Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Thru Axle Torque

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Thru Axle Torque

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-20, 08:43 AM
RowdyTI

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Thru Axle Torque

I asked HardLite why their thru axles specify 8 to 10 NM torque versus Maxle Stealth's at 9 to 13.5 NM, and I was told the axles are the same material, but they don't think it's necessary to tighten as much as Maxle suggests. They say theirs can be tightened that much, however.

If you think about the variation between 8 NM and 13.5 NM, that's quite a range.

Also read:
Well over a year ago, a trusted(hmm) mech told me that most folks tighten their TA's too tight and cause hub bearing issues and that they just needed to be nicely snug.
Old 08-31-20, 09:15 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6192 Post(s)
Liked 4,807 Times in 3,316 Posts
Well what do you think about the range of 9 to 13.5 given by Maxle? That's still quite a range. At least the other is more narrower and will probably not have you over-tightening which many times is much worse.

Generally I'll use the lowest I can get away with. There are some things I've never even torqued to the specified range. If they ever loosen, I'll know about it and can then say "duh, I should have tightened it more".
Old 08-31-20, 09:33 AM
RowdyTI

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
At least the other is more narrower and will probably not have you over-tightening which many times is much worse
What's much worse about over-tightening a 20 mm thru axle? When I've taken off mine, I can see some of the threads have never been engaged. Remember it's a big burly bolt. My generic thru axle made by Formula says max torque of 11 NM. I had a mechanic go as tight as he could get it with a triangle bike tool, and like I say even some of the threads have never been engaged. Big thick 1.75 mm threads as well.

When I was tightening the thru axle using just a regular hex screwdriver, as tight as I could go with that (but with ample anti-seize on the threads), I don't think I was getting it tight enough because once I would take any leveraged tool to the bolt, it would tighten some more very easily. YET it was not loosening any during my rides at that level of under torque. However, it may have resulted in some warping of the disc due to minute play. Someone also said he likes his rear thru axle very tight because it stiffens up the frame in that area. He said if it's not tight enough the rear triangle can feel sloppy.

BTW, I do notice my wheel doesn't roll as well in the stand when I tighten up the thru axle beyond what I can do with a high quality Wera hex screwdriver. Is there a way to adjust the preload on the catridge bearings so I can make it tighter without side loading the bearings as happens when the TA is more torqued? I did read something corroborating what I quoted there ("Well over a year ago, a trusted(hmm) mech told me that most folks tighten their TA's too tight and cause hub bearing issues and that they just needed to be nicely snug.") about side load from tight axles causing fast wearing of the bearings.

Last edited by RowdyTI; 08-31-20 at 09:39 AM.
Old 08-31-20, 09:40 AM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,966 Times in 1,915 Posts
Minimum possible for tightening is how I set it.
Old 08-31-20, 11:51 AM
jp911

Bikes: Trek Madone 5.2 Dura Ace, Niner RLT9 aluminum, Santa Cruz 5010 CC, Niner Air 9 rigid 29er, Trek Farley alloy

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 36 Posts
Aluminum threads scare me (just begging to be stripped or marred...especially fine pitch). I go on the low end of the torque range.
Old 08-31-20, 01:21 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3662 Post(s)
Liked 5,409 Times in 2,748 Posts
Wow! I can hardly believe OP's obsession with his thru axle torque has surfaced again. He was doing so well for awhile... I believe this is about the 10th thread where he's gone on about it. Guess I'll have to take the other guys advice and update the iggy list.
Likes For shelbyfv: