Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

E Bike Car Replacement for Commute

Search
Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-23, 09:05 AM
NyoGoat

Bikes: CAAD10 105

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

The question is Cargo Bike or lighter Commuter bike for an E Bike car replacement.

The back story details: I do ride my regular road bike to work sometimes. I pick up daughter from activities after work frequently so I can't ride as much. My commute is 13 miles each way. Daughter is turning 16 next year and really wants us to get her her own car. I'm leaning towards getting an E Bike to manage my commute and letting her share my car. I want a cargo bike to make it easier to replace a full car but my commute is longer such that I wonder if I really should go the lighter commuter bike route
Old 01-24-24, 02:45 AM
Duragrouch

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 747 Post(s)
Liked 417 Times in 333 Posts
Originally Posted by NyoGoat
The question is Cargo Bike or lighter Commuter bike for an E Bike car replacement.

The back story details: I do ride my regular road bike to work sometimes. I pick up daughter from activities after work frequently so I can't ride as much. My commute is 13 miles each way. Daughter is turning 16 next year and really wants us to get her her own car. I'm leaning towards getting an E Bike to manage my commute and letting her share my car. I want a cargo bike to make it easier to replace a full car but my commute is longer such that I wonder if I really should go the lighter commuter bike route
Depends on how much stuff you will haul. My bike (not a cargo), has full racks and panniers, so 4 panniers, and a trunk bag which I removed to haul a tabletop gas grill of considerable size:

You should also try to cover other needs; Want to travel with the bike? A folder will make that easier. Even Bike Friday, known for their folders (not a quick fold, more for travel), their cargo bikes do not fold/take-apart to fit in a suitcase.

An e-bike is more expensive, and most cannot fly with the large battery size, but Bike Friday has a battery that comes apart into 3 individual batteries that passes flight regulations.

A friend of a friend just bought an e-bike that is a monster in specs for both motor and battery for about $2,000, I haven't heard back from him about it. But I'm sold on a folder; I don't need to fold it often, but when I do for transport, it's invaluable.

That said, most folders don't have "full" gearing; Bugged me forever, I finally retrofit my bike with wide range gearing (50/34 double crank), vastly improved the bike for the big hills here and shopping and touring loads. Some e-bikes are not retrofitable that way, relying on e-assist for hills. I want full gearing, even if I get an e-bike, in case battery dead or something breaks, I want to be able to get home.

Do you need to carry the bike up any stairs? Mine at 55 lbs (trunk bag full of tools, some backup clothes in panniers), is my limit, I live in a walkup and have no elevator. E-bikes are heavy.
Old 01-24-24, 11:54 AM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3242 Post(s)
Liked 2,086 Times in 1,181 Posts
If you manage the commute now on an analog bike, why get an e-bike ?. Outside of a lesser workout, what are you trying to achieve ?.. I would get your daughter a separate car and you keep yours for those times you can’t bike, bad weather, time conflicts, etc…. None of those solved with an e-bike.
Old 01-25-24, 01:55 AM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2496 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 523 Posts
Yes to electric Cargo Bike AND lighter non-assisted commute bike. No to 16 y.o. getting vehicle of their own. They should be driving under observation for many more months after passing their road test.
Old 01-26-24, 02:48 AM
Duragrouch

Originally Posted by Leisesturm
Yes to electric Cargo Bike AND lighter non-assisted commute bike. No to 16 y.o. getting vehicle of their own. They should be driving under observation for many more months after passing their road test.
+5 there buddy! Not just inexperience, but distraction from having friends riding in the car. Big fat no. Plus your insurance will skyrocket.

I wish all parents had the means to send their kids to advanced driving school, aka car control clinic. I have no kids, but if I did, I could easily do the "ground school" part myself, starting with, why seat belts save your life, then max braking (different with/without ABS), the mechanics of tire hydroplaning (happens in much less water than people realize), then the "friction circle" with regard to tire traction, then roll couple. (I'm a retired vehicle dynamics engineer, among other hats I wore in industry.) Then track practice.
Old 01-26-24, 08:48 AM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,020 Times in 572 Posts
When I was a kid we all got our first cars as soon as we saved enough to buy one. Having worked to pay for the car might have made us a bit more cautious in driving it.
Old 01-31-24, 01:56 AM
Duragrouch

Originally Posted by jon c.
When I was a kid we all got our first cars as soon as we saved enough to buy one. Having worked to pay for the car might have made us a bit more cautious in driving it.
I also worked to buy my first car. But truthfully, I wasn't cautious until I lost control completely, fortunately with no damage, drove a little better but still clueless. When I became a vehicle dynamics engineer, and with advanced training well past university, I came to understand how truly little I knew about driving. And the worst part is, the most valuable info is not that hard, no formulas, it could be taught to everyone, and most of it is classroom, doesn't require a race track. And I suspect, IS taught in other countries, where I hear it is much harder to get a driver's license. The US is notably poor in driver training. I'll bet by now there are good videos on youtube for the classroom stuff.