Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Contrarian rebelliousness, the birthright of cyclists

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Contrarian rebelliousness, the birthright of cyclists

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-24, 07:14 PM
RustyWrench

Bikes: Cannondale Jekyll Lefty, Surly LHT, 1983 Univega Gran Turismo, 1983 Miyata 1200, Riv Roadeo, Trek Tandem, Swiss M93

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I used to commute same route each morning before sunrise. On morning a guy was waiting for someone, and he complained about the brightness of my headlight. So the next morning I had two headlights, and again he complained. The next morning I had three, and he was actually amused!
One December my wife pondered what I might want for Christmas, so I said headlights. My young son looked quite confused and asked, "Daddy, why would you want head lice?". It's truly amazing the lights available even compared to 20 years ago.
Old 01-01-24, 07:28 PM
Jay Turberville

Bikes: 1995 Trek 990 (configured for road), Hotrodded Dahon folder, Trek 1400 (not ridden any more), Iron Horse 3.0 homebrew e-bike, 1984 Trek 770 (trying to resurrect)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 131 Times in 80 Posts
Originally Posted by RustyWrench
I used to commute same route each morning before sunrise. On morning a guy was waiting for someone, and he complained about the brightness of my headlight. So the next morning I had two headlights, and again he complained. The next morning I had three, and he was actually amused!
One December my wife pondered what I might want for Christmas, so I said headlights. My young son looked quite confused and asked, "Daddy, why would you want head lice?". It's truly amazing the lights available even compared to 20 years ago.
Ages ago in the early '90s and before the advent of high power LED lamps, I was dismayed at the low power of most bike headlights. So I got a 7 AH 12v lead acid gel cell battery and modified a headlight to accept a 20 or 25 watt 12v halogen spotlight. It worked well and I could see down the road at night even when traveling at a good clip near 20 mph. I was pleased when occasionally oncoming traffic would flash their brights at me. Of course, I didn't want to annoy drivers and I'd tweak the headlight aim a bit in response. But it was good to know I was being seen just the same.
Old 01-01-24, 08:24 PM
ScottCommutes

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 366 Post(s)
Liked 273 Times in 175 Posts
Originally Posted by RustyWrench
It's truly amazing the lights available even compared to 20 years ago.
This perspective is so true! I commute 16 miles to work and coworkers ask how I could possibly do this. My honest reply is that everything in cycling (and roads, and clothing, and cars, and Amazon, etc.) is so much better than it was 20 years ago when I last tried commuting to work. They think cycling nowadays is crazy hard I think it is crazy easy.
Old 01-02-24, 12:24 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4415 Post(s)
Liked 4,868 Times in 3,013 Posts
Originally Posted by JoeyBike
You likely have a driveway or garage for your power source placement, don't do long road trips, and don't mind dropping 10K every time your battery bank needs replacing.

I would say ^^THIS boils down to a select few motorists who depend fully on one car for every motorized transportation need. Two electric cars would eliminate even more people from this select group.
driveway and garage charging - yes
Long road trips - yes occasionally, up to around 800 miles, no issues. Annual mileage around 15k miles
2 electric cars - yes, my wife has one too.
£10k for battery replacement - not an issue for me, I don't run them out of warranty (8 years, 120k miles)

Electric doesn't work for everyone, but hardly a select few.
Old 01-02-24, 06:02 PM
Jay Turberville

Bikes: 1995 Trek 990 (configured for road), Hotrodded Dahon folder, Trek 1400 (not ridden any more), Iron Horse 3.0 homebrew e-bike, 1984 Trek 770 (trying to resurrect)

Originally Posted by PeteHski
driveway and garage charging - yes
Long road trips - yes occasionally, up to around 800 miles, no issues. Annual mileage around 15k miles
2 electric cars - yes, my wife has one too.
£10k for battery replacement - not an issue for me, I don't run them out of warranty (8 years, 120k miles)

Electric doesn't work for everyone, but hardly a select few.
I'd say it's probably not a majority, but it might be close to 50% who would benefit long term financially by buying an electric. But my experience with talking with people about their car purchases is that most don't do a good job of calculating true operating costs over time. Their car purchase are typically more emotion driven than financial. So their perceptions may not reflect reality. That goes both for people who buy electric and for those who do not.
Old 01-03-24, 06:42 AM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by Jay Turberville
I'd say it's probably not a majority, but it might be close to 50% who would benefit long term financially by buying an electric. But my experience with talking with people about their car purchases is that most don't do a good job of calculating true operating costs over time. Their car purchase are typically more emotion driven than financial. So their perceptions may not reflect reality. That goes both for people who buy electric and for those who do not.
The biggest cost of car ownership is usually depreciation and almost certainly so if buying a new car. As it happens my electric cars have had the lowest depreciation of any new car I’ve ever owned. Daily running costs have also been far lower.
Old 01-03-24, 08:38 AM
jon c. 

Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,020 Times in 572 Posts
The move to electric vehicles has been a bit slower than I would have imagined, but it seems clear that they will comprise the majority of vehicles in another decade or so.

I have no plans to buy one, but probably will at some point if I live long enough.
Old 01-03-24, 09:50 AM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by jon c.
The move to electric vehicles has been a bit slower than I would have imagined, but it seems clear that they will comprise the majority of vehicles in another decade or so.

I have no plans to buy one, but probably will at some point if I live long enough.
I think the speed of transition to electric depends a lot on where you live. Here in the UK there has been a large increase in the number of EVs over the last couple of years. The overall percentage of new car EV sales is still quite low (I think around 15-20%) but is growing rapidly. I’m 100% sure my kids will never consider owning an ICE car.
Old 01-03-24, 12:08 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2496 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 523 Posts
Originally Posted by jon c.

Sorry, gonna call you out a little bit, you just in the other thread criticized those who post off-topic. What does this have to do with cycling? I wouldn't normally be annoyed, because I don't personally think going off topic is the worst thing a person can do. But to expect other people to take on the heavy lift of going to an all EV world is just too much. How are EV's going to "comprise the majority of vehicles in another decade", if people like you don't have any plans to buy one? Most cars built in the last 20 years can easily last two, three and much more decades. I see 50 year old cars everyday, and I don't mean fanatically well maintained examples at a Classic Car Show. There may come a time when people are forced to buy an EV even though their ICE car has plenty of life left. Life, but not necessarily a dollar value that can be used to leverage the purchase.
Old 01-03-24, 12:19 PM
jon c. 

Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,020 Times in 572 Posts
Originally Posted by Leisesturm
Sorry, gonna call you out a little bit, you just in the other thread criticized those who post off-topic.
Not exactly. Was a bit more specific than that. And given your response that does seem to be the basis of your objection.

But point taken. I was indeed engaging in a continuing conversation that is at best only tangentially related to cycling.

Last edited by jon c.; 01-03-24 at 12:49 PM.
Old 01-03-24, 12:20 PM
SpedFast
Just Pedaling

Bikes: YEP!

Quoted: 334 Post(s)
Liked 522 Times in 348 Posts
I think the speed of transition to electric depends a lot on where you live. Here in the UK there has been a large increase in the number of EVs over the last couple of years. The overall percentage of new car EV sales is still quite low (I think around 15-20%) but is growing rapidly. I’m 100% sure my kids will never consider owning an ICE car.
A lot of the people that I know in the UK don't 'need' to own a vehicle at all. In fact, most of them don't. Your public transpo is so much more available than here in the states. I use my truck once a week if at all, but I need it for what I do. The alternative is much more cost prohibitive. I will probably never own an EV or Ebike. Just don't see that being an option for me.
Old 01-03-24, 01:08 PM
Alan K

Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 333 Times in 259 Posts
Originally Posted by john m flores
Blinky lights make great stocking stuffers.
Yes, I have done that many times over the years.
Likes For Alan K:
Old 01-03-24, 05:21 PM
Alan K

I'm pretty sure that technology will either save us or be our end. I hold a very hard line on that.
Why do I feel that “invention” of fire may have elicited very similar responses.
Likes For Alan K:
Old 01-03-24, 07:02 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1434 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 219 Posts
Originally Posted by Alan K
Why do I feel that “invention” of fire may have elicited very similar responses.
The jury is still out on the fire discovery thingy.
Old 01-03-24, 07:09 PM
Alan K

The jury is still out on the fire discovery thingy.
I bet problems with credible eye witnesses.
Likes For Alan K:
Old 01-04-24, 12:33 AM
Jay Turberville

The biggest cost of car ownership is usually depreciation and almost certainly so if buying a new car. As it happens my electric cars have had the lowest depreciation of any new car I’ve ever owned. Daily running costs have also been far lower.
Right. And that's something many people forget to factor in. Also insurance and registration/vehicle license tax tend to be greater costs with new cars and buyers will often pay more in interest over the years as well. This is one reason I just don't buy new cars. OK. One exception. we bought my wife a new 350z on her retirement.

For people who buy new cars and who do the vast majority of driving in the city, I'd expect the right electric car to give them net saving over time. Especially if they are inclined to own the car for at least a moderately long time and have a situation where they can effectively charge at home.
Old 01-04-24, 12:38 AM
Jay Turberville

Originally Posted by Leisesturm
<snip> Most cars built in the last 20 years can easily last two, three and much more decades. I see 50 year old cars everyday, and I don't mean fanatically well maintained examples at a Classic Car Show. There may come a time when people are forced to buy an EV even though their ICE car has plenty of life left. Life, but not necessarily a dollar value that can be used to leverage the purchase.
My plan is that my current 2006 350z with about 100,000 miles on it will be the last car I own. I think I can do that if it doesn't get wrecked. Part of that is because I don't drive it a lot, using my ebike instead. I hope that mention doesn't take this even further off-topic. :^)

Last edited by Jay Turberville; 01-04-24 at 11:34 AM.
Old 01-04-24, 08:53 AM
john m flores 
Rider. Wanderer. Creator.

Bikes: Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, Cinelli Hobootleg, Zizzo Liberte

Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 781 Times in 377 Posts
Yes, I have done that many times over the years.
And reflective ankle bands.
Insta: JohnMichaelFlores | TikTok: @johnnymotoflores
Old 01-04-24, 11:08 AM
Alan K

You likely have a driveway or garage for your power source placement, don't do long road trips, and don't mind dropping 10K every time your battery bank needs replacing.

I would say ^^THIS boils down to a select few motorists who depend fully on one car for every motorized transportation need. Two electric cars would eliminate even more people from this select group.
You may want to check on the prices of batteries, you may be off by 50-80%.
When Tesla came out with their wonder machines, a friend bought one with higher capacity battery to increase the range by additional 75-100 miles for about $10 surcharge (don’t remember the exact figure now). He tried to convince me to get one too, one of his supporting argument was that I’ll never have to buy gasoline. My immediate response was that you have already paid upfront for all the gasoline I might ever buy.

There are a few other reasons that make me less than enthusiastic about purchasing a Tesla, including the quality of how it is put together… which will probably improve with time. Last year a friend’s son’s Tesla’s front wheel took off on own accord on the highway, leaving the car and driver behind - a little too automagicy for my comfort!
Old 01-04-24, 11:13 AM
SpedFast
Just Pedaling

Bikes: YEP!

Quoted: 334 Post(s)
Liked 522 Times in 348 Posts
I bet problems with credible eye witnesses.
They were probably blinded by the light....
Old 01-04-24, 11:17 AM
Alan K

Originally Posted by john m flores
And reflective ankle bands.
Yes, my package has included four things, a front LED light, a rear light that can be seen from the side as well, a pair of reflective bands and 3M adhesive backed tape that cab glued on the helmet and fenders etc.

I highly recommend wearing screamingly loud shiny yellow or orange outer layer with reflective strips while riding a bicycle, which I always do. Don’t want give an excuse for anyone that they couldn’t see me.
Likes For Alan K:
Old 01-04-24, 11:25 AM
Alan K

My plan is that my current 2006 350z with about 100,000 miles on it will be the last car I won. I think I can do that if it doesn't get wrecked. Part of that is because I don't drive it a lot, using my ebike instead. I hope that mention doesn't take this even further off-topic. :^)

Most Japanese cars last 200,000 miles with routine nominal maintenance work. Toyota among them seem exceptionally good.
We have had a couple of Honda (Accura) over the years, they weren’t bad but not quite as good as the ones made by Tiyota. Our Accura started having problems with engine mounts - something to do with the type of synthetic material they used for dampening vibrations. We were told by our mechanic that it’s a common problem with them. It already had about 180,000 miles so we decided to donate it.
Old 01-04-24, 11:39 AM
Jay Turberville

Most Japanese cars last 200,000 miles with routine nominal maintenance work. Toyota among them seem exceptionally good.
We have had a couple of Honda (Accura) over the years, they weren’t bad but not quite as good as the ones made by Tiyota. Our Accura started having problems with engine mounts - something to do with the type of synthetic material they used for dampening vibrations. We were told by our mechanic that it’s a common problem with them. It already had about 180,000 miles so we decided to donate it.
Yes. Toyota and Honda seem the best. Unfortunately, the one Toyota I owned was stolen and both Hondas were destroyed via rear end collision at a stop light. Yes, the universe has a sense of humor.
Old 01-04-24, 02:23 PM
Alan K

Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
This post is nothing but P&R contrarian rebelliousness which is a more PC moniker than bat-poop crazy.
But this the kosher narrative so it’s ok. The only thing I didn’t like about it that my infrequent consumption of yummy cows and milk is implicated as a bad thing. A ver unholy thing to do!

Last edited by Alan K; 01-04-24 at 02:48 PM. Reason: Spolling
Old 01-04-24, 02:45 PM
Alan K

Yes. Toyota and Honda seem the best. Unfortunately, the one Toyota I owned was stolen and both Hondas were destroyed via rear end collision at a stop light. Yes, the universe has a sense of humor.
That’s unfortunate!

One of our children’s Honda Accord was recycled by the Nature last year.

We had quite a few rains during the week or two and the ground was already saturated. One morning I went to get some half & half for our coffee/tea, and less than 20 minutes later came back to see the car completely destroyed.

Now those of you who may be under the impression that corporations do not believe in God, you would be very mistaken. Insurances are firm believers in God, at least when it helps them getting out of making payments for damages by labeling such events as an “Act of God”!

The car looked like new before the Nature decided to recycle it, we even had a new set of tires installed a month earlier. It did have about 146,000 miles. Some times things just happen over which we have no control.

Last edited by Alan K; 01-20-24 at 10:13 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.