Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Pros or Cons of this Type Seat Post Seat Clamp

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-16, 08:34 PM
dksix

Bikes: Basso Luguna, Fuji Nevada

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4261 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 1 Post

I'm looking at new seat post and was planning to buy a 2 bolt style but have found some with seat clamping bolts from the side. Is there any advantages and disadvantages to this or is it just a personal preference?

Bontrager Race x Lite Acc Carbon Seatpost Road Mountain | eBay
Old 10-08-16, 09:05 PM
Kaze6

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
One advantage is that seat angle is much easier to adjust. This can be useful on such things as century rides, where one angle is perfect at the start, but becomes not so perfect after you get "worn in" . . .
Old 10-08-16, 09:25 PM
dksix

Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Kaze6
One advantage is that seat angle is much easier to adjust. This can be useful on such things as century rides, where one angle is perfect at the start, but becomes not so perfect after you get "worn in" . . .
But no issues with this style of clamp slipping or being hard to dial in?
Old 10-08-16, 10:04 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
You will absolutely have to use friction paste where the cone shaped pieces fit into the recesses in the seatpost. Or it will slip, I guarantee it. And because it has to have friction paste in it, making small adjustments usually involves you punching the saddle alternately from the top and bottom to get the angle right. Source: I picked one up for $10 on eBay, fought with it for a month or two, and then bought my Thomson.

It is really, really light, though.
Old 10-08-16, 10:07 PM
gecho

Bikes: 2009 Trek 520

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 130 Posts
My Trek 520 came with a clamp like that. Fine angle adjustments were tricky, something I find important as I use Brooks saddles which can be finicky angle wise. All my seatposts now are the two bolt style that allow for very fine angle adjustments.

Under normal riding I didn't have it slip, but I had it slip several times during some offroad riding when I came down hard toward the front of the saddle.

Also with a Brooks saddle the side leather extends close to the adjustment hole, so you can gouge up the saddle using a multi-tool to adjust it. That is one of the reasons I ditched the multi-tool for individual hex wrenches.
Old 10-08-16, 11:58 PM
robertosmith
Expert

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dksix
I'm looking at new seat post and was planning to buy a 2 bolt style but have found some with seat clamping bolts from the side. Is there any advantages and disadvantages to this or is it just a personal preference?

Requires no maintenance
+ Cheap
+ Low weight
+ Can be adjusted to any height
- Rider must dismount to lower and raise seat
Old 10-09-16, 07:55 AM
coupster

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 32 Posts
I had one of those. Friction paste req'd, finicky setup, slipped at the most inopportune times. IMO give it a pass and get a post with a 2 bolt clamp - 1 front 1 back. I'll send you a dose of frustration, just send me all your banking and id info.
Old 10-09-16, 09:22 AM
dksix

Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
Thanks everyone. I think I'll pass on it and go with a 2 bolt design just to be safe.

Again, thanks for the advice.
Old 10-09-16, 09:24 AM
Berg417448
Troublemaker

Bikes: Yes. The more the better.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
You will absolutely have to use friction paste where the cone shaped pieces fit into the recesses in the seatpost. Or it will slip, I guarantee it. And because it has to have friction paste in it, making small adjustments usually involves you punching the saddle alternately from the top and bottom to get the angle right. Source: I picked one up for $10 on eBay, fought with it for a month or two, and then bought my Thomson.

It is really, really light, though.
I have that exact seatpost on one of my bikes. No slipping and no friction paste.
Old 10-09-16, 09:36 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
I got a Race Face seat post.. it clamps the rails from the sides,
the saddle Fizik Vitesse CP3 has a shell designed to have extra Padding on top by doming the shell downward under neath.

so the clearance over the seat post top end lets the shell flex without bottoming out on the end of the seat post..
that is an advantage in this particular, combination, case.

It is 2 bolt, the 2nd bolt controls the angle, thru a linkage to a clamp around the seat post itself.

the shaft- tube is thinwall aluminum . not Carbon.

'/,

Last edited by fietsbob; 10-09-16 at 09:46 AM.
Old 10-09-16, 10:24 AM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3242 Post(s)
Liked 2,089 Times in 1,182 Posts
Originally Posted by dksix

I would guess that if you are adjusting your seat position a lot, having side bolts would be useful.

I have never found a standard bottom bolt(s) design to be an issue as I tend to leave the position alone, having spent time getting saddle angle and front/rear location dialed in. I then leave it alone for years. I like the Ritchey aluminum 2 bolt design.

There is an advantage to having a 2 bolt post, in the event a bolt breaks. Riding back home with no seat is a huge PITA, no pun intended.
Old 10-09-16, 02:02 PM
John_V 

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 85 Posts
I have plenty of riding buddies that own Trek bikes with that style seat post and have not heard any complaints from them about adjustment issues. The one issue that I do know of with that style saddle, especially if you tend to lean to one side when riding, is their use with ISM Adamo saddles. If you don't ever plan on using an ISM Adamo saddle, then you are good to go.

The problem with that style saddle clamp with an Adamo saddle is that one of the prongs will tend to drop lower than the other because each rail is clamped by just one bolt on the side. My friend at ISM told me it was due to two things 1) not torquing the clamp bolts down to their specified value and 2) not riding square in the saddle (leaning to one side or the other).

So if you might consider using an ISM with that style seat clamp and tend to lean to one side or the other while riding, consider using a Cobb saddle instead. They have a piece that goes below the front of the prongs to keep their saddle from ever having one prong lower than the other.

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress