Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

which inner tube for my 28m tyres?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-20, 11:01 AM
benjamin163

Bikes: Hoy Shizuoka, Condor Acciaio

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts

Hello,
I have 28mm tyres and I've noticed that there are two different inner tubes which both say they fit.
One is 20-28mm.
The other
is 28-35mm.
(pic attached)
I must say they both look pretty identical so I'm wondering whether it really matters but I always get useful answers on here so I'd be interested to know if it was better to use a tube that is the maximum width stipulated for the tyre or the minimum width, or if it really matters at all.
Any help gratefully received.
Old 08-28-20, 11:47 AM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Liked 229 Times in 181 Posts
Any 700C tube that includes the diameter of your tire will work satisfactorily. I purposely buy tubes for my 700C X 23C tires that say 18-23 mm rather than 23-28 mm because I find it easier to mount the tube inside the tire that way. In a pinch, either tube would be OK but the larger one more difficult to mount successfully.
Likes For VegasTriker:
Old 08-28-20, 12:02 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Both will fit and it really doesn't matter. Both expand to fill the volume of the tire. In my experience, it's better to go on the small side because it's easier to fit the uninflated tube in the tire without bunching or folding it.
Likes For caloso:
Old 08-28-20, 05:47 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
I've been getting the 28-35's for my 28 mm tires. Sure, rubber stretches, but it's under greater stress if it's stretched out more, and thins out. I've had more problems with undersized tubes, including the dreaded leak at the base of the Presta stem. There must be a reason why there are different widths of tubes.
Likes For Gresp15C: