Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fitting Your Bike
Reload this Page >

New ~ 5cm leg length discrepancy. What to do?

Search
Notices
Fitting Your Bike Are you confused about how you should fit a bike to your particular body dimensions? Have you been reading, found the terms Merxx or French Fit, and don’t know what you need? Every style of riding is different- in how you fit the bike to you, and the sizing of the bike itself. It’s more than just measuring your height, reach and inseam. With the help of Bike Fitting, you’ll be able to find the right fit for your frame size, style of riding, and your particular dimensions. Here ya’ go…..the location for everything fit related.

New ~ 5cm leg length discrepancy. What to do?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-23, 08:11 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2241 Post(s)
Liked 3,443 Times in 1,802 Posts
Unhappy New ~ 5cm leg length discrepancy. What to do?

My wife just had a hip replacement. Her right femur is now about 5cm longer than her left. Her PT is alarmed. We will talk to the surgeon in a few days. Even if this does settle in a bit, somehow, it looks like she now has a significant difference that will need to be considered. She currently is using a 165mm GRX crankset and flat pedals.

Would it make any sense to have a 172.5 or 175 mm right-side crank-arm and a 165 mm on the left? This still is only 20% of the length difference.

I can't imagine having a huge shim. I tried a 3mm shim once and it drove me nuts; I had to take it out mid-ride. 25 to 50 mm seems extreme. Also, her knees will be in different places if it is shimmed like this.

The irony is that before the hip replacement, biking was her escape from pain. Walking was the main problem. She did a 50 mile ride with 120 Strava achievements 4 days before the operation. Now I worry biking will be torture.
Old 12-29-23, 08:30 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 1,631 Times in 1,047 Posts
WOW! - Unfortunately its one of those wait and see dilemmas... RATS!

Also try to remember that a majority of people have almost 2cm leg length differences naturally and have no problems at all. So really you are only looking at about 2.5 cm of critical differences.

Again, you are still at the have to wait and see stage of this whole thing. As an active woman she has a great advantage in recovery. When she gets back to ridding again be sure to drop the seat about 2cm at the start and no mashing. Remember that Docs often forget the importance of Calcium Magnesium and Zinc supplementation along with Glucosamine and Chondroitin. Also remember that if she has low estrogen levels she will not be able to absorb the extra calcium supplements she is taking.

As a PA-C I usually end up addressing these things in my post hip surgical patients.
Old 12-29-23, 09:16 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

She is 8 days out, so I agree it is early. Apart from that, the recovery has been going really well.
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 12-29-23, 09:20 PM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,020 Times in 572 Posts
No advice to offer, but good luck to her.
Likes For jon c.:
Old 12-29-23, 11:04 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,026 Times in 723 Posts
Can always do a couple of origin8 crank sets and go square taper. They have a 140mm that you could pair with a 165 or 170 to make up most of the difference. Other than that, it is possible to find a halfway decent crankset that can be cut down on one side, drilled and tapped. Its been a few years but I ended up recommending this with I think an sr suntour crankset for the wife's cousin. He's got a birth defect that resulted in a 4cm difference, once we found the crank he managed to find a LBS that was willing to drill and tap. You're looking for a crank that isn't hollow and doesn't have a lot of relief cutout on the back of the arms, something that's flat and solidly square front to back. Sram s300 cranks had been good for this as well.
Likes For Russ Roth:
Old 12-30-23, 01:32 AM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2496 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 523 Posts
I would think that cycling will be the least of her adaptations after something like this. I would not be looking at crank or pedal solutions just yet because, if it were me, I would be pursuing a surgical correction of the issue. It does not sound like it was foreseen. It's not the most informative or helpful article ever, but I found this during a Google search on your behalf.
Likes For Leisesturm:
Old 12-30-23, 10:02 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,811 Times in 3,319 Posts
5 cm? Almost 2 inches? If you are correct on the units and didn't mean mm, then I'd be asking a lot of questions of all the doctors and medical staff involved with the replacement.

Was there any advance notice by the doctors that there'd be a big difference in leg length?
Likes For Iride01:
Old 12-30-23, 10:43 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Originally Posted by Iride01
5 cm? Almost 2 inches? If you are correct on the units and didn't mean mm, then I'd be asking a lot of questions of all the doctors and medical staff involved with the replacement.

Was there any advance notice by the doctors that there'd be a big difference in leg length?
Yes, the difference is about 2" relative to the other one. It was initially her shorter leg. We were informed leg length difference was a common complication, but this one seems a bit extreme.

Probably the best correction is doing the other hip when the time comes (it is well on its way) and matching them. But if their error bars for matching are 2", who knows?
Old 12-30-23, 02:27 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3956 Post(s)
Liked 7,306 Times in 2,949 Posts
Originally Posted by zandoval
Also try to remember that a majority of people have almost 2cm leg length differences naturally and have no problems at all.
Where did you come up with that? Real world statistics tell a different story:

41% < 4mm
37% 5mm - 9mm
15% 10mm - 14mm
6% > 14mm
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 12-30-23, 03:30 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Originally Posted by tomato coupe
Where did you come up with that? Real world statistics tell a different story:

41% < 4mm
37% 5mm - 9mm
15% 10mm - 14mm
6% > 14mm
I had assumed he meant mm. But yes, an approx. inch difference is extreme.

I really hope in my wife's case it is some sort of artifact.
Old 12-30-23, 04:17 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 1,631 Times in 1,047 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
Where did you come up with that? Real world statistics tell a different story: 41% < 4mm 37% 5mm - 9mm 15% 10mm - 14mm 6% > 14mm
Its true, but functional leg discrepancies vary. Especially in places other then the USA. The old rule was don't really consider treatment till approaching 20mm. At 20mm small changes can make a difference. Of course things vary also when comparing recommendations of Orthotists v/s Orthopods v/s Podiatrists v/s Kinesiologists. Whats also a factor here is that we are looking at increased Femur Length. Tib/Fib length and knee size and function is the same.

All in all its is unfortunately a wait and see problem. To bad we can't kick the can down the road about 18 months for an observation and try to fix things now.

Here is a good German Publication from more than 20 years ago for an illustration.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7477698/
Old 12-31-23, 03:17 PM
Kontact 

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4409 Post(s)
Liked 1,566 Times in 1,028 Posts
Femur differences are best dealt with via fore/aft cleat location. (Long femur has aft cleat, short femur gets forward cleat.)

Shin length differences with cleat shims.

This may require a bit of both.
Likes For Kontact:
Old 02-17-24, 11:52 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Sorry, only just saw this. She is on flat pedals at the moment, and appears to be doing naturally what you suggest for the femur length difference. (Her shin lengths are the same).
Old 02-17-24, 04:42 PM
Fredo76
The Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: 1976 Fredo Speciale, Jamis Citizen 1, Ellis-Briggs FAVORI, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 447 Posts
After my left hip replacement was re-done (due to four dislocations, ugh), I had to wear a right shoe with a 3/4" thicker sole (just took it to a shoe repair place to add the needed sole thickness).

You have already surmised the remedy - get the other hip done. My doctor did not want me cycling until both were finished and healed.
Likes For Fredo76: