Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Suntour cranktastrophy

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Suntour cranktastrophy

Old 10-02-20, 08:21 AM
grizzly907la
Grouchy Old man

Bikes: Diamond Back Insight 2, Gravity Basecamp mountain bike, GMC Denali Road Bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 37 Posts
Suntour cranktastrophy

I am overhauling a mountain bike...a Gravity "Base camp," mountain bike. I managed to get the crank bolts out after soaking them overnight with JB Blaster (liquid wrench.) Either they dogged them down to tight, corrosion, or both made them hard to remove. Now I am running into another obstacle and that's pulling the cranks off. I've already managed the strip the outside threads on one and neither are budging. I don't think my crank puller tool is going to work. I might go get a gear puller and see if that can help me get the cranks off. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Old 10-02-20, 09:06 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6177 Post(s)
Liked 4,794 Times in 3,306 Posts
Did your crank have something you thought was just a dust cover on it with a hex hole in it just above the crank bolt? If so, put the bolt back in and the cover on and then stick your hex key for the bolt through the hole in the cover and unscrew the bolt. That will push the crank arm off. No pullers needed as they were built in to the design.
Old 10-02-20, 09:10 AM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
A Jacobs chuck removal wedge set (#3 size IIRC) is useful for removing stuck cranks. They are nice because the force is directed parallel to the spindle.
Reasonable heat, like heat gun or hairdryer, not torch, on the crank eyes is also helpful. I have also had success with getting a removal tool tight and then applying a hand sledge blow to the tool's screw, in line with the crank spindle, NOT sideways.
Edit: A machine shop may have the wedges.
Old 10-02-20, 10:12 AM
sch

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 104 Posts
If you haven't taken the bike down too far, another option is to find a steep hill and ride it repeatedly
under high torque (as high a gear as your legs will allow). This, along with pretreatment with PBlaster
or similar may loosen the crank. I had personal experience when I rebuilt my bent 10yrs ago
and couldn't easily remove the DS crank. Rebuilt bike but forgot to put the fixing bolt in. Got about
20 miles (only a few hills) before the crank fell off. Using wedges will be difficult if the chainrings
are in the way. OTOH a gear puller might be able to grab a chain ring and pull off the crank.
Old 10-02-20, 10:33 AM
andrewclaus

Bikes: 2016 Fuji Tread, 1983 Trek 520

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 674 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 429 Posts
What's the part number on the crank puller you're using? You should be using CP-22 or equal, not CP-44. It looks like some deformation in the crank arms, like the puller "shoe" is too big, which is like pulling yourself up by your bootstraps.
Old 10-02-20, 10:46 AM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
Did your crank have something you thought was just a dust cover on it with a hex hole in it just above the crank bolt? If so, put the bolt back in and the cover on and then stick your hex key for the bolt through the hole in the cover and unscrew the bolt. That will push the crank arm off. No pullers needed as they were built in to the design.
Square taper cranks rarely if ever have this type of 'self puller'. I don't think I have ever seen one.
Old 10-02-20, 11:16 AM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by sch
... Using wedges will be difficult if the chainrings are in the way.
A drift punch can be used to gradually tap the wedges in, it does not take a huge amount of pounding. Might be easier than getting a gear puller to get good purchase on a chain ring.
Old 10-02-20, 11:18 AM
grizzly907la
Grouchy Old man

Bikes: Diamond Back Insight 2, Gravity Basecamp mountain bike, GMC Denali Road Bike

Re:

Originally Posted by andrewclaus
What's the part number on the crank puller you're using? You should be using CP-22 or equal, not CP-44. It looks like some deformation in the crank arms, like the puller "shoe" is too big, which is like pulling yourself up by your bootstraps.
This is the number I got off of the tool. bike hand yc 215 cp.
Old 10-02-20, 11:25 AM
grizzly907la
Grouchy Old man

Re:

Originally Posted by sch
If you haven't taken the bike down too far, another option is to find a steep hill and ride it repeatedly
under high torque (as high a gear as your legs will allow). This, along with pretreatment with PBlaster
or similar may loosen the crank. I had personal experience when I rebuilt my bent 10yrs ago
and couldn't easily remove the DS crank. Rebuilt bike but forgot to put the fixing bolt in. Got about
20 miles (only a few hills) before the crank fell off. Using wedges will be difficult if the chainrings
are in the way. OTOH a gear puller might be able to grab a chain ring and pull off the crank.
Everything the exception of the cranks has been pulled off. I'll try to use a gear puller. Its on their gorilla tight. They might of have over torque it at the factory, and/or was left outside and its corroded in there. I already have a new crankset ordered. If I can get them off with the above methods, I'm going to take it to a friend house and ask him to use a grinder to cut the cranks off. I already stripped the outer threads on the chain side, and don't want to have this problem down the road. I'm also prepared to get a replacement bottom bracket if the studs on it, gets damaged.
Old 10-02-20, 12:00 PM
andrewclaus

Originally Posted by grizzly907la
This is the number I got off of the tool. bike hand yc 215 cp.
A similar tool I can see has both sizes on it. If yours is two-sided, are you using the smaller side? Maybe a photo of the tool would help.

In any case, one side is stripped out and I've sometimes had luck with an automotive tie rod puller, a "pickle fork," It will likely dent the BB shell. Getting "purchase" with a gear puller can be difficult. Heat and impact is a favorite technique. I've never tried cycling with the bolt out, and I'd give that a try.
Old 10-02-20, 12:11 PM
grizzly907la
Grouchy Old man

A similar tool I can see has both sizes on it. If yours is two-sided, are you using the smaller side? Maybe a photo of the tool would help.

In any case, one side is stripped out and I've sometimes had luck with an automotive tie rod puller, a "pickle fork," It will likely dent the BB shell. Getting "purchase" with a gear puller can be difficult. Heat and impact is a favorite technique. I've never tried cycling with the bolt out, and I'd give that a try.
I'll try taking a blow dryer to it, and here's a pic of the tool.
Old 10-02-20, 12:12 PM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1872 Post(s)
Liked 692 Times in 468 Posts
Good luck. I think you're going to have to use Sawzall to cut them off like I had to do.
Old 10-02-20, 12:13 PM
andrewclaus

Wrong tool, sorry to say. That's for splined BBs. You need Park CP-22 or equal.
Likes For andrewclaus:
Old 10-02-20, 12:23 PM
grizzly907la
Grouchy Old man

Wrong tool, sorry to say. That's for splined BBs. You need Park CP-22 or equal.
Its all good. Its just going to be a PITA to remove it.
Old 10-02-20, 04:35 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3867 Post(s)
Liked 6,452 Times in 3,192 Posts
I might go get a gear puller.
Good idea.

Sometimes, and it's super rare, crank arms just get stuck like this, and you don't find out until it's too late. Chalk it up to bad luck, don't worry about it, and move on.

For the arm that's not stripped, use one of these:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Park-Tool-C...MAAOSwpCFctkF-

Last edited by SurferRosa; 10-02-20 at 04:50 PM.
Old 10-02-20, 04:40 PM
grizzly907la
Grouchy Old man

Originally Posted by SurferRosa
Good idea.

Sometimes, and it's super rare, crank arms just get stuck like this, and you don't find out until it's too late. Chalk it up to bad luck, don't worry about it, and move on.
The crank is coming off, hell or high water. I ordered a new crank, and it will get here in about a week or two. I knew I was going to have some issues with the bike when I got it. It looks like it was left outside. Hence the reason why I am overhauling it. Pets and bikes should never be left outside. I learned a valuable lesson and next time. I'll make sure that I use the proper tool.
Likes For grizzly907la:
Old 10-02-20, 06:11 PM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 580 Times in 398 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
This won't work if the threads inside the crank are stripped.
Old 10-02-20, 08:10 PM
brian3069

Bikes: Raleigh Supercourse

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 101 Posts
Use a pickle fork, most chain auto part stores will loan one for free.

Jump to the 3:00 minute mark.

Last edited by brian3069; 10-02-20 at 08:33 PM.
Old 10-03-20, 05:39 AM
Pop N Wood

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 667 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 355 Posts
My experiences are the same as Andrew's. Never had luck with a gear puller, have sucessfully used a pickle fork which did dent the BB shell, but heat and IMPACT, heavy emphasis on the vibration from impact, works.

I recently bought a set of Jacobs wedges after seeing dsbrantjr suggest them but haven't had the chance to use them.

Recently tried to remove a crank with self extracting bolts. Of course destroyed the self extracting part in short order. Will probably need the Jacobs wedges the day that needs to come off.
Old 10-03-20, 07:13 AM
Trevtassie

Bikes: A steel framed 26" off road tourer from a manufacturer who thinks they are cool. Giant Anthem. Trek 720 Multiroad pub bike. 10 kids bikes all under 20". Assorted waifs and unfinished projects.

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 1,154 Times in 640 Posts
For the OP, that Bike Hand puller comes from the factory set up for Octalink BBs, so the head was too big to push on the actual BB, it was pushing on the crank, like Andrewclaus was saying. You need to pull the mushroom shaped head off it to use with square taper. If you can't pull it off by hand, screw/retract the head inside the body until the head pops off.
Self extracting crank bolts are OK, but you need to buy quality ones, like FSA. Cheap ones aren't strong enough, they can split, leaving a piece stuck in the crank or strip out and damage the crank threads.
Old 10-03-20, 07:20 AM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 526 Posts

Using 2 pickle forks 180 deg. apart will wedge the crank off parallel to the shell and should not damage the shell. If you are worried about it, you can use a sacrificial shim against the shell. BMFY is absolutely right - you need to hammer with serious verve and elan!

Good luck.
Old 10-03-20, 07:36 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2740 Post(s)
Liked 3,386 Times in 2,049 Posts
We buy hardwood wedges by the pallet for adjusting sewer frames and blocking pipe. They work pretty well too.
Old 10-03-20, 07:37 AM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 836 Post(s)
Liked 1,058 Times in 742 Posts
Listen to andrewclaus. I agree this is probably why it won't work.
Old 10-03-20, 07:39 AM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 612 Posts
The round disk on the tool looks too big to contact just the spindle. As if it may be touching the crank, not the spindle.

I'll try taking a blow dryer to it, and here's a pic of the tool.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 10-03-20, 07:54 AM
grizzly907la
Grouchy Old man

Originally Posted by Homebrew01
The round disk on the tool looks too big to contact just the spindle. As if it may be touching the crank, not the spindle.
I boned headed the chainring side pretty badly with that tool. I'm a little annoyed at myself but am chalking it to a lesson learned.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.