Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Is it all in my head ?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Is it all in my head ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-20, 12:24 AM
pommieroger

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Is it all in my head ?

The bottom bike has been my daily rider for about 2 years and just this year I gave it a freshen up in the form of a repaint until I get my new steed (still havent figured that out yet ?) anyhow in the meantime this bike popped up locally so I bought it. Other than spending 2 days soaking the seat post in wd40 and Coca cola I manged to get it free and have been riding it on alternative days. This is the part I am not understanding? somehow it feels much harder to do my normal flat 21k loop, the gearing isn't that much different to my steel bike(or is this the part I am missing completely I am not great with numbers) I figured this bike would be faster as its carbon, but I am not doing my route any quicker slower if anything. I haven't got anything to judge the weight but it feels lighter, both are running 23mm tyres the bars on the steel bike are 40cm while the carbon bikes bars are 44cm width, seat height set up so its the same but the carbon bike reach is about 20mm ish further forward(could get shorter stem) Would the 1 extra tooth on the big chain ring be enough to make the ride feel harder, or the reach being that bit further ? I can pedal in the highest gear on the Steel bike on parts of my loop fine but struggling doing it on the carbon bike and have to knock it down a few gears ? the carbon bike does feel a tad smoother but if i was to choose between them I would pick the steelie .

Is it all in my head
Old 10-12-20, 05:24 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3672 Post(s)
Liked 5,427 Times in 2,757 Posts
Load free Strava on your phone, ride your route. You won't have to guess at the results. 21K/13miles is short to make any judgement. Try 100K and any difference will be more apparent.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 10-12-20, 06:31 AM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1097 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 446 Posts
Check your saddle fore/aft position, compared to your other bike. The new has the saddle shoved forward and a short stem. If that still produces a 20mm longer reach, the fit on one of the bikes isn't ideal. The saddle should not be used for reach adjustment.
Likes For DaveSSS:
Old 10-12-20, 06:31 AM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1097 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 446 Posts
Deleted
Old 10-12-20, 06:35 AM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
Yeah, it could all just be saddle position. On every bike I ride, I routinely slam the saddle back as far as it will go without even thinking about it. Of course YMMV, but that's the first thing I would try on the CF bike.
Likes For Lemond1985:
Old 10-12-20, 06:36 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22597 Post(s)
Liked 8,925 Times in 4,158 Posts
Assuming there is no major bearing rub/brake rub/friction issues, any difference is either "feel" (which is common) and/or due to differences in fit/aero drag.
Likes For datlas:
Old 10-12-20, 07:43 AM
Gary in NJ

Bikes: 2020 Fuji Gran Fondo 1.3, 2015 Trek FrankenMarlin Gravel Thing

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by pommieroger
Other than spending 2 days soaking the seat post in wd40 and Coca cola I manged to get it free and have been riding it on alternative days.
If the seat post was showing signs of corrosion, I would suspect that the wheel bearings, chain and BB should also be inspected and addressed as well.
Likes For Gary in NJ:
Old 10-12-20, 08:03 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 679 Times in 430 Posts
Carbon is not inherently faster or stiffer than other materials. It depends on the quality of carbon and layup. I've not been impressed with lower end carbon - regardless of brand.
Likes For topflightpro:
Old 10-12-20, 10:47 AM
popeye

Bikes: S works Tarmac, Felt TK2 track

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 111 Posts
Flip and slam.
Likes For popeye:
Old 10-12-20, 11:23 AM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
What parts of the ride are you pedaling 52/11 on?
Likes For woodcraft:
Old 10-12-20, 07:00 PM
pommieroger

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveSSS
Check your saddle fore/aft position, compared to your other bike. The new has the saddle shoved forward and a short stem. If that still produces a 20mm longer reach, the fit on one of the bikes isn't ideal. The saddle should not be used for reach adjustment.
Yeah dave I did a quick height measurement on the seat height and that about all and from the centre of the seat to the bars, so could try messing about with that. I have never had a proper bike fit so just making do but my new bike I will be sure to get the right size.

Originally Posted by Lemond1985
Yeah, it could all just be saddle position. On every bike I ride, I routinely slam the saddle back as far as it will go without even thinking about it. Of course YMMV, but that's the first thing I would try on the CF bike.
thats on the list next.

Originally Posted by datlas
Assuming there is no major bearing rub/brake rub/friction issues, any difference is either "feel" (which is common) and/or due to differences in fit/aero drag.
everything running free the bars are 4cm wider so in a windtunnel it would prove to be a drag so i guess i real life it also is a drag but yeah I am thinking its maybe the feel thing .lol

Originally Posted by Gary in NJ
If the seat post was showing signs of corrosion, I would suspect that the wheel bearings, chain and BB should also be inspected and addressed as well.
HI Gary other than the seatpost I gave it a once over and cleaned the group set the rear pully wheels where caked up but all good now, wheels seem to spin forever compared to any other wheels i have ever had,

Originally Posted by woodcraft
What parts of the ride are you pedaling 52/11 on?
Woodcraft the only 2 parts of my ride i am in top are along a couple of stretches of main road maybe 2k long as I try and push it a bit on them bits. but i dont think i got in top on the carbon one I guess like someone else suggested a longer ride would be the way to go, I do have strava but didn't make a note of what bike I was riding but was sure they were a little down on top speed and my heartrate seemed to be up on the carbon bike but that could have been due to weather or any other factor really, but that aside it feels harder to me ?. I guess i will have a little play with the seat and see if i can get if feeling better.

Cheers for all the input people appreciate the comments and suggestions
Old 10-13-20, 09:01 PM
sfrider 
Asleep at the bars

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 135 Posts
Try swapping wheels between the bikes to see if it makes a difference.
"This 7:48 cycling session burned 5933 calories. Speed up recovery by replacing them with a healthy snack." - Whoop

Likes For sfrider: