Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

GURU Bikes??

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

GURU Bikes??

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-23, 09:08 AM
ArgoMan

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 22 Posts
GURU Bikes??

Hey All. I came across a really nice looking frameset from company called "Guru". Never heard of them before, but my research revealed that it's a Canadian company and that it's pretty reputable. So, I'm checking out an all carbon "Flite" model, about 7 years old. Looks to be in good shape. Can anyone tell me some specifics about this frame? For my purposes, I don't do much climbing. I live in a flat desert area. This morning I had a spring againt a roadrunner. I beat him!

Thanks....
Old 07-15-23, 09:13 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3952 Post(s)
Liked 7,299 Times in 2,947 Posts
Unless they've been reborn, they went out of business several years ago. They were good bikes.
Old 07-15-23, 10:27 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3148 Post(s)
Liked 1,713 Times in 1,034 Posts
Yeah, most of the Guru tooling and stuff was purchased and used to make Allied Cycles in Arkansas, and several of the actual people behind Guru went on to start T-Lab in Montreal, focusing on titanium frames.
Old 07-15-23, 11:06 AM
ArgoMan

Thanks. Any info about their carbon Flite model? Fast, stiff, ecttt?

Thanks again!
Old 07-15-23, 11:57 AM
tFUnK

Bikes: Too many bikes, too little time to ride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 431 Post(s)
Liked 460 Times in 318 Posts
I'm sure it's as fast and stiff as any other carbon bike of that era. The Flite used to be an alloy model but the recent renditions were all-carbon. The Flite is not as light as the Photon but it still looks to be a nice bike. Still plenty light at <17lbs for a build. It's designed to be an all-rounder that still can be raced. I don't have personal experience with the Flite but I love my Guru Photon. Here's a Guru catalogue from 2015.

As mentioned they went out of business a few years ago, before things like aero, wide tire clearance became emphasized by the industry, so their frame designs may be slightly dated in those regards. They also made a lot of custom geometry frames so it can be difficult to track down a used frame's exact geometry to assess fit.

Last edited by tFUnK; 07-15-23 at 12:01 PM.
Old 07-15-23, 04:25 PM
ArgoMan

Thank you. Excellent info!