Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Restoring a '55 Rudge Sports - Looking for Guidance

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 10-23-20, 02:29 PM
Rudgeboy

Bikes: My first bike was a 1957 Dunelt 3 Speed, Red with a black tool bag. I had a 14 speed Motobecane that I toured with extensively. Later with kids, I had a Bianchi Boardwalk which was fun. Now, I've picked up an old 1955 Rudge Sports to restore

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Hi folks. Just wheeled into my house a 1955 Rudge Sports. I want to restore it - not so much cosmetically as mechanically. It's had a bath and I have new tires. Rims and handlebars are kind of rusty and I'm looking for some best choices for dealing with that. Next step would be repacking the top and bottom brackets. I know I'm going to need some advice about that, as well, such as tools, correct ball bearings and cups, if needed, what type of grease - and of course, do I actually use grease on the bottom bracket since it has one of those covered oil spouts? Thanks so much. Matt

Ain't it enough to stop your heart.
Likes For Rudgeboy:
Old 10-23-20, 02:39 PM
markk900

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 634 Times in 336 Posts
She’s a beauty! Just go slow and read up a lot. Rust can be dealt with using an oxalic acid bath or just WD40 and very fine steel wool; the paint will likely respond well to elbow grease and some nice polishes, etc. Read up on Dynohubs before you take it all apart - it’s important not to separate the magnet from the hub.

Lubricating everything is pretty straightforward and will make a huge difference. Good luck and post photos!
Old 10-23-20, 02:52 PM
Rudgeboy

Bikes: My first bike was a 1957 Dunelt 3 Speed, Red with a black tool bag. I had a 14 speed Motobecane that I toured with extensively. Later with kids, I had a Bianchi Boardwalk which was fun. Now, I've picked up an old 1955 Rudge Sports to restore

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thank you! Are there any specific threads or forum areas that you might recommend? For a newcomer, this site is like diving into the Encyclopedia Britannica.
Old 10-23-20, 03:02 PM
BocaJr

Bikes: '71 Peugeot UO-8, '83 Trek 720, '81 Trek 412, '83 Trek 620, '72 Atala Competizione, '51 Raleigh Sports 'C' Tourist, '58 Raleigh Sports, '91 Bridgestone MB-1, '94 Specialized StumpJumper

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 19 Posts
Great find, with the original grips! That should clean up nicely

Originally Posted by Rudgeboy
Thank you! Are there any specific threads or forum areas that you might recommend? For a newcomer, this site is like diving into the Encyclopedia Britannica.
For the Love of English 3 speeds is a thread in the Classic & Vintage section with a wealth of information. Also, look up Sheldon Brown's website for servicing English Three Speeds. Good Luck!!
Old 10-23-20, 03:06 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7345 Post(s)
Liked 2,452 Times in 1,430 Posts
You got a gem. I have a 1962 Rudge Sports. I can't see but perhaps your chainring has the hand pattern on it, and if so, I envy you. See the 3-speed thread. Read a few pages before you post questions.

The headset takes 5/32" balls and the bottom bracket takes 1/4" balls. Grease is a good idea. Oil is good only if you're going to do it often. Any grease will do such as the kind you get an an auto parts store. Get new brake pads, too.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 10-23-20, 03:06 PM
Rudgeboy

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks, so much!
Old 10-23-20, 03:07 PM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3803 Post(s)
Liked 6,639 Times in 2,602 Posts
Yeah, bronze wool on the chrome bits (use with any sort of chrome polish if you need a bit more bite), white rubbing compound on the painted parts. Any sort of bearing grease will be fine though I do suggest replacing the bearings. Removing the crank cotters is likely the biggest challenge but lots of info on the internets, including on the Sheldon Brown piste referenced above.
Old 10-23-20, 03:09 PM
Rudgeboy

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks, Tom! Yes, it has the Rudge Hand Chainwheel. Only thing that I can't fathom is that some of the chromium has peeled off the inner side of the Dynohub. I'm wondering how to remedy that.
Old 10-23-20, 04:15 PM
3speedslow

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1942 Post(s)
Liked 1,068 Times in 636 Posts
Lovely machine you have brought to us! Crazy to throw something like that away.
Old 10-23-20, 05:02 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2296 Post(s)
Liked 2,046 Times in 1,253 Posts
It's a candidate for the black shoe polish treatment. De-rust, touch up if need be and apply multiple thin layers of Kiwi shoe wax, allowing to dry and then polish between coats. Usually stunning on a black Sports or Tourist.
I've got a '52 but it's not black.

BTW, I may have a decent '55 dynohub downstairs if you want me to look.
Old 10-23-20, 07:33 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26382 Post(s)
Liked 10,361 Times in 7,196 Posts
...I had that same Dunelt 3 speed when I was a kid. It came from Southeast Cycle Shop in Washington, D.C. I loved that bike, and rode it all over hell and gone. Someone stole it when my ship was in the yards in Charleston, SC. Someone gave one exactly like it to the bike co-op here a couple of years ago. I exercised great restraint and did not buy it.

That Rudge is, in almost every way, a better bicycle. The fork crown is kind of unique to Rudge, as opposed to the other Raleigh made, variously branded ones.
Old 10-23-20, 07:53 PM
Rudgeboy

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
55 Dynohub??? YOW! That would be phenomenal. Thank you! I haven't gotten to testing this one yet, but I am concerned with the chromium peeling.
Old 10-23-20, 08:02 PM
Rudgeboy

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Oh man. Bicycle thieves are the worst. They have no idea of the emotional damage they do. My Dunelt had an interesting story. Though my dad had a government job we never had enough to get new bikes, so every bike I got came from the outdoor lot at our Salvation Army. Most of these were beefy 24" steel bikes - think Rollfast 1950's. Anyway, as it turns out, there was a contest on TV called the Mr. X Contest where each week they would show you a tiny piece of the face of this mysterious Mr. X. Well after a few weeks, my dad, who was very sharp, said he knew who it was. To beat the odds, we sent hundreds and hundreds of postcards from all over the Tri-State (New York, New Jersey, Connecticut) area to the Mr. X Contest. Amazingly, we won $300 in the Chicago Spiegel Catalogue. Now, $300 in 1957 was like - I don't know a couple of grand or more. So, Dad says to me, look at the catalogue and get what you want. So, I turn to the bikes and there it is -- they called it an English Racer! (I know this is not pc around here). You cannot imagine the look on my face where the big brown UPS truck came up our street and dropped off that bike box. I always envied Rudge's -- but the Dunelt. That was my baby. If I could lay my hands on a red one with a black toolbag, I'd probably hang it on the wall and pray to it.
Likes For Rudgeboy:
Old 10-24-20, 05:34 PM
Rudgeboy

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Wow. Yes, thank you, if you have a '55 Dynohub. Let me know what you're asking for it. It looks like I'll be rebuilding the wheel so that would be fantastic! Matt
Old 10-24-20, 09:24 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Originally Posted by Rudgeboy
Wow. Yes, thank you, if you have a '55 Dynohub. Let me know what you're asking for it. It looks like I'll be rebuilding the wheel so that would be fantastic! Matt
Sure, give me some time. Full slate for a few days.
W
Old 10-24-20, 11:50 PM
Vintage Schwinn

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked 394 Times in 258 Posts
Several folks on the cabe DOT com have recently done 1950's era Rudge bicycles that are very much like yours. Here are a few threads that might be helpful. Though this first CABE link is about a 1951 Rudge Pathfinder, you will find a CABER known as (rollfaster, see june 9, 2019 reply..) who has worked on a 1957 model that is very similar to your 1955 model. https://thecabe.com/forum/threads/19...finder.153713/

CABER known as (harpo) has several Rudge bicycles like yours. https://thecabe.com/forum/threads/ru...er-one.133042/

info on determining year & model of Rudge:
https://thecabe.com/forum/threads/ru...-model.130452/
https://thecabe.com/forum/threads/ru...-frame.150404/

Lots of CABERS are also members here on bikeforums, but there are a large number of CABERS that are only on the Classic Antique Bicycle Exchange (thecabeDOTcom). The CABERS love riding their bicycles even more than collecting them,working on them and restoring them. It is a different style of riding than the typical modern road-warrior...........they love antique heavy steel bicycles with fancy doo-dads like tanks, rear carrier racks, full fenders, etc.........Like folks here on bikeforums, they usually have more than one bicycle, and they love to ride. They ride at very moderate cruising speeds and their clothing attire is radically different from the roadbike folks but they seem to have as much fun with their bicycles as is humanly possible.
Old 10-25-20, 08:53 AM
Rudgeboy

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Fantastic! Thanks so much!
Old 11-01-20, 06:57 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Hey Rudgeboy,
I do have a November '55 front Dynohub, 32 hole. The axle won't spin, it's gummed up so it's going to require a rebuild but the chrome is good, maybe very good. PM to discuss?
thanks
Old 11-01-20, 06:59 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

You've only got 8 posts so you can't pm. Say a couple more things. I'll send you a PM, not sure if you'll get it.
Old 11-01-20, 08:06 PM
Rudgeboy

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Hey thanks for the message! So... I as I mentioned, I am interested in the Dynonub you have. If the chrome is good, then I can rebuild the interior. I'm just getting
the cotters off and going to be repacking the brackets. I guess after that, I kind of wanted to get the wheels back in shape. Lots of surface rust on the spokes and rims. I haven't tested the current Dyno. Read something where you spin the wheel, and touch both terminals with a screwdriver to see if there is a spark. But I do think that a fully-chromed shell is probably better. So, I have no idea what it's worth, but I am certainly interested in seeing if it's something I can afford. Thanks. Matt
Old 11-01-20, 09:04 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

I'll get a quote from Canada Post to NYC. Money's not important. Post yes and then try to pm your address to me?
Old 11-01-20, 09:08 PM
Rudgeboy

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Yes!
Thanks
Old 11-28-20, 02:42 PM
Fusilier55

Bikes: '53 Rudge Whitworth Deluxe

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by clubman
It's a candidate for the black shoe polish treatment. De-rust, touch up if need be and apply multiple thin layers of Kiwi shoe wax, allowing to dry and then polish between coats. Usually stunning on a black Sports or Tourist.
I've got a '52 but it's not black.

BTW, I may have a decent '55 dynohub downstairs if you want me to look.
Just got myself a '53 Rudge and will try the shoe polish treatment myself. Thanks for the advice

Ron Carnegie
Virginia
1953 Rudge Whitworth
Likes For Fusilier55:
Old 11-30-20, 09:45 AM
Slowride79

Bikes: 50s, 60s, 70s Nottingham/Worksop bikes, becanes, Gitane, Bertin, Lion of Sochaux

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 120 Times in 75 Posts
Here is a thread on how to make your own cotter pin press to remove the crank.
https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...ter-press.html

Sheldon brown for lots of information on British 3 speeds repair.

Rust removal. with all respect, I would avoid OA bath; it eats all metal including chrome. Use evaporust instead for soaking small parts. Brass or bronze brushes/pads and wd40 for scrubbing items like rims /handlebars.

look on YouTube for RJ the bike guy videos for British 3 speed rebuilding pedals, wheel hubs , bottom bracket, headset, AW hub. Search under Raleigh .

For paint , first clean thoroughly before deciding; careful with polish and runbing compound ; you can remove decals and wear through paint easily; often less is best; if a lot of rust some have used boiled linseed oil ; look on the cabe for examples; others just clean and carnuba wax.

best tires available in this size are panaracer.

Picture showing ball bearings from 1950s Raleigh cycle maintenance handbook.

Nice bike, enjoy, and good luck!

Last edited by Slowride79; 11-30-20 at 09:57 AM.
Old 11-30-20, 11:42 AM
juvela

Mentioned: 415 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3803 Post(s)
Liked 3,324 Times in 2,170 Posts
-----

are wheel rims Dunlop stainless?

propstand appears it may be Shuresta

new/repro DARE handgrips are readily availble; this may be as close as you are going to get to what is on there...

if headset Raleigh pattern then information given above is accurate

if a Brampton with the floating U-races then it takes 1/8" ball

wonderful that it even comes with the frame pump

repack bottom bracket with grease, no need to ever use the lubrication fitting on the shell

getting "the hand" chainwheel is a definite plus, not all Rudge exhibit it

-----
Likes For juvela:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.