Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

🤔 Do I actually need to carry a repair kit? 🤔

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

🤔 Do I actually need to carry a repair kit? 🤔

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-20, 07:41 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Don't be an entitled, lazy jerk. Do be self sufficient. The fact that you even see the need to post this question says a lot (in a negative way) about people these days. I'll bet you can't...or won't...change a flat on your car either.
Likes For cxwrench:
Old 10-24-20, 07:55 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Some people like to be self-reliant and even be in the position to help others, if need be. And others rely on the assistance of others. I guess it all comes down to what kind of person you are.
Likes For caloso:
Old 10-24-20, 08:04 PM
Smac61

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You can have a new tube installed and be back on the road typically in *way less time* than the cavalry can arrive...

Unless you really didn't want to ride in the first place, why wouldn't you carry some minimal kit?
Old 10-24-20, 08:18 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Originally Posted by Smac61
You can have a new tube installed and be back on the road typically in *way less time* than the cavalry can arrive...

Unless you really didn't want to ride in the first place, why wouldn't you carry some minimal kit?
Obviously new to the site but not new to cycling.

Welcome
Old 10-24-20, 08:19 PM
Thomas15
I think I know nothing.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 290 Times in 204 Posts
All of the club, organized and charity rides I participate in require that you carry at least a spare tube, patch kit, pump and basic tools. They, for the most part, request that you know how to use them. My favorite 65 mile charity ride requires a free bike inspection a few weeks before the event from an LBS.
Old 10-24-20, 08:29 PM
Smac61

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GlennR
Obviously new to the site but not new to cycling.

Welcome
Thank you.

Weird first post, I know. Lol...
Old 10-24-20, 08:31 PM
rollagain
Lopsided biped

Bikes: 2017 Day 6 Cyclone (the Buick); 2015 Simcoe Deluxe (the Xebec); Street Strider 3i (the not-a-bike); GreenSpeed Anura (the Black Swan)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked 160 Times in 97 Posts
I think I was probably about 8 years old when my big brother taught me how to change out a bike tube and patch it.

TortoiseAvenger, you were never a Boy Scout, were you?
Old 10-24-20, 08:35 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,243 Times in 621 Posts
I began changing flats when I was 10 y/o. Used a Screw Driver and the handle of a spoon.

Likes For 10 Wheels:
Old 10-24-20, 09:14 PM
rollagain
Lopsided biped

Bikes: 2017 Day 6 Cyclone (the Buick); 2015 Simcoe Deluxe (the Xebec); Street Strider 3i (the not-a-bike); GreenSpeed Anura (the Black Swan)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked 160 Times in 97 Posts
There's another factor about being prepared that the OP doesn't apprehend, and that's the possibility of being able to help someone else, which is more than enough reward for having lugged all those few ounces of extra gear around with you for so many miles.
Likes For rollagain:
Old 10-24-20, 10:10 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4349 Post(s)
Liked 3,986 Times in 2,661 Posts
I did one of these calls once on tour, I had a bit of a mental breakdown and couldn't continue, it was terrible. Luckily my friend made out quite well on this as she was taking a big trip and needed stuff, I gave her a $300 jacket and helped get her a bunch of other stuff she needed and bought her lunch and a whole bunch of other stuff. I really made it worth her while and thanked her repeatedly. I would not do that over something small like a flat fix, this was me unable to function and just getting hit with deep depression. You get one phone a friend, you better use it wisely.

If I had a friend who called me over a flat I would laugh for a while and hang up the phone. I can deal with a flat on a ride and minor mechanical stuff. If the bike becomes truly unrideable and unfixable then yeah sure I might call an über or if really desperate call a friend who I know is in the area and can help but honestly I would just try and figure things out on my own. If I could have dealt with the other problem myself I would have rather done that and continued on the tour but sadly I prepared in every way but mentally, I thought oh yeah I can do this easy. All I need to do is ride a bunch and camp, I love both those things. I got all the gear I need from past stuff and a few new things I got because I worked at an outdoor store so why not. However I didn't prepare my mind for the solo trip and where it might go if left unattended.
Old 10-24-20, 11:29 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2579 Post(s)
Liked 5,636 Times in 2,920 Posts
Have fixed dozens of flats on the road after I got stranded once on my Schwinn Varsity with nothing and a nice guy showed me what I needed to buy and fixed my flat. Since then have Carried all the necessities in my scrotal bag for years (patches, spare tube, irons, inflator, multitool, dollar bill) but now I have for the first time gone tubeless.

The tubes have Stan’s or something in them from the builder, but am at a loss of what to carry now. Yes still have CO2, inflator if I lose air and the multitool and irons, but what else do I need for a major gash the sealant won’t seal? Oh and I always carry my mobile phone in case I do need to make the call of shame as well as my AAA Plus card, which will pick me up and my bike.

Old 10-25-20, 12:36 AM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1974 Post(s)
Liked 1,298 Times in 630 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
but what else do I need for a major gash the sealant won’t seal?
A tube. Just like you'd carry with a tubed setup.
In the case of a severe gash, you'll obviously also want something to boot the tire with.

For small cuts that won't seal on their own, it can be useful to carry a plugging kit, like tire bacon.
Old 10-25-20, 02:42 AM
bwilli88 
Not lost wanderer.

Bikes: In USA; 73 Raleigh Super Course dingle speed, 72 Raleigh Gran Sport SS, 72 Geoffry Butler, 81 Centurion Pro-Tour, 74 Gugie Grandier Sportier

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 885 Post(s)
Liked 990 Times in 522 Posts
I do not want to be that PITA. I have an Acorn tool roll on all my bikes that I ride outside of my small city here in Cambodia. I also take tools to not only fix or adjust my bike but have stopped and helped many others.

Last edited by bwilli88; 10-25-20 at 06:08 AM.
Old 10-25-20, 04:20 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
I think the reality is that the vast majority of people do not carry anything to fix anything on their bike - and probably would not know how to fix anything, anyway.

They get by with calls for rides and people who actually bother to carry what is needed.

At least 75% of the time my tool kit or spare tube comes out, it is for someone else.

So its fine. Just let others take care of you and pick up your slack.
Old 10-25-20, 04:33 AM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
Asking someone to abandon whatever it is they may be doing to help you when you could have easily been prepared to handle the situation yourself? Entitled and ethically challenged.
That’s impressive that you have never asked a friend, family member, or co-worker to help you with anything because you knew exactly how to do it yourself.
When you first bought a computer or smartphone you never asked someone to help you out with it?
How about cars? You never had someone other than a paid mechanic help you with any type of maintenance or repair?
Damn.
Your entire adult life you prepared yourself to fix anything that you ever encountered or paid a professional to do it. You never ‘phoned a friend’
My hats off to you sir
For the record, anytime you ask someone to help you in any way, shape, or form they are abandoning something else. Even if that something else is nothing more than relaxing on the couch.

Last edited by downhillmaster; 10-25-20 at 04:45 AM.
Likes For downhillmaster:
Old 10-25-20, 04:43 AM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
Originally Posted by downhillmaster
That’s impressive that you have never asked a friend, family member, or co-worker to help you with anything because you knew exactly how to do it yourself.
When you first bought a computer or smartphone you never asked someone to help you out with it?
How about cars? You never had someone other than a paid mechanic help you with any type of maintenance or repair?
Damn.
Your entire adult life you prepared yourself to fix anything that you ever encountered or paid a professional to do it. You never ‘phoned a friend’
My hats off to you sir
Carrying a repair kit is just common sense.
Likes For Lemond1985:
Old 10-25-20, 04:46 AM
downhillmaster

Originally Posted by Lemond1985
Carrying a repair kit is just common sense.
It may be, but asking someone to help you out is not unethical. That was my point.
Old 10-25-20, 04:51 AM
downhillmaster

I have only had a handful of flats but I have always walked my bike home or called a family member or friend. I currently carry a kit in my saddle bag even though I will probably never use it.
I specifically only ride within 15 miles or so from my house and live in a populated area so I have that luxury.
If I ever decided to venture out much further I would certainly get more adept at general repairs.
Old 10-25-20, 05:03 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Damn.
My hats off to you sir
For the record, anytime you ask someone to help you in any way, shape, or form they are abandoning something else. Even if that something else is nothing more than relaxing on the couch.
You just skip over the "you could have easily been prepared to handle the situation yourself" part. Personally, I'm going to get annoyed with someone whose plan A is to waste a bunch of my time because they don't want to bother with a very small amount of preparation. Something unforeseeable or difficult for the person to deal with themselves I'm happy to help, and I might pick up a newbie rider with a flat if they asked me once, but there won't be a second time. It's just too foreseeable and easy to deal with.
Old 10-25-20, 05:15 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,473 Times in 1,834 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
Asking someone to abandon whatever it is they may be doing to help you when you could have easily been prepared to handle the situation yourself? Entitled and ethically challenged.
Damn.
My hats off to you sir
Maybe we read this in very different ways.

As I read it, @shelbyfv didn't suggest that each of us had to be total and complete experts at every aspect of every field of endeavor in which a human might dabble ... s/he said that people should take care of themselves "when you could have easily been prepared to handle the situation yourself?"

So sure, when I needed heart surgery I called a surgeon. When I needed a certified electrician to install a water heater and a certified inspector to inspect the work, I didn't go to school to learn to be an electrician, get certified, then go to school to get my county code inspector's license.

On another hand, I put gas in my car before I go driving. I don't call my wife to come and rescue me because I simply can't be bothered to fill my own car, or to check the gas gauge.

shelbyfv isn't suggesting we should tow oxy and acetylene tanks and reweld our frames if they break (assuming steel frames, obviously.) S/he is suggesting carrying a spare tube and a couple tire irons and a mini-pump. Inflating this to include asking for Any kind of help, and then attacking the notion that anyone who asks for any kind of help is weak, .... is weak. I guess that might be the "straw giant" fallacy?

I crashed on a downhill run and hurt myself and my bike so badly neither of us could continue. A friend I was riding with, brought his car as close as possible to the trail and I limped/struggles to get out with the bike and my battered/torn/swollen body.

I got run over by a semi-trailer. My leg doubled in size in a few seconds. Someone called an ambulance, and I figured, "Yeah, might as well.)

Otherwise, I have fixed my bike enough to ride, or walked. Some of those walks were pretty long, but some of the time I didn't have anyone to call, and in all cases, I figured I would rather walk than take up someone else's time.

If I were too hurt, or too far from home where walking would take more than a couple hours, I would call---probably an Uber, because my wife works long shifts and odd hours. I haven't had to, but I am not all self-righteous about it. I have been lucky and I know it.

But yeah .... if I neglected Simple, cheap, and easy preparations which caused me to be a burden to others .... that would indeed be a fault and a failing.

Similarly, when people here ask for info, other people google it , and the person complains it wasn't the right info .... but won't google it him/herself. What's wrong with that person? Selfish, willfully ignorant, immature.

Kind of wonder if some people spent way too many years living in mom's basement, having her do the cooking, cleaning, and laundry while they called themselves adults and played video games and complained all day.

I can tell you this .... a few decades ago, a person (particularly male) who could not change a bike tire or change a car tire was considered lacking. It was understood then that adults took care of themselves when they could, and helped each other when it was needed. It was equally understood that people who did not take care of themselves had issues which needed addressing.

People were willing to pitch in and help if someone needed help, because no one would ask unless they really needed it. None of this "I can't be bothered to dress myself, put my clothes on me " stuff.

Society has made a lot of progress in how it treats people (and needs to go a long way further) but in some respects has really declined. The lack of personal responsibility, the search for the easy way out, the infantile dependence on some other person to handle the basic stuff .... it has hurt this nation.

One guy carrying an inner tube or not isn't going to ruin the world or save it. But if people really cannot understand why they should take care of themselves .... well, here we are, and not many people seem to be happy with where we are, and a lot of people seem to be worried about where we are headed.

One poster mentions that if you called for help, you should lay some cash on the person who came. This, to me makes sense. Much better to take care of yourself, but if you cannot, then A.) pay the price so you remember to do better next time and B.) don't act like everyone owes you, and should come rescue you because you foolishly didn't take care of your own business.

The idea that the OP seems to have, that his/her life is more important than everyone else's, is a pernicious failing of morality which is sickening our society. Other people are living their lives, and aren't calling this guy for help when it really shouldn't be needed .... but he has no problem yelling for mommy when he fails to prepare. Yes, I see that as an ethical and moral failure.

Of course, this is probably just a troll thread, designed to keep us typing instead of riding. Whatever.

/rant off

Last edited by Maelochs; 10-25-20 at 05:20 AM.
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 10-25-20, 05:41 AM
taylorgeo

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by GlennR
Doesn't take up that much room

This is all i carry and I go on many 50+ mile solo rides.

Most shops have basic mechanic classes for free or a few dollars. If you're doesn't, then suggest they do it.
Hey, in what situation would you choose the repair kit over replacing the tube while out on a ride? Can you also recommend a good multi-tool?

Thanks!
Likes For taylorgeo:
Old 10-25-20, 06:38 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3665 Post(s)
Liked 5,414 Times in 2,752 Posts
I have only had a handful of flats but I have always walked my bike home or called a family member or friend. I currently carry a kit in my saddle bag even though I will probably never use it.
I specifically only ride within 15 miles or so from my house ....
I really wasn't addressing a situation like this where someone might have physical or other limitations. As was pointed out previously, fixing a flat for most cyclists is more akin to pumping gas than heart surgery. It's good that you carry the repair essentials, even if you are unable to use them. I and most others are happy to help another rider who genuinely needs assistance.
Old 10-25-20, 06:38 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1068 Post(s)
Liked 784 Times in 504 Posts
Originally Posted by taylorgeo
Hey, in what situation would you choose the repair kit over replacing the tube while out on a ride? Can you also recommend a good multi-tool?

Thanks!
After you already replaced the tube from the flat you got moments before.
Likes For OldTryGuy:
Old 10-25-20, 06:48 AM
CargoDane
Not a newbie to cycling

Bikes: Omnium Cargo Ti with Rohloff, Bullitt Milk Plus, Dahon Smooth Hound

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 199 Posts

Thanks!
Okay, you didn't ask me, but thought I'd give my answer too:
Unless it's pouring down with no cover anywhere, I always opt for patching the tube. Most people choose the fresh tube first. I like patching what I have then and there, rather than having to patch when I get home.
Likes For CargoDane:
Old 10-25-20, 06:52 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts

Thanks!
If it's your second flat and you only carry on tube.

My multitool is made by "Pro" which is a Shimano brand.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.