Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Tubeless: Proper Size??

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-23, 08:36 AM
ArgoMan

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 22 Posts

Good morning all. I'm new to tubeless, so kindly pardon me if my questions are stupid. I just bought my first set of tubeless wheels (Stan's Alpha 400.) They have an inner width of 17.0 (hooled.) I like to run 28mm tires and the rims were advertised as able to handle up to 32mm. So, I bought a pair of Pirelli Race TLR SL's, size 700x28. But the box they came in states "ETRTO Rim 19c". So, my newbie questions are: will the Pirelli's fit my wheels? If so, are they safe to run? Or should I get a different set of tires? Thank you! and if so
Old 12-04-23, 09:23 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,810 Times in 3,318 Posts
Might be that that is what they think is the ideal rim width to run their tire on. Since it doesn't say anything about what that means you shouldn't think that it's a mandatory requirement by them. They have a .pdf that gives some general info on Rim/Tyre compatibility. Pirelli BICYCLE TYRE MOUNTING, CARE AND SERVICE INSTRUCTIONS Tire section width of 28mm is recommended by them to have a crochet rim in the 13 to 19 mm width. So you should be good. Assuming your rim is crochet and not smooth. They don't say anything in it about smooth bead rims that I see.

Are they safe to run ride? What do you imagine about the tires that will make them unsafe? If they blow off the rims you just come to a stop. In my experiences with flats and tires blowing off the rims, none have ever caused me to wreck. And in all the wrecks I've had over 55 years of riding a bike, none involved flat tires or any mechanical failure of the bike.
Old 12-04-23, 09:35 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4414 Post(s)
Liked 4,867 Times in 3,012 Posts
Yeah they are completely safe to run. The 19c is just the reference rim width for the 28 mm width measurement. So on your 17 mm rims they will be a mm or two narrower. I have actually used those tyres on 17 mm rims and they were fine.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 12-04-23, 11:05 AM
ArgoMan

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 22 Posts
Iride and Pete: Thank you! I can't believe how anxious I get over new stuff like this. There is lots of technical data and I just want to be sure about my selections.

Iride: yeah, I never thought of what would actually occur if a "tire" failed. I've had tubes badly punctured while riding and nothing bad really happened. I imagine the the same is true for a tire failure.
Old 12-05-23, 07:19 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4414 Post(s)
Liked 4,867 Times in 3,012 Posts
You are welcome. To give you even more peace of mind I have also used 32 mm Pirelli Cinturatos on 17 mm hooked rims. But I think 28 mm is a better match in terms of the tyre profile on those rims. You are good to go!