Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

Training Status??? (IV)

Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Training Status??? (IV)

Old 10-19-20, 03:19 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2508 Post(s)
Liked 2,968 Times in 1,578 Posts
Originally Posted by hubcyclist
I definitely couldn't make zwift racing a routine part of my training, I've done 2 weeks of it and don't find it super motivating to go out and constantly smash it, I like my intervals and rest between them lol.

But I did a 3hr z2 session on the trainer on saturday, and wanted to do another 3hrs yesterday but got texted by my wife 1:40 into the ride that we had to get ready to go to a time slot she had booked for us to go to. Boo. Stuff like that is a big reason why, as much as I'd like to try doing like 4-5hrs on the trainer, I just don't have time to routinely do it, 2hrs with sweet spot is like the ideal balance for me.

We went hiking on Saturday just up the street from us, we're trying to make hiking more of a thing, and seeing a bunch of people on MTBs having fun made me want to get into that. Not sure how much I'd use it, although I'd have no excuse being quite literally a 5min ride away. MTB is a rabbit hole I'm not prepared to go down, mainly from a cost perspective, unlike road there seems to be way too much compromise in quality/function on the lower end.
MTB rules. I would agree with your assessment about cost though. Make sure you get tubeless, hydraulic disc and 1x shifting. Your looking at like 1k (new) to get into the bottom of that market.
Old 10-19-20, 03:24 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

I'm on my pre-base blast week. CTL at like 65, usually tops at at 100 in Jan/Feb. I like to hit the legs with 17+ hours 'out of the woodwork' in late October before being lazy another week, then starting training for real in November with a more sustainble ~12-14 hr/week (avg) 3 week block. No way I could sustain 17 rn. But I should be able to for a week.

My wrist is still kinda screwed up so it will be largely indoor (boo). But I should have some outside time tomorrow at the track, Friday on the TT bike and I'm thinking I'll be good for 3 hrs outdoor on the road bike on Sunday to cap it off. I'm being patient with it.

Here's what I'm thinking:

M (this morning) 2 hrs of Zwift with two ~24 min climbs at SST (epic KOM)
T: 1 hr total with Zwift warmup then some 3k pursuit efforts on the motor
W: 5 hrs indoor Zwift (yikes)
Th: off
F: 2 hours, Zwift warmup early (untill it's light out) then I'll head down to Fiesta for 1x20' at SST, more time in position on the way out and back at z1/2
S: 4 hrs Zwift (still yikes)
Su: 3 hrs outdoor
Likes For TMonk:
Old 10-19-20, 04:34 PM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
100k Zwift ride, 400 at the start. The problem is you're in a group so your think that all is okay. Well, apparently the main group hammered at the start and left about 200 of us. I pretty much TT'ed for an hour, until I gave up.

Zwift then crashed at the end. Apparently its broken if you have it set in Spanish.
Likes For furiousferret:
Old 10-19-20, 05:44 PM
ridethecliche
Batüwü Creakcreak

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked 287 Times in 160 Posts
Originally Posted by ridethecliche
Felt good today so went out a bit hard on some hills that I thought I could pr on.

Turns out I forgot to start the wahoo for 14 of my 32 miles. I got 2nd best times on the same climbs on the second loop around. I'm 99%sure I was a bunch faster the first time through. Mostly bummed because I missed the data.

Knee feels decent though so ill take it. Might start riding alternate days for now with yoga on the other days to get some recovery.

Also swapped from a 130 to a 120 stem and feel so much better. It's one of the ritchey 260 stems so it was a biyatch to install. Never had to look at installation instructions for a stem before.

Pretty happy with position for now. May need to move left cleat back because my Achilles feels like it's working a bit too hard.

Looked at the recorded 1:15 end for the ride yesterday and the average wattage etc was higher than for the 1:30 shorter ride on the same loop. Now I really wish I had that data lol. Guess I need to go out and hammer that ride when I'm back in philly in 2 weeks.
Old 10-20-20, 10:47 AM
hubcyclist

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh RX 1.0, 2018 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 631 Times in 336 Posts
Another zwift race for me today, 48mins with IF of 0.93, a little lower than some other recent efforts. It was a combined category start and it started off really fast (or I didn't put enough power in), had to put in a good 30 sec effort to close a pretty big gap to the main group once, was dangling at the rear for a bit and didn't catch the main group separating from some others in front of me so I ended up in a grupetto the rest of the way, picked off a few along the way but another larger group caught up and had a pretty big group toward the finish. I finished like 35/66 starters.
Likes For hubcyclist:
Old 10-20-20, 06:55 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8194 Post(s)
Liked 8,870 Times in 4,402 Posts
It will be 3 weeks this Friday since I fell off my mtb. I've been trying to ride a little, went out Saturday and did a few thousand feet of climbing with some people which made the hip pain worse that night. Plus, I got dropped on one hill by a guy on an Eliptigo. Then a bumpy descent made the ribs hurt, especially when I slammed into a pothole.

Today I did 2 hours of mostly easy spinning and so far it doesn't hurt any worse than before I started. Never had the sense to stay off the bike when I should. I'm a fredly club rider but I've been trying to regain fitness since I retired last year and I felt like I had come back a bit and my friend who has been helping me says it's obvious to him that I have. Frustrating to have to give it back. Maybe I should take up hiking. I used to be pretty good at that.
Likes For big john:
Old 10-21-20, 11:48 AM
hubcyclist

60min of endurance for me today, my son was on zwift next to me. He averaged "100w" for 60mins on a zwift race (he's not into racing but it's just something to engage his mind a bit). I think the z-power is in the neighborhood of real life because I average 90ish when we're out in the neighborhood together. Anyhow, I inadvertently made him a sandbagger in the D class because his w/kg is 3.2, which would make him a high C/low B lol
Likes For hubcyclist:
Old 10-21-20, 01:09 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
5 x (3' + 3') VO2max intervals before work this morning. I remembered that there was a park where my kid used to have soccer practice. A little less than half a mile around, no traffic other than a few dog walkers, and no stop signs if I go clockwise. I think I found my own personal road velodrome.

Last edited by caloso; 10-27-20 at 10:11 AM.
Old 10-21-20, 04:51 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Couldn't snuff the 5 hrs of zwifting this morning. It was a combo of some solo riding while doing work email, a B-pace 3R group ride and some more climbing to get me closer to the Tron bike. Did Epic KOM twice.

Cut it 10 min early, mostly because I had time constraints. Took the day off and had appointments for a haircut and at the Verizon store.
Likes For TMonk:
Old 10-22-20, 09:24 AM
hubcyclist

Moar zwift today, averaged 3.9w/kg (4w/kg normalized) for 52mins. It was a combined A-D field and it turns out I was in the bunch contending for 4th place in the B's at the final sprint, but I did little more than up my power to only about 500w and ended up 16th. Oh well lol The other thing is that I always end up wishing I had 11 speeds rather than my 8, because there are a lot of times when I'm on the 17t and feeling a little under powered (and maintaining high cadence) but going 15t would be a little too much power or too low cadence for my preference.
Likes For hubcyclist:
Old 10-22-20, 10:33 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,568 Times in 973 Posts
Went for a 10mi PR before the weather gets slow for the season. Not the best prep by doing loads of sweetspot the last 4 days in a row. Whatever.

285w AP. I couldn't hold the 300 I wanted to. Almost did on the outbound into wind. Inbound with wind I went too easy on a faster section thinking I'd save it for the last little false flat. Saved too much.

Time, 22:38. Including the u-turn. There's very limited bump-free riding on this road. But, it's an easy parking spot from my work without driving way way out somewhere. I'd bet with a loop and good pavement next year I can get into the 21's.

Oh. Edit...22:38 = 26.6mph avg with uturn. Segments along way were about 26.8mph.

Last edited by burnthesheep; 10-22-20 at 05:55 PM.
Likes For burnthesheep:
Old 10-22-20, 11:48 AM
ridethecliche
Batüwü Creakcreak

Originally Posted by hubcyclist
Moar zwift today, averaged 3.9w/kg (4w/kg normalized) for 52mins. It was a combined A-D field and it turns out I was in the bunch contending for 4th place in the B's at the final sprint, but I did little more than up my power to only about 500w and ended up 16th. Oh well lol The other thing is that I always end up wishing I had 11 speeds rather than my 8, because there are a lot of times when I'm on the 17t and feeling a little under powered (and maintaining high cadence) but going 15t would be a little too much power or too low cadence for my preference.
You should adjust the trainer resistance settings to suit that.
Old 10-22-20, 01:13 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked 2,449 Times in 1,432 Posts
TTT Thursdays at Fiesta. 31’ for 20K and a second 20K at 33’.
Likes For Hermes:
Old 10-22-20, 03:41 PM
ridethecliche
Batüwü Creakcreak

60 miles yesterday for my longest ride of the year.
144W AP, 174 NP, just a hair short of a 16mph average. 240 TSS. Everything after mile 50 was a huge drag and felt awful, but got 'er done.
Knee feels decent today. Foam rolled the F out of it after the ride.

Might raise the saddle up a little more. My natural cadence is a lot better with the seat set up more forward. I'll test it out on the kickr while watching a talk this evening.
Old 10-24-20, 08:14 AM
hubcyclist

even more zwift racing, today was a little over an hour. Set all-time power PR from 30-40mins of 280 (95%) and 60min at 270 (272 NP, IF 0.92), kind of petered out the last 10mins, staying around 260, I tend to be more steady, but good effort today.
Likes For hubcyclist:
Old 10-24-20, 09:36 AM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Bikes: Affirmative

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
Planned a rest week around replacing my roof, but stripping shingle and carrying it to a dumpster isn't exactly chill (shocking)! Probably have 3 more days to go. I haven't done this sort of work since high school, so I'm enjoying it. Getting in all of my cross training for the year I guess!

A few 2-3hr rides this weekend to pretend I got in a good rest week, should bring me up to 8ish hours.

Training wise I'm in a really really good spot. I'm either at previous PB numbers or setting new ones between 10 and 90 minutes. Probably not so bad to back off for a week or two while doing some upper body ****.
Likes For TheKillerPenguin:
Old 10-26-20, 09:47 AM
cmh

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 327 Times in 161 Posts
Originally Posted by TheKillerPenguin
Planned a rest week around replacing my roof, but stripping shingle and carrying it to a dumpster isn't exactly chill (shocking)! Probably have 3 more days to go. I haven't done this sort of work since high school, so I'm enjoying it. Getting in all of my cross training for the year I guess!

A few 2-3hr rides this weekend to pretend I got in a good rest week, should bring me up to 8ish hours.

Training wise I'm in a really really good spot. I'm either at previous PB numbers or setting new ones between 10 and 90 minutes. Probably not so bad to back off for a week or two while doing some upper body ****.
Throw in opening and stirring a jar of natural peanut butter and you'll be a well rounded athlete!
Old 10-27-20, 01:39 PM
ridethecliche
Batüwü Creakcreak

So uh... i bent my chain on the trainer yesterday.

1.5 hrs into a 2.5 hr sufferfest workout. Was a good reason to pull the plug since I honestly didn't feel great on the bike and my cadence was shiet and holding any number felt bad. I thought I was doing okay after sleeping a bit on 24hr call sunday AM to Mon AM but I guess it caught up with me.

Meh. Need to take it a bit easy-ish with the fit changes anyway. Maybe I'll put the sufferfest stuff on hold for a bit and just zwift around to get some saddle time. I can always make a quick workout in zwift that does some tempo stuff in erg mode so i get some good in zone work done.
Likes For ridethecliche:
Old 10-29-20, 11:00 AM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
Good news and bad news.

The good news is I'm down 5 pounds. I want to lose 5 more to be at race weight for either racing or surgery.
The bad news is I tweaked my groin (again) so I really can't ride hard for a few days.

When I sleep on my side, it pushes my femur (leg bone) towards my groin and gets stuck. This time it was out for weeks, causing some back pain, and when it popped back, the muscles didn't like it. I've tried to fix this naturally for years, but I'm probably going to have to go under the knife and have been trying to get a Dr Appointment but its tough right now with COVID.
Likes For furiousferret:
Old 10-29-20, 12:08 PM
hubcyclist

hope you can get well ferret, sounds painful and beyond annoying!

I'm on a z2 week, I won't quite call it a recovery week because I'm not in a hole or anything. 2hrs tuesday, 90mins yesterday, 2hrs today, prob 1hr tomorrow, and maybe 4-6 over the weekend

starting sweet spot base HV on Tuesday, my CTL is 75, TSB -1 at the moment. With that and my current ftp (295, about 4.1/4.2w/kg), I might have wanted to target the Killington Stage Race in May, but they have postponed the Boston Marathon again, which I don't think bodes well for other competitive events (especially since road races fall under phase 4 of MA's reopening and we're very much still in phase 3, and I wouldn't be surprised if we rolled back given increases)
Likes For hubcyclist:
Old 10-30-20, 11:27 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,568 Times in 973 Posts
Lotta run TSS this week. 10k Friday today. New PR, under 50min now. Nothing stellar, but into the 7's per mile for a flat 10k. Had a couple miles in there around 7:20. Nice.
Likes For burnthesheep:
Old 10-31-20, 07:46 PM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Bikes: Affirmative

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
Still roofing. Should be complete by the end of this coming week. Riding after carting **** to the dump trailer sorta feels like doing intervals after squats. **** is rough! Basically just treading water til next weekend.

Today was 2hrs of cleaning up shingles, 2hrs of riding with a pathetic 3x10 at threshy (felt way worse!) thrown in, and another hour of cleaning shingles up after. Maybe I'll be able to do a pull up or two by the time this is done. That would be neat.
Old 11-01-20, 09:58 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8194 Post(s)
Liked 8,870 Times in 4,402 Posts
Originally Posted by cmh
Throw in opening and stirring a jar of natural peanut butter and you'll be a well rounded athlete!
Shouldn't a cyclist get their girlfriend to do that?
Likes For big john:
Old 11-01-20, 11:21 AM
hubcyclist

Figured I'd try a ramp test today since I recently started using powermatch with Trainerroad (my hammer has been reading in the neighborhood of 15w below my assioma uno pedal). I'm still awful at the ramp test lol I stopped at 17.5min, needed 19.5 to break even, so it gave me a 266w ftp, which is especially funny when I can pretty easily get 275 avg for 60+mins As usual, I'm completely ignoring the assessment and taking myself to 300w for sweet spot base!
Old 11-01-20, 01:07 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

As of tomorrow I'm training again. Not sure what things will look like in 2021... hopefully some TTs at least to compliment virtual racing. I don't think mass-start can be expected to be full-bore in the southwest US quite yet, so VoS stage race and Tour de Murrieta omnium might not be on the table.

Totally slacked off this week, like 200 TSS total. But here's what I'm thinking for next:

M: 1.5 hrs on Zwift with SST up Epic KOM, threshold+ Fuego Flats reverse and z5/6 Zwift KOM to open up for FTP test
T: 1.5 hrs w FTP test on Fiesta Island
W: 3 hrs Zwift, not sure what yet
Th: off

Then 6-8 hours over the weekend, with one to two short rides and a big one Saturday. Starting nice and slow, next week will be a lot bigger.
Likes For TMonk:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.