Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Anyone know about "Avitar" bikes?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-19, 01:05 PM
turtledove

Bikes: 2005 Specialized Dolce Elite, 19?? Avitar Expert

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts

I picked up this frame several months ago, and I've been doing various modernizations on it as I use it as an XC/bikepacking bike. But I really want to figure out when and where this bike is from!

The bike in question is a 4130 chromaly steel bike called an "Avitar Expert:" (Excuse the modern components in some of the pictures, there are pics of the original components that this came with.)

(imgur.com/mHHBEus.png)

with an Avitar logo on the bottom tube and Expert on the toptube. There is also an "Avitar" symbol on the headtube. It has a "Made in Taiwan" sticker below the bottomtube. The headset is a Tange UQ-8 Unique-x 1" threaded headset, and the wheelset is 26". There is a serial number below the bottom bracket, PH5021465.

As for parts, it's mostly Deore parts in fairly mint condition:

• Rear Derailleur: Shimano Deore (imgur.com/gmKLDAW.png)
  • Front Derailleur: Shimano Deore LX (imgur.com/4O4tNXS.png)
  • Crankarm: Shimano Deore

Chainring: Shimano Biopace HP, 3x7 speed overall (imgur.com/fnUzoWA.png)
  • Brakes: generic looking Suntour 2-finger levers (imgur.com/PCkD1V3.png) connected to Shimano SLR cantilevers (imgur.com/t1rH2ax.png)
  • Shifters: generic Grip Shift grip shifters
  • Stem: Generic threaded quill stem with nameless steel bar
  • Wheel Hubs: Shimano LX
  • Wheels: 26"
Some of the responses from someone else with this brand of bike, but this guy's geometry is a bit different (bikeforums.net/classic-vintage/1122142-avitar-expert-mtb-w-deore.html). Here are the other things I was able to find from Googling. Avitar is the name of a defunct parts distributor/maker based in California that was active before the mid 90s. However, I also read a forum post from someone claiming that Avitar was the brand name of Raleigh's bike parts, but I can't find anything to back up that claim.

Any and all ideas appreciated!