Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Shimano Dura Ace WH R9100 C24

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-23, 06:28 PM
ArgoMan

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 22 Posts

Hey all. Any opinion on the Shimano Dura Ace WH R9100 C24 wheels? I see that they're priced around $1,100 new? Are they overpriced for an aluminum set? Worth the money? Will they make me a better rider than that Sepp Kuss fella? Many thanks!
Old 11-14-23, 06:45 PM
frdfandc

Bikes: 2013 Jamis Dragon Race

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 30 Posts
My only concern is how narrow they are. 15mm. Max tire width is a 28. I had the Ultegra tubeless wheels and I like them. Largest tire I could run on the bike was a Continental GP4000s in a 28. But if i wanted to run a 32, there are better options out their for less.
Old 11-14-23, 07:14 PM
ArgoMan

Originally Posted by frdfandc
My only concern is how narrow they are. 15mm. Max tire width is a 28. I had the Ultegra tubeless wheels and I like them. Largest tire I could run on the bike was a Continental GP4000s in a 28. But if i wanted to run a 32, there are better options out their for less.
I only run 28mm max, so it wouldn't be a concern. But can I beat Sepp Kuss if I ran 32's? I wonder .
Old 11-14-23, 07:15 PM
roadcrankr
Thread derailleur

Bikes: Merlin Extralight '94 & Cannondale Supersix '15

Quoted: 367 Post(s)
Liked 461 Times in 263 Posts
I currently use these DA wheels. My third generation - from 7800 onward.
Bulletproof suckers. Never put a spoke wrench to them, even after hitting some monstrous potholes.
Easy to rebuild the hubs, which I perform every 6k on the rear and 12k on the front.
I prefer the tubeless version, despite using tubed tires.
The 9100's earn my highest recommendation.
Old 11-14-23, 07:22 PM
ArgoMan

Thanks Roadcrankr! I currently have Zondas, but I may switch them out to my kid's bike. My wife was asking me what I want for Christmas and I've been sniffing around. I was looking at some Shamals and Fulcrum Zeros, but then came across the R9100's. I just want to be careful spending money foolishly (or having the wife spend it!). I don't have a ton of experience on different wheel sets. I don't want to switch out my Zondas, which are really nice, hoping to get something "better" that turns out to give no big advantage. So, in your opinion, are the 9100 fast, good climbers, ect..? What do they do well? Can I beat Sepp Kuss with them?
Old 11-14-23, 08:14 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6972 Post(s)
Liked 10,968 Times in 4,692 Posts
Originally Posted by ArgoMan
Will they make me a better rider than that Sepp Kuss fella?
But can I beat Sepp Kuss if I ran 32's? I wonder .
Can I beat Sepp Kuss with them?
I don’t know anything about those wheels, but I know that joke was not even funny the first time.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 11-14-23, 08:42 PM
vuurmot

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
Bought a Dura-ace titanium hubs WH-7850 carbon clinchers for $400 USD
You could consider looking for second hand wheels too
Old 11-14-23, 09:24 PM
roadcrankr
Thread derailleur

Bikes: Merlin Extralight '94 & Cannondale Supersix '15

Quoted: 367 Post(s)
Liked 461 Times in 263 Posts
Thanks Roadcrankr! I currently have Zondas, but I may switch them out to my kid's bike. My wife was asking me what I want for Christmas and I've been sniffing around. I was looking at some Shamals and Fulcrum Zeros, but then came across the R9100's. I just want to be careful spending money foolishly (or having the wife spend it!). I don't have a ton of experience on different wheel sets. I don't want to switch out my Zondas, which are really nice, hoping to get something "better" that turns out to give no big advantage. So, in your opinion, are the 9100 fast, good climbers, ect..? What do they do well? Can I beat Sepp Kuss with them?
I believe most consider the 9100's all-rounders. Not the lightest or heaviest or fastest.
Just very sturdy and reliable. Shimano makes deeper versions, too. And the pricing escalates from there.
Buy with confidence.
Old 11-15-23, 10:02 PM
ArgoMan

LOL....I guess my attemp at humor fell flat. But your reply actually gave me a chuckle!
Old 11-15-23, 10:51 PM
aliasfox

Bikes: Lynskey R270 Disc, Bianchi Vigorelli

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Liked 156 Times in 131 Posts
If money no object for alloy rim wheels, I’d look at the DT Swiss 1400 ERC DiCut. I think there’s an 1100 model too.

As for beating Sepp, you may want to look at the heaviest wheels you can find, and point you (and your bike) downhill. Even then, he may still out descend you.