Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Mechanical 12 speed road group set

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-20, 07:31 PM
Melvang

Bikes: Kona Roast, Cannondale R500 CAAD4

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 23 Posts

Am I correct in that Campagnolo has the only fully mechanical 12 speed road group set on the market right now?

Also, would anyone happen to know if there is any way to mix up Sram and Campy to get a mechanical 12 speed road group set with Sram's AXS cassette that goes down to 10 tooth and their flat top chain?
Old 08-31-20, 07:39 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Talk to Dave, he seems to know a lot about Campy 12 speed.

https://www.bikeforums.net/members/davesss-142522.html
Old 08-31-20, 07:48 PM
Melvang

Originally Posted by GlennR
Talk to Dave, he seems to know a lot about Campy 12 speed.

https://www.bikeforums.net/members/davesss-142522.html
Thank you, I sent him a message.
Old 08-31-20, 09:23 PM
Mulberry20

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 136 Posts
I am guessing it won’t work because SRAM spacing is fixed whereas Campy cassette spacing is variable. If it does I imagine it would be noisy.

Campy does have an 11/34 cassette.
Old 08-31-20, 09:33 PM
Melvang

Originally Posted by Mulberry20
I am guessing it won’t work because SRAM spacing is fixed whereas Campy cassette spacing is variable. If it does I imagine it would be noisy.

Campy does have an 11/34 cassette.
From what I have read, the campy uneven spacing ceased when they moved from 10 to 11 speed. With 12 speed being the same width as 11, there can't be enough space to have that much difference.

Plus, the AXS cassette goes down to a 10 tooth for and has 8 gears with a single tooth spread vs seven the Campy group set.

Last edited by Melvang; 08-31-20 at 09:40 PM.
Old 09-01-20, 09:11 AM
Mulberry20

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 136 Posts
Originally Posted by Melvang
Am I correct in that Campagnolo has the only fully mechanical 12 speed road group set on the market right now?

Also, would anyone happen to know if there is any way to mix up Sram and Campy to get a mechanical 12 speed road group set with Sram's AXS cassette that goes down to 10 tooth and their flat top chain?
Is this for a gravel bike by any chance? Campy is going to launch a 13 speed gravel groupset this month with a 9 tooth ultra-wide cassette and a non-linear derailleur to make shifting much faster and smoother. It is called Ekar.
Likes For Mulberry20:
Old 09-01-20, 10:04 AM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1247 Post(s)
Liked 1,321 Times in 673 Posts
From Weight Weenies:

Now for measurements... I took some calipers and measured (in inches, sorry!) the cassette total width, spacing, overhang, and cog width.

The Campagnolo measures 1.610" from outside-to-outside of the cogs. Each cog is about 0.057" thick with 0.080" of spacing between them (the "about" is because of the machined profile). The 11-tooth cog--like the 11 speed versions--will "fit into" the 12-tooth cog slightly.

The SRAM measures 1.631" from outside-to-outside, so it is a hair wider than the Campagnolo. The cogs are slightly wider at 0.070 for the 28-tooth aluminum gear to 0.062 for the steel ones. The spacing between cogs is also uniform.

Conclusion? We're looking at a 0.021" delta over the width of 12 cogs, or about 0.5mm. I think this is within the tolerance of bicycle components and that the standard EPS adjustments will make it work.
Likes For Atlas Shrugged:
Old 09-01-20, 11:33 AM
Melvang

Originally Posted by Mulberry20
Is this for a gravel bike by any chance? Campy is going to launch a 13 speed gravel groupset this month with a 9 tooth ultra-wide cassette and a non-linear derailleur to make shifting much faster and smoother. It is called Ekar.
Nope, pure road bike. Max tire clearance is 25. I *might* be able to fit some 28s, but probably only with the correct rims.
Old 09-01-20, 11:34 AM
Melvang

Originally Posted by velopig
From Weight Weenies:

Now for measurements... I took some calipers and measured (in inches, sorry!) the cassette total width, spacing, overhang, and cog width.

The Campagnolo measures 1.610" from outside-to-outside of the cogs. Each cog is about 0.057" thick with 0.080" of spacing between them (the "about" is because of the machined profile). The 11-tooth cog--like the 11 speed versions--will "fit into" the 12-tooth cog slightly.

The SRAM measures 1.631" from outside-to-outside, so it is a hair wider than the Campagnolo. The cogs are slightly wider at 0.070 for the 28-tooth aluminum gear to 0.062 for the steel ones. The spacing between cogs is also uniform.

Conclusion? We're looking at a 0.021" delta over the width of 12 cogs, or about 0.5mm. I think this is within the tolerance of bicycle components and that the standard EPS adjustments will make it work.
Thanks, this is exactly what I am looking for.
Old 09-01-20, 04:04 PM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1097 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 446 Posts
I've been using Campy chorus 12 for over a year. It works with an axs chain. Campy is only brand making a 12 speed mechanical group. I got my complete groups from pinkjersey.com I recently tried a SRAM 10-36 cassette with the campy 12 drivetrain and it worked great, but does require a 1 inch longer chain than recommended for the Campy 11-34. Campy has specific chain length requirements, depending on chain stay length. With 406mm chain stays, a 55 inch chain is needed. The change to a SRAM cassette required very little readjustment of the RD. Those who have taken accurate measurements of the two cassettes have found that the 12 speed cassette spacing is closer, between the brands, than 11 speed.

I also recently switched to SRAM force axs electronic about 3 weeks ago, but use my campy 48/32 crank and rim brakes. I converted my campy zonda wheels to sram with an xdr freehub body that cost $65 from competitive cyclist. The 48/32 crank is the only one that makes much sense with SRAM's 10T first sprocket. The 48/10 gear is the same as a 53/11.

Last edited by DaveSSS; 09-01-20 at 04:59 PM.
Likes For DaveSSS:
Old 09-01-20, 06:21 PM
Melvang

Originally Posted by DaveSSS
I've been using Campy chorus 12 for over a year. It works with an axs chain. Campy is only brand making a 12 speed mechanical group. I got my complete groups from pinkjersey.com I recently tried a SRAM 10-36 cassette with the campy 12 drivetrain and it worked great, but does require a 1 inch longer chain than recommended for the Campy 11-34. Campy has specific chain length requirements, depending on chain stay length. With 406mm chain stays, a 55 inch chain is needed. The change to a SRAM cassette required very little readjustment of the RD. Those who have taken accurate measurements of the two cassettes have found that the 12 speed cassette spacing is closer, between the brands, than 11 speed.

I also recently switched to SRAM force axs electronic about 3 weeks ago, but use my campy 48/32 crank and rim brakes. I converted my campy zonda wheels to sram with an xdr freehub body that cost $65 from competitive cyclist. The 48/32 crank is the only one that makes much sense with SRAM's 10T first sprocket. The 48/10 gear is the same as a 53/11.
Thank you so much for the reply. If I am picking up what you are putting down, so long as the shifters and derailleurs match, I can mix and match cassettes and cranks from campy and Sram assuming all 12 speed.

If this works, it means I can get exactly what I am looking for. The 10-26 cassette (really flat or gently rolling hills where I live) for really close gears, and not have to at for etap. Nothing against electronic gears, just not quite ready to pay that price tag and have yet something else on the bike that is battery-powered. And have that gorgeous looking flat top chain.

Not to worried about the freehub body as I will need to build up some new wheels anyway.
Old 09-01-20, 11:59 PM
Melvang

Originally Posted by DaveSSS

I would assume the cheapest way to get to where I am wanting to go would be just buy the full Chorus 12 speed groupset and then buy the Sram AXS cassette and chain separate, instead of breaking up the groupset mini discount?
Old 09-02-20, 06:14 AM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1097 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 446 Posts
Originally Posted by Melvang
I would assume the cheapest way to get to where I am wanting to go would be just buy the full Chorus 12 speed groupset and then buy the Sram AXS cassette and chain separate, instead of breaking up the groupset mini discount?
Probably, but it depends on how much you can get reselling the cassette and chain. The cassette usually goes for $185 and the chain about $50. Pink jersey was fair if you asked to skip a part or two from a group. I skipped the brakes on one of my groups.

Campy will eventually offer some cassettes starting with a 10T, but it will be awhile. They have the new freehub body ready to go with the new Ekar 1x13 group that has cassettes starting with a 9.

Last edited by DaveSSS; 09-09-20 at 02:46 PM.
Likes For DaveSSS:
Old 09-03-20, 04:20 PM
ShannonM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked 430 Times in 286 Posts
Random thought, probably wrong...

Given the tiny differences in cog spacing, maybe swapping out the upper pulley in the derailleur with one with a bit more float might be enough to make it work?

I've done this in the opposite direction... making 9-speed friction shifting work without ghost shifts by putting in Bullseye-type pulleys, which didn't have any lateral play. So maybe a 9 or 10 speed pulley would have a bit more float, enough to accommodate the difference in spacing?

--Shannon