Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

glad I got my bike when i did

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 10-08-20, 12:13 AM
Symox

Bikes: '23 Poseidon Redwood, '07 Specialized Roubaix Comp Triple, '12 Gravity Fixie, '21 Liv Rove 4, '06? Giant EB Spirit

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 151 Posts

I have a 2007 Roubaix Comp Triple I bought new and love it.

Looking at bikes now recently I notice several things:
1) The prices seem to have increased
2) The Shimano groups have "downgraded" (although since they use a trickle down approach to their line I bet they are as good or better than the previous year's higher level group
3) Its almost impossible to find a non disc brake road bike

I am very impressed with the rim brakes (they are 105s) on my bike. I've never used disc brakes on a road bike but I'm pretty conservative when it comes to bike technology - I like to use whatever technology has matured or at least has been on the market for several years. Rim brake design for road bikes is just about perfected while disc brakes seem to be improving every year. While disc brakes have many advantages, I still prefer what I have as the performance is excellent (except in the wet - which I don't ride in), the weight is probably lower and the quick release system makes the bike easy to work on. Plus working on rim brakes is simple just like me.

So yeah, I'm glad I bought when I did
Likes For Symox:
Old 10-08-20, 05:34 AM
Pop N Wood

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 667 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 355 Posts
I love all my bikes, old and newer. Own any bike long enough and you will grow an appreciation for it.

Too much bandwidth is devoted to rim vs disc brakes. In the end they are just brakes. Once you get on the bike you probably won't notice what kind they are. Unless, of course, the bike is out of adjustment.

Seems to me if more people owned both kids of bikes there would be a whole lot less speculation about them on the internet.
Likes For Pop N Wood:
Old 10-08-20, 05:55 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3638 Post(s)
Liked 5,318 Times in 2,703 Posts
I guess that's 10 speed which I really liked. The problem will be finding "enthusiast" level replacement components, especially for the triple stuff. Nevertheless, you should be able to get some more years from it.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 10-08-20, 06:38 AM
Koyote

Quoted: 6882 Post(s)
Liked 10,875 Times in 4,639 Posts
Originally Posted by Symox

2) The Shimano groups have "downgraded" (although since they use a trickle down approach to their line I bet they are as good or better than the previous year's higher level group

I am very impressed with the rim brakes (they are 105s) on my bike. I've never used disc brakes on a road bike but I'm pretty conservative when it comes to bike technology - I like to use whatever technology has matured or at least has been on the market for several years. Rim brake design for road bikes is just about perfected while disc brakes seem to be improving every year. While disc brakes have many advantages, I still prefer what I have as the performance is excellent (except in the wet - which I don't ride in), the weight is probably lower and the quick release system makes the bike easy to work on. Plus working on rim brakes is simple just like me.

1) Prices do tend to rise over time, and incomes tend to do the same. It's called "inflation."
2) Don't know how the Shimano groups have "downgraded." Comparing my 2008 Shimano groupset to my 2020 Shimano groupset, I prefer the newer one - more speeds, wider gearing range. (Though mine are doubles; your triple crankset is even better in that regard.)
3) It's not even close to "impossible" to find a rim-brake equipped road bike.

I'm glad you like your bike...I like my 12-year old bike, too. But don't make stuff up.

Last edited by Koyote; 10-08-20 at 06:49 AM.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 10-08-20, 08:10 AM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 526 Posts
Originally Posted by badger1
Not a bad Trojan Horse for (yet) another rim v. disc brake thread. Not bad at all. Let's see if it works.
Drum brakes rule!
Likes For Moe Zhoost:
Old 10-08-20, 08:22 AM
Pop N Wood

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor

Quoted: 667 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 355 Posts
Damn. Tough crowd, LOL
Likes For Pop N Wood:
Old 10-08-20, 09:04 AM
Mojo31
-------

Quoted: 9532 Post(s)
Liked 6,273 Times in 3,459 Posts
Originally Posted by Moe Zhoost
Drum brakes rule!
Coaster brakes are the best.
Likes For Mojo31:
Old 10-08-20, 09:22 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10902 Post(s)
Liked 7,393 Times in 4,148 Posts

Yes prices have increased. Its sucks, but its reality. Look at the last 150 years for evidence that this is kinda sorta how our economy works.
No the groups havent downgraded. Not at all. Not in any way. What do you even mean? Every group has more features now than 13 years ago.
While buying a new road bike with rim brakes may not be easy, it isnt at all impossible. But its also moot since you love your bike so it doesnt matter what is on new bikes.

You seem to have the perfect bike for your wants and needs.
Your complaints list is weak.
Old 10-08-20, 10:01 AM
Symox

Bikes: '23 Poseidon Redwood, '07 Specialized Roubaix Comp Triple, '12 Gravity Fixie, '21 Liv Rove 4, '06? Giant EB Spirit

Originally Posted by Koyote
1) Prices do tend to rise over time, and incomes tend to do the same. It's called "inflation."
2) Don't know how the Shimano groups have "downgraded." Comparing my 2008 Shimano groupset to my 2020 Shimano groupset, I prefer the newer one - more speeds, wider gearing range. (Though mine are doubles; your triple crankset is even better in that regard.)
3) It's not even close to "impossible" to find a rim-brake equipped road bike.

I'm glad you like your bike...I like my 12-year old bike, too. But don't make stuff up.
“downgraded” was the wrong term. I don’t know the name for it but what I meant was for a given price the newer bikes tend to have the next lower in the line (ultegra to 105, etc)
Old 10-08-20, 10:02 AM
Symox

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Yes prices have increased. Its sucks, but its reality. Look at the last 150 years for evidence that this is kinda sorta how our economy works.
No the groups havent downgraded. Not at all. Not in any way. What do you even mean? Every group has more features now than 13 years ago.
While buying a new road bike with rim brakes may not be easy, it isnt at all impossible. But its also moot since you love your bike so it doesnt matter what is on new bikes.

You seem to have the perfect bike for your wants and needs.
Your complaints list is weak.
I wasn’t complaining, I was listing observations

Downgrading was probably the wrong turn. I was referring to what used to be Ultegras for a given price range of bike have now become 105s. However I have 105s which perform better than a previous generations (or two) Ultegras. The groups have all improved

Last edited by Symox; 10-08-20 at 10:06 AM.
Old 10-08-20, 10:07 AM
Symox

Originally Posted by msu2001la
This pairs nicely with your other thread:

"I have never felt confident going downhill"
"I am riding the brakes that I'm on the verge of losing control."
"I get the sense that the brakes are about to chatter locking up after losing contact with the road momentarily."

https://www.bikeforums.net/general-c...road-help.html
you’re right it does, if you read through the thread
Old 10-08-20, 10:10 AM
Symox

Originally Posted by Pop N Wood
Damn. Tough crowd, LOL
looks like I inadvertently stepped on a landmine. Didn’t realize it was a touchy subject

I’ll chalk it up to live and learn
Old 10-08-20, 10:18 AM
Koyote

Quoted: 6882 Post(s)
Liked 10,875 Times in 4,639 Posts
“downgraded” was the wrong term. I don’t know the name for it but what I meant was for a given price the newer bikes tend to have the next lower in the line (ultegra to 105, etc)
Sure, I get it. Partly that is inflation, and partly - as you noted - all of those groupsets have gotten better. Current 105, for example, is great. I don't think it's as good as my 12-year old Ultegra, but it's pretty great nonetheless.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 10-08-20, 10:40 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2512 Post(s)
Liked 5,430 Times in 2,827 Posts
Originally Posted by Mojo31
Coaster brakes are the best.
too techy. I just drag my feet - with shoes on, because I’m a wimp.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 10-08-20, 11:23 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

I wasn’t complaining, I was listing observations

Downgrading was probably the wrong turn. I was referring to what used to be Ultegras for a given price range of bike have now become 105s. However I have 105s which perform better than a previous generations (or two) Ultegras. The groups have all improved
Gotcha. Yes it costs more for the same level components now compared to 13 years ago. Thats basically what you said in the first point- stuff costs more now.

Your bike had a $2200 msrp. carbon frame and fork, 9sp 105 drivetrain.
Current Specialized Roubaix with carbon frame and fork, hydraulic thru axle disc brakes, stem suspension, and 10sp Tiagra drivetrain for $2200 msrp.

So 13 years later for the same cost, you get the same material frame and fork plus hydraulic disc brakes, stem suspension technology, and an extra cog in the rear.
And if you go with any number of other brands, you will actually have more value than the current Roubaix.

Enjoy your bike, but if it breaks tomorrow you can replace it for the same cost with something that is not a downgrade.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 10-08-20, 12:25 PM
MattTheHat 

Bikes: 2021 S-Works Turbo Creo SL, 2020 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 3,982 Times in 1,415 Posts
I've never used disc brakes on a road bike but I'm pretty conservative when it comes to bike technology - I like to use whatever technology has matured or at least has been on the market for several years.
Disk brakes on bicycles have been around for about 20 years now. I think they're going to work out okay.
Likes For MattTheHat:
Old 10-08-20, 12:57 PM
Mojo31
-------

Quoted: 9532 Post(s)
Liked 6,273 Times in 3,459 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
too techy. I just drag my feet - with shoes on, because I’m a wimp.
Okay Fred.
Likes For Mojo31:
Old 10-08-20, 02:40 PM
Dave Mayer

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1359 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 273 Posts
looks like I inadvertently stepped on a landmine. Didn’t realize it was a touchy subject

Relax: this is the Intraweb - it isn't real. You may have been piled-on by early-adopter types desperate to justify their most recent misguided purchases, but your current bike is better than what you can buy now.

First off, shifting performance hasn't improved. If you've ever run NOS Dura-Ace 7700 or 7800 - it is a revelation. Super crisp and clean shifting; better than my 11-speed gear. The reason why most folks cite older stuff having poor shifting is due to a simple lack of maintenance. Spending $20 per year on new cables and housing would fix this. Hell, I was riding on a steel Pinarello yesterday with 1995 Campagnolo Ergopower shifting. Amazing stuff; Campy got brifters right almost out of the gate.

As far as discs, they are heavy, fussy and unnecessary on a performance road bike. Ditto for 28mm+ tires. So take care of your old steed, as whatever you can buy now at the same inflation-adjusted dollars will be heavy and sluggish downgrade that will ride like a farm tractor.

And for all-round riding in hilly terrain, cherish your triple crankset. God only knows why the industry went to compact doubles and now 1 x.

I have been looking for a road bike lately, and you are correct, it is almost impossible to find a road bike that matches the performance of a elite-level 2010 vintage bike - at any price, anywhere. A local shop had a 2017 Giant TCX Pro rim-brake bike on their website. I contacted them hoping to scoop it up, but it was sold. So I then asked them to track something down with similar specs. They could not. Assuming that they did not have enough motivation, I indicated a budget of $15,000. They still could not; current technology will not allow a bike that is lighter and more responsive than several 10-year old bikes I already own.
Likes For Dave Mayer:
Old 10-08-20, 03:09 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4253 Post(s)
Liked 3,866 Times in 2,579 Posts
Originally Posted by Dave Mayer
Relax: this is the Intraweb - it isn't real. You may have been piled-on by early-adopter types desperate to justify their most recent misguided purchases, but your current bike is better than what you can buy now.

First off, shifting performance hasn't improved. If you've ever run NOS Dura-Ace 7700 or 7800 - it is a revelation. Super crisp and clean shifting; better than my 11-speed gear. The reason why most folks cite older stuff having poor shifting is due to a simple lack of maintenance. Spending $20 per year on new cables and housing would fix this. Hell, I was riding on a steel Pinarello yesterday with 1995 Campagnolo Ergopower shifting. Amazing stuff; Campy got brifters right almost out of the gate.

As far as discs, they are heavy, fussy and unnecessary on a performance road bike. Ditto for 28mm+ tires. So take care of your old steed, as whatever you can buy now at the same inflation-adjusted dollars will be heavy and sluggish downgrade that will ride like a farm tractor.

And for all-round riding in hilly terrain, cherish your triple crankset. God only knows why the industry went to compact doubles and now 1 x.

I have been looking for a road bike lately, and you are correct, it is almost impossible to find a road bike that matches the performance of a elite-level 2010 vintage bike - at any price, anywhere. A local shop had a 2017 Giant TCX Pro rim-brake bike on their website. I contacted them hoping to scoop it up, but it was sold. So I then asked them to track something down with similar specs. They could not. Assuming that they did not have enough motivation, I indicated a budget of $15,000. They still could not; current technology will not allow a bike that is lighter and more responsive than several 10-year old bikes I already own.
What have you been smoking?

I am all for vintage bikes, I love them and have a bunch of great ones but saying modern bikes are like riding a heavy clunky tractor is absolutely ridiculous. I am not going to wade into the disc vs rim debate because it has been done to death and I love both and have both but to say technology magically stopped with older groupsets however nice and desirable they might be is silly. My Di2 road bike rides way better than any of my vintage bikes especially shifting wise but also for the fact I can run 28mm tires without rubbing and I am sorry but skinny tires aren't so nice.

In terms of material debates I ride titanium and steel so the new carbon stuff doesn't excite me much but the technology has come along a great deal.

Give me the 15k and I will put it to good use building up some nice modern bikes that will shift like a champ and brake like they should and can be super light (though I am not a lightweight rider so I tend to avoid super light stuff)
Old 10-08-20, 03:15 PM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11894 Post(s)
Liked 6,492 Times in 3,418 Posts

Don't worry about it, your thread is fine. It's not your problem, THEY are the ones with the problem. Some guys get hung up in a thread that doesn't interest them and instead of leaving quietly they hang around and criticize . . . because they got nothing better to do. They forget that at one time they were new to the cycling culture too, and knew probably even less.
Likes For BillyD:
Old 10-08-20, 03:20 PM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11894 Post(s)
Liked 6,492 Times in 3,418 Posts
Originally Posted by badger1
Not a bad Trojan Horse for (yet) another rim v. disc brake thread. Not bad at all. Let's see if it works.
Originally Posted by msu2001la
This pairs nicely with your other thread:

"I have never felt confident going downhill"
"I am riding the brakes that I'm on the verge of losing control."
"I get the sense that the brakes are about to chatter locking up after losing contact with the road momentarily."

You two can go find another thread if this one isn't to your liking.
Likes For BillyD:
Old 10-08-20, 03:41 PM
Symox

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Gotcha. Yes it costs more for the same level components now compared to 13 years ago. Thats basically what you said in the first point- stuff costs more now.

Your bike had a $2200 msrp. carbon frame and fork, 9sp 105 drivetrain.
Current Specialized Roubaix with carbon frame and fork, hydraulic thru axle disc brakes, stem suspension, and 10sp Tiagra drivetrain for $2200 msrp.

So 13 years later for the same cost, you get the same material frame and fork plus hydraulic disc brakes, stem suspension technology, and an extra cog in the rear.
And if you go with any number of other brands, you will actually have more value than the current Roubaix.

Enjoy your bike, but if it breaks tomorrow you can replace it for the same cost with something that is not a downgrade.
Actually it is a 10sp triple with full 105 group (levers, brakes, crank, both derailleurs, cassette, chain and bottom bracket) . While triples are out of fashion it seems, my older knees are really appreciating it when climbing hills (of which there are a lot where I am). Plus the rapid change of setting of the front derailleur is pretty neat (also can be done with a double, but with a triple you have another option) when I need it. When Compact cranks became the trend I was regretting the triple for a while, now I'm thanking God I got it each time I climb a challenging hill
Old 10-08-20, 03:56 PM
Symox

Thank you for that post. Much appreciated.
I agree with maintaining the cables. I just did this for the brake and shift cables. Shifting has improved slightly I have to say. Can't say I noticed any change with the braking. I didn't change the housings but now you have me thinking I should give it a shot. It was fun working on it.

One change that I did improved the braking performance - replacing the pads with KoolStop blacks (I'm pretty sure I had Shimano pads that were 13 years old). I noticed better modulation and stopping performance.

Last edited by Symox; 10-08-20 at 03:57 PM. Reason: grammar
Likes For Symox:
Old 10-08-20, 05:13 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Giant has multiple Defy and TCR Advanced bikes with rim brakes at multiple price points.
https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/de...nced-pro-0-red
for example

Trek, Specialized, Orbea, Bianchi, Cannondale, Canyon, BMC, and more all have road bikes with rim brakes.

i don't at all understand your issue with a 28 tire. My main road bike has 28s that measure 31mm. They are fast and comfortable. There is no downside compared to a 25mm tire.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 10-10-20, 06:29 PM
hsuBM
jj

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 110 Times in 78 Posts
As a car design enthusiast, I can’t fathom justifying the current road & dirt trend even further from triples to 1x systems- literally moving weight from the middle of the bikes to the back. Insane. And creating a bunch of non-straight chainline friction? Idiotic. But idiots can’t work two shifters at once and tend to have more money than sense.

As a non-racer, I really don’t get any justification for more than seven cogs in the back, regardless of if you’ve a 2x or a 3x front.

I do really love 32mm tires. Anyone who thinks they’re too big probably has spectacularly smooth roads. I sorta envy you folks, but I think I might eventually find riding in your town daily to be a bit boring from what I’m used to.

I have a bike with one of Tektro’s first hydraulic disc systems from c.2010 (cheap, early tech) and one with a 105 rs550 hydraulic disc system from 2016 (evolved, not-cheap). Not much difference in performance between them, and neither are better than a well set up rim brake with KS salmon pads on alloy rims on sunny days. Disc brake screech on rainy days? No thanks. Salty winter days- rim brakes win by a long shot due to how salt packs into disc pads and renders them useless after a couple weeks of daily use.

I won’t further waste bandwidth elaborating on cloth & plastic in lieu of metal tubing for frames.

I’m pretty much a Rivendell customer with a Kona budget.

———

People who don’t bike much more than fifty miles a year, two years out of every twenty are the customers that bike shops sell most new bikes to.

Disc brakes, thru axles, motorcycle tires, seventeen cog rears, and dropper posts are how you sell someone a road bike that keeps up with what the Jones’ have strapped to the roof of their Mercedes in 2020.

It’s these sort of people that have kept the cycling industry afloat through the decades and made a bunch of nearly NOS frames from the 70s-80s available for me to put cartridge BB and fresh wheels on to hammer the heck out of.

I feel bad for people who’ll be in the used bike budget 20-30 years from now. They’ll be stuck with some weird tech stuff that’ll have room for real world tires but no mounts for fenders.

Last edited by hsuBM; 10-10-20 at 06:37 PM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.