Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Advise needed on bike lights for night riding

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-24, 03:18 PM
aboss3

Bikes: 2019 BMC Teammachine 02, 2019 Trek X-Caliber MTB, 2010 Specialized Allez Elite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Hi all, I'm getting back to road cycling after a getting into MTB with my kids. I started waking up early (call it a part of getting old), and looking for some lights to help me be more visible on the roads so I don't get hit by the cars. I'm looking for some inexpensive recommendations from you all as to what you use. My requirements are: 1000 lumens front and 150+ lumens back lights, and must be usb-c rechargeable. Please let me know your suggestions. Thanks all!!

P.S. My bike is my good old BMC Teammachine 03 back from 2019 pre-covid days with shimano 105 all around .
Old 03-06-24, 03:48 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3432 Post(s)
Liked 3,567 Times in 1,793 Posts
I've been using Cygolite for many years, day and night.

The Metro series meets your requirements.

Likes For terrymorse:
Old 03-06-24, 11:46 PM
Canker

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 330 Post(s)
Liked 209 Times in 133 Posts
https://magicshine.com/products/evo-...ted-bike-light
I'm just posting that as an example but I'd go for something with a good cut off if it is for road and road only so you don't blind cars.
Old 03-07-24, 12:51 AM
choddo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 682 Post(s)
Liked 453 Times in 338 Posts
It’s not cheap but I cannot recommend the Varia 515 highly enough. Having that extra pair of “eyes” for an early warning about cars behind is a total game changer. It’s also MicroUSB but :shrug:

Front, I’ve had a few Lezyne lights, all been very good. MicroDrive 800+ seems to fit the bill but I haven’t tried it.

Last edited by choddo; 03-07-24 at 12:54 AM.
Likes For choddo:
Old 03-07-24, 02:59 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3148 Post(s)
Liked 1,713 Times in 1,034 Posts
1000/150 lumens is overkill for the road. Well, maybe if you’re bombing 45mph descents in pitch black, 1k lumens might be nice out front, but 150 out back? I get the “brighter is better” line of thought and won’t argue against that, but will point out that drivers have to be looking to see and sober to react properly. Without getting into how crash data plays out, I’ll just say that there are more lighting options at better prices at lower lumen ratings.

Personally, I’m quite happy running 100/65 for flashing marker lights day or night, and find 700 lumens sufficient for a night headlight on dark roads, and for mostly lighted urban roads at night, half of that.

None of that is to dissuade the OP from 1k/150 lumens, it’s just to remind that not being a stickler on random lumens ratings will open up options. That said, the Outbound Detour is a really nice, 1.2k lumen headlight:

https://www.outboundlighting.com/col...roducts/detour

Lezyne taillights are among my faves, and the new Strip Drive 300+ is a 300 lumen monster; my original model Strip Drive is probably at least 8 years old— I still use it!— and was rated at 70 lumens, so the tech has come a long way. There’s a 400 lumen model, too.

https://ride.lezyne.com/products/str...-300-plus-rear
Likes For chaadster:
Old 03-07-24, 05:38 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,245 Times in 623 Posts
What is Your Budget for Lights?
I started Cheap till I got more $.00

Get some Strobes for Day Safety.
They will then have your Nights Covered.

Old 03-10-24, 08:04 AM
cweb99

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 58 Posts
Nite Rider lights are good. I run two lights in the front a 650 and 350 have them angled for more coverage and I have a 100 on my helmet. And the rear is 150. This is my night setup.
Old 03-11-24, 05:43 AM
shapiroeric

Bikes: Storck Aerfast Platinum

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 26 Posts
I ride early morning hence about 1.5-2 hours of total darkness....I have 2 Garmin UT800 lights mounted as one is good for about 50-60 minutes at full brightness (not the 1.5 hours claimed) which I use as many of the roads have no street lights.....the second one I can lower down after about a half hours and lasts the rest of the way.....

Last edited by shapiroeric; 03-11-24 at 05:51 AM.
Old 03-11-24, 07:18 AM
slow rollin

Bikes: n+1

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 26 Posts
I run nite riders. While ago I had the old ones with the separate battery you would mount to the Downtube, and then that ****** wire connector to the light. Had one on the bars, and for mountain biking had one on the helmet. IMO it's a game changer for mountain biking at night. Admittedly I didn't go crazy fast at night but you could easily see all the detail of the trail, instead of your bike bouncing around and the light jittering. On the road I just run a niterider lumina in the lowest power setting, so bright with road lights that I can almost go without a light on some nights.
Watch out for deer if they are in your area. Used to see them every night, and I really don't want to hit one.
Old 03-11-24, 01:19 PM
tFUnK

Bikes: Too many bikes, too little time to ride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 431 Post(s)
Liked 460 Times in 318 Posts
Light and Motion up front and a Magene radar taillight in the back. The L&M is 500 or 750 lumens but I mostly use the slow pulse and low settings. On a river trail I might go with medium. This is mostly due to battery runtime considerations but it's also been adequate for me.
Old 03-11-24, 02:50 PM
Calsun
Banned

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 288 Posts
First step is to have a high visibility jacket. I am constantly seeing guys with a bright but tiny rear light and then wearing a dark top that makes them invisible. I almost drove over a fellow in black pants and a black sweatshirt out at nigh on a road where there are no street lights at all. I managed to see the up and down movement of his pedal's reflectors and that was why I did not hit him.

We are far more likely to notice a moving light than a bright light. Pedal reflectors are one option as is the use of a bike light that attaches just above your calf and so will move up and down as you pedal.

Studies of accident with motorists and motorcycle riders have shown that a white helmet is much safer and naturally more visible than a black helmet. Either buy a white bike helmet or add white reflective tape to your black helmet (which is what I did).
Old 03-12-24, 05:32 AM
shapiroeric

The main factor for in nighttime gear is reflectiveness.....everything can be black but if there is reflective material in the clothes than your all set. Even better is reflective socks as you get the added benefit of motion....
Old 03-12-24, 11:17 AM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 1,306 Times in 560 Posts
Outbound Lighting I became a dealer last year. They are also made in the US (and local). Before them I had used a plethora of different Cygolite and Nightrider units that I did really like. The Outbound units outperform them in the "usability" of the light IMHO. A ton of light where I need it and not in driver's eyes. I am more visible and I can see great and the battery lasts a long time. Also their service is second to none.

Old 03-12-24, 12:04 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Originally Posted by shapiroeric
The main factor for in nighttime gear is reflectiveness.....everything can be black but if there is reflective material in the clothes than your all set. Even better is reflective socks as you get the added benefit of motion....
Reflective gear is okay, but outside the limited range where it works, it doesn't:

"A reflector functions only when a light is shining on it, the driver's eye is directly behind the light, the driver is going slowly if there's bad fog, etc. etc. etc."

Cycle Sense: Why Reflectors Don't Work

Likes For terrymorse:
Old 03-12-24, 12:43 PM
shapiroeric

Originally Posted by terrymorse
Reflective gear is okay, but outside the limited range where it works, it doesn't:

"A reflector functions only when a light is shining on it, the driver's eye is directly behind the light, the driver is going slowly if there's bad fog, etc. etc. etc."

Cycle Sense: Why Reflectors Don't Work
I should have been more clear. Lights are the most important thing but when it comes to clothing reflective is more important than bright colors in the dark.....
Likes For shapiroeric:
Old 03-12-24, 01:29 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Originally Posted by shapiroeric
I should have been more clear. Lights are the most important thing but when it comes to clothing reflective is more important than bright colors in the dark.....
I don't know about that, either. Bright clothing doesn't require a light shining on it from the viewer's location, and in low light conditions, the high vis fabric is more visible than reflective material.

Unless you're in total darkness, I'd still choose a high vis kit over some dark jacket with reflective bits.

Old 03-12-24, 06:45 PM
marko_1111

Bikes: several. all favorites.

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 10 Posts
I've been riding big bright lights for a very long time, and I've found that a big headlight is highly visible from the front and rear. It's just a huge display announcing you're on the road. They're as bright as car headlights, and it's pretty obvious drivers can see me when they wait at stop signs as if I'm a motorcycle. Likewise, I've had drivers approaching from the rear give me extra room. It's confidence inspiring for me.

That said, great 180 degree tail lights are easy to find and aren't all that expensive. So get one of those, and yes on reflective gear - like everything you're wearing ought to have reflective elements. I focus on feet and head and hands since you can be recognized as a person when cars shine light on you. I also have reflective sidewalls on my night riding bike.

Highly recommend Light & Motion. I've been a huge fan for years - since their HID 'as seen from space' light. I use the external battery Seca units, but the self-contained ones have come a long way.

They're having a pretty good sale, and I'm gonna have to talk myself out of picking up one of these:

https://lightandmotion.com/collectio...seca-comp-2000
Old 03-12-24, 08:19 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6972 Post(s)
Liked 10,968 Times in 4,692 Posts
Originally Posted by choddo
It’s not cheap but I cannot recommend the Varia 515 highly enough. Having that extra pair of “eyes” for an early warning about cars behind is a total game changer. It’s also MicroUSB but :shrug:

Front, I’ve had a few Lezyne lights, all been very good. MicroDrive 800+ seems to fit the bill but I haven’t tried it.
Ditto on the Garmin Varia tail light, assuming you are running a compatible computer.

And for the people telling you that you don't need 1000 lumens -- well, it depends on your riding. Most rechargeable headlights last about 90 mins on their brightest setting. In case I want to ride longer, it's nice to run a very powerful light set to its medium (or even low) setting for longer battery life. e.g., my light runs 90 mins at 1300 lm, but 3 hours at 800 lm and 6 hrs at 400 lm. I'd rather have the capacity and not need it than vice-versa.
Old 03-13-24, 03:37 PM
aboss3

Bikes: 2019 BMC Teammachine 02, 2019 Trek X-Caliber MTB, 2010 Specialized Allez Elite

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks all for the suggestions! I ended up buying the Towild bike lights on Amazon (had to get 1 front and 2x back lights for mtb and road bike), and did my first 20-mile ride early morning today at 5:30. It was still very dark, but the lights worked well given the price compared to other brands. Now I need to focus on the clothing as nothing I got is reflective. It was a bit weird at first with cars going pass me on a 45 mph street, but I got used to it and got more confidence as the ride went. Thanks all!