Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Rear facing camera (or: evidence against aggressive drivers)

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Rear facing camera (or: evidence against aggressive drivers)

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-23, 10:44 AM
SpedFast
Just Pedaling

Bikes: YEP!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 334 Post(s)
Liked 522 Times in 348 Posts
Originally Posted by Smaug1
One cyclist in my area has a camera conspicuously mounted on top of his helmet. He rides on busy roads in afternoon rush hour (no good choices here) and even when there are no shoulders, he gets plenty of room from motorists.

I think that's better than a rear-facing radar/camera/light that looks only like a light.

People nowadays won't do the right thing unless they think they will get caught. No personal integrity at all.
I get the same respect from autos when I have my night riding headlight on my helmet during the day because motorists mistakenly believe it's a camera. I actually do have a camera, but only mount it on the helmet for special events. Usually it's on the bike.
Edit: It's kinda funny when people wave at me because they believe they're being recorded.
Likes For SpedFast:
Old 12-04-23, 05:51 PM
JohnJ80

Bikes: N+1=5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 245 Times in 181 Posts
Originally Posted by aliasfox
I've ridden thousands of miles without these things, and I have half a mind to argue the always on screen and the radar chirps actually detract from the pure enjoyment of cycling. But I also have to remember the reason I dropped (not insignificant!) coin on this setup is that I don't live in that idealized world where it's always a sunny 75F with good visibility, a clean and clear bike lane, and drivers that always pass with >10ft of clearance. So maybe not the tools for a perfect world, but good for the one we actually live in.
Most of my riding is in a rural setting so the audio and visual cues are much appreciated and useful. I do find that when riding through a more urban setting it can get to be less useful. Either way it's still beneficial in my book. If I forget it as I leave home, I turn around and go get it. Pretty useful device, IMO.
Likes For JohnJ80:
Old 12-05-23, 02:57 AM
choddo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 682 Post(s)
Liked 453 Times in 338 Posts
Originally Posted by Smaug1
People nowadays won't do the right thing unless they think they will get caught. No personal integrity at all.
Most people around here are pretty careful around cyclists. But you always get some dickheads. I refuse to believe they’re the norm.
Old 12-05-23, 09:53 AM
aliasfox

Bikes: Lynskey R270 Disc, Bianchi Vigorelli

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Liked 156 Times in 131 Posts
Originally Posted by choddo
Most people around here are pretty careful around cyclists. But you always get some dickheads. I refuse to believe they’re the norm.
Unfortunately, it doesn't take much of a mistake (as a cyclist) + one arrogant driver in a bad mood to turn a sketchy situation into a dangerous one.

Went out on my first group ride (three of us) with the Varia on Sunday. At one point, I pedaled ahead as the other two caught up (I had already been filled in, they hadn't seen each other in a while). I was about to yell 'car back!' until I glanced backwards and realized it was them two closing the gap .