Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Enduro Bearing Question

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Enduro Bearing Question

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-19, 06:46 AM
DOS

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 56 Posts
Enduro Bearing Question

So kind of a silly question about packaging. I have over the years purchased Enduro bearings a few times from various online suppliers to include Amazon and Ebay sellers based in the US. Sometimes they come in packaging like the boxes in the pic, but the last couple of times — once from Amazon once from Ebay seller, they are in small ziplock bags with enduro label inside. Of late I have seen warnings about counterfeit bearings; should I be concerned about these bearings I have that came in zip lock bags or there is some innocuous explanation like that they are easier to ship and store this way for online sellers?
Old 11-15-19, 07:02 AM
'02 nrs

Bikes: 1938 claud butler,1983 Basso,teledyne titan,teocali super,nrs,1993 stumpjumper fsr,Paramountain,Paramount Buell(sold),4 banger,Zaskar LE,Colnago Master Ibex MTB,1987ish,.etc....

Quoted: 802 Post(s)
Liked 2,976 Times in 1,496 Posts
Fakes

Had the Amazon plastic baggies as well & sent them back.Amazon is known for counterfeiting,to include sunscreen.when in doubt send them back.https://www.enduroforkseals.com/
Old 11-15-19, 08:18 AM
mpetry912 
aged to perfection

Bikes: Dinucci Allez 2.0, Richard Sachs, Alex Singer, Serotta, Masi GC, Raleigh Pro Mk.1, Hetchins, etc

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 835 Post(s)
Liked 1,252 Times in 661 Posts
+1 Amazon is rife with fakes and "substitutions" now.

It is far from my first choice for any online purchases. Think before you click.

Also get your alexa and echo dot speakers out of your house ! those things are surveillance devices

Mark Petry
Bainbridge Island, WA USA

Last edited by mpetry912; 11-15-19 at 08:38 AM.
Likes For mpetry912:
Old 11-15-19, 02:20 PM
davidad

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 138 Posts
call or e-mail Enduro and ask them.
Old 11-15-19, 02:30 PM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 6.9, 1999 LeMond Zurich, 1978 Schwinn Superior

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1152 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 251 Posts
When Enduro sells direct, why would you buy from Amazon? Do you really think Enduro is going to sell these to distributors cheaply enough to significantly undercut their own store?
Old 11-15-19, 02:42 PM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Originally Posted by mpetry912
Also get your alexa and echo dot speakers out of your house ! those things are surveillance devices
I agree:

Old 11-15-19, 04:39 PM
DOS

Originally Posted by '02 nrs
Yeah, I went there first but $11.00 for shipping seemed a tad absurd for a couple of bearings
Old 11-15-19, 04:50 PM
DOS

Originally Posted by WizardOfBoz
When Enduro sells direct, why would you buy from Amazon? Do you really think Enduro is going to sell these to distributors cheaply enough to significantly undercut their own store?
I was buying other stuff and the Enduro shipping costs were high. Besides, Enduro bearings are available in lots of mostly reputable places at lots of prices, although generally within a few bucks either way, so I didn’t think twice about adding a couple of bearings to a larger order. I don’t care if I am buying excess stock from last year, which is often what you find on Amazon and Ebay (in addition to counterfeits apparently).
Old 11-15-19, 09:18 PM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Got it. It's easier to buy from Amazon. I'm surprised that Enduro doesn't make it easier/cheaper to buy directly.

I guess you put your finger on it: pay a little extra, you're sure you're getting the real stuff. Save a few bucks and you take a bit of a risk. I'd accept last year's bearing if I could save five bucks, too.
Old 11-15-19, 09:47 PM
AnkleWork

Bikes: old clunker

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 684 Post(s)
Liked 105 Times in 83 Posts
Is there such a thing as "last year's bearings" and why would they remove the packaging just to close them out?
Old 11-16-19, 06:41 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
Another thing you need to be carefull of on Amazon is unauthorized dealers. Many warranties require purchase from an authorized dealer.

I used to think that the requirement to buy from an authorized dealer was just a way to get out of warranty claims, but with all the counterfeit products out there, I can see why companies need to do that.
Old 11-16-19, 06:45 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

+1 Amazon is rife with fakes and "substitutions" now.

It is far from my first choice for any online purchases. Think before you click.

Mark Petry
That people would allow an always-on, internet-connected microphone in their house is crazy enough.

That they will actually PAY to have it is shear lunacy.
Old 11-16-19, 08:03 AM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Originally Posted by DOS
Yeah, I went there first but $11.00 for shipping seemed a tad absurd for a couple of bearings
Try normal. Amazon Prime has gotten people to forget exactly what shipping costs have risen to, now.
Likes For Marcus_Ti:
Old 11-16-19, 08:15 AM
DOS

Originally Posted by Marcus_Ti
Try normal. Amazon Prime has gotten people to forget exactly what shipping costs have risen to, now.
Thats not normal for such a small order being sent via regular shipping. I don’t mind paying shipping, but I could have taken those bearings to post office or UPS and shipped them for $3.00. Two day shipping for $4.50.

Anyway, I have had a couple of exchanges with The seller and Enduro and so far things are pointing to these being legit Enduro bearings,

but I have sent pics and am standing by for final resolution.
Old 11-16-19, 08:31 AM
DOS

Originally Posted by AnkleWork
Is there such a thing as "last year's bearings" and why would they remove the packaging just to close them out?
No idea. The listing for the ones I bought showed a pic of the standard packaging and the seemed to be a brick and mortar US bike shop with an online side business. So I was surprised by the Packaging.

Originally Posted by Kapusta
Another thing you need to be carefull of on Amazon is unauthorized dealers. Many warranties require purchase from an authorized dealer.

I used to think that the requirement to buy from an authorized dealer was just a way to get out of warranty claims, but with all the counterfeit products out there, I can see why companies need to do that.
Hard to tell who is authorized for a product as widely available as Enduro bearings. But I guess lesson learned is to go direct to a supplier site rather than route to small suppliers via Amazon or EBAY...Universal cycles, Wheels mfg, Modern Bike,Jensen, and others all seem to carry Enduro bearings, and Enduro directed me to Enduroforkseals, which is run by a company called RWC.

The site my bearings came from is called Send it! Bikes. They have a stand alone site and an EBAY presence as well, claim to have established the Cannondale Experts site, and are or used to be a Cannondale dealer in Utah. I previously have gotten baggie packaged Enduro bearings from an Ebay seller in New York called Abaxo.
Old 11-16-19, 09:17 AM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Canyon Endurace

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1041 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 540 Posts
Originally Posted by DOS
Thats not normal for such a small order being sent via regular shipping. I don’t mind paying shipping, but I could have taken those bearings to post office or UPS and shipped them for $3.00. Two day shipping for $4.50.
This is part of the problem. People tend to think of shipping in terms of how much the carrier is charging. I have managed several fulfillment operations and there is more than that. It's not as simple as walking over to a bin and pulling a part and dropping in it a box. Packing lists need to be printed, there needs to be a quality control component built into the process before it leaves the door. You need extra employees because you're shipping high volumes. Sending the wrong part or sending it to the wrong address opens up a can of worm. You end up with dissatisfied customers. Your customer people have to deal with this customer. Replacement parts need to be sent "express". In a large scale operation there are so many things that can go wrong.
Old 11-16-19, 11:01 AM
mpetry912 
aged to perfection

Bikes: Dinucci Allez 2.0, Richard Sachs, Alex Singer, Serotta, Masi GC, Raleigh Pro Mk.1, Hetchins, etc

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 835 Post(s)
Liked 1,252 Times in 661 Posts
The endless search for the "best deal" is a source of continual frustration and disappointment for those who pursue it. If you're buying plastic dog poop from china, fine. However, Enduro bearings are a premium product - if you are a prospective customer then, yes, you are probably not a value shopper that is looking for the best deal. Expect to pay accordingly. Frequently good deals can be found on ebay and shipping is often - not always - free.

I do agree that shipping charges frequently are used to pad margins. And shipping calculations in storefront software are ridiculously out of proportion.

Here's a story. I had a young guy working for me, he wanted a new watch so he could be a bigshot. He clicked on an ad for "best cheap rolex" and charged $499 to his credit card. When the item arrived I looked at and felt bad - I did not have the heart to tell him that he could have bought that watch for fifty bucks from a street vendor in Kowloon. Truly Nt Wrth Sht, and the poor guy had flushed his money down the toilet.

Mark Petry
Old 11-16-19, 02:24 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

The endless search for the "best deal" is a source of continual frustration and disappointment for those who pursue it. If you're buying plastic dog poop from china, fine. However, Enduro bearings are a premium product - if you are a prospective customer then, yes, you are probably not a value shopper that is looking for the best deal. Expect to pay accordingly. Frequently good deals can be found on ebay and shipping is often - not always - free.

I do agree that shipping charges frequently are used to pad margins. And shipping calculations in storefront software are ridiculously out of proportion.

Here's a story. I had a young guy working for me, he wanted a new watch so he could be a bigshot. He clicked on an ad for "best cheap rolex" and charged $499 to his credit card. When the item arrived I looked at and felt bad - I did not have the heart to tell him that he could have bought that watch for fifty bucks from a street vendor in Kowloon. Truly Nt Wrth Sht, and the poor guy had flushed his money down the toilet.

Mark Petry
The most incredible part of that story is that a young guy wanted a Rolex.
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 11-18-19, 05:32 PM
DOS

Had an exchange with Enduro where I asked if I should be concerned about counterfeits.

They responded: Saying only that "Any bearings purchased through Amazon and Ebay will not be honored with warranty." (Says nothing on their website’s warranty page about this, by the way).

But they did not answer my question about the bearings possibly being fake (I don't think they are, by the way).

So I followed up thusly: “Wow, I didn't know that. I won't buy Enduro from EBAY or Amazon anymore. But since I already have some bearings purchased that way, some follow up questions” (see Enduro responses in Red):

— You didn't answer my main question about the bearings I have. Should I be concerned that bearings I have are counterfeit? Is there any way to tell based on the packaging and UPC codes (see pics I sent)? I couldn’t answer this question without the bearing in hand. Packaging materials are not produced by us. We order packaging materials from a paper production company, so imitating packaging material is the easiest thing to do without us being able to tell if it’s from us or not.

—If they aren't counterfeit, how do unauthorized sellers get your bearings. Can they buy your bearings in bulk from distributors like QBP? We don’t have a list of dealers that our distributors sell to. We trust that they understand we do not allow for our products to be sold on eBay or Amazon. Sellers on those sites pop up from time to time so it is not easy for them to monitor.(I don’t why they forbid sales of their products on EBAY and Amazon).

—Of all the many entities selling Enduro bearings online, how do I know who are authorized and who are not? For example, any number of Amazon and EBAY sellers also have independent websites (Planet Cyclery for example).In other words, who are your authorized retailers, in addition to Wheels MFG and Enduroforkseals, from whom it is safe to buy bearings? We do not un-authorize or authorize retailers. We just simply restrict them from buying our products if we find that they are selling on third party websites. (So if I buy from a retailer's website, I am good but if I buy from the same retailer's ebay store, no warranty?)

So bottomline, in the future I will probably buy Enduro stuff from Enduroforkseals.com or Wheels MFG, but I am not particularly concerned that the bearings I have are no good. If they fail after I install them, I will update this thread.

and speaking of Wheels MFG, just bought a Wheels MFG bearing press...from Amazon because I had a gift card.I am not worried that its fake..
Likes For DOS:
Old 11-19-19, 11:17 AM
davidad

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 138 Posts
If you live in a large city or a place with a lot of industry you can find a business that sells good quality bearings.
Old 11-19-19, 11:45 AM
tomtomtom123

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 90 Posts
Misumi sells Japanese NTN bearings. normal P0 class for around $4, and precision P5 class for $10. Small miniature sizes are most likely made in Taiwan. They don't say exactly where, but TPI's website in Taiwan says its factory was jointly founded by NTN. I ordered a pair of P5 bearings and they came in really fancy extra large boxes (4 times the volume of the Enduro boxes) with security seals.

In the past, when I ordered Enduro bearings from the big retailers, they came in bubble mailers, which is a no-no. Those bearing races will get bent in the post. The Enduro bearings I used leaked a lot of grease.

Last edited by tomtomtom123; 11-19-19 at 11:49 AM.
Old 11-29-19, 08:18 PM
'02 nrs

Bikes: 1938 claud butler,1983 Basso,teledyne titan,teocali super,nrs,1993 stumpjumper fsr,Paramountain,Paramount Buell(sold),4 banger,Zaskar LE,Colnago Master Ibex MTB,1987ish,.etc....

Quoted: 802 Post(s)
Liked 2,976 Times in 1,496 Posts
best $$$?

$7.69 + free shipping.this retailer sells them in a sealed plastic wrap,org. box.