Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Buying a Bike Online Questions?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-20, 07:59 PM
LSUFANDAN

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts

Just wondering how this works. I know the forums prefer people to go to a local LBS and try bikes out. I agree that is a sound policy. Buying a bike online is kind of like buying a car without a test drive. Plus the size charts say I need a 58cm being that I am 6'1" tall but I may actually prefer a different size. I did try to call my LBS's in my area to see what they had and none had any road bikes in my size. I could have traveled a few hours to a bigger city but didn't. The deal is done and I pulled the trigger on a bike. This is my first major bike purchase. I went with a 2021 Specialized Diverge(the one i picked is now sold out online). When I made the purchase Specialized does not ship to my house. They ship to one of the local bike shops they says is a authorized dealer. Email says I will receive notification when its shipped to the LBS with tracking. Should I contact the LBS I picked to let them know or does LBS receive notification from Specialized? The email also says that purchases over $600 require a signature when delivered. If nobody is at the LBS it will be held at Fedex for up to 5 days. If they attempt a delivery and nobody is at the LBS am I required to go to Fedex to get it? If the package is delivered it says I will reciever notification that the LBS got the bike and give it 6 to 8 days for assembly. So Specialized is paying my local LBS to build the bike or am I required to pay the local LBS once they get done building it? After that it says I'll receive notification to pick it up. The local bike shop should help me set it up for my size? Do people tip the bike shop? Im sure I will think of something else and edit later lol.
Old 05-18-20, 08:40 PM
HerrKaLeun

Bikes: Giant Toughroad SLR1 and Motobecane Sturgis NX

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 168 Posts
You shouldn't be responsible for anything except picking it up from LBS. They should receive it and assemble it.That is what they get their 30% for. And in your case they don't have any holding and salescost cost and didn't need to give a discount. Win for them.

If it takes long, you may want to call them.
Likes For HerrKaLeun:
Old 05-18-20, 11:23 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4332 Post(s)
Liked 3,955 Times in 2,644 Posts
So how the Specialized Click and Collect program works is, you buy the bike online and then it goes to the shop and the shop receives notification that they have an incoming order. They should build that bike and let you know it is ready and then you go pick it up and you shouldn't need to pay. However you may considering giving them a call just to make sure they have your email. I don't believe Specialized captures email as they should (or at least our person who handles all of the C and C stuff doesn't add it in) however be nice and understand their are going to be delays. Specialized might tell you it will be ready in a day or two but at least around me all shops are busy, a few have even stopped taking in bikes because they are full up and we are getting close to that and delays are heavy even as we are trying to find more staff.

Bike shop employees do appreciate tips. One of my co-workers got $100 dollars from a customer he helped out recently and he was over the moon. We are all struggling right now some with money and for us stress and abuse and a little show of appreciation is never a bad thing. Even if it is just a thank you and a quick acknowledgement of us risking our lives to help everyone out during this crisis.

One thing I really appreciate these days is when people wear mask and gloves and don't hover around me (inside everyone is required to wear mask and gloves but they still like to hover and I back up and they move forward like some terrible dance). 3 months into the crisis in the U.S. people are still like "well I don't need to wear one because I am special."

Enjoy the new bike.

Last edited by veganbikes; 05-20-20 at 07:59 PM.
Likes For veganbikes: