Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

I started riding 3 years ago. Today I finally bought my first road bike.

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

I started riding 3 years ago. Today I finally bought my first road bike.

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-23, 06:39 AM
33yearslate

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 11 Posts
I started riding 3 years ago. Today I ordered a Canyon Endurace CF 8!

During the pandemic, I bought a trek FX1 with Disc breaks and picked up a new life skill - I finally learned to ride a bike… yes in my 30s.

I’ve ridden my FX1 hundreds of miles by now. And all the while I’d see all these cool dudes flying past me on hills in their super cool road bikes.

Well today, I finally decided to join you all. I ordered a Canyon Endurace CF 8! It’s my first road bike and I’m kinda scared but also really excited.

It feels exactly as scary as when I first ordered my hybrid 3 years ago. But I’m looking forward to the challenge of learning to put it together, and understand how to ride it properly with clipless pedals.

I’m like 95% excited, and 5% intimidated since this is such a more sophisticated (and expensive!) ride. But I already have some road buddies who have been waiting for me to make this upgrade and who will ride with me on my first outing.

Part of what makes me nervous was the direct to consumer nature of this purchase. But the deal was unbeatable. It was $2200 on sale for a carbon fiber bike with ultegra components. Everything else in my area was either sold out or twice as expensive for a carbon fiber ride. And that was something I didn’t want to compromise on because I love the look of “no welds” showing (as superficial as that may be). I wanted to love the bike and I think I will.

Any tips for putting together the bike or transitioning to a hybrid would be appreciated.

Last edited by 33yearslate; 10-06-23 at 06:44 AM. Reason: More descriptive thread title.
Likes For 33yearslate:
Old 10-06-23, 06:55 AM
Jklotz

Liked 37 Times in 23 Posts
Awesome! Getting a new bike is always fun and I'm sure will lead to new adventures for you. I'm sure your buddies will be able to help you with the basics. Everything I've read about the Canyon Endurace have been positive, I'm sure it will be a great bike for you, and at that price, you got a great deal!

One thing you may want to consider is having a pro bike fit at a shop that does that. Even a basic fitting will probably go along way to make the beginning of this journey more enjoyable. Things like seat height, saddle angle, bar reach, saddle fore/aft, etc, should be done properly in order to maximize comfort and efficiency and minimize the possibility of injury.
Likes For Jklotz:
Old 10-06-23, 07:47 AM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Canyon Endurace

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1041 Post(s)
Liked 926 Times in 541 Posts
Putting together is a breeze. They have a couple of videos on their website on how to assemble the Endurace. They even throw in a set of flat pedals. And yes... Canyon is an incredible bang for the buck purchase.
Likes For TakingMyTime:
Old 10-06-23, 07:59 AM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 853 Post(s)
Liked 1,437 Times in 819 Posts
There is not much difference between a hybrid and endurance road bike, other than the cockpit set up. You will likely find a need to replace some stock components, saddle likely the first thing.

Get some time and miles in and get a feeling of how your positioning on the bike feels. When you make changes, do it in small increments with only one or two changes at a time. Keep notes on what you changed, and what the change was. Being your first road bike, It is likely going to take
Some trial and error to get it dialed in.

As to get a professional bike fitting done, you are paying someone for an opinion, a someone with training and knowledge that might help. Though hopefully based on knowledge and experience, is still an opinion, not fact. For transparency I have never had one done.
Likes For delbiker1:
Old 10-06-23, 08:39 AM
RB1-luvr
I don't know.

Bikes: '90 B'stone RB-1, '92 B'stone RB-2, '89 SuperGo Access Comp, '03 Access 69er, '23 Trek 520, '14 Ritchey Road Logic, '09 Kestrel Evoke, '08 Windsor Tourist, '17 Surly Wednesday, '89 Centurion Accordo, '15 CruX, '17 Ridley X-Night, '89 Marinoni

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 853 Times in 446 Posts
New Bike Day! congrats. Looking forward to reading about the assembly, tuning and riding experiences you have. Enjoy.
Old 10-06-23, 08:50 AM
33yearslate

Originally Posted by TakingMyTime
Putting together is a breeze. They have a couple of videos on their website on how to assemble the Endurace. They even throw in a set of flat pedals. And yes... Canyon is an incredible bang for the buck purchase.
oh I didn’t realize they throw in some flat pedals. I’ll start with those before installing the clipless ones just to get a feel for the bike rather than trying to adjust to everything at once.

Those videos sold me on the idea that I’m capable of putting this thing together. The biggest thing I’m worried about is not knowing if something is faulty since this is the first time I’ll ever see this group set in person, and I’m not particularly knowledgeable or handy.

Originally Posted by delbiker1
There is not much difference between a hybrid and endurance road bike, other than the cockpit set up. You will likely find a need to replace some stock components, saddle likely the first thing.

Get some time and miles in and get a feeling of how your positioning on the bike feels. When you make changes, do it in small increments with only one or two changes at a time. Keep notes on what you changed, and what the change was. Being your first road bike, It is likely going to take
Some trial and error to get it dialed in.

As to get a professional bike fitting done, you are paying someone for an opinion, a someone with training and knowledge that might help. Though hopefully based on knowledge and experience, is still an opinion, not fact. For transparency I have never had one done.
Thanks for the tip. I’ll definitely just try to eyeball it at first and listen to my body before paying for a pro bike fit. I’m going to try to get some familiarity with the bike out of the box to have a better understanding of the effect that each subsequent adjustment makes on the comfort.

My goal is mostly a comfy ride but still in an athletic enough position to be fast/aggressive when I want to sprint and feel some speed.

Last edited by 33yearslate; 10-06-23 at 09:02 AM. Reason: More context
Likes For 33yearslate:
Old 10-06-23, 09:10 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3952 Post(s)
Liked 7,299 Times in 2,947 Posts
Practice unclipping a lot on a soft surface before you head out on the road, and unclip well in advance of stopping once you venture out into the wild.
Old 10-06-23, 11:23 AM
33yearslate

Originally Posted by tomato coupe
Practice unclipping a lot on a soft surface before you head out on the road, and unclip well in advance of stopping once you venture out into the wild.
I'll try!

What happens when you need to stop short?
Old 10-06-23, 11:43 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10435 Post(s)
Liked 11,912 Times in 6,100 Posts
Originally Posted by 33yearslate
I'll try!

What happens when you need to stop short?
Hence, the practice. The more you clip in and unclip, the more it becomes second nature to tilt the bike toward the side you unclip as you stop. BUT even those of us who've been doing it successfully for decades sometimes mess up....

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 10-06-23, 12:22 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 998 Post(s)
Liked 1,206 Times in 692 Posts
The biggest thing I’m worried about is not knowing if something is faulty since this is the first time I’ll ever see this group set in person, and I’m not particularly knowledgeable or handy.
Maybe take it to a shop after you're done and ask them to give it a once over. They will probably charge you for a "tune up", but your peace of mind might be worth the cost.
Old 10-06-23, 01:10 PM
33yearslate

Originally Posted by urbanknight
Maybe take it to a shop after you're done and ask them to give it a once over. They will probably charge you for a "tune up", but your peace of mind might be worth the cost.
I will likely do that.
Old 10-06-23, 03:00 PM
NitroExpress

Bikes: 1974 Mirella ~ Campy Record Group, 1985 Maruishi Mountain Ace 18, 1999 Waterford 2200, 2023 Poseidon X Ambition (with lots of upgrades)

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 23 Posts
Congrats!! I think you made a great choice with the Canyon. I would also say that getting a bike fit is a good idea. While they are doing the fit, I'm sure they would "check over" the bike. Depending on how comfortable you feel putting it together (it really is easy), having the shop go through it is not a bad idea...
Likes For NitroExpress:
Old 10-06-23, 04:26 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4736 Post(s)
Liked 1,533 Times in 1,004 Posts
I will likely do that.
Not sure where you are, but did you have the option for their Velofix delivery? I'd opt for that if it's available in your area.
Old 10-07-23, 07:49 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4414 Post(s)
Liked 4,867 Times in 3,012 Posts
The Endurace is a really nice road bike. Putting it together is pretty straightforward and they are usually pretty good with factory setup of the drivetrain etc. But taking it to a reputable shop for a check over is a good idea for peace of mind. Otherwise just follow their assembly instructions carefully and it should be fine. The main tasks you are faced with are setting the bars straight and fitting the seatpost. You may also want to convert to a tubeless tyre setup. The wheels and tyres will be tubeless ready, but they come fitted with tubes from Canyon. You can just ride with tubes if you prefer.
Old 10-07-23, 07:56 PM
33yearslate

Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Not sure where you are, but did you have the option for their Velofix delivery? I'd opt for that if it's available in your area.
unfortunately it’s not available in my area.
Old 10-11-23, 07:01 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts

Well today, I finally decided to join you all. I ordered a Canyon Endurace CF 8! It’s my first road bike and I’m kinda scared but also really excited.
That's an excellent choice that will last you for many years. Rock on.
Old 10-13-23, 07:48 AM
cweb99

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 58 Posts
Congrats! I’m looking to get a Canyon Endurance soon as well
Old 10-20-23, 03:49 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Quoted: 1948 Post(s)
Liked 1,471 Times in 1,020 Posts
Originally Posted by delbiker1
There is not much difference between a hybrid and endurance road bike, other than the cockpit set up.
No way! I made the same transition (Trek FX 2 to Cannondale Synapse CF) in 2017 and never looked back. A hybrid and an endurance road bike ride completely differently, and the latter will allow 33yearslate to ride faster and longer at the same fitness level.
Likes For SoSmellyAir:
Old 10-24-23, 02:35 AM
choddo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 682 Post(s)
Liked 453 Times in 338 Posts
Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
No way! I made the same transition (Trek FX 2 to Cannondale Synapse CF) in 2017 and never looked back. A hybrid and an endurance road bike ride completely differently, and the latter will allow 33yearslate to ride faster and longer at the same fitness level.
I agree. Went from a similar Trek hybrid to an aggressive race geometry road bike and since then regularly ride a gravel bike in the winter. The latter is much closer to the road bike in feel and speed than to the hybrid.
Old 11-02-23, 10:45 AM
ls01
he said member

Bikes: yes please

Quoted: 2789 Post(s)
Liked 1,951 Times in 1,207 Posts
Assimilation complete
Likes For ls01:
Old 11-02-23, 01:08 PM
noimagination

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 419 Times in 248 Posts
I agree that a pro fitting is probably not necessary, unless:
  • You have physical limitations or injuries that affect your flexibility or your ability to consistently apply (approximately) equal force to each pedal.
  • You have significantly unusual body proportions or asymmetries.
  • You have over-use injuries due to cycling that you are not able to resolve with rest and/or minor modifications to your set-up (raise/lower/tilt saddle; raise/lower bars).
  • You ride 10K+ miles/year, and even a minor deficiency in set-up can have large effects over the course of a season.
  • You are looking to optimize your power output (i.e. you're into racing).
  • You're a bike geek and just want (and, can afford) to get a fitting - more information being better than less.
I've never had a fitting either, have been riding for many decades.
Old 11-06-23, 09:07 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,478 Times in 1,836 Posts
Makes me want to buy a new Canyon ... check who this guy works for ...
Old 11-07-23, 04:49 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4414 Post(s)
Liked 4,867 Times in 3,012 Posts
Originally Posted by noimagination
I agree that a pro fitting is probably not necessary, unless:
  • You have physical limitations or injuries that affect your flexibility or your ability to consistently apply (approximately) equal force to each pedal.
  • You have significantly unusual body proportions or asymmetries.
  • You have over-use injuries due to cycling that you are not able to resolve with rest and/or minor modifications to your set-up (raise/lower/tilt saddle; raise/lower bars).
  • You ride 10K+ miles/year, and even a minor deficiency in set-up can have large effects over the course of a season.
  • You are looking to optimize your power output (i.e. you're into racing).
  • You're a bike geek and just want (and, can afford) to get a fitting - more information being better than less.
I've never had a fitting either, have been riding for many decades.
Agreed. I've always self-fitted my bikes and never had any issues. There is also now some good software out there to help with fitting. I've used MyVeloFit and found it really useful. Although my fit was already within their recommended tolerances for my style of riding.

https://www.myvelofit.com/?utm_sourc...SAAEgK6w_D_BwE

The fitter below also offers a great DIY fitting guide for a few peanuts. It's quite an in-depth guide, but well worth a read and very logical with no bs involved.

https://www.bikedynamics.co.uk/shop.htm

Even if you go to a pro fitter it is still useful to do some background reading first and go in a bit more informed. If you go to 10 different fitters you will get 10 different fits based on their skill, equipment, methodology and customer feedback. It is not an exact science and that's why I prefer to do my own thing, although I have spoken to several pro fitters and read a fair bit about fitting.

Back in the day (80s, 90s, 00s) I simply used to buy bikes in the obvious frame size for my height (6' tall = 58 cm or L) and adjust the saddle height using the heel method plus a bit of random tweaking on the go. I never felt the need to change stem length etc.

Today I do all the research and use the latest online AI fitting tools and then end up with exactly the same result! 58/L frame, saddle height +/- a couple of mm and stock stem. I also have the luxury of a Wahoo Kickr Bike, so I can play around with fit parameters very quickly and independently. I usually do this over the winter months. I've experimented this way with saddle height, bar reach/drop, saddle setback and crank length. I've concluded that I'm not actually very sensitive to bike fitting parameters.