Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Bike brand rankings?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Bike brand rankings?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-08, 06:32 PM
ShadowGray
I like my car

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bike brand rankings?

What are the general bike brand rankings?

I know cannondale and trek are high up... where do schwinn and jamis fall in? Which is better, schwinn or jamis?

What other brands are out there?

I know huffy's like at the bottom.
Old 05-01-08, 06:35 PM
Nova5

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Walmart sells Schwinn... nuf said.

Used to ride a Schwinn until i got the trek a few years back. thou the schwinn did sit for 10 years unmaintained in a basement.. so it needs an oiling/cleaning/lubing... and a replacement of break cables. Just tested them last weekend with a squeeze and blew the plastic housing of the cables apart!
Old 05-01-08, 06:37 PM
huerro
Villainous

Bikes: Trek 420, Cyclops

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ShadowGray

I know cannondale and trek are high up... where do schwinn and jamis fall in? Which is better, schwinn or jamis?

Within all those brands there are models at many price points and quality levels. Except at the highest and the lowest end of the scale, the frames from different companies are often contracted out to the same factories in Asia and they have the same components.

You will be much better off comparing levels of components, finding the level you want, and then trying that level bike from a number of brands to see which one fits you best and looks best.

EDIT: BTW, even Huffy put their name on some very very nice bikes.

Last edited by huerro; 05-01-08 at 07:18 PM.
Old 05-01-08, 06:44 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 769 Post(s)
Liked 1,748 Times in 1,017 Posts
Originally Posted by huerro
Within all those brands there are models at many price points and quality levels. Except at the highest and the lowest end of the scale, the frames from different companies are often contracted out to the same factories in Asia and they have the same components.

You will be much better off comparing levels of components, finding the level you want, and then trying that level bike from a number of brands to see which one fits you best and looks best.
This is excellent advice.

Old 05-01-08, 07:09 PM
envane

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Seriously, all bike brands that appear in Local Bike Shops (LBS) are similar in quality at the same price point. Anything that appears in Walmart will be of lesser quality, even if it has the same brand as stuff you see in bike shops (Schwinn has its Walmart line and its LBS line).

You really, really need to stop agonizing about which bike to buy and just buy a cheap, functioning bike. And ride it and have fun. And eventually you'll figure out what bike you really want.
Old 05-01-08, 07:36 PM
jgedwa
surly old man

Bikes: IRO Mark V, Karate Monkey half fat, Trek 620 IGH, Cannondale 26/24 MTB, Amp Research B3, and more.

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 18 Posts
My favorite brand is:

"Overpriced, sterling-quality bike that was bought on impulse, ridden twice and then hung in the garage and then sold for a song on Craigs list ten years later"

They make good stuff.
Old 05-01-08, 08:11 PM
Mr. Jim
Bike Nerd

Bikes: mid 80's Fuji Supreme (commuter), LeRun unicycle thingy Raleigh Centrurion

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by jgedwa
My favorite brand is:

"Overpriced, sterling-quality bike that was bought on impulse, ridden twice and then hung in the garage and then sold for a song on Craigs list ten years later"

They make good stuff.
quite possibly the best post on bike purchasing I have ever read. My favorite bike is an old Fuji Supreme I got for $10 at a garage sale. Still had the little nubs on the tire when I got it. My cervelo and Giant hang on the wall neglected because I would rather ride the Fuji.
Old 05-01-08, 09:17 PM
akatsuki

Bikes: Lynskey R210, Miyata 610, Anchor PCD3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jgedwa
My favorite brand is:

They make good stuff.
Sadly, that brand has no distribution channels really here in the city...
Old 05-02-08, 11:50 AM
Pat

Bikes: litespeed, cannondale

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The bike manufacturers generally make only the frame. They buy the components from Shimano, Campy, Mavic and others.

Some manufacturers make a really basic frame so it is inexpensive and hang better than usual components on it for its price point. Other manufacturers make sophisticated frames that are costly so at the price point, you take a component hit. Often the same manufacturer will offer two models offering both of the above mentioned approaches.

The thing is that competition is very tough in the bike business. The LBS will not carry bad bikes. They don't have to. Bikes with similar components and similar frames (like low end carbon fiber race bike) are very similar.
Old 05-02-08, 12:08 PM
Nightshade
Humvee of bikes =Worksman

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Brands smans. It's all about the frame and the other components
quality that matter most. Learn those first to find a good to great bike.

Start with a lugged steel frame and build from there.

Originally Posted by krazygluon
Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred, which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?
Old 05-02-08, 12:16 PM
OPC
¡Pura Vida!

Bikes: '92 Bianchi Eros, '05 Bianchi Virata, Electra Straight 8

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Did a thread on this a while back:
https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...682&highlight=
'08 Electra Straight 8 Cruiser
Old 05-02-08, 03:02 PM
atomship47
the actual el guapo

Bikes: '06 trek 7300, '05 db wildwood, '07 felt z35

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
aren't they color-coded for quality?

celeste green bikes looking most like the kmart logo are entry level.
Old 05-02-08, 04:25 PM
Thor29

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This thread is kind of silly. There are hundreds of bike brands and each one makes a range of bikes. There are also quite a few different categories of bike with many different subcategories (mountain bike, road bike, cyclocross bike, single speed 29er mountain bike, trials bike, BMX bike...) There is just no way to accurately rank them.

My favorite bike brands are Surly, Niner, and Salsa. I have no interest in most of what the big manufacturers make, so to me these three brands rank higher than Trek, Specialized, and Cannondale. But like I said, there are way too many variables. A much better question (and still somewhat contentious) would be "what is the best bike model for a given bike category and price range".
Old 05-02-08, 04:32 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by ShadowGray

I'm thinking that it might be wiser to get out your flute BEFORE you open the basket of snakes.
Old 05-02-08, 04:41 PM
tulip

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I really like Jamis bikes. They have nice road, touring, mountain, city, and comfort bikes. They are comfortable, responsive, well-made, and reasonably priced. They have alot of steel bikes, which I value.
Old 05-02-08, 04:56 PM
Zan

Bikes: Road: Trek 1.5 (2007). Mountain: Santa Cruz Chameleon (2008). Beater: Peugeot Recorde du Monde (1850)

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
also depends on the intent of use of the bike. it's hard to compare a banshee and a ridley. one makes mountain, the other road.

i hope i'm not shot down by too many for this...

but i would say the BEST bike you can get is a custom-made frame specifically for you made outta your material of choice.
Old 05-02-08, 07:32 PM
badgermac

Bikes: 2013 Specialized Tarmac Sport; 2010 Specialized Allez Steel Double; 2015 Specialized Roubaix Sport; 2013 Jamis Satellite Sport

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Would a better question be:

"What brands should I look at and are there any I should avoid?"

Before joining these forums (being away from bikes for 15 years) there are names here that I wouldn't have recognized and thus would not have known to be good quality. If you dedicate some time to reading the forums you'll start to glean which are good and which aren't. Even the "good" ones have their lovers and haters so over time you'll learn which are "quality" but have their fanboys and haters.

I'm personally a Trek fan, not because of Lance, but because I'm a Wisconsinite and lived in a town where they had a manufacturing plant years back for accessories. Ironically, I dont' own one anymore, having gotten rid of mine for a Specialized MTB and a Giant Hybrid. Someday I'll go roadie and who knows what I'll buy after the test-rides.
Old 05-02-08, 07:35 PM
Plow13

Bikes: Lemond Alpe d'Huez 2005

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
just stay away from campy...go shimano =)
Old 05-02-08, 07:44 PM
deraltekluge

Bikes: Kona Cinder Cone, Sun EZ-3 AX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Nova5
Walmart sells Schwinn... nuf said.

Used to ride a Schwinn until i got the trek a few years back. thou the schwinn did sit for 10 years unmaintained in a basement.. so it needs an oiling/cleaning/lubing... and a replacement of break cables. Just tested them last weekend with a squeeze and blew the plastic housing of the cables apart!
There are Schwinns and then there are Schwinns. Try looking up the WalMart, Target, et al., Schwinns on the Schwinn website...you probably won't find most of those models. It's kinda like they don't want to admit to building them.
Old 05-03-08, 09:01 AM
MichaelW

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Thor29
This thread is kind of silly. There are hundreds of bike brands and each one makes a range of bikes. There are also quite a few different categories of bike with many different subcategories (mountain bike, road bike, cyclocross bike, single speed 29er mountain bike, trials bike, BMX bike...) There is just no way to accurately rank them.
If your bike gets stolen and you want an insurance company to replace it (rather than just give you some cash) , then does the brand matter? If you can't get an exact replacement, would you want a similar model from the same brand? Would you want a model from a similar type of brand, eg a Specialized for a Trek or a Cannondale. Would you care if you got a Shimano 105-equipped Schwinn to replace your stolen 105-equipped Cervelo?
Old 05-03-08, 09:41 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by huerro
That's what I think too. I have some bicycle brand preferences but they really aren't based on anything objective.
Old 05-03-08, 10:02 AM
JonathanGennick 

Bikes: Priority 600, Priority Continuum, Devinci Dexter

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 685 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by badgermac
Would a better question be:

"What brands should I look at and are there any I should avoid?"
That's a fair question. When I give advice to friends who are beginners, or who are at least not bike-crazed like I am, I suggest brands like: Specialized, Giant, Kona, Trek, Gary Fisher. I do not rank the brands in any order. I suggest those particular brands because they are brands I personally would spend my own money on, and because there are good, local dealers who carry them.

Then I pass on my thoughts about the different local dealers. For example, one particular LBS seems to have more going on in the way of commuter bikes. Another tends towards high-end mountain bikes. Another has a very enthusiastic bike mechanic whom I happen to enjoy talking to.

In the "avoid" department, I caution friends on buying department-store bikes. I won't come out and say "don't buy them". But I will suggest that simpler is better. A $200 recreational Schwinn is a safer department-store buy than a $52.99 full-suspension mountain-bike. I have plenty of personal anecdotes to pass on that give friends a flavor of what to expect from cheap bikes. Mostly though, I focus on the positive, and on pointing beginners towards the local dealers.
Old 05-03-08, 03:10 PM
justin_otherguy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not to hijack this, but I've been lurking for a while and am a total noob to the arena of quality bikes. I have been doing quite a bit of research and checking my LBSs. I was looking at a Raleigh Venture 4.0, but I very rarely see anyone even mention the brand among Trek, Giant, et al. Why is that? I know it has a smaller share of the market, but seems to have a quality product. Am I over analyzing things?
Old 05-03-08, 04:17 PM
donnamb 
tired

Bikes: Breezer Uptown 8, U frame

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by tulip
I really like Jamis bikes. They have nice road, touring, mountain, city, and comfort bikes. They are comfortable, responsive, well-made, and reasonably priced. They have alot of steel bikes, which I value.
When you compare Jamis bikes to other brands in the same price range, you will often find better quality components on the Jamis. Very good value. It's also a small company, if that has meaning to you.
"Real wars of words are harder to win. They require thought, insight, precision, articulation, knowledge, and experience. They require the humility to admit when you are wrong. They recognize that the dialectic is not about making us look at you, but about us all looking together for the truth."
Old 05-04-08, 06:52 AM
envane

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by justin_otherguy
Not to hijack this, but I've been lurking for a while and am a total noob to the arena of quality bikes. I have been doing quite a bit of research and checking my LBSs. I was looking at a Raleigh Venture 4.0, but I very rarely see anyone even mention the brand among Trek, Giant, et al. Why is that? I know it has a smaller share of the market, but seems to have a quality product. Am I over analyzing things?
Yes, you are over-analysing, especially for the type of bike your looking at. Raleigh's are a good brand. I owned the Giant equivalent of the Venture (the Cypress) and had some mechanical issues with it, so brand name doesn't guarantee anything.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.