Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Riding at night any more dangerous?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-11, 04:43 AM
rolliepollie
Flying Pig

Bikes: 06 Specialized Allez Sport, '10 Trek Fuel EX 7

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Seems like everyone thinks night riding is more dangerous than daytime, but is it really? Are there studies or statistics on this? Anyone here ride so late?

I'm beginning to enjoy night riding around 9-midnight when the sky is completely dark-something about my 750-lumen headlight blitzing the dark that's gratifying to me. But I keep thinking I'm taking a significant risk going out that late - whether from drunk/tired drivers, thugs, muggers, boogeymen, etc. There will be times when I imagine I'll ride much past midnight. This is in San Francisco, and for now usually ride from Sunset district into Golden Gate Park, through Presidio into Marina. At times I see some loiterers, and there's always some dude with a flashlight walking around on the road in the Presidio...As I get more fit will also be heading across the bridge into Marin.

I got a red blinkie in the back and about to get a reflective ankle band so visibility shouldn't be an issue. I also bring pepper spray.

Get me out of this suicide run mindset everytime I step into the shadows...unless it's justified?

Last edited by rolliepollie; 08-02-11 at 10:34 AM.
Old 08-02-11, 04:54 AM
Shytheed Dumas

Bikes: Trek 7000, Road Bike TBD

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I start most of my rides before sunrise and do worry about riding in the dark, but mostly about distracted sleepy drivers heading to work. Blinkies are always on and I wear bright yellow or white, but I am curious on the statistics as well.
Old 08-02-11, 04:57 AM
STP

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'll let someone else speak to urban night riding as I don't do that. Rural night riding, on the other hand, is fine. No statistics, of course, just first hand experience. I worry less about loiterers and criminals and more about wildlife and poor gravel road conditions. Good luck, because I DO find night riding to be a nice diversion from day riding. Too bad there's no scenery to look at, though. It's just the constant patch of planet earth sliding beneath you illuminated by your light.
Old 08-02-11, 05:43 AM
kstephens

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 10 Posts
I did some night riding this summer. I always felt a little more visible at night (head light/flashing light). I don't go as fast in the dark after a few close encounters with deer. Also, dogs seem to be a bit more interested in chasing you at night.
Old 08-02-11, 05:52 AM
pmt
Experienced

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For most of the year, our daily morning club ride starts in the dark, and it finishes in the dark for several winter months. Nobody has a problem as we're all lit up with good front/rear light kits and wear reflective gear. I've also done brevets that start in the early morning, and a 200k ride that we started at 2000 and rode all night until 0400. No trouble there, though it was quite rural. Night riding can be a lot safer as the cars can see you from much further away, assuming you have proper lighting.

Of course, I'd avoid a route that passes by a bunch of bars at midnight, 0100 or 0200, as those are common closing times.
Old 08-02-11, 05:59 AM
banerjek
Portland Fred

Bikes: Custom Winter, Challenge Seiran SL, Fuji Team Pro, Cattrike Road/Velokit, РOS hybrid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 35 Posts
I ride thousands of miles in the dark every year. I personally think it is safer than a lot of daylight riding. If you are properly lit, you are far more visible and recognizable as a cyclist than you are on a sunny day.

You need real lights and good reflective gear to be visible. I think that most blinkies are completely inadequate. The way to know if yours is good is if it's easily visible in broad daylight.

If you ride on paths rather than roads, my comments do not apply as darkness cloaks your threats, and the issue is not being seen but rather not being ambushed.
Old 08-02-11, 06:08 AM
StephenH
Uber Goober

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts
Back when I was hiking, I'd always read the advice, "Never hike alone!" Only they never told you who the heck you were supposed to hike with, and since I didn't know anyone else or any club that went to the same places at the same time and speed, I just hiked by myself all the time.

It's similar with the "Never ride at night!" advice. It may in fact be more dangerous, but it'd be hard to show. Probably 2/3 of the cyclists that are killed at night don't have ANY lights. For people properly lit, the hazard seems to be drunk/sleeping/texting drivers that are just completely oblivious to their surroundings. Anyway, there is lots of night riding done, and I have yet to find a good alternative. It's not like my boss is going to let me work the night shift so I can ride in the daytime all year.
Old 08-02-11, 06:39 AM
Northwestrider

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker, Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo, Dahon Mu P 24 , Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Rodriguez Tandem, Wheeler MTB

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd suggest you find something stronger for the rear light than the blinky you have now. I'm not riding in the city, but feel riding at night is over all safer than during the day. Fewer cars, less pollution, no statistics, it's my impression after a period of a few years.
Old 08-02-11, 06:45 AM
daven1986

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
If you have good lights then I say it is often safer than cycling during the day. A directional light on your helmet also works very well.
Old 08-02-11, 06:49 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Stats (though I don't remember where I got them) - only 3% of bicycle riding happens at night, but 50% of cyclists fatalities happen at night, primarily from cyclists without proper lighting.
Old 08-02-11, 07:08 AM
ErichM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by banerjek
I ride thousands of miles in the dark every year. I personally think it is safer than a lot of daylight riding. If you are properly lit, you are far more visible and recognizable as a cyclist than you are on a sunny day.

You need real lights and good reflective gear to be visible. I think that most blinkies are completely inadequate. The way to know if yours is good is if it's easily visible in broad daylight.

If you ride on paths rather than roads, my comments do not apply as darkness cloaks your threats, and the issue is not being seen but rather not being ambushed.
I've been thinking of getting a couple lights so the hours I can ride are expanded a bit. Make a suggestion on front/rear lights?
Old 08-02-11, 07:37 AM
patentcad
Peloton Shelter Dog

Bikes: 2017 Scott Foil, 2016 Scott Addict SL, 2018 Santa Cruz Blur CC MTB

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1142 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
No, it's perfectly safe.

Wear black.
Old 08-02-11, 07:39 AM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 206 Posts
I'm pretty well lit up when I ride at night, so I feel like I'm no more likely to get hit by a car. But for me the real danger is not being to adequately see road debris, pot holes, large ruts and other road hazards.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 08-02-11, 07:44 AM
Hunt-man
Tete de Couch

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by patentcad
No, it's perfectly safe.

Wear black.
And drink a lot of beer first...
Old 08-02-11, 08:00 AM
Scorer75

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
From personal experience, I find riding at night slightly safer. Let me first say that I have a number of lights on my bike.

Rear blinkie, helmet blinkie, headlight, and front blinkies. Also have rear facing blinkies in the ends of my drop bars.

My experience is that during the day cars can see you and are unafraid to buzz you, relying on their "awesome" driving skills to come within inches of you without hitting you.

At night, when they cannot clearly see your outline, rather just a bunch of lights, so they give you more room.

Just my opinion.
Old 08-02-11, 08:00 AM
pallen
Descends like a rock

Bikes: Scott Foil, Surly Pacer

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 8 Posts
Yeah, I think the stats on night riding are skewed by many factors - alcohol (drivers and bikers), improper lighting, etc...

Right now, I would say its much safer since your risk or heat stroke is diminished greatly by riding at night.
Old 08-02-11, 08:17 AM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 929 Times in 614 Posts
My night bike also has reflective tape on the crankarms, a couple of pieces on the rims, and the fork blades & seat stays. I think the movement of the cranks may alert drivers a bit more than just a blinkie. I sometimes wear a reflective vest over my clothing. I get fairly Freddish when it comes to night riding, unlike my usual daytime roadie outfit.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 08-02-11, 08:40 AM
eippo1
I like beans

Bikes: Tarmac Pro, Bianchi Zurigo, Raleigh Gran Sport, Fuji Del Rey, Ironman Centurion

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Get this for the rear. It's on sale now and one of the brightest around.
https://www.dinottelighting.com/LED_b...-taillight.htm
Old 08-02-11, 08:45 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,246 Times in 624 Posts
Originally Posted by eippo1
Get this for the rear. It's on sale now and one of the brightest around.
https://www.dinottelighting.com/LED_b...-taillight.htm
No Longer on Sale

Old 08-02-11, 08:46 AM
FrenchFit 
The Left Coast, USA

Bikes: Bulls, Bianchi, Koga, Trek, Miyata

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by banerjek

Agreed. I am strickly on the road and urban pass-thrus. I think you are genuinely noticed if you are well lighted. My concerns are limited to runners, walkers, and road hazards. I've charged up on people in the dark, wearing dark clothes and no lights while walking or running on the shoulder or in the bike lane. Occasionally I'm surprised by rocks, branches, car parts in your line ...not much time to adjust. So, you have to be observant.

I do avoid late nights, past a certain hour you are on the road with the drunks rolling out of the bars.

I use one of those superflashes for the rear, it seems to get noticed.
Old 08-02-11, 08:49 AM
eofelis 
The Rock Cycle

Bikes: Salsa Vaya Ti, Specialized Ruby, Gunnar Sport, Motobecane Fantom CXX, Jamis Dragon, Novara Randonee x2

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by STP
Rural night riding, on the other hand, is fine. No statistics, of course, just first hand experience. I worry less about loiterers and criminals and more about wildlife and poor gravel road conditions.
I generally like riding at night, but I'm more wary after an incident last summer. My bf, a friend and I were night riding (all lit up, etc) on a rural road. We were jra when a big racoon jumped out of a ditch next to the road right into my bf's back wheel. Knocked the bike right out from underneath him. He went straight down on the white line. Knocked him out. (He had a helmet on, helmet shattered as it should). Ambulance ride to ER, 2 cat scans. Grade 3 concussion, minor brain hemmorage(sp?)

The cars don't worry me as much as the unpredictable critters.
Novara Randonee x2
Motobecane Fantom CXX
Jamis Dakar XCR
Old 08-02-11, 08:56 AM
eippo1
I like beans

Bikes: Tarmac Pro, Bianchi Zurigo, Raleigh Gran Sport, Fuji Del Rey, Ironman Centurion

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by 10 Wheels
No Longer on Sale
Well this one then. Probably a better light (less blinding):
https://store.dinottelighting.com/sha...ount2=45890450
Old 08-02-11, 09:24 AM
banerjek
Portland Fred

Bikes: Custom Winter, Challenge Seiran SL, Fuji Team Pro, Cattrike Road/Velokit, РOS hybrid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by ErichM
I've been thinking of getting a couple lights so the hours I can ride are expanded a bit. Make a suggestion on front/rear lights?
Depends on your budget. Because safety is so important, it's not a good place to cheap out. Besides, better lights make night riding way more fun.

For taillights, the Dinotte is fabulous but spendy. NiteRider universal tail is also excellent. Among the cheaper lights, most are junk. The PlanetBike Superflash is a very good value and is one of the few cheaper blinkies I can recommend as is the Radbot 1000.

Headlight needs depend on where and how you ride. I use a 13W HID system, but many of the new LED models are pretty decent. I think something that gives off 200 lumens is an absolute minimum, and more is better.
Old 08-02-11, 09:29 AM
OPC
¡Pura Vida!

Bikes: '92 Bianchi Eros, '05 Bianchi Virata, Electra Straight 8

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
A little out of date (2009 publication), but interesting:
"Almost three-fourths (72%) of the pedalcyclist fatalities were killed during the
daytime between the hours of 4 a.m. and 8 p.m., a 6-percent increase from the
previous year. The remaining 27 percent were killed during the nighttime hours, a
13-percent decrease from the previous year. Table 2 shows the pedalcyclist fatalities
by time of day for 2008 and 2009."

Source here: NHTSA Traffic Safety Facts
'08 Electra Straight 8 Cruiser
Old 08-02-11, 09:30 AM
Doohickie
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 44 Posts
Riding through the hispanic neighborhood at about 11 pm. I used to think this area was not wise to go through even in daytime. Night or day, it's really a quiet area. I still keep my guard up, mostly for dogs, but I haven't had any issues at all.

As for lighting, 200 lumens is a good level. I've tried brighter lights and frankly I think they can be too much in that, sure, in a narrow cone of light you see everything, but then your night vision and therefore peripheral vision is compromised.

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.