Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Thirsty koala approaches cyclists and chugs their water

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 12-30-19, 11:23 AM
Gconan

Bikes: Norco search xr

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 90 Posts

Last edited by Gconan; 12-30-19 at 11:30 AM.
Old 12-30-19, 12:13 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1524 Post(s)
Liked 1,513 Times in 906 Posts
That last scene had me wincing. Poor things.

Global climate change FTW!
Likes For Korina:
Old 12-30-19, 12:30 PM
Notso_fastLane

Bikes: 2011 Bent TW Elegance 2014 Carbon Strada Velomobile

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 701 Times in 418 Posts
Poor thing.

I remember the time I was hiking out of the Grand Canyon and some people, well dressed, the woman was wearing heels!! They were about ~1 mile down the Bright Angel trail. No hats, no water, no actual hiking preparation. I'm not sure how far they thought they were going, but I stopped them and gave their dog as much water as he could drink, and recommended they turn around (I didn't offer them any, I wanted them to turn back). They stood there for a minute, but eventually started back up the trail.

The dog didn't know any better, the people did. Glad these people could help that poor koala!
Likes For Notso_fastLane:
Old 12-30-19, 12:35 PM
Tamiya

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Koalas are in bad shape. Oz is in midst of catastrophic bushfires, these summer fires are more ferocious than ever seen before & they're even burning again areas that got burnt in spring few mths ago. Gumtrees are gone, koalas are starving and when the emancipated animals get desperate enough to climb off the trees seeking water they get attacked by hoards of ticks which suck them dry.

Sydney & canberra are shrouded in bushfire smoke and even in Melbourne we've got fires in Gippsland (a few hours out) to Bundoora (30mins from CBD!!).

Melbourne heatwave too. Luckily after one Monday of 43degC it's cooling down to 20+ tomorrow with some patchy rain currently. But Sydney won't be as lucky, sounds like it's 40+ all week.
Old 12-30-19, 01:54 PM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 1,254 Times in 724 Posts
This was from 2009.
Old 12-30-19, 02:43 PM
bpcyclist

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked 364 Times in 227 Posts
Heartbreaking what is happening down there.
Old 12-31-19, 02:10 PM
Bikewolf

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 24 Posts
Indeed, heartbreaking. Heartbreaking everywhere.

//
Up to 500 million mammals, birds and reptiles – including 8,000 koalas – have been killed, say ecologists from Sydney University, prompting fears entire species of animals and plant life may be lost for ever.

More than 300 baby flying foxes have been abandoned by their mothers trying to survive, experts said.

Jenny Packwood, a wildlife rescuer, told the Herald: “Mothers are abandoning babies at two weeks after birth because there is no food for them. Last week we had 300 come in, and we’ve been flat out feeding since then.

“I’ve never seen anything like this before – we’re calling it a starvation event.”
//

[ https://news.yahoo.com/australia-fir...l?guccounter=1 ]

Last edited by Bikewolf; 01-01-20 at 01:48 PM. Reason: incoming relevant info
Old 01-03-20, 12:12 PM
smoore

Bikes: Primary ride now a LOOK 585-Love it.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 40 Posts
All very, very sad. Happy to see that firefighters from the US and other countries are down there trying to help.

I wonder if anyone is working on some new way to fight these fires that seem to be getting much more common? I have no idea what that would be, but some chemical, a new way to disburse water and chemicals, using a bomb to suck up all the oxygen? Hey I'm not a scientist...but problems eventually spawn solutions. I hope.

Last edited by smoore; 01-03-20 at 01:42 PM.
Likes For smoore:
Old 01-03-20, 12:40 PM
bpcyclist

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked 364 Times in 227 Posts
December 2019 was the 4th driest December on record at the PDX airport. After this keeps happening again and again and again, there are bound to be consequences. I am no climate expert by any means, but at least where I live, there is zero question that the climate is changing. That said, I haven't been down under in years, but I used to spend maybe a month there each year working, more often than not, in the(ir) summer. There were always bad fires.
Old 01-03-20, 12:47 PM
Tamiya

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Bushfire has burnt 15,000,000 acres so far

Originally Posted by smoore
I wonder if anyone is working on some way to fight these fires that seem to be getting much more common? I have no idea what that would be, but some chemical, a new way to disburse water and chemicals, using a bomb to suck up all the oxygen? Hey I'm not a scientist...but problems eventually spawn solutions. I hope.
its a big fight against Mother Nature

CFA already doing aerial bombing with aircraft ranging from little single engine cropdusters to a pair of 737s!! They pickup water from ponds & dams and add fire ******ant.

trouble is, we haven't had any decent rain for months (some areas drought for years) and everything is dry as tinder. Humidity is down to 10%!!

Native flora is also naturally waxy, eg gumtrees eucalyptus. In the heatwave they will gas off a volatile vapour... and this is what burns fast & runs ahead even faster... 30km/hr. Giant fireballs 500m across.

In recent years councils have supposedly stopped backburning under some new greenie initiative. So there's huge buildup of fuel on the ground just ready to catch fire.

It's the Perfect Storm.
Old 01-03-20, 12:49 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 15,301 Times in 7,232 Posts