Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Introduce Yourselves!

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-09, 11:06 AM
mrosen51

Bikes: Cannondale T800

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Shoes & Right Fit

I am 6'4" tall and weigh about 290 and am 61 yrs old ... I had a pair of Sidi Mega's (and my foot was narrow) in a 51cm (size 14-15) while my actual shoe size is 52 (largest size made by Sidi in only ONE model ... not a lot of choice) and got the regular width in size 52 and it made SUCH a difference from my old shoes which I had taken because they were in the bike shop and "sortof" fit. Having the right shoes is VERY IMPORTANT as far as I am concerned!

I just put together a new ride - all off of ebay auctions or "buy now" items - I build a Bianchi C2C 928 all carbon "relaxed comfort" type bike to replace my Cannondale T-800 Touring bike which had 5000 miles on it in 3 years. I put all Ultegra components and Ksyrium Race Lites on for wheels. What a great deal ... all it cost (all parts less labor) were for $1650 total with most all components new (frame & wheels were used but low miles). I am attaching a few pictures of the bike to this posting ... let me know what you think!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Bianchi.JPG (14.7 KB, 32 views)
CIMG1020.jpg (94.3 KB, 49 views)
Old 06-24-09, 12:08 AM
ukulele59

Bikes: a cannondale/some frankenstein Mtn thing

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i'm (almost) 50 years old, 5'8" and as of this AM i weigh 275, down from 320. i did weigh 350 a few years ago. i switched my diet from garbage disposal to Vegan (no animal products), and started riding recently.
i have a Cannondale Hybrid (older) and a custom Mtn bike with lots of bells and whistles. i'm actually going to yank off the knobbys and slap on some slicks this weekend. i got both bikes from a friend of mine who used to be a bike dealer, so both bikes are in great shape and i paid pennies on the dollar for them (less than 10% of the original cost).

i used to ride a lot when i was younger. my first bike was a Schwinn Stingray (red, with a silver sparkle banana seat-the best present a 10 year old could get), when i was 12 i worked all summer mowing lawns and waxing cars so i could to buy a 10 speed.
i bought a used Motobecane. it was forest green with pink fading to white forks. weirdo bike for sure. it had been in an accident so the front forks and wheel had been replaced. i rode that bike for 6 years and tens of thousands of miles. when i returned home on leave after boot camp i found out that my mother had thrown it out (along with all my other stuff) when she had moved to another state. "i didn't want to schlep your crap to my new house."
sigh. it was a great bike.
anyway, my goal now is to continue to defy those who predicted my early demise, lose more weight, get lots of mileage under my belt, and in 5 or so years ride across America.
Old 06-24-09, 09:55 AM
BillMoore

Bikes: 2008 Cannondale F5

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My names Bill, 40 y.o., 5' 6.5", currently at 211-215 lbs (I did weigh 249 at my heaviest). I have a variety of issues to include diabetes and not only do I have too much fat on my front and back I have too much on my liver too. So, that has prompted me to start getting things in order and getting back to the sfvelt (sp) 185 lbs I weighed when I was 18. Still too heavy for someone 5' 6" but the 185 is my goal. Doc wants 190 within a year. So, since I have started the change in food, eating habits and exercise, I have dropped a little over 10lbs in about a month or so. My blood sugar has dropped from a steady 250 and just a few minutes ago I checked it and it was 99. Lowest I have ever seen it in my life. However, I am still fasting from having blood drawn this morning. I am slowly working to get myself where I am a former Clyde. Great to be here with everyone else.
Old 06-24-09, 10:05 AM
Tom Stormcrowe
Out fishing with Annie on his lap, a cigar in one hand and a ginger ale in the other, watching the sunset.

Bikes: Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by BillMoore
My names Bill, 40 y.o., 5' 6.5", currently at 211-215 lbs (I did weigh 249 at my heaviest). I have a variety of issues to include diabetes and not only do I have too much fat on my front and back I have too much on my liver too. So, that has prompted me to start getting things in order and getting back to the sfvelt (sp) 185 lbs I weighed when I was 18. Still too heavy for someone 5' 6" but the 185 is my goal. Doc wants 190 within a year. So, since I have started the change in food, eating habits and exercise, I have dropped a little over 10lbs in about a month or so. My blood sugar has dropped from a steady 250 and just a few minutes ago I checked it and it was 99. Lowest I have ever seen it in my life. However, I am still fasting from having blood drawn this morning. I am slowly working to get myself where I am a former Clyde. Great to be here with everyone else.
There are no former Clyde's, you get an Emeritus Certificate and hang around after you make your goal as an honored member still, as an example of success.

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant
Old 06-24-09, 10:26 AM
kaljr82

Bikes: 2008 Fuji Newest 3.0 (My first ever road bike)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
New Clydesdale Here!!

I am 5'9" and 220 lbs. This is the least I have weighed in Many years. As of last September I was 275 but thanks to weight watchers and tons of exercise I have shed over 50 pounds and am well on my way to 200lbs.
I just got my first road bike a month ago and love it so far. It is a 2008 Fuji Newest 3.0. also bought my wife her first road bike last week so she now rides with me as well. I got her a 2008 Jamis Ventura Sport Femme and she loves it.
I look forward to lots of fun posting here.
Old 06-25-09, 11:35 AM
Porkponey
Do a barrel roll.

Bikes: Trek 7.2 FX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
FIRST POST! I'm nate, I'm 23 and I absolutely love riding my bike. I bought it about a month ago and have dropped from 215 to 207.

At 5'7" 207 is a pretty big number, but I'm an active person and I wouldn't say I'm in completely awful condition. BUT I digress, I'm not here to sell myself. I'm here for the support of others trying to do the same thing I am; get all skinny and cute and what not. Anyways, I took a few pics for you. Sorry about the quality, I'm the photographer not the subject so I don't do very well just sitting the thing on the counter and letting it make the decisions for me.

Old 06-25-09, 08:11 PM
SchnauzerHerder

Bikes: Trek 820

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
21 years old, 6 foot 1, and presently (as of 5:45 am this morning) 223.5: This down from 230, which is down from 245, which in turn is down from 265 more than one year ago.

Riding a trek 820 MTB with upgraded pedals (as i have snapped every pair of plastic pedals I have ever used). So far it's riding great!
Old 06-26-09, 07:47 AM
markh15

Bikes: 1974 Raliegh International, Eisentraut 1977 road

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Clydesdales

I'm 215, 6' and 62 years old. I ride a Trek 520 and my old standby Eisentraut that dates from '77. They both do very well under the strain. I'd say whatever fits you and you're comfortable with.
Attached Images
PICT0640.jpg (52.2 KB, 28 views)
Bike1.jpg (100.5 KB, 26 views)
Old 06-29-09, 07:42 AM
Sam Wade
Doinga180

Bikes: Nashbar frame with Campagnolo components, Electra Townie

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by mrosen51
I just put together a new ride - all off of ebay auctions or "buy now" items - I build a Bianchi C2C 928 all carbon "relaxed comfort" type bike to replace my Cannondale T-800 Touring bike which had 5000 miles on it in 3 years. I put all Ultegra components and Ksyrium Race Lites on for wheels. What a great deal ... all it cost (all parts less labor) were for $1650 total with most all components new (frame & wheels were used but low miles). I am attaching a few pictures of the bike to this posting ... let me know what you think!
Sweet.
Old 06-29-09, 07:55 AM
Sam Wade
Doinga180

Bikes: Nashbar frame with Campagnolo components, Electra Townie

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Sam Wade from Oak Ridge, TN here. 307 down from 429. I currently ride an Electra Townie, but have built a Nashbar carbon/kineseum frame up with Full Campy Components to reward myself for getting under 300#. Next reward will be at 199 with an full-Campy Calnago Extreme Power.... Well, maybe a few saddles along the way but I am Starting the Nasbar bike out with a Selle An Atomica
Old 06-29-09, 08:32 AM
BillMoore

Bikes: 2008 Cannondale F5

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great work so far Sam. Thinking of getting my wife a Townie.
Old 06-29-09, 04:15 PM
Kroozin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My First post... Hello I'm Michael (forum: "Hi Mike"), I'm 45, and I'm a Clydesdale. I didn't know there was such a designation until reading it here but in some ways it's reassuring to read the posts from all the other big riders.

I'm 5'11", 255 lbs with lots of years in the gym being slowly overtaken by several years of poor eating habits. When I was fit I would weigh about 220 lbs so although the height/weight charts say I'm morbidly-obese I can make claim to just being big-boned (and regular-obese (if there is such a thing)).

As for riding, I just bought a Scattante CFR Elite road bike for me and my wife and I'm going to have my old Trek 9200 MTB repaired/tuned since it hasn't seen the light of day for several years. I used to ride a Nishiki road bike when I was in college so I'm hoping riding is going to once again be fun for me. I didn't buy my new carbon road bike for weight savings per se; I was mainly interested in vibration dampening. I know darn well I'm the heaviest variable on the bike so I'll focus on losing my weight and not worry about spending extra $$ to scrape a few grams of weight off the bike.

With my current weight and age, my knees are my weakest link (along with some back pains) so I needed a low-impact activity that would still provide a challenge and biking fits the bill. I haven't gone on my first ride yet (pick up the bikes today) but I'm looking forward to getting out on the roads soon!
Old 06-30-09, 03:15 AM
Neil_B

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Welcome new Clydes and Athenas! Always room in the stable for more!

Old 06-30-09, 03:35 AM
maxbicyclemax
See the sea? CDC?

Bikes: Giant OCR sport 2008, Giant Trance1 2007

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
hello all
Attached Images
P5160122.JPG (50.9 KB, 47 views)
Old 06-30-09, 11:56 AM
Push
Zeusmeatball

Bikes: 1976 Motobecane Nomade Sprint, 1988 Specialized Rockhopper comp, 1991 Schwinn Crisscross, 2009 K2 Zed 3.2, 2011 Trek X-Caliber Gary Fisher collection

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hey hey, I do believe that at 333 pounds and 6'5'' tall I am in the right forum I was not always this svelte young fella, just 17 months ago I was 534 pounds and am down 201 pounds and still going. I recently decided that advancing my healthy habits by getting on a bike was more important than possibly ending up on youtube starring in a camera phone vid titled "fat dude little bike" and broke down and bought a bike. I have literally had it for 3 days now and found this forum while looking for gadgets for it and now have found my way to this thread. I rode a stationary bike in the beginning, then walked, then ran and now I am on a bike again after oh I don't know 18 years or so?

Mid 30's Dad/Husband and I am looking forward to putting many miles on my new bike, its a K2 ZED 3.2 (if anyone has any opinions on this bike please say them, I have found almost no info online about this bike) and I literally walked past it hopped on and rode it around a bit, it felt good so the trigger was pulled, I have only ridden 4 miles on it the second day I had it and I have to admit that it was more of a workout than I first thought it would be, I have taken enough of your time with words, here is a pic of the new bike and I look forward to getting back on the road more often, cheers and all that.

As Ever
Me
Old 07-02-09, 06:26 PM
vivalaking

Bikes: 2014 Condor Superbird.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
hey! 6 foot 3 and 250 lbs here, im riding a bone stock 1973 schwinn superior 10 speed. my ideal weight is around 220 so ive still got some work to do, and the bike is going to help me get there.
Old 07-02-09, 10:32 PM
Dion Rides

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Hey folks... since I'm over 200lbs. I guess I fit in here. I posted a vid of my garage workout when I'm not riding or if I don't want to hang out with the lazy, stand-around crowd at 24 Hour Fitness.

Here you go: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5w6MI9HeuN0

Even when I go to the gym, my workouts are similar, only with weights, and I actually do a lot more variation. I'm thinking about adding weights to my garage, but we'll see. I thank www.rossboxing.com and my small stint in Mixed Martial Arts for this cross training regimine. BTW, I've never felt so dusted until my first session in "fighter's training". *puke*

Oh yeah, my bikes:

Fly Tierra Custom BMX
Motobecane Messenger Fixed Gear (48/16)
Motobecane Outcast 29'er SS
Surly Pacer Road Bike (build in process)

I ride about 100 mi. per week

And I roll around on one of these:

Last edited by Dion Rides; 07-02-09 at 10:39 PM.

Old 07-05-09, 07:42 AM
Thomasdregos

Bikes: Sears mountain bike, Nishiki Meridian hybrid, Schwinn CrossFit hybrid

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by earthirv
I'm 6'3" and 245 down from 268. I too have big feet, size 13 street shoes and size 14 running shoes.I a saw a pair of Shimano size 49 MTB shoes on sale for $75 online and bought them. Shimano seems to be the most reasonably priced shoes for big guys. I love the shoes and the SPD petals. I don't know about the width but as you lose weight your feet will get narrower. I have medium width feet. I ride a Cannondale R700, CAAD5 with 700x25 tires. Sidi makes shoe in big sizes but are expensive. Hope this helps. I like bicyclebuys.com for shoes and and bought a second pair.
It's true; I lost half a size.
Old 07-05-09, 06:59 PM
perryw

Bikes: Trek 7.3 FX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I guess I'll officially check in. I was in the low 300 range at 6'4", not sure where as I never stepped on the scale. Two years ago at the docs office I was 297, and I know I had lost some weight to that point. Had troubles eating and dropped to around 241 on the day I had a minor surgery to correct the problem last November, then back up to around 258. I started exercising in December 08, did a 5K running program, fought through some knee pain, etc. Got shin splints in May, took a couple weeks off, bought new shoes, still pain. In frustration, I went out and bought a bike - Trek 7.3 FX! I haven't owned a bike since my Huffy mountain bike in high school, and I'm 30!

I tell ya what - it's nice to finish my workout (15 miles this morning, my 3rd day with the bike!) exhausted rather than in pain. This is turning out to be an expensive hobby!

Oh, now I'm around 240. My long term goal is 210 - just a number out of a hat, really.
Old 07-05-09, 10:27 PM
javarilla
Trials bike victim

Bikes: IndyFab, Retrotec, Salsa, Masi, Czar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yo. New guy, checking in.

6'1", 270lbs. Ex-weightlifter. Seattlelite.

Mildly crazed enthusiast. Got a buncha bikes.

Independent Fabrications Club Racer - Rando dream bike. Too awesome for words.
Salsa Fargo - Mule for errands and groceries.
Retrotec SS 29er - Too pretty for offroading.
Masi Speciale Fixed - for bangin around fixie-style.
Czar Mod (aka Czarosaurus Wrecks) - for tearing the flesh off my legs.

Current goal is to ride a century. Ping me if you're local to Seattle.

Wish there was a very cool selection of jerseys for us bigger guys.
Old 07-06-09, 01:22 AM
assiduous5

Bikes: 1998 Specialized Allez Comp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am 5-11 and weigh 238...down from 248 3 weeks ago. It's all due to the riding. I ride a 1998 Specialized Allez Comp (58c).
Old 07-06-09, 06:17 PM
FORIAMBILL

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
6'5" and just south of 300. currently ride a giant sedona. I've been trying to decide on something new. (actually have a thread in cyclo forum) always have been fearful of bending a wheel. mixed riding with mostly paved trails. some grass/gravel. been this weight for ~10 years. proper eating and exercise or being sloth and pigging out, weight doesn't change. pants just fit differently. to me, the bike is for fun. I do 15 mile rides a couple times a week, 20-30 miles every now and then.
Old 07-06-09, 11:46 PM
Air
Destroyer of Wheels

Bikes: Surly LHT, Dahon folding bike. RIP Nishiki Sport, Downtube IXNS, 1950's MMB3 Russian Folding Bike, MTB

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Welcome all!!

It's the year of the enema!
Old 07-06-09, 11:59 PM
tobinw

Bikes: Trek Madone 5.1, Trek 2300

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
First post as a Clydesdale...got the doctor wake up call at 45 (2005), decided to take on century rides as my methods of madness. Now four years later and I am up to 4 in a year (I seem to add one with every new year as a new level of motivation). Just set a personal best time of riding the Tahoe century in under 7 hours. Weight loss has ebbed and flowed as my seriousness and training improves. I am down 12 lbs since starting this mission 245 - 233. I hit 224 for my first century (fear driven training). I see 225 in my future for the 9.12 Century I am currently training for. I think 210 is my ultimate goal for next year. Best thing about biking - is the community of people, not to mention how good it feels to work up a sweet and check a box of accomplishment.
Old 07-07-09, 08:18 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 896 Post(s)
Liked 2,065 Times in 1,081 Posts
My Wii fit weighed me at 199.8 today - woo hoo. Except... my official weight has been on the scale at work, which still shows me at 202. No celebration quite yet.

I have to say the daily graphing done by the wii is great positive reinforcement - and negative when I misbehave.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.