Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Is it alright to clean/refurbish a reflector?

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Old 10-13-20, 04:03 AM
Hind_marauder

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

Hello all, i made a few visit at my parent's place and me and my sibling's old bikes were still there, they are covered and cleaned from time to time after years of not in use. They usually get used when needed to get something down the road if its nearby.

I'm just worried because the retro reflectors or safety reflectors are pretty dull or kind of worn out, i tried to clean up the outside but i cant get to reach the inside of the reflector it self, should i just put on reflective tapes at it or replace it completely.

I know we could just buy some new parts and get along, but i cant find such similar parts/reflector that looks the same, wanted to have a good nostalgic look to those bikes because we used them a lot back in the days. Also some might wanted to do the same and save up some cash while they're at it, since it really seems like a simple fix to just clean it completely.

Cheers!
Old 10-13-20, 07:16 AM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,017 Times in 571 Posts
I understand the desire for the retro look, but reflectors served their purpose back when lights were impractical. Now that we have LEDS that run on small rechargeable batteries, reflectors are archaic from a safety perspective. I'd leave the reflectors for the look and buy cheap tail lights for safety.
Old 10-13-20, 09:29 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
If I had a reflector that was dirty on the inside, I'd just toss it. I don't think, though, that would affect how it works anyway, since the light reflects from the inner surface of the plastic. If they looked like crap I'd just toss them and put on one I salvaged from an old bike, if I thought it needed one. But I think lights are far more important for safety.
Likes For Milton Keynes:
Old 10-13-20, 10:36 AM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: '12 Schwinn, '13 Norco

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,176 Times in 795 Posts
Sometimes you can't tell if the inside of a reflector is bad until you clean the outside thoroughly first. UV damaged reflectors ought to clean up just like a car headlight. The only trouble would be the areas with any wording molded into the reflector.

Depending on the damage it could be a sand and polish job. Some videos in this link may give you ideas how you want to do it.

Here's pics of a headlight (with side reflector) on one of my "kid's" cars from about a year ago that I repaired. Pics of before and after the sand and polish work. Painted it afterwards with automotive grade clear gloss paint to reduce new UV damage.

Likes For FiftySix:
Old 10-13-20, 10:40 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6163 Post(s)
Liked 4,782 Times in 3,300 Posts
Of course in some, perhaps many states and other jurisdictions, reflectors are required whether you have lights or not. Usually just the front and back, not the side reflectors that are also required to be provided by the manufacturer of a bike sold in the US.

State, Federal and even the bike lighting requirements of many countries are easy to google.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 10-13-20, 11:25 AM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Adding some red reflective tape could be an interim step. Can be removed later, if desired.
Old 10-13-20, 03:28 PM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Originally Posted by JanMM
Adding some red reflective tape could be an interim step. Can be removed later, if desired.
That's what I've done with my bikes. I got the red/white reflective tape for use on trailers and put a long length of red around each seat stay, making sure the backs & sides were covered, put a white strip around the top end of the down tube, and then a couple of strips on each side of the fork, at the top and near the ends of the fork.
Old 10-14-20, 08:38 AM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 588 Posts
If in doubt, more reflectors are always better than fewer, especially if the original ones are dirty or scratched.
Likes For Reflector Guy:
Old 10-14-20, 01:16 PM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 179 Posts
I bought some of the 3M reflective tape used on ambulances. It is extremely reflective, far better than you would get with a reflector and you can mount it on the frame so it can be seen in all directions at night. It is dirt cheap if you are willing to buy it from overseas sources on eBay with about a 3 week delivery time to your mailbox.

2" wide by 10 feet long in a variety of contrasting colors $1.36 including shipping https://www.ebay.com/itm/153431196607 or a single color 16 foot strip from a US seller on eBay for $5 https://www.ebay.com/itm/27450962688
Likes For VegasTriker:
Old 10-14-20, 05:10 PM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: '12 Schwinn, '13 Norco

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,176 Times in 795 Posts
I guess this really comes down to if the OP wants to restore his old reflectors to keep his bike(s) in vintage looking condition, or not.
Likes For FiftySix:
Old 10-15-20, 02:18 AM
Hind_marauder

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Much obliged on these informative replies! I actually do have some LED lights on the bikes and just wanted to have that neat look with the clear reflectors when out and about.
Will definitely get into time in doing those, going to grab some tapes too just in case.

If ever im going to end up buying new ones, which for sure i will just for some spare, i'd love some of those reflectors to hang at the garage too.

Thanks!