonic DX5000, 1984 Fuji Team 85 Univega Gran Turismo, 1984 Lotus Unique, 1987 Centurion Expert, 1987 Centurion Ironman Master,

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 677 Post(s)
Liked 459 Times in 182 Posts
Interested in a winter project of converting this old Valley Runner I picked up for $60. The frame is
in great shape so other than new tires , cables and bearings serviced what would you recommend
that I do to it?
Likes For robertj298:
Old 10-02-20, 08:09 AM
DQRider 
Old Boy

Originally Posted by robertj298
Interested in a winter project of converting this old Valley Runner I picked up for $60. The frame is
in great shape so other than new tires , cables and bearings serviced what would you recommend
that I do to it?
Wow. Miyata made every bike in its range just that little bit more special than the competition. The Valley Runner was a low/middle tier bike, but the frame was still triple-butted Chrome-Moly. The Ridge Runner is on my grail list.

What to do with it depends on how you want to use it, of course. It would make a first-class city bike just the way it is now. Maybe some nice slicks, or Schwalbe Table Tops like I have on the Dawes. Keep us posted on your project.

Old 10-02-20, 10:05 AM
capnjonny 

Bikes: Miyata 610(66cm), GT Vantara Hybrid (64cm), Nishiki International (64cm), Peugeot rat rod (62 cm), Trek 800 Burning Man helicopter bike, Bob Jackson frame (to be restored?) plus a never ending stream of neglected waifs from the Bike exchange.

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked 632 Times in 229 Posts
In my opinion , one of the great early mtn bikes. I built one up earlier this year for the Bike Exchange and it sold immediately. butted, lugged frame, forged dropouts and fork ends, This bike has everything going for it.

I just did an MB6 and changed the canti brakes for linear pull. It was an easy swap that you might consider. Unless you plan on mostly off road, I would put some street tires on it. At the shop we use cheap Kenda 1.75's but if you want to splurge, try some Fat Franks. They are the bomb.
Old 10-02-20, 03:35 PM
Clyde1820

Originally Posted by J.Higgins
Clyde, I wanted to take the opportunity to cheer you on for this build. Such an excellent selection of components! I will however mirror other's sentiments about the outrageously-long steerer tube. I'm sure that functionality of that setup might be fine, but leaving it oversized like that ruins the overall aesthetic of the bike.
I wouldn't say it's ruination, but yes it's not my first choice to have a smaller frame but stem/bars with large rise and pull-back. But, short of a frame with custom geometry, I've never had a frame fit me well for a relatively upright riding position. And so, given my short legs and upright position, a lower ST and TT is necessary, and sufficient stack and pull-back on the reach is required to get hands in the correct position. Yes, better would be a taller HT. But other than that, the option is: stem and bars with sufficient rise and pull-back to suit. This combination works.

I will be toying with the positioning, and so very likely I'll be changing the stem and going with bars with higher rise. These current bars have a 9" pull-back, though, and that's needed. Aren't a lot of bars out there with sufficient pull-back that have greater rise. I've considered some in the "motorcycle" category, and I'll be reviewing once I get it all put together and can begin evaluating how it all feels. (Several choices of various levels of rise, over at JPcycles.com.) Possibly it'll result in a bar with as great pull-back (or greater), but one with more rise. Very likely, then, it'll involve ultimately knocking off a couple inches of the steerer tube, once everything's in the proper position. We'll see.

I'll do a custom-geometry frame at some point. On a different build.

Last edited by Clyde1820; 10-02-20 at 03:44 PM.
Likes For Clyde1820:
Old 10-03-20, 04:09 PM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3807 Post(s)
Liked 6,676 Times in 2,607 Posts
Got this one finished enough for a test ride: no-name rigid MTB, Albatross bars, Shimano 8-speed bar-ends running friction mode, Sugino AT crankset set up as a compact double, Shimano v-brakes. It'll be my winter commuter, so those 1.5" Kenda tires will be replaced with a fat knobby on the rear and a fat studded tire on the front, plus fenders.

Likes For nlerner:
Old 10-05-20, 08:44 AM
vp1337

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 33 Posts
Townie bike for my better half:

More pics: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143910537@N03/albums/72157716179981631
​​​​​​​
Old 10-05-20, 09:54 AM
bOsscO
bOsscO

Originally Posted by vp1337
Matchy-matchy fenders are lovely.
Likes For bOsscO:
Old 10-05-20, 10:21 AM
Clyde1820

vp1337 , well that bike's downright beautiful. Nicely done.
Likes For Clyde1820:
Old 10-05-20, 08:57 PM
DQRider 
Old Boy

N+1 To The Rescue!

The Dawes again... sorry. I'm still developing the drivetrain on this bike. After Sunday's ride, I'm not happy with the 1x10 setup, even after installing a Wolf-Tooth 40T "Drop Stop" chainring.

... but maybe I was on the wrong bike? The trail I was riding when I took this shot had some serious climbs on it. I later found out that it was mostly a hiking trail and disc golf course, and that bicycles seldom ventured there. I guess that's why I had to stop and walk this thing up several steep climbs and switchbacks to the top of the ridgeline. If I had left everything stock, I would have had a Suntour Mountech 3x5 setup with an adequate granny gear to make it up this trail. But because I wanted the perfect all-rounder, I went with 1x10 instead.

And I'm afraid there may be no going back. That would involve cold-setting (bending) the rear triangle back to its stock 120mm O.L.D., and I really don't want to put that kind of stress into the steel. I'm thinking that, if I really want to take on this kind of climb on this bike, I should go to a compact double up front, something like 44/34, so I could have that 1/1 granny option. But wait!

The 1x10 on this bike works perfectly for 99% of everyday riding. I think what I actually need is N+1, in the form of a mid-80s Lotus Pegasus, Miyata Ridge Runner, or Shogun Prairie Breaker (Was that Shogun's top-tier MTB back then? Research is sketchy on this.). None of these have the cachet of the Stumpyumpers, Ritchey's, or Fishers, but that just means that they are financially within reach, while still being every bit as good, IMHO.

Looks like I'd better go bike hunting!

Last edited by DQRider; 10-05-20 at 09:01 PM.
Likes For DQRider:
Old 10-06-20, 05:59 AM
J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Brompton

Quoted: 1385 Post(s)
Liked 677 Times in 457 Posts
The Dawes again... sorry. I'm still developing the drivetrain on this bike. After Sunday's ride, I'm not happy with the 1x10 setup, even after installing a Wolf-Tooth 40T "Drop Stop" chainring.

... but maybe I was on the wrong bike? The trail I was riding when I took this shot had some serious climbs on it. I later found out that it was mostly a hiking trail and disc golf course, and that bicycles seldom ventured there. I guess that's why I had to stop and walk this thing up several steep climbs and switchbacks to the top of the ridgeline. If I had left everything stock, I would have had a Suntour Mountech 3x5 setup with an adequate granny gear to make it up this trail. But because I wanted the perfect all-rounder, I went with 1x10 instead.

And I'm afraid there may be no going back. That would involve cold-setting (bending) the rear triangle back to its stock 120mm O.L.D., and I really don't want to put that kind of stress into the steel. I'm thinking that, if I really want to take on this kind of climb on this bike, I should go to a compact double up front, something like 44/34, so I could have that 1/1 granny option. But wait!

The 1x10 on this bike works perfectly for 99% of everyday riding. I think what I actually need is N+1, in the form of a mid-80s Lotus Pegasus, Miyata Ridge Runner, or Shogun Prairie Breaker (Was that Shogun's top-tier MTB back then? Research is sketchy on this.). None of these have the cachet of the Stumpyumpers, Ritchey's, or Fishers, but that just means that they are financially within reach, while still being every bit as good, IMHO.

N+1 always works!

FWIW, I've had nothing but issues with every 1x setup I've ever had. Either there is not enough low end or not enough high end. I had a Surly ECR with that problem, and after several cassette mods, and swaps, and chainring swaps, I came to the conclusion that 1x gearing is good for multi-use trails and rail trails and thats about it.
Old 10-06-20, 06:39 AM
vp1337

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 33 Posts
Matchy-matchy fenders are lovely.
Thanks, they indeed are, I love the look of em!

Originally Posted by Clyde1820
vp1337 , well that bike's downright beautiful. Nicely done.
Thank you!
Old 10-06-20, 09:23 AM
bOsscO
bOsscO

Your own personal epiphany!! IMO this is good news, and realizing it works for 99% of your type of riding is important. The bike I'm building came with a 3X8 drivetrain and I'm trying to keep it that way. However, now that the frame is cleaned/painted the FD clamp is having trouble wrapping/fastening around the seat tube (see my thread in the 'Bicycle Mechanics' sub-forum). Although I have yet to spin the cranks I may end up with a 1X drivetrain.
Old 10-07-20, 05:06 AM
scubaman

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 37 Posts

~30 year old Trek 930 rescued from the trash in an alley in Minneapolis, repainted “Illusion Money” powdercoat, set up with 1x 10 speed with a Jones riser loop bar and René Herse Rat Trap Pass 26 x 2.3” tires. The bike feels light, responsive, and smooth!
Old 10-08-20, 11:47 AM
bOsscO
bOsscO

Originally Posted by scubaman

~30 year old Trek 930 rescued from the trash in an alley in Minneapolis, repainted “Illusion Money” powdercoat, set up with 1x 10 speed with a Jones riser loop bar and René Herse Rat Trap Pass 26 x 2.3” tires. The bike feels light, responsive, and smooth!
Looks rad! How did you fit a 10sp cassette in the rear dropouts? How wide is the rear end?
Old 10-08-20, 01:25 PM
scubaman

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 37 Posts
Looks rad! How did you fit a 10sp cassette in the rear dropouts? How wide is the rear end?
Thanks! Rear spacing is 135mm, which I think was standard for MTBs since 7-speed cassettes (which is what this bike was sold with). So no re-spacing/cold-setting was needed.

I took off the original 7-speed wheel, and replaced it with a wheel that has a Shimano-HG-compatible hub that can fit 8-, 9-, and 10-speed cassettes (and also 11-speed MTB cassettes, which I’ve used successfully on other MTB frames from the same era).
Likes For scubaman:
Old 10-09-20, 01:52 PM
sloppy12

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked 252 Times in 147 Posts
some great looking bikes

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.