Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

We were so much slower then, we’re faster than that now.

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 07-09-19, 08:18 AM
since6

Bikes: Stevenson Custom, Stevenson Custom Tandem, Nishiki Professional

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 367 Post(s)
Liked 196 Times in 128 Posts

Yeah, I know dating myself :

Ah, but I was so much older then I'm younger than that now.

My Back Pages

Bob Dylan

But browsing today I came across this Schwinn Speedster, marketing at its finest the age of “Corvette” and “Speedster” bicycles, speed sells even at 50lbs apiece, and I was struck by its speedometer (note the low mileage).

It appears up to 30 mph was an OK green speed but from 30 to 60 mph there is a cautionary orange (faded red?).

Yeah, 6 to 12 I remember cruising on my Schwinn Corvette at 30mph….sure I do.
Likes For since6:
Old 07-09-19, 10:25 PM
old's'cool
curmudgineer

Bikes: 2 many 2 fit here

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 70 Posts
I think "DORCY" has a spelling error
Likes For old's'cool:
Old 07-09-19, 10:39 PM
sdn40

Bikes: 88 Cannondale Criterium

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 91 Posts
Ahhh, the good ole days when a kid would be mesmerized by that until running into the back of a parked car. Good times.

Now there's 20,000 apps for that and it's no big deal.
Likes For sdn40:
Old 07-09-19, 11:03 PM
scarlson 

Bikes: Ron Cooper touring, 1959 Jack Taylor 650b ladyback touring tandem, Vitus 979, Joe Bell painted Claud Butler Dalesman, Colin Laing curved tube tandem, heavily-Dilberted 1982 Trek 6xx, René Herse tandem

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 964 Post(s)
Liked 1,451 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by since6
I was struck by its speedometer (note the low mileage)
I had an antique garage-sale-find Schwinn Speedster when I was growing up in the '90s. My parents would not let me leave our suburban cul de sac to cruise the neighborhood, which I thought unreasonable as an 11-year-old, so I hatched a plan. I persuaded my dad to mount an old Huret Multito odometer to the front axle, and then I rode a century, around in circles in the cul de sac, over the course of two days.

They let me cruise the neighborhood streets after that. I wore out three or four Multito drive belts before I outgrew the bike.
Likes For scarlson:
Old 07-09-19, 11:15 PM
since6

sdn40, Yes!

I had just dropped off a weeks worth of books at the local library and picked up a few new ones riding my Schwinn Corvette, books held firmly in the mouse trap sprung front rack. Mind wandering as you do around 10 when "BANG" rode right into the bumper of a parked car and down we went. Got up, no books had fallen out of the rack and thanks to balloon tires and steel chrome bumpers neither the bike nor the car were damaged. Being a small town only my pride observed the event and that was soon pedaling away with a degree of heightened vigilance.
Old 07-10-19, 12:53 AM
jackbombay

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 457 Post(s)
Liked 462 Times in 270 Posts
Originally Posted by scarlson
I had an antique garage-sale-find Schwinn Speedster when I was growing up in the '90s. My parents would not let me leave our suburban cul de sac to cruise the neighborhood, which I thought unreasonable as an 11-year-old, so I hatched a plan. I persuaded my dad to mount an old Huret Multito odometer to the front axle, and then I rode a century, around in circles in the cul de sac, over the course of two days.

They let me cruise the neighborhood streets after that. I wore out three or four Multito drive belts before I outgrew the bike.
This, is fantastic, it will probably be the best thing I'll read for several weeks :-)
Likes For jackbombay:
Old 07-10-19, 04:10 AM
verktyg 
verktyg

Bikes: Current favorites: 1988 Peugeot Birraritz, 1984 Gitane Super Corsa, 1980s DeRosa, 1981 Bianchi Campione Del Mondo, 1992 Paramount OS, 1988 Colnago Technos, 1985 RalieghUSA SBDU Team Pro

Mentioned: 207 Post(s)
Quoted: 1036 Post(s)
Liked 1,237 Times in 653 Posts
BANG - Instant Deceleration!

I had just dropped off a weeks worth of books at the local library and picked up a few new ones riding my Schwinn Corvette, books held firmly in the mouse trap sprung front rack. Mind wandering as you do around 10 when "BANG" rode right into the bumper of a parked car and down we went. Got up, no books had fallen out of the rack and thanks to balloon tires and steel chrome bumpers neither the bike nor the car were damaged. Being a small town only my pride observed the event and that was soon pedaling away with a degree of heightened vigilance.
One morning back in 1976 I was headed off to school after cramming all night for my last final exam. Had to get there before they locked the doors to the lecture hall at 8:30am.

I was in a full head down sprint at 30+ MPH when 2 guys I casually knew drove past me in a car and waved.

They were hard core dopers doing a dope deal at 8:00am and they came to a quick stop right in front of me. When I hit their bumper I went flying up over their car and landed sprawled out on the hood. My glasses came off and got caught on the hood ornament. The impact as so violent that just about everything on the bike was trashed, somehow even the rear wheel!

They got out and weren't the least bit concerned about my condition. They were complaining about the minor damage that I did to their old Buick junker! Stoners at 8:00am!

I went to the ER that morning and the next day was able to talk the Prof into letting me take the exam at a later date. I needed that one last course to finish. He was a stickler for no exceptions, no excuses but with my 2 black eyes and a broken nose, he took pity on me.

Fortunately it was my trainer/around town beater bike with mid range components.

How to spot a serious cyclist after a spill:

1. Get up, look around to see if anyone saw you dump (avoid embarrassment)...
2. Check out the bike for any damage...
3. Check to see if you have any injuries!

verktyg

Chas. ;-)

Last edited by verktyg; 07-10-19 at 05:52 AM.
Likes For verktyg:
Old 07-10-19, 05:32 AM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 1,824 Times in 878 Posts
Originally Posted by verktyg
One morning back in 1976 I was headed off to school after cramming all night for my last final exam. Had to get there before they locked the doors to the lecture hall at 8:30am.

I was in a full head down sprint at 30+ MPH when 2 guys I casually knew drove past me in a car and waved.

They were hard core dopers doing a deal at 8:00am and they came to a quick stop right in front of me. When I hit their bumper I went flying up over their car and landed sprawled out on the hood. My glasses came off and got caught on the hood ornament. The impact as so violent that just about everything on the bike was trashed, somehow even the rear wheel!

They got out and weren't the least bit concerned about my condition. They were complaining about the minor damage that I did to their old Buick junker! Stoners at 8:00am!

I went to the ER and the next day was able to talk the Prof into letting take the exam at a later date. I needed that one last course to finish.

Fortunately it was my trainer/around town beater bike with mid range components.

verktyg

First and foremost, a wreck like that is not funny.

Second, you made me laugh out loud
Old 07-10-19, 08:04 AM
Mr. 66

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1134 Post(s)
Liked 1,726 Times in 950 Posts
Stoners saw my brother crash, when his brake straddle cable broke, into a shrubbery and he went flying. My bro said the reaction was, "whoa that was cool, can you do it again?"
Old 07-10-19, 08:23 AM
since6

verktyg, if only you'd had the "Dorcy 26" cycle speedometer. That morning at 30+ mph you had traveled out of the safe "green" 30 mph zone and entered the "red" (now faded orange) danger zone.

But glad you were not injured any worse than you were.
Old 07-10-19, 11:32 AM
crank_addict
Banned

Quoted: 1361 Post(s)
Liked 422 Times in 282 Posts
I like the sloooow pace, Summer nights through the neighborhood. Comical speedometer on this 1965 Sears (made in Austria by Steyr). Gen lighting works pretty good too at slow speed.

Last edited by crank_addict; 07-10-19 at 11:37 AM.
Old 07-10-19, 11:46 AM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 278 Post(s)
Quoted: 2192 Post(s)
Liked 4,571 Times in 1,758 Posts
Originally Posted by crank_addict

So, cruisin' ain't safe, eh?

Old 07-10-19, 12:39 PM
d_dutchison
Classic, Vintage Mechanic

Bikes: '65 Legnano Gran Primeo || '76 Holdsworth Mistral || '82 Specialized Stumpjumper

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 25 Posts
Ha! When I was a kid i spent my hard earned allowance on a plastic wind-driven speedometer. My older, wiser cousin was skeptical of its accuracy and refused to accept my claims of 40mph+, though I swear I cracked that speed every day on my way to school on my single speed CCM clunker.
Old 07-10-19, 01:59 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4501 Post(s)
Liked 6,367 Times in 3,663 Posts
Originally Posted by scarlson

Absolutely brilliant, pure genius.
Likes For merziac:
Old 07-10-19, 02:42 PM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2356 Post(s)
Liked 1,743 Times in 1,187 Posts
Originally Posted by verktyg

21st-Century version - 2a. Check to make sure you caught the whole thing on your GoPro.

Few years ago, a perfect "stoopid things happen in threes" trilogy. Saturday of Art Fair weekend, 23823432 wandering tourists (give or take) in town.
1) State Street (our "no car" downtown retail street) is torn up for construction but still bustling. Crosswalk for W Johnson St is diverted by 50 feet or so. W Johnson is one-way eastbound with a left-side bike lane (buses use the right side). Wife and I are in the bike lane, bunch of tourists are crossing, AGAINST the signal, and for whatever reason, looking east rather than west as they cross. We slow down, we slow down, we nearly stop, and one young blonde just walks into my front wheel. We both get up and are fine, and I say, as nicely as I can, that the traffic IS coming from the west....
2) 10 minutes later, W Gorham St just off State, car on Gorham stops for more wandering tourists, car behind just plain doesn't notice, rear-ends the first car square on. Low speed, but a LOUD bang, minor but obvious damage to both cars. Lady in the car behind yells "YOUR CAR'S FINE" to the one ahead. Yeah, sure....
3) 20 minutes later, residential street behind the food co-op. We launch from a four-way stop, couple is coming the other way on bikes, five seconds after we pass, LOUD BANG. One of the couple just plowed into the back of the car parked just off the intersection. Square on, not even an attempt to swerve. Amazingly, no damage.

That seemed to mollify the Gods of Three for the day.

Originally Posted by non-fixie
So, cruisin' ain't safe, eh?
Well it ain't danger-ous either....

Last edited by madpogue; 07-10-19 at 02:45 PM.
Old 07-10-19, 03:27 PM
since6

non-fixie. I love that zero to about 12 mph is "Safe".

Now watching my two grandsons with their Mom, it is obvious that this speedometer was designed by a mother who had sons!

"Mom, what do you mean we can't joust with brooms on our bikes!"
Old 07-10-19, 05:19 PM
old's'cool
curmudgineer

Bikes: 2 many 2 fit here

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 70 Posts
Haha, when the movie Rollerball was playing, we played a version of it on soccerfields, with our hi-rise bikes
Old 07-10-19, 07:36 PM
since6

non-fixie just curious I can read the first part of the name on your speedometer "SAFTI-GO???", but can't read the second half of the name.

Lovely bike, areo chain guard, looks like a machined front fender with a crease in it and chrome caps to the head of the fork.

Yeah, that's a sloooow motion rider.
Old 07-10-19, 08:18 PM
uncle uncle

Bikes: too many

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 411 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 140 Posts
Originally Posted by old's'cool
I think "DORCY" has a spelling error
It's pronounced "D-O-R-K-Y".
Old 07-10-19, 09:56 PM
droppedandlost 
small ring

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked 925 Times in 370 Posts
non-fixie just curious I can read the first part of the name on your speedometer "SAFTI-GO???", but can't read the second half of the name.
I think it's "guide"
Old 07-11-19, 08:16 AM
crank_addict
Banned

Quoted: 1361 Post(s)
Liked 422 Times in 282 Posts
^ Yep, its Guide.

Here's a Dorcy on my wife's Raleigh Twenty. Funny because its for a different ratio wheel and this one reads faster than actual. I've never told her as she's always proud of any extra distance shown on the odometer. He-he

Old 07-11-19, 09:36 AM
mgopack42 

Bikes: 2020 Argon 18 Krypton Pro, 1985 Masi 3V Volumetrica, 3Rensho Super Record Aero, 2022 Trek District 4.

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 423 Times in 206 Posts
Originally Posted by madpogue
21st-Century version - 2a. Check to make sure you caught the whole thing on your GoPro.

Few years ago, a perfect "stoopid things happen in threes" trilogy. Saturday of Art Fair weekend, 23823432 wandering tourists (give or take) in town.
1) State Street (our "no car" downtown retail street) is torn up for construction but still bustling. Crosswalk for W Johnson St is diverted by 50 feet or so. W Johnson is one-way eastbound with a left-side bike lane (buses use the right side). Wife and I are in the bike lane, bunch of tourists are crossing, AGAINST the signal, and for whatever reason, looking east rather than west as they cross. We slow down, we slow down, we nearly stop, and one young blonde just walks into my front wheel. We both get up and are fine, and I say, as nicely as I can, that the traffic IS coming from the west....
2) 10 minutes later, W Gorham St just off State, car on Gorham stops for more wandering tourists, car behind just plain doesn't notice, rear-ends the first car square on. Low speed, but a LOUD bang, minor but obvious damage to both cars. Lady in the car behind yells "YOUR CAR'S FINE" to the one ahead. Yeah, sure....
3) 20 minutes later, residential street behind the food co-op. We launch from a four-way stop, couple is coming the other way on bikes, five seconds after we pass, LOUD BANG. One of the couple just plowed into the back of the car parked just off the intersection. Square on, not even an attempt to swerve. Amazingly, no damage.

That seemed to mollify the Gods of Three for the day.

Well it ain't danger-ous either....
Nice time capsule for me. I miss Lazy Jane's for breakfast and the Weary Traveler for beer, and hanging out. Maybe I can get back to the middle coast area some time this year!
Old 07-11-19, 10:24 AM
dweenk

Bikes: Lots of English 3-speeds, a couple of old road bikes, 3 mountain bikes, 1 hybrid, and a couple of mash-ups

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 335 Times in 225 Posts
The Byrds - "My Back Pages"
They were so much older then, they're younger than that now.