Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Felt FR

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-23, 03:18 PM
ArgoMan

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 22 Posts
Felt FR

Hey everyone. Has anyone had any experience with newer Felt FR bikes? I also see one marketed as an FR1. Is there any difference between that and a typical FR?
Old 07-21-23, 08:31 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,810 Times in 3,318 Posts
A lot of times the number after the model just signifies the tier level of the bike and the groupset and wheels that come with it. But googling, It looks like it might be the frame differences that they made back in 2016.

https://www.bikeradar.com/features/a...-race-chassis/

If you look at the new Felt FR's and go to the specs, they say for the top dollar ones that the frame is the FR3 today. So not something you know unless you look at the specs.
Old 07-24-23, 12:54 PM
Voodoo76
Blast from the Past

Bikes: Felt FR1, Ridley Excal, CAAD10, Trek 5500, Cannondale Slice

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 43 Posts
I have two FR1's. Started with a 2018 built with DA9000. I ran across a 2019 later and built it up with with Ultegra to use on some travels. Really nice frame, and for me a perfect fit in 58 with just 5mm of spacer under a 100mm stem. Very nice ride, stiff in the front. Has enough tire clearance for 25's or 28's on wide HED wheels. The only unusual feature is a chain stay mounted rear brake (rim brake bikes). A little fiddly to set up at first but I've had no issues in use.
Old 07-25-23, 09:57 AM
ArgoMan

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 22 Posts
"chain stay mounted rear brake". Oh my. Do typical rim brake calipers fit onto a frame in such a way, or do we need a special rear brake or mount? Thanks!
Old 07-27-23, 01:24 PM
Voodoo76
Blast from the Past

Bikes: Felt FR1, Ridley Excal, CAAD10, Trek 5500, Cannondale Slice

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 43 Posts
Originally Posted by ArgoMan
"chain stay mounted rear brake". Oh my. Do typical rim brake calipers fit onto a frame in such a way, or do we need a special rear brake or mount? Thanks!
It is a direct mount rear brake caliper. An example would be the Ultegra 6810, just the brake no special mount required.