Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Why new bikes are an incredible bargain.

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Why new bikes are an incredible bargain.

Old 04-11-18, 01:35 PM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 436 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
Actually applying logic to the situation, one might surmise that while most people cannot afford to by a $20,000-$50,000 car every year or two ... but most people who really want to can buy a $1000-$2000 bike every couple years (other situations depending, of course.)

make sense?
My point is that buyer's remorse from thinking one paid too much for a bike must be infrequent, otherwise why would people be willing to jump right back in and buy more? Whereas many people hate dealing with the new car haggling process and many end up feeling like they got ripped off, hardly eager to do it all again.
Old 04-11-18, 01:42 PM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by surak
My point is that buyer's remorse from thinking one paid too much for a bike must be infrequent, otherwise why would people be willing to jump right back in and buy more? Whereas many people hate dealing with the new car haggling process and many end up feeling like they got ripped off, hardly eager to do it all again.
We are talking about an industry which perfected "buy new every two".

And an industry where people want new so frequently they never actually buy a car, just lease it.
Old 04-11-18, 01:55 PM
InOmaha

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Given how manufacturing has generally shifted from 1st world factory conditions to 3rd world sweatshop conditions, I would have expected more bicycles to follow the electronics pricing model. Do they hand make all the high end bikes and their components in 1st world factories, or is your $1500 bike being welded on the same jig as the $400 bike by the same person making $1.50/hour?

The bike in your LBS may well be shipping from the same place as Walmart's bikes.

It's definitely something to research.
Old 04-11-18, 01:56 PM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 436 Posts
Originally Posted by jefnvk
We are talking about an industry which perfected "buy new every two".

And an industry where people want new so frequently they never actually buy a car, just lease it.
Nah.

https://www.autonews.com/article/2016...its-11.6-years

And leasing? Plenty of articles on how leasing usually doesn't make financial sense for most people. There's no controversy or debate on that point. Still every new or used question about bikes will be split.
Old 04-11-18, 02:09 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7648 Post(s)
Liked 3,464 Times in 1,830 Posts
Yeah. Absolutely. Those people will sell you a car even if you are still paying off another ... even if you have three bankruptcies and no job.

"Find out how much you qualify now!!!!!!!!"

Um ... about 22 cents, but we 100 percent accept every application and we will give you the loan for 22 cents .... just pay the application fee of $150 and we will write you the 22-cent check.
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by surak
And leasing? Plenty of articles on how leasing usually doesn't make financial sense for most people. There's no controversy or debate on that point. Still every new or used question about bikes will be split.
Whether or not it makes sense is a debate for elsewhere, the fact is a third of new cars today are leased and that number has been growing for a few years, with a normal term of three years: https://www.edmunds.com/about/press/...ds-report.html

Even at an average of 6.5 years of ownership of a new vehicle, that leaves numerous people trading in at the 2-3 year mark, to counteract those holding their car for 8-10 years. To be fair, I doubt the "average" bike buyer is upgrading their bike any more frequently, either. This site isn't really composed of "average" folks

Last edited by jefnvk; 04-11-18 at 02:12 PM.
OBoile

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 204 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
I would suggest in the long run running is not cheaper. What is the cost of two knee replacements and two hip replacements from the shock of running that has ruined them.
I'm guessing roughly the same as your hospital bill from getting hit by a car.

Lots of people (including both of my parents) run for pretty much their entire adult life without "ruining" anything.
Old 04-11-18, 03:39 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7648 Post(s)
Liked 3,464 Times in 1,830 Posts
I am perfectly average.
Old 04-11-18, 04:47 PM
1500SLR
Banned.

Bikes: Trek 1500 SLR DI2 Giant Kronos SRAM Rival

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 301 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by OBoile
I'm guessing roughly the same as your hospital bill from getting hit by a car.

Lots of people (including both of my parents) run for pretty much their entire adult life without "ruining" anything.
The cost of hospital bills in Australia as a result of being hit by a car? $0 its covered in the insurance of a driver. The cost of hospital bills for elective joint replacement in Australia $15000-$30000.
Old 04-11-18, 08:52 PM
OBoile

Originally Posted by 1500SLR
The cost of hospital bills in Australia as a result of being hit by a car? $0 its covered in the insurance of a driver. The cost of hospital bills for elective joint replacement in Australia $15000-$30000.
I think you missed the point of my post.
Old 04-11-18, 08:53 PM
1500SLR
Banned.

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I think you missed the point of my post.
You assume running is low impact and that you won't get as many injuries as in cycling?
Old 04-11-18, 09:01 PM
OBoile

You assume running is low impact and that you won't get as many injuries as in cycling?
No but you're welcome to keep trying.
Old 04-11-18, 09:06 PM
1500SLR
Banned.

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
No but you're welcome to keep trying.
I don't see how you can get from presuming repairing the injuries from running would be the same as or more expensive than being hit by a car. It's beside the point, it would cost you $0 even if you were hit by a car. There is a definite probability if you run for a long time on hard surfaces that you will end up with hip and knee problems regardless of the shoes you are wearing. Lots of people ride bikes there entire lives and don't suffer anything worse than the natural degeneration of the human body.
Old 04-12-18, 07:15 AM
OBoile

I don't see how you can get from presuming repairing the injuries from running would be the same as or more expensive than being hit by a car. It's beside the point, it would cost you $0 even if you were hit by a car. There is a definite probability if you run for a long time on hard surfaces that you will end up with hip and knee problems regardless of the shoes you are wearing. Lots of people ride bikes there entire lives and don't suffer anything worse than the natural degeneration of the human body.
Still haven't figured it out. Should I tell you or do you want to keep guessing?
Old 04-12-18, 07:31 AM
northtexasbiker

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The point is a poster used an extreme example of possible hidden cost of running (knee surgery) and as a retort someone used an extreme example of hidden costs of cycling, medical bills. It's great you live in a country where everyone has insurance, but it doesn't have to be medical bills to make his point. For every scenario you can think of for running costing you a lot of money, you can just as easily come up with a cycling scenario.

Insurance is a funny thing in Texas. It's illegal to drive without it, but people's vehicles still start even if they don't have it.

Cycling doesn't have to be expensive. You can make it expensive but it's not necessary. Running is cheaper than cycling. You are just doing mental gymnastics to convince yourself otherwise. Does that mean there isn't a possible situation as a runner where something could happen costing you a lot of money? Absolutely not, but those possibilities exist in every facet of life.

Last edited by northtexasbiker; 04-12-18 at 07:45 AM.
Old 04-12-18, 08:04 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6192 Post(s)
Liked 4,190 Times in 2,351 Posts
Originally Posted by Hiro11
I don't think this is true at all. In 1989, I bought my first serious road bike. It was a Miyata 912 and it came standard with a complete Shimano 600 group (including the hubs!), Nitto stem/bars/seatpost, Wolber rims, a Selle Italia Turbo saddle and Panaracer tires. The frame was brazed/lugged, triple butted and splined Ishiwata. Everything about that bike was extremely high quality and had bulletproof reliability. Even the paint was nice. For that bike I paid $799 (full retail), which is about $1,700 today. I challenge anyone to go into a bike shop and get similar quality today for $1,700.
Like, say, the Trek Emonda ALR 5? I would put it at the same level at an '89 Miyata 912 and the price is just below $1700. Bikes really have held their value and quality over the years. Yes, there are very expensive bikes but comparing those to old bikes is somewhat like comparing a Curtis Jenny to an F16 (I wouldn't compare it to anything after the F16 because they are all dogs). There's really nothing to compare other than they ultimately both fly.

On the other hand, there are incredible bargains out there. For roughly the same price as you paid for your 912 (in 2018 dollars) you can by the Jamis Ventura Sport. It's been my "go to" entry level road bike for years. It's cheap and it has a world class weight for 1989. Let's not forget that a slightly over 20 lb road bike in 1989 was what Lemond was using to win the Tour. For an "entry level" bike, 23 lb is hard to beat for less then $700.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 04-12-18, 08:42 AM
1500SLR
Banned.

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Still haven't figured it out. Should I tell you or do you want to keep guessing?
No but please feel free to entertain me.

Originally Posted by northtexasbiker
The point is a poster used an extreme example of possible hidden cost of running (knee surgery) and as a retort someone used an extreme example of hidden costs of cycling, medical bills. It's great you live in a country where everyone has insurance, but it doesn't have to be medical bills to make his point. For every scenario you can think of for running costing you a lot of money, you can just as easily come up with a cycling scenario.

Insurance is a funny thing in Texas. It's illegal to drive without it, but people's vehicles still start even if they don't have it.

Cycling doesn't have to be expensive. You can make it expensive but it's not necessary. Running is cheaper than cycling. You are just doing mental gymnastics to convince yourself otherwise. Does that mean there isn't a possible situation as a runner where something could happen costing you a lot of money? Absolutely not, but those possibilities exist in every facet of life.
Cycling never has to be expensive, I just like halfway decent bike with quirky builds quite personally. You can get a bike from the dump for the price of scrap metal or a couple cans of beans. Or in America you could go to Goodwill. People make cycling expensive for whatever reason even though the vast majority of us will never be fast enough to make use of what tops out at around $15000 bikes which are the types pro riders are using.

If you're talking about impact on your body running is horrendous. I did a 6mile fun run one year including training I came in the top 10 or so for my age group, but would I run regularly? Not a chance. Even with a good set of shoes I ended up with hip bursitis after one race. You can ride on a well setup bike and have almost no damage done to your body which isn't incidental until you're too old to ride a bike anymore, pretty much give or take.

I hate to make an N=1 argument but if the shoes fit, wear it.

Last edited by 1500SLR; 04-12-18 at 08:49 AM.
Old 04-12-18, 09:01 AM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
Like, say, the Trek Emonda ALR 5? I would put it at the same level at an '89 Miyata 912 and the price is just below $1700. Bikes really have held their value and quality over the years. Yes, there are very expensive bikes but comparing those to old bikes is somewhat like comparing a Curtis Jenny to an F16 (I wouldn't compare it to anything after the F16 because they are all dogs). There's really nothing to compare other than they ultimately both fly.

On the other hand, there are incredible bargains out there. For roughly the same price as you paid for your 912 (in 2018 dollars) you can by the Jamis Ventura Sport. It's been my "go to" entry level road bike for years. It's cheap and it has a world class weight for 1989. Let's not forget that a slightly over 20 lb road bike in 1989 was what Lemond was using to win the Tour. For an "entry level" bike, 23 lb is hard to beat for less then $700.
Exactly. 23 lbs and 8 speed Claris components. In 1989, Dura Ace was 8 speed. 105 was was downtube shifting, and 6 speed. Maybe just me, but I would take 8 speed Claris brifters over 1989 105.
Old 04-12-18, 09:14 AM
northtexasbiker

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Cycling never has to be expensive, I just like halfway decent bike with quirky builds quite personally. You can get a bike from the dump for the price of scrap metal or a couple cans of beans. Or in America you could go to Goodwill. People make cycling expensive for whatever reason even though the vast majority of us will never be fast enough to make use of what tops out at around $15000 bikes which are the types pro riders are using.

If you're talking about impact on your body running is horrendous. I did a 6mile fun run one year including training I came in the top 10 or so for my age group, but would I run regularly? Not a chance. Even with a good set of shoes I ended up with hip bursitis after one race. You can ride on a well setup bike and have almost no damage done to your body which isn't incidental until you're too old to ride a bike anymore, pretty much give or take.

I hate to make an N=1 argument but if the shoes fit, wear it.

What are you even talking about? Go to a junkyard and get a bike? Why don't you just run barefoot that doesn't even cost you the time or energy to go to goodwill. Running is cheaper, but that doesn't make it better. Your anecdotal evidence that running results in more costly injuries is irrelevant to that fact. Sorry you can't run without going to the hospital, but quit extrapolating that to mean nobody can.
Old 04-12-18, 09:27 AM
OBoile

My original comment was a someone tongue in cheek statement to illustrate the silliness of representing a worst case scenario as the norm. I'd be shocked if there were more then 50 runners ever who have received multiple hip and knee replacements but continued to run.

For some reason, people like to needlessly put down other activities as though that somehow makes their chosen endeavour better. In doing so, they frequently go well beyond what is rational or evidence based. Needlessly spreading misinformation does no one any good. The idea that running will inevitably destroy your body is ridiculous.
Old 04-12-18, 09:44 AM
1500SLR
Banned.

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by northtexasbiker
What are you even talking about? Go to a junkyard and get a bike? Why don't you just run barefoot that doesn't even cost you the time or energy to go to goodwill. Running is cheaper, but that doesn't make it better. Your anecdotal evidence that running results in more costly injuries is irrelevant to that fact. Sorry you can't run without going to the hospital, but quit extrapolating that to mean nobody can.
I'm quite certain other people can, but from my experience running is not a sport I wish to partake in.
Old 04-12-18, 10:46 AM
Hiro11

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Allez Sprint custom build, 2019 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0, 2018 Seven Mudhoney Pro custom build, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman, various others

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 238 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
That's a excellent bike and I appreciate your point here.

A few things to think about:
1. I don't think the difference in real world performance difference between an old steel bike and a newer alloy or carbon bike is very large. Certainly not as large as you imply.
2. Regardless, it's a bit unfair to compare a bike with an additional thirty years of development behind it. As I said in an earlier post, IMO a better idea is to look at the quality you're getting at a given price point within the overall spectrum of quality available at the time. IMO, you got more for your money back then. This is of course arguable.
3. My major complaint with retail bikes sold today is that they too often cheap out on crucial parts that your average buyer wouldn't notice. They throw a fancy rear derailleur on there (which is arguably the least important component on a bike) and then install an unreliable press fit BB with cheap bearings, crappy rear hubs, cheap saddles, cheap cables, creaky seatposts etc. That stuff matters a great deal after a few thousand miles and can start to drive you crazy. Fixing these issues gets expensive quickly. My point with the Miyata is that this wasn't a problem back then at this price point. Everything on that bike was name brand, well engineered and reliable. As a counter example, today if I get a year out of a new unbranded rear hub I consider myself lucky.
Old 04-12-18, 01:21 PM
Oneder
Banned.

Bikes: Wahoo of Theseus, others

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 46 Posts
Guys I can waste money on high end bikes more efficiently, what a deal. Too bad the price of a decent bike that actually works has gone up 5x but no big deal right? Gotta have those 1000 dollar wheels so useful.
Old 04-12-18, 02:48 PM
cyccommute 

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

That's a excellent bike and I appreciate your point here.

A few things to think about:
1. I don't think the difference in real world performance difference between an old steel bike and a newer alloy or carbon bike is very large. Certainly not as large as you imply.
Some of that depends on what's being compared. For road bikes, there's definitely a difference but of a lesser degree than say comparing modern mountain bikes to old mountain bikes. That difference is huge.

On the other hand, there has been a lot of technology that has trickled down to mid-level modern bikes that have made them easier to maintain and provide a better experience than older bikes.

2. Regardless, it's a bit unfair to compare a bike with an additional thirty years of development behind it. As I said in an earlier post, IMO a better idea is to look at the quality you're getting at a given price point within the overall spectrum of quality available at the time. IMO, you got more for your money back then. This is of course arguable.
Sorry but I don't agree. I think you get a better value now. Overall the bikes work better and require less maintenance than bikes from 1988 (which is your bike's year). The Jamis I linked to weighs as much (as little?) as your original 912 but it costs the same as your bike did 30 years ago. The only real difference between Claris now and Shimano 600 from 30 years ago is a little bit of finish.

The Emonda weighs less and works better than the 912.

3. My major complaint with retail bikes sold today is that they too often cheap out on crucial parts that your average buyer wouldn't notice. They throw a fancy rear derailleur on there (which is arguably the least important component on a bike) and then install an unreliable press fit BB with cheap bearings, crappy rear hubs, cheap saddles, cheap cables, creaky seatposts etc. That stuff matters a great deal after a few thousand miles and can start to drive you crazy. Fixing these issues gets expensive quickly. My point with the Miyata is that this wasn't a problem back then at this price point. Everything on that bike was name brand, well engineered and reliable. As a counter example, today if I get a year out of a new unbranded rear hub I consider myself lucky.
I'm not sure what you are talking about here. "Press fit" bottom brackets aren't something you find on "cheap" bikes. Press fit is what you find on high end bikes. Yes, the Emonda has a press fit but, again, that's not what I would call a "cheap bike". Nothing else looks to me like it would require a lot of replacement, upgrades or changes. That probably won't keep people from doing upgrades but, more often than not, that's something that people choose to do rather than need to do. You could ride that bike (or the Ventura) for years without making any changes and be happy with it.
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 04-12-18, 02:54 PM
cyccommute 

Originally Posted by Oneder
Guys I can waste money on high end bikes more efficiently, what a deal. Too bad the price of a decent bike that actually works has gone up 5x but no big deal right? Gotta have those 1000 dollar wheels so useful.
No, the price of a "decent" bike hasn't gone up 5x over the last 30 years. As I said above, the Ventura Sport is comparable to a 1988 mid-level road bike at almost the same price. The bikes that do cost 5 times as much as a bike from 1989 aren't necessarily mid-level bikes anymore. A $3500 bike is a very good bike.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.